Is the O-Line at fault?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Is the O-Line at fault?

Is there more blame to place on the O-Line as much as there is the RBs?  I was thinking about the lack high picks made across the O-line (except for Mankins) and it's effect on our rushing game.  

I think BB has done well at picking up good linemen in the mid rounds, but maybe they should spend a few more 1st rounders in this area.  Maybe that is where our problems lie?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Is the O-Line at fault?

I've been saying this on here for a couple a years now. Other than Mankins and Vollmer the rest of the line has to be replaced. Both Light and Koppen have diminished skills and Neal is hurt to often. Kaczur flatout stinks. Connelly and the rest are backups. I would like to see the Pats use one of there 2nd rounders on the Oline...most likely won't happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Not at fault just aging aside from Vollmer and Mankins.........the rest need to be replaced sooner then  later if you don't want Brady in a body cast by week three......Koppen , Neal and Light are old and have to go...........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I could see the Pats taking a center/OG in the 4th or fifth. I still see the 2nd round as a decent place to grab a stud lineman like Vollmer. It would be nice to get a draft riser like Vollmer and not have slim pickins. As far as I am concerned if the Pats draft an OLman in the 1st he better be pro-bowl caliber (eg; Mankins or Glenn or Ogden in past....and yeah I am aware of where they were drafted). No expensive Robert Gallerys please.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think it's telling when the guy who was starting, Kaczur, was so inferior to a rookie lineman. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

In Response to Re: Is the O-Line at fault?:
    I could see the Pats taking a center/OG in the 4th or fifth. I still see the 2nd round as a decent place to grab a stud lineman like Vollmer. It would be nice to get a draft riser like Vollmer and not have slim pickins. As far as I am concerned if the Pats draft an OLman in the 1st he better be pro-bowl caliber (eg; Mankins or Glenn or Ogden in past....and yeah I am aware of where they were drafted). No expensive Robert Gallerys please.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

JohnH, Slim Pickens would be better than Kaczur...Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I've been saying this on here for a couple a years now. Other than Mankins and Vollmer the rest of the line has to be replaced. Both Light and Koppen have diminished skills and Neal is hurt to often. Kaczur flatout stinks. Connelly and the rest are backups. I would like to see the Pats use one of there 2nd rounders on the Oline...most likely won't happen.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

10-4 Roadking. These guys have been highly over rated through the years because of the success of Brady. Matt light makes some righteous cash for being a turnstile. I don't know whether it's the general philosiphy or just the plain talent but we need changes there in a big way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

A lot of people are clamoring for an RB.  I think we need to address the Oline before we pick a running back.  Upgrading the Oline would do 3 things:  It would improve our run blocking which would improve our running game, it would help protect Brady, and it would allow our TEs to run passing routes instead of staying in to block.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Exactly, well said Zach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

They also helped to limit the quality of our passing game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yes, exactly.  The Pats O-line could make Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson look mediocre.  Forget about pass protection, Brady will be in the nursing home by 35 if they don't get some talent on the line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Bleh.  These guys play with pride and heart...give them a stinking chance!  When you start a series in the redzone in 4 wide shotgun, what do you expect? A 15 yard draw on 3rd and 12? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Partially. I'm pretty happy w/ Mankins and Vollmer. It would be interesting to see what might happen if we let Vollmer and Mankins start from the same side over time and their impact on the running game. If given the chance, I'm betting they'd enjoy the option of takin it to the guys they're facing.

Not really sure, but I've always gotten the impression that our offensive line was built to protect Brady - but they never appeared to open up holes for the running game. With recurrent injuries to koppen and neal - things have fallen apart the past 2 years.

We need some guys on the right side who can not only protect Brady (w/ less help from TEs and RBs) - but open up some holes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

I have been saying this since the days of Steve Grogan! (all kidding aside).
    This front line has always been over rated due to Brady dumping the ball off quickly and Corey Dillon. If Sam Morris could have stayed healthy he would have been a very helpful runningback even Taylor.
    No, they have to be replaced, at least with a good O-line you keep the other teams offense off the field and swallow up minutes. The 3 and outs are starting to mount and Brady cannot take this type of beating every year, Guzzle, I mean Gazelle, I mean, ahhh you know her name she wont like her man getting beat up every week.
    The one thing about Old Tuna, he always wants a big O-line and hes right. You cant have the meat without Potato's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Oline play is the one part of football I understand completely.  Vollmer is a stud and obviously Mankins is also. I can deal with Koppen till his contract is up and the same with Light. We have to find a RG that will make the interior Oline solid. Koppen was trying to compensate for below average play out of the RG spot often this past year. Add a solid RG through the draft or free agency and this Oline is championship caliber in 2010. RB's like Spiller come around rarely he has league MVP capability.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

I knew in the 1987 sb unless we start grogan over eason [scared in the pocket ,we had no chance] you need oline over anything else to do anything.Thats when idiots say draft a running back first don't get building a team and running the football is function of o Line ,and how will we pass with out a good line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I think Matt Light needs to go. He gets beat all the time............at least take him off Bradys blindside before he gets killed.......I hope they take a couple olineman with there three second round picks............Brady on his back does us no good............

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Three games basically ended last season because of Brady getting sacked.

Two of those involved Kazcur.

The other was Koppen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

So do we go O-Line with #22?  I don't really get it because BB has picked so many DL with his #1s (Warren, Wilfork, and Seymour).  If he respects the trenches so much, why not use a few more 1st rounders on the other side?

I'm not even sure who is a good lineman at 22ish.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think BB like to develop O lineman more so than the d lineman. He and Scarnechia like to turn chicken s*** into chicken salad, and sometimes it works (Hochstein was a very serviceable swing guy). After watching how much an improvement Vollmer was it might make sense to look for these guys higher in the draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

Looks like Iupati might be in our range.  This site has him at #16 overall.  There seems to be a big drop off in talent after that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I like most of the posts in here. I agree highly that the problem with the running game has been the offensive line and it is due mostly to the fact that the line has been built more to pass protect than run block. This o-line is getting older and it shows. Vollmer is a stud, and so is Mankins. They are responsible for most of Maroney's 750 yards this year. I think Maroney could be great if he can get out of the backfield. And before someone says the same old garbage about too much tap dancing behind the line of scrimmage..I say this.. go back and watch game tape of Maroney when there is a hole there vs. when there isnt one. If there is a hole, he hits it and if not he has to try to sidestep and "dance" around the defenders coming freely at him through the right side of our line so that he doesnt get tackled for a loss. I have never seen him turn down an open hole and when he has one he usually picks up close to ten yards. So yeah we should rebuild the line before drafting a running back who wont have a hole to run through either. And as someone else said this would keep Brady healthier, improve the running game and allow out tight ends to be a bigger part of the passing game.  check him out and tell me where he dances? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ6slVL-4OI&NR=1
    Posted by dshort3333

Agreed dshort -
    Maroney is decent RB.  He suffered this year from below average run blocking and predictable play calling.  I think an upgrade in the Oline and a little more creativity in play calling would reveal Maroney as an above average RB.  He showed that he can punish line backers when he hits the holes. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATsitsos. Show ATsitsos's posts

Great posts. Love reading them here in my home in far away Greece.
    Best way to follow the Patriots - my team since I grew up near Boston in the 60s
    Unfortunately, I do not get to see them play but maybe once or twice a year when I visit the States. My opinion then is based more on the info I read on this site (mainly) and articles by various sports writers.
    The biggest problem I see for the Pats is the offensive line.
    A team can have the greatest backs in the world but if the linemen cannot open the holes they will have nowhere to run. A hall of fame quarterback can have all the weapons but to use them he needs protection and he needs time to pass.
    This past season with a few more holes for our running game and a little more time for Brady to throw the ball we could easily have been 15 and 1. All we needed were a few more first downs to ice the Colts, Broncos, Jets, Dolphins and Texans.
    And I am talking about having the same defense. They might not have made the plays in the end of the games but that the way it goes with young players.
    We needed to replace the old play makers on Dee due to age. New ones will step up with a bit of experience.
    We need to get a couple of good offensive linemen in the first 2 rounds.
    Iupati or Pouncy at 22 and Veldheer when possible. A young big back for the tough yards (the Dillon type) and Moroney will be fine behind that kind of line.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

ATsitsos
    Wow! For not having seen a lot of games I believe you are spot on!
    Running backs need holes to run through and Brady needs better protection. Plus the young defense will improve and leaders will emerge.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

jared veldeer in the late 2nd round-3rd round could be our right tackle of the future and Sam Young (Notre Dame) could be had in the 4th-5th.  our line would be from left to right:

Starter                                      Back up
    Vollmer (Height 6'8" wt: 315),        Light (height 6'4" Wt: 305)
    mankins (height 6'4" wt: 310),       Neal (height 6'4" Wt: 305)
    Koppen (height 6' 2" wt: 296),       connolly (height 6'4" wt: 313)
    Young (height 6'8" wt:316),          kaczur (height 6'4" wt: 313)
    Veldeer (height 6'8" wt: 315),       Levoir (height 6'7" wt: 310)

Our line would be amazing, even maroney would be able to run for 2000 yards, there would be holes wide enough for a greyhound bus to go through. brady would have all day to throw as well. Imagine a hard running back such as dwyer, gerhart, Westbrook, or even spiller running behind that line.