Is Peyton Manning Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Is Peyton Manning Done?

What do you consider done? Playing football? If Manning can't play football and he knows he's done he could milk this out, grab all the endorsements for life. He's newly divorced isn't he? My sympathy's Manning. He could stay out for this season, see how he feels next training camp and look at the pile of cash and then retire. Maybe a settlement, maybe a deal is a deal. Regardless he'll never have to do anything that he can't pay someone else to do for him.

Wouldn't it be ironic if 6 or 7 years from now Brady is playing in the hall of fame game of Gomers induction ceremony.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

This will be the point where we find out if Caldwell can actually coach, or is a robot controlled by Peyton through hand gestures at the line of scrimmage and forehead transmitted telepathy.  I'm voting robot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Bad news if true. I hope this isn't the end for Manning. He's one of those guys you love to "hate"(in the gamesmanship sense) because he is so good. But love him or not, he deserves all respect. I wish him all the best and hope I get the chance to see the Pats beat him again.

Good luck, Peyton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is Peyton Manning Done? : Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. Gonna be a long season in Indy.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Check out some of these posts from Indy fans in response to the IndyStar article entitled "Nothing is Certain When Dealing With Nerve Injuries", which I cited in my initial post:

1.) The news keeps getting worse.
    From personal experience, it was a full year after the surgery before I felt 'right' again. Even now, 2 years later, there are still twinges and other occasional symptoms. I can't imagine trying to play football with such a chronic condition.
    The 'four tires on your car and one goes bad' analogy is disturbing;

2.)@Voice-of-truth - This is not a play through it type of injury. Dan Marino had a similar injury late in his career, and until he recovered he could not curl a 10 pound weight. How much weight was he used to curling? 60 pounds! In case this is not clear, the muscles do not respond no matter how much you will them or how much effort you expend. And it is likely there is not much or not pain associated with the weak arm.

Considering all of this, I am starting to have serious mis-givings about Irsay signing the 90 million dollar contract which even if they cut Manning today will have salary cap implications for years and conceivably prevent the Colts from fielding a competitive team. For those of you who don't know how this works it is a formula that the Colts are committed to with the rest of the league even if Manning agreed to cancel the contract forgo all monies (I am not advocating this btw).

The Colts would not be on the hook for all 90 million over 5 years, but there would be millions in cap impact for the next few years. This money would not be available for other necessary players. A disaster. I'm not saying Irsay didn't demand a thorough physical and full accounting from a battery of medical experts, or did he?

3.) Coming from a credible source I have heard that the most appropriate procedure was not performed on Manning and therefore he will have to go back under the knife and could possibly miss the entire season.

4.) As an old Baltimore Colt fan, I can remember what it was like to see Johnny U deteriorate and end up with the Chargers. Sad to see. At least Jim Irsay (the good Irsay not like his drunken father) paid to keep Payton a Colt forever. Now it will be interesting to see if the Indy fans stay with the Colts once Manning is gone for good (which could be now) or will they abandon them once they become an average team at best for years to come? Good luck with that.

5.) Lets face it folks, he's done for the year....That being said I think we need to get Garrard. If Collins goes down, and you know he will with the young line we have, we need someone other than Painter to step in. Plus, Garrard can escape the pocket, something Collins and/or Painter can NOT do.

6.) Payton has all the money he will ever need. If I were him I wouldn't risk a life of pain just for a few games or even one season. He'll either get better or he'll retire early but playing now with a bunch of rookie linemen makes no sense. We all know that the Colts have to go on after Manning at some point- he is not getting any younger- might as well get used to it now. Problem is that Polian never planned for the future and now has to take the responsibility for this season either way. I hope he comes back but not at the risk of his long term health. Now Mr. Bill, please go draft a quarterback in the next draft like you should have done years ago.

7.) This season will be a foreshadowing of the Post-Peyton era, or for those long-time Colts fans "Back to the Future" to the Pre-Peyton era. Finally the Colts Front Office will be exposed nationally, to what many Colts fans already know, How they have failed to address this team's many shortcomings. Deficiencies that had been covered up by Manning's MVP caliber play over the years. The fact that they didn't have an adequate backup lined up until late in the pre-season/training camp is just icing on the cake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

i don't care about the colts anymore, their run is over. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]This will be the point where we find out if Caldwell can actually coach, or is a robot controlled by Peyton through hand gestures at the line of scrimmage and forehead transmitted telepathy.  I'm voting robot.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

You know that's good point. Pouting was probably what kept them alive last year. Caldwell is a dud.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

So what's that, 3 surgery's he will have had now after the next one is done? He should just retire now. I loathe the colts and seeing him pout when on the losing end against the Pats brings me much joy but I don't want to see him suffer an injury that could put him in a bad place.
        Take the money and run forehead, you've got your family and the rest of your life to think about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]This will be the point where we find out if Caldwell can actually coach, or is a robot controlled by Peyton through hand gestures at the line of scrimmage and forehead transmitted telepathy.  I'm voting robot.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

This will also allow us to find out whether UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(gggg)", is a true Colts' fans, or merely a front runner, and Manning worshipper.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? :      This will also allow us to find out whether UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(gggg)", is a true Colts' fans, or merely a front runner, and Manning worshipper.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Oh, I think we all know the answer to that, don't we?  Where is he now?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for your input Jay. I didn't really need to hear you whine about my whine. Apologies to TP for my initial post....
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't apologize to TP.  The guy is one of the biggest hypocrites on the board.  Although coming from a different perspective, both he and Rusty are cut from the same cloth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]vpinidi, That tweet can't be true.  Manning just spoke to the media today and made no mention of a 3rd surgery.  Not sure where that guy got his info.  Maybe from the speculative Indy radio host who said Manning was going to undergo a 3rd surgery.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]
    I think it could be very possible.  If he spoke on the phone and the call was to his cell, he could have been anywhere. 

Whatever the case, there is nothing but total speculation about his condition. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

one things for sure, the colts wouldn't go 11-5 without manning playing for the season, even in their weak division.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I know a lot of people do not like King...

Peter King 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? :      This will also allow us to find out whether UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(gggg)", is a true Colts' fans, or merely a front runner, and Manning worshipper.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

he wont be showing up here after a couple of weeks into the season. the same goes for that stiff that likes the jets when they suck too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Peyton Manning Done? : I wouldn't apologize to TP.  The guy is one of the biggest hypocrites on the board.  Although coming from a different perspective, both he and Rusty are cut from the same cloth.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Again...coming from the likes of you, I take that as a compliment. LOL!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Love the way you ignore tp.  keep it up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Come on guys, don't load up on UD6, she's going through a mourning period now that Peyton looks shelved for good. We went through it for 1 year with Brady, and knows how it feels when you feel the entire year, the entire future, slipping through you fingers.

on a personal note, I've had neck injuries, and suffer permanent nerve damage in one of my arms. I basically have no feeling in 3/4 of my right arm, and it's a daily struggle.

On the bright side, I'm not planning on getting smothered by 350lb defensive linemen either. But if I was, believe me, football would be the furthest thing from my mind.

The Colts future is now. Collins as a filler, maybe Gerrard. Can the Colts possibly throw this year in the toilet and draft Manning 2.0 in Luck? Now that would be something...back to back franchise QB's...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

preciate the love lifer, but I'll be ok. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

IMO PM's gridiron days are likely over; even if his arm is fine, how can he keep taking a pounding with this kind of injury? What if he gets blindsided by a 300+ pound super fast missile/truck of a goon looking to test the neck? He has his ring, legacy, and money; he's got too much to live for to risk ending up in a wheelchair, or worse. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Oh, look, its UD6!!!!!!!  Hey, your franchise QB is done.  I'm not one of those people who will say thats too bad.  I am only hoping that once your team turns into the 8-8 mush that it really is, you will stop coming here.  Have a nice day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

Heard on Mike and Mike today that many of the medical "experts" that work for football teams think that Manning may be out for the season, to preserve future years.  I cannot tell you who they  (M & M) were talking with but the main point being made was, a stiff neck and shoulder do not take hits well and more damage could be done by rushing back onto the field.

Take it for what its worth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Jim Irsay 
    NFL Season opens 2nite!We had a good practice yesterday and r guys r fired up 4 the season. #18's out for awhile, but compete, we will/BELIEVE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Heard on Mike and Mike today that many of the medical "experts" that work for football teams think that Manning may be out for the season, to preserve future years.  I cannot tell you who they  (M & M) were talking with but the main point being made was, a stiff neck and shoulder do not take hits well and more damage could be done by rushing back onto the field. Take it for what its worth.
    Posted by Geographer91[/QUOTE]

There's been some of this discussion locally.  Apparently the issue is that while the nerve should regenerate itself, there's no timetable on that although many expected it to happen by now. 

I think the colts probably move forward without any expectations for Manning this year, but if the nerves start to take, then he comes back.  If he can't come back and the prospects aren't good for next year, then I think he needs to hang it up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Colts appear to be in "cover up" mode on the condition of Manning: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/8/2412164/jim-irsay-peyton-manning-will-be-out-for-awhile-but-did-not-have-new

It's kind of similar to the way UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(gggg)" authors his posts...LOL!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I read some of the fan responses and there doesn't seem to be any panic.  A lot of head scratching though trying to figure out what's going on.  No hand wringing though which surprised me.