Is it possible the Pats deliberatley tanked the Ravens' game to avoid the new final-8 F/A rule?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Is it possible the Pats deliberatley tanked the Ravens' game to avoid the new final-8 F/A rule?

I know it appears disloyal to consider this, but with the new rule for 2010 dictating that the final eight teams in the post-season will only be able to sign one F/A player for each one they lose, could BB and Kraft have decided that since they had no realistic chance to win the SB for 2009 (especially after Welker wnet down), and they are in rebuilding mode, that it might be wise to tank the first round and better position the team for the next four years?  Would not be the craziest strategy, IMO. What do you all say?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

Re: Is it possible the Pats deliberatley tanked the Ravens' game to avoid the new final-8 F/A rule?

Better be careful with those kind of theories. They seem to stir up a lot of hate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

Re: Is it possible the Pats deliberatley tanked the Ravens' game to avoid the new final-8 F/A rule?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

LOL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

So Matt Light has a cat that wears tin foil hats?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I remember Parcells throwing the Super Bowl because he couldn't "buy the groceries." He didn't even ride home with the team after they lost to Green Bay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I don't think any of us will forget that one.

But look at all of the teams that throw games to improve their positions: The Colts losing to the Titans in late 2007 to get a softer post-season schedule; teams that want to get the number the number one draft pick; any other case? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I would think that Bill is made of better stuff than that.  Plus if win it means you don't have a lot of holes to fill anyway.  If you have any you try to fill them by means of the draft and not FA.  But that might just be me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent56. Show agent56's posts

I hate to say Chris but it is a business so you could be right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Lord knows the team came out with zero energy.

There are a variety of other possible reasons, but who knows.

Trading Seymour in the preseason, after the rookies already got to know him, had a chilling effect on the motivation of the youngsters. It probably made it more challenging to put their hearts on their sleaves and give all out dediction to Belichick and "the Patriot way," learning all too early that this is just a business and loyalty is not a two way street.

We know BB is very capable of intentionally sacrificing short-term success for the long-term good of the franchise. If BB did less than his all to motivate the team for Baltimore, it would just be another example.

I'm glad to have Oakland's 1st in 2011, and glad to have the 22nd pick and a FA advantage next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

No way. BB wouldn't go that far. Plus, they got pushed around all game and you can't coach a player to get his a*ss kicked all day. If it were about scheme maybe you could make that argument. Plus, did BB look like he wanted to lose?

With that said I hope they benefit from the extra time and final 8 rule.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kG-solo. Show kG-solo's posts

I agree that its possible.  Also, they will have a higher draft than some of the other playoff teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

KG, as I understand, play-off success does not play into the draft order.  The draft order is only based on the regular season, so Arizona got better draft positon last year than all the other post-season teams, save for maybe San Diego, even though Arizona was in the SB.  That is, unless I am mistaken.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

On the one hand, I make it a hobby debunking conspiracies.  Not that I don't think any exist, I just don't think 90% of them exist.  Could I imagine a scenario where BB and Kraft say "we're not going all of the way with this team, why handicap ourselves in the FA market?"  Only if I really go on a stretch.

That said, there is no way they could have involved the players without it coming out and becoming a huge story.  You'd need the players involved to get Wilfork to let Rice bulldoze him, Brady to "throw the ball away" to the Ravens, and so on.

So no, I don't think that happened.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I agree with Carawaydj. I highly doubt they would risk a run at another title, and it would be impossible to keep it under wraps. They got outplayed, and that's it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

You make a good point CARAWAY, the players could absolutely not be involved and they certainly would not help the team replace them in th ecoming season, but all the coach would have to do is hatch a vanilla game plan and let the players - who we all agree have not played well against any good teams this season - do their usual thing.  Brady throws crazy because he has three of the best pass rushers in the league making a bee-line for his ribs, Wilfork is double-teamed and the so-so LBs blow the support, etc.

Well, if there is a silver lining, it is that they won't have to deal with this stupid rule.  I would much rather the NFL have a rookie salary cap to bring parity than this stupid idea.  Heck, it is even conceivable to me that BB did this just to prove it is a stupid rule, the way some fans think BB deliberately and openly taped defenses in 2006 and 2007 in defiance of what he thought was a stupid or practically unenforcible rule.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Think about it.  Maybe the chacne he did this are only 2%.  But in the future, how many weak play-off teams do you think will be tempted to tank the first round so they don't get hobbled by this rule?  I think you are definitely going to some teams do it, sooner or later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This isn't the conspiracy that I would have imagined.  If you have a good team, winning the Super Bowl is always possible with all the other injuries around the league, and by my numbers the Pats had a pretty good team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

The Pats sure looked like they didn't want to win. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Just found this on another thread. VERY germain:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Pats-loss-was-a-good-thing.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

The thought crossed my mind too...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

Threadstarter has to be retarded.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

OMG, another conspiracy?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Herm Edwards thinks differently:

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Fitz, if you are so brilliant, why is that the best comment you come up with?