Is the Patriots Draft that bad?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Is the Patriots Draft that bad?

I don't think the Pats draft is all that bad.  It would seem to me they typically get a few starters from every draft, which I would think is about average.
    Here is the Pats draft since 2004, these are the people that ended up contributors, omitted those who didn't do anything.  I underlined those I would consider big contributers.

2004, 8 picks,  3 for 8
    round               Name

1st                  Wilfork
    1st                  Watson
    all other picks did not contribute
    Trade
    2nd                Dillon

2005  7 picks,  4 for 7
    1st                 Mankins
    3rd                 Hobbs
    3rd                  Kaczur
    7th                 Cassel
    Picks 4,5,7 did not contribute
    traded 3rd and 5th for Starks and 5th

2006  10 picks,   2 for 10
    1st                   Maroney
    4th                  Gostkowski
    no other contributors
    traded deion branch for undisclosed 2007 pick

2007   9 picks,    3 for 9
    1st                   Meriweather
    Last 8 picks did not contribute

Trades
    4th                    Moss
    undisclosed         Welker

2008  7 picks        4 for 7
    1st                       Mayo
    2nd                      Wheatley
    4th                       Wilhite
    5th                       Slater
    no other contributors

2009  12 picks,   5 for 12 
    2nd                     Chung
    2nd                     Butler
    2nd                     Vollmer
    6th                      Pryor
    7th                     Edelman   

Brace and Tate are unknowns at this point, 7 have not contributed

53 picks 21 hits, I count trades for draft picks.  Hard to tell who will play long term from the last couple or drafts.  I think 12 currently start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Is the Patriots Draft that bad?

2006-2008 were mediocre drafts.  Having 3 drafts in a row that were somewhat poor has to hurt.  A good indicator of past draft performance is how many free agents are on your team.  Compare this team to our championship teams.  We have a lot of FA's on this team.  A few years back we were playing Indy and the commentators were mentioning how these two teams draft so well.  They used the fact that they need so few free agents as proof.  At the time, Indy only had one FA on their entire roster.  We only had a few.  

I guess any team can have a lull.  I think we did much better this year.  Fortunately we added Floyd Reese to our team.  He is a very good talent evaluator.  With the Titans he drafted 3 Rookie of the Years.  Think about that.  That's pretty darn good.  I credit him with this years hits more than anyone.  The puzzle to me is how we can miss so bad on FA's.  These guys have a ton of NFL film you can look at, as well as former teammates to talk to.  You can understand the misses in the draft, but how can you miss on so many NFL FA's?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I may be delusional but I'd still like to bring in some new coaches before I completely judge. I honestly think that some of these guys can be coached up. I can't believe that every draft just all of the sudden is bad. I'll reserve judgement for another year and see how these last couple of drafts work out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I guess I'd have to compare what that Pats did to what a few other good teams with similar positions in the draft did (teams like Indy, San Diego, and Pittsburgh) to really know if that Pats drafts were better or worse than average.  When you look at that list, though, you don't see a lot of guys who are true impact players. Ignoring the free agents picked up by trading picks, there are only four (at most) draftees that so far have truly proven to be more than average NFL players: Wilfork, Mankins and (maybe) Gostkowski and Mayo.  I think Vollmer will end up on the list too (he may even be a Wilfork-level guy). The rest of the guys--even if they contribute--are just average.  This is part of the problem. The Pats' talent at a lot of positions is just average.  And that has a lot to do with drafts that have produced few players that are above average. These average (or below average) players may be "contributing" but they're only contributing because we don't have anybody better to play. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

2006-8 all seem pretty bad.  Out of those drafts, the only picks worth mentioning were Moroney, Mayo, and Meriweather.  I think these three are contributing well, but they're not stars by any stretch.  That 2007 draft, where only one of nine picks made the roster (and he is only now becoming a reliable player) was horrendous!  However, the Pats are usually VERY good at evaluating veteran FA talent.  This year they whiffed on some of those, like Galloway, Springs, the pass rushers, etc.  It hasn't been a great year for personnel.  The best thing to brag about personnel-wise for the Pats is that Vollmers was an absolute steal.  Also, Edelman and Pryor were late-round successes that the team hasn't been accustomed to.  Butler probably has a positive future. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Is the Patriots Draft that bad?:
    [QUOTE]2006-8 all seem pretty bad.  Out of those drafts, the only picks worth mentioning were Moroney, Mayo, and Meriweather.  I think these three are contributing well, but they're not stars by any stretch.  That 2007 draft, where only one of nine picks made the roster (and he is only now becoming a reliable player) was horrendous!  However, the Pats are usually VERY good at evaluating veteran FA talent.  This year they whiffed on some of those, like Galloway, Springs, the pass rushers, etc.  It hasn't been a great year for personnel.  The best thing to brag about personnel-wise for the Pats is that Vollmers was an absolute steal.  Also, Edelman and Pryor were late-round successes that the team hasn't been accustomed to.  Butler probably has a positive future. 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]
    I think you're right, good players but only a few stars.  I don't like to look at drafts by just focusing on the picks.  The only way to truly evaluate  how well they evaluate draft talent would be by comparing who was available when they picked.  I don't have the time to look that up.
    All moves in the offseason are intertwined, Drafts, draft trades, trades, and free agent signings.  If a good free agent WR is picked up they probably wouldn't target WR high in the draft.

I would evaluate thier Drafts like this
    2004   good
    2005   OK
    2006   Very Bad  10 picks, only Gostkowski and Cassel, traded away branch for draft pick, traded away 2nd rd pick(GB used on Greg Jennings) for 2nd and 5th round picks in 2007

2007   very good (only one draft player, but traded picks for Welker and Moss)
    2008   bad
    2009   good

As far as I can tell in those years there were no first found busts
    The Pats did trade away a 2nd round pick that ended up being Greg Jennings for a 2nd and fifth the following year.