Is there an explanation for this madness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginiaBostonFan. Show VirginiaBostonFan's posts

Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?

I was always supportive of every pick last year. This year is another story. Really think BB needs to be stripped of his picking. I feel BB really doesnt know how to build the team he needs. Hes turning the Pats into the Browns when he coached them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

The "whining" here is justified.

Tom Brady and VW should be pizzed off.

Tom has 3 years left and they are being pizzed away by stockpiling drafts like some kind of miser ... cripes Atlanta is trying to win NOW with a 26 year old QB and Pats are focused on the future with a 35 year old QB ...

Poor old VW has been left to fend for himself AGAIN for 2011 - he's probably praying th elockout does not get resolved this year ... his career is going ot be shortened by 5 years having to cover every position on the D-Line due to lack of depth and talent.

R1 28 ... Why not Heyward? Wilkerson? 2012 New Orleans pick? Big deal.

2nd R - They coud have gotten Vereen in the 3rd R, no problem.  The pass rushgers were still there Sheard, Reed, Houston

The 3rd Round? Pizzed away. Cripes of the present Defense personnel is so good, why not an O Guard? Boling, Rackley, Moffit?????

R3 I can live with Mallet (well not really ...) But Ridley??? He was rated the 26 RB ....26th!!!!! Solder probably had a better 40 than him ... He would have been an UDFA.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Clearly 2010 was the anomaly ....

Another year of TBC and no-name DE's getting run over by the f'n Jests.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

They definitely drafted good players.... that they don't need as much as other real needs.

They could have upgraded the D substantially, instead they added good players at positions where they already have good/great players, neglected their needs when they could have addressed them with GREAT players, and HAVE NOT UPGRADED THEIR DEFENSE VERY MUCH AT ALL.

They had great OLB options at rounds 1,2,3.  I definitely think they need a RB, but they DEFINITELY need an OLB MUCH MUCH MORE.
    Who doesn't understand such a simple concept.

The redsox should sign or trade for the best FA 1st and 2nd baseman next year....  oh wait they already have a great 1st and 2nd baseman...  duh....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Ingram is way better than Ridley AND vereen.  So why not just draft Ingram?  He's a winner from a winning program.

Instead we stockpiled mediocre RBs.

AND No help on the defense.

The patriots #1 problem is they are soft.  Soft and not at all intimidating on defense. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Ingram is slower and has a bad knee that may never be the same and he is better? I just don't see it. Also did you hear how he answered all those questions the Pats asked him in his interview? And again I go back to his knees, did you see the x-rays and MRI's for Ingram? What did you think of them Schump? I know I thought they might look iffy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    [QUOTE]Ingram is way better than Ridley AND vereen.  So why not just draft Ingram?  He's a winner from a winning program. Instead we stockpiled mediocre RBs. AND No help on the defense. The patriots #1 problem is they are soft.  Soft and not at all intimidating on defense. 
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

A few points:
    1. Ingram was probably not worth a first AND a second round pick (and that is what the Pats got for him - and almost no RB is worth a 1st AND 2nd anymore). If he was he would likely have been taken in the top half dozen of the first round. Still, I will admit it will depend on how great he really is in the NFL
    2. In this league it is clear that it is rare that an RB can carry the whole load for 16 games. So every team has some division of labor running the ball.
    3. As for soft on D: really? reaLLY?? Wilfork. Ty Warren. Pryor. Brace. Spikes. Mayo. Chung. Merriweather (you dont have to like him but he is not what other teams call soft). Bodden. McCourty. (these are DBs that will make a tackle. Lots of the Cromarties and such look for the water boy when the ball is being hauled their way). No. not soft. You can say they had injuries. You can say they have flaws such as pass rush which is critical. But soft? Give me a break. How did the Steelers and Ravens fair against this so called soft team last year. THose are the two toughest teams they faced last year. The Pats played tough and won those tough games against those two teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You people just stop whining! What are you expecting, we win a SB or something? BB is a god. BB makes Lombardi look like a waterboy. BB is INFALLIBLE!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm not fool enough to question the current regime's strategy or it's effectiveness. Nothing at all in this draft really jumps out at me, but I'll concede that Belichick may (perhaps) know a little bit more about what he's looking at than I do.

One thing I will say: Ryan Mallet does absolutely nothing for me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

what defensive playmakers are available in free agency? and will there be free agency? this has nothing to do with draft pundits. every pick is a gamble. this is about not taking a chance on a single OLB or DE. maybe they werent as great as mel kiper thinks...but you know what? some of the defensive players drafted will be good. and they will all be on other teams. there were times last season when a UFL castoff was our best pass rusher. that is just absurd. 

[QUOTE]you spoiled brat fans, get over yourself, bb is so much smarter then you evern will be in football and that includes the so called draft pundits.  so shut up and enjoy the great season we are about to have oh, and lets wait to see what happehns in free agency for the pass rush you cry babbies. 
    Posted by hagen910[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

ty warren coming off major hip surgery and has plenty of milage, we have no idea what to expect from him. i like pryor but he is a sub rusher who is very injury prone. brace is a bust and would not have made this team if any Dlinemen were picked this year. he's perpetually fat and out of shape and is mothing but a turnstile at DE. spikes mayo chung heart of the D, merriweather is a player i like but he is unpredictable on and off the field. clearly dowling wasdrafted to replace bodden so what do they think of his ability to return from his injury. this does not make for a scary defense. sorry.

As for rysoft on D: really? reaLLY?? Wilfork. Ty Warren. Pryor. Brace. Spikes. Mayo. Chung. Merriweather (you dont have to like him but he is not what other teams call soft). Bodden. McCourty. (these are DBs that will make a tackle. Lots of the Cromarties and such look for the water boy when the ball is being hauled their way). No. not soft. You can say they had injuries. You can say they have flaws such as pass rush which is critical. But soft? Give me a break. How did the Steelers and Ravens fair against this so called soft team last year. THose are the two toughest teams they faced last year. The Pats played tough and won those tough games against those two teams.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

What a bunch of nerds! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not fool enough to question the current regime's strategy or it's effectiveness. Nothing at all in this draft really jumps out at me, but I'll concede that Belichick may (perhaps) know a little bit more about what he's looking at than I do. One thing I will say: Ryan Mallet does absolutely nothing for me.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

My guess is that BB thinks Mallet might be good trade bait down the road.  If he can dump him on some other team for a first or second round pick, he'll have done quite well with this third round pick.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

[QUOTE]Ever notice how many guys just don't fit BB's "system". Maybe he needs to change his "system" then. It's not like it has won any SBs in the last 6 years anyway.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

How many other teams havent won a SB in the last 6 years? How can you be a NE sports fan and make a comment lke this? Boston teams have gone decades without wining anything and when they finally do win a couple everybody feels entitled to win every year. I'll agree that BB makes draft day moves that make you scratch your head and everybody piles on until the dust settles. During the draft everybody trashes all the trading of picks but when its said and done almost everybody marvels at how BB walked away with the most value for his draft. I dont allways agree either but we clearly dont have all the info on players that he does. Another line of thought is maybe BB doesnt want to add any more youth to an already young Defense right now. Maybe a veteran DE/OLB will be added to give the young guys more leadership.
    With that mindset, I expect that the Pats are going to be players in the FA market this year. There are several DL/OLB's I could see them going after. Jenkins(GB), Kiwanuka(NYG), C.Johnson(CAR), Woodley(Pitt), or Hali(KC) are just a few names off the top of my head that would more than fill the pass rush roles needed by the Pats. For WR I'd like to see Sidney Rice(MIN) or even James Jones(GB) put on the Pats jersey. WR isnt a huge area of need for them yet, but its not far away. Go Pats!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

1. BGE is not coming back, and Is a 2 dimensional back  we cant have woodhead taking the load off of BGE like he was last year.  Vereen is the new faulk and RIdley is a monster, just wait you have no idea this guy is like a michael turner type dude looks like a fullback with breakaway speed and cut ability.  I like BGE but hes only 2dimensional.

2. There is SO many RECIEVERS coming out on FREE AGENCY we can go after heres just a list:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/wr.html

3.  Same goes for DE, its easier to splash in FA once or twice while develop your young talent with late round picks... havent you learned from BB over the years?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PScottman. Show PScottman's posts

[QUOTE]l 3.  Same goes for DE, its easier to splash in FA once or twice while develop your young talent with late round picks... havent you learned from BB over the years?
    Posted by clarkeyj1[/QUOTE]

High Priced Free Agency? You mean like Adalius Thomas???????

Yeah, they'll jump right into that pool again. They'll sign more low risk guys like Stroud hoping for lightning in a bottle and get lit up by a chump like Sanchez.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

I liked Cam Jordan as much as anyone but you really think this guy would have immediatley turned around or pass rush, I dont.  Honestly I was ok with every pick through the first 2 rounds until we grabbed 2 RBs back to back, that didnt make sense to me.  Solder is a good pick, Dowling is a good pick, Vereen is ok (Even though Leshour and Thomas were right there), but I wouldve liked to see Brooks Reed drafted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]This is all the the whining about McCourty all over again. How did that turn out? Didn't he pick off 7 passes and go to the Pro Bowl in his rookie year? My point being, judging a draft before a single one of its players have stepped onto the field is asanine and immature. - I think Soldier will be a staple at Tackle for the next decade, the second most important position on the offense. - Vareen should have an immediate impact on the running game. We now have a very young, very fresh 4-headed monster in the backfield, in case you babies who were crying about having no running game didn't notice. - Dowling has a great skillset and would have gone much higher if not for injuries. With him, McCourty, and Bodden it will be tough to throw it against this secondary. People riped the McCourty pick, imagine if we hadn't had him when Bodden went down... - I'll admit I am skeptical on Mallet but we shall see. Being around a true pro like Brady should help his attitude, if not he will be shown the door. Maybe they drafted because they are receiving inquires about Hoyer...who knows?
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

I hate when people point out McCourty because he is the exception not the rule. Look at the last 5 drafts from 06-10. With the exception of 10 we've had really bad drafts year after year. 06 Ghost was the only one to survive, 07 it was Meri, 08 was Mayo, and 09 only Vollmer and Chung aren't JAGs in a draft we made 12 picks. Face it last year was the abnormality and having a ton of picks has not helped us one bit compared to even the Jets who have had much less picks but just as many non-Jag players as we have had over the last 5 years

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

After a night to sleep on it, I like this draft. 
    Soldier:  Solid bookend to compliment Vollemer.  Take the money from Light to pay mankins. 
    CB: Added depth in a pass happy world.  Merriwether will be gone.  Move Butler to free safety?  Or arlington to free safety.  Did it with Gay and won a superbowl.
    Running Back:  BJGE is a free agent.  After a 1000 yard season, what is his market value?   Faulk is done.  So only woodhead is on the roster.
    QB:  What happens if Brady goes down?  How much was his foot hurting during the playoffs? 
    DL: There are 7 players already on the roster for DL.  Is is safe in a strike shortened season to bring on someone in this complex a system?
    Linebacker:  3 young players already in the system. Not a good time to add more.
    Added 2 picks to next year.  Maybe that is the time to bring on a couple of young studs on the line.

I think this draft is solid in filling some needs of a 14 - 2 team.

Please remember that only about 40% of first picks make 2 years.  The Patriots are better than average at this for a reason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : I hate when people point out McCourty because he is the exception not the rule. Look at the last 5 drafts from 06-10. With the exception of 10 we've had really bad drafts year after year. 06 Ghost was the only one to survive, 07 it was Meri, 08 was Mayo, and 09 only Vollmer and Chung aren't JAGs in a draft we made 12 picks. Face it last year was the abnormality and having a ton of picks has not helped us one bit compared to even the Jets who have had much less picks but just as many non-Jag players as we have had over the last 5 years
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Eng, the only way to answer this definitively is to do a careful statistical analysis.  A few things you need to take into consideration besides number of drafted players still on the team:
    • Draft position  (If the Jets have consistently had higher picks than the Pats because of their finishing position during the season, they should be doing better than that Pats in the draft, not the same) 
    • Players gained by trading picks (like Randy Moss)
    • Players drafted but later traded away for other players
    • Quality of players drafted (and I'm not sure it's legitimate to dismiss kickers and "JAGs"--those guys are necessary too)
    It would be interesting to do the analysis, but who has time (and skills)?

I have a hunch that given how good the Pats have been each year (and therefore how low their own picks have been), BB's trading has helped the Pats have better drafts than they would otherwise have had if they just stuck with their own picks or traded up and ended with far fewer picks. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : High Priced Free Agency? You mean like Adalius Thomas??????? Yeah, they'll jump right into that pool again. They'll sign more low risk guys like Stroud hoping for lightning in a bottle and get lit up by a chump like Sanchez.
    Posted by PScottman[/QUOTE]

Um No.. Look for someone like Anthony Hargrove, Saints DE, considering they just picked up Cam Jordan, in 2009 he had 5 sacks with 32 tackles, Not GREAT but not bad... Hes only 27 and he has experience.

Also Turk McBride, DET DE most likely LOOKing to get out of DET another one with 5 sacks... WITH DET boostering their DLINE this week at the draft alot of competition for a spot and hes only 25 or 26.  He wont be looking for Much MONEY.

Know your facts about other teams and players before you  make a comment, because you sound like an idiot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

[QUOTE]I was always supportive of every pick last year. This year is another story. Really think BB needs to be stripped of his picking. I feel BB really doesnt know how to build the team he needs. Hes turning the Pats into the Browns when he coached them.
    Posted by VirginiaBostonFan[/QUOTE]

14-2 sounds like a browns team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : Eng, the only way to answer this definitively is to do a careful statistical analysis.  A few things you need to take into consideration besides number of drafted players still on the team: Draft position  (If the Jets have consistently had higher picks than the Pats because of their finishing position during the season, they should be doing better than that Pats in the draft, not the same)  Players gained by trading picks (like Randy Moss) Players drafted but later traded away for other players Quality of players drafted (and I'm not sure it's legitimate to dismiss kickers and "JAGs"--those guys are necessary too) It would be interesting to do the analysis, but who has time (and skills)? I have a hunch that given how good the Pats have been each year (and therefore how low their own picks have been), BB's trading has helped the Pats have better drafts than they would otherwise have had if they just stuck with their own picks or traded up and ended with far fewer picks. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

It seems logical except when you actually look at it the Jets and Pats have traded for about equal quality players over that period. Then looking at the actually position of the picks the Jets did have a couple higher picks but the Pats by far had the volume and ammo to move up to have the same value in picks that the Jets have had. The main difference is that the Jets have made efforts to move up and target impact players (which hasn't always worked out) but the Pats moving back acquiring more picks has also resulted in a number of bust picks. The big difference is that the Jets have had more impact pro-bowl players during those years then the Pats. Whe said and done I believe the only reason the Pats are better then the Jets right now is because of coachingand Brady. Without BB and Brady do you honestly see this team as anything better then a Was or Stl?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickmades. Show rickmades's posts

I actually like the picks.  At WR the Pats are set with Welker, Branch, Edelman (needs more reps), Price and Tate.  There was no problem scoring last year (the Pats were 14-2 with some problems on defense, so the offense had to be good). As for the defensive line, remember that Ty Warren is coming back, just like Bodden is back. That will solidify the line.  Belichick must like Cunningham more than the linebackers he could have had and felt more of a need at cornerback. This means that Willhite and Butler could be gone.  As for Mallett, there is room on the roster for a 3rd QB. If he works out, they can trade him in a couple of years for a 1st pick. If he doesn't, no great loss.  There are only so many spots on the roster of a 14-2 team. Running back was a big need, 3rd quarterback was available, we needed a young left tackle and another young, hopefully talented cornerback.  I like the picks.

In Response to Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    [QUOTE]I would like for ANYONE to defend Belichick right now. Please do. It is simply idiotic what the Pats are doing. Haven't we learned anything from past years?  This draft is a complete joke, one of the worst any team has had. How can one explain this? We all knew what the need was. A DE, OLB, WR.  Everyone knew we desperately needed a DE and a OLB. Yet BB doesnt know that?! You have got to be kidding me if you think it's alright to go into a season with such a weak D line. 1st round, 17th pick. can understand going with an OT. Could've taken Cameron Jordan. 28th pick- why trade it away if you can get Hayward, and he went to Steelers. Steelers know a thing or two about great LB's. Why pick a CB with 33th pick? We have McCourty and Bodden. Pretty Solid. What are they thinking drafting a RB? I thought we were fine with Ellis and Woohead. If they really want  a RB, why not take the best one in the draft, Ingram?! The 3rd round was simply a disgrace. So now we need a 2nd running back. He will be the 4th best running back on this team. That can be had in 6th round. Also wasted a pick on Mallett. So now a QB was our need? 3rd round pick who wont play in the next 4 years. I dare any of you to defend this nonsnece. Anyone remember wasting a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell. Unbelievable. Belichick has simply lost his mind. Either he is not thinking straight or he has lost it when it comes to defense.  Apparently BB thinks its not neccesary  to have a defense like Packers, Steelers.Washington just selelcted Hankerson. How can anyone argue that this wouldn't be a better pick than Mallett or the 2nd rb we took?   Hope the Pats have fun with the marshmallow defense next year and midget WR's.
    Posted by Spetznaz24[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

I think BB had his specific draft set in stone way before the clocks started with Cam Newton. Good or Bad. I think we ALL knew that the #28 pick was NEVER gonna be used, which, I can understand. Is there a person on here who believed that he'd use both 1st rounders? Wishful thinking. It sucks because if you compare NE to Detroit, NE had far better pick-position within the first three rounds. Detroit absolutely killed it this year. They filled or bolstered holes at DL, LB, RB, WR. And this morning, we should have been dancing in the streets with the same. Last year, I was so wowed with his draft. This year, I am shaking my head a bit. 

What I like:

1. Solder is a great draft. The dude is an uber-athlete. Smart. Coachable. Determined. A competitor. Reliable and injury-free so far. This guy has a big future here. Love the pick.

2. I even like Dowling as a gamble pick because of his size & strength. Reliable? I dunno. Again, it's a gamble pick. He's first-round quality if healthy. He is not an every down DB until proven otherwise.

3. Ryan Mallett. I now live in SEC country. And this dude can play. His numbers within the TOUGHEST college football conference say it all. 68 tds, over 8,000 yards compiled by his junior year. Possible party boy? Yes. But he's no head case. He's just slightly different than what you'd expect from BB based on "character". He is almost NFL ready and I was shocked he fell so far. BB drafts a QB in EVERY draft. He seeks a risk-reward QB pick every year. Go back and look. This guy is a gamer and has played and faced the best defenses in college football on a mid-level SEC team. Feel good about this pick as back up or trade bait. He has three years to learn the Patriots system under Brady & BB. Win.

I do not get passing on Leshoure or Randall Cobb, if offensive weapons was what BB was seeking, however. I'm at a BIG loss there. I'm at a loss with trading picks away too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PScottman. Show PScottman's posts

[QUOTE] Know your facts about other teams and players before you  make a comment, because you sound like an idiot.
    Posted by clarkeyj1[/QUOTE] So the Patriots have actually signed these guys or is the person making Ms Cleo like fortune teller claims with no ability to read the future claiming "facts" and assigning idiocy????

I'm laughing at the superior intellect.