Is This The Same Darius Butler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Is This The Same Darius Butler?

In Response to Re: Is This The Same Darius Butler?:
    [QUOTE]I knew this D would struggle, and noone expects Butler to be Revis, but you should be able to make a few plays as well as you give them up, thats why people are killing him.  Most CB's will atleast make a play here and there. 
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE] 

People focus on Dbacks because they're out there all alone and make easy targets, what they do is maybe the most difficult job in the NFL.  Butler is steps away from every tackle or from swatting the ball down, by midseason he should be making those plays and catch back up to the promise he showed as a rookie.  McCourty and Butler will be our starting corner tandem for years...  give it time... and by time I mean by the end of this season.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Same Darius Butler? :   People focus on Dbacks because they're out there all alone and make easy targets, what they do is maybe the most difficult job in the NFL.  Butler is steps away from every tackle or from swatting the ball down, by midseason he should be making those plays and catch back up to the promise he showed as a rookie.  McCourty and Butler will be our starting corner tandem for years...  give it time... and by time I mean by the end of this season.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

"McCourty & Butler will be our starting corner tandem for years... Give it time"? 

Ummm..  Did you forget about Bodden?  If Arrington continues to play steady, Butler will be lucky to be playing dime this time next year.

I don't understand who so many people on this forum are holding out false hope for Butler.  To me it's as clear as day!  He's not that good!  It's the same false hope people had for Maroney!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Same Darius Butler? : "McCourty & Butler will be our starting corner tandem for years... Give it time"?  Ummm..  Did you forget about Bodden?  If Arrington continues to play steady, Butler will be lucky to be playing dime this time next year. I don't understand who so many people on this forum are holding out false hope for Butler.  To me it's as clear as day!  He's not that good!  It's the same false hope people had for Maroney!
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]

You're one of those "glass half empty" guys aren't you...

Bodden signed a 4 year deal, not exactly a long contract considering the final year is negotiable.  I can't get into prolonged arguments about somebody who your already writing off before he's legally allowed to rent a car.  Butler is a very talented player, time will prove this providing he doesn't get derailed due to injury or personal issues. 

I can't speak to Butler's mental state or Maroney's either for that matter, players lose heart or desire to play sometimes before their physical skills decline, they make an awful lot of money and if they're wise one contract is enough to keep them happy for a long time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Same Darius Butler? : You're one of those "glass half empty" guys aren't you... Bodden signed a 4 year deal, not exactly a long contract considering the final year is negotiable.  I can't get into prolonged arguments about somebody who your already writing off before he's legally allowed to rent a car.  Butler is a very talented player, time will prove this providing he doesn't get derailed due to injury or personal issues.  I can't speak to Butler's mental state or Maroney's either for that matter, players lose heart or desire to play sometimes before their physical skills decline, they make an awful lot of money and if they're wise one contract is enough to keep them happy for a long time.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you met me you would realize I am a very positive person that tries to see the bright side in just about anything.  But, I'm also a realist and I'm calling it like I see it. 

I hope Butler turns out to be a pro bowl CB.  My personal opinion is that will never happen.  He may have tons of athletic ability - which is what makes Butler such an intriguing argument here, but I see a lost soul out there.  I felt this way last year and hoped he would progress into his 2nd year (like Chung) but it aint happening. 

We shall see!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Killa:

C'mon man!  Nobody is blaming Butler - at least I'm not.  I'm simply stating that he isn't very good and people should lower expectations on him.  Stop holding false hope for him because I'm telling you - he's never going to be more than a nickle/dime back and special teams player. 

He's a second year player that has not progressed AT ALL!  Chung & Brace have clearly gotten better - which is typical from year one to year two.  Butler is dazed & confused out there and he brings no physical presence what so ever!  

I was bummed when we drafted him and I'm bummed now.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]Sometimes if it looks like S**T and smells like S**T it is S**T and it still will be S**T in it's 3rd and 4th year. Real Players get in by year 2 and are producing........I'd like to know the person who coined this supposed 3 year thing that a lot of fans use as an excuse.  Could someone provide me a name or a link that backs this BullS**T with some kinda facts. Yeah killa and Ryan Leaf was also considered 1st round talent by the "experts".  So you argument is STUPID.  The "experts" don't know how another human will perform.  They are simply taking a educated GUESS which by no means guarantees future results.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I have read tons of your posts and this one strikes me as the absolute worst and most uninformed. Could be missing a few tho.

Do you do any of your own research? Go and take a list of 100 draft picks from 5 years ago, pull up there stats, then tell me what you find. This one is just so easy to prove by yourself.

I'll save you the time, you will see a few guys did great on year one, a bunch are not in the NFL at this time, and a large group are 1st, 2nd, 3rd year starters or role players wit a constant theme that the majority has had there production go up, not down.

Now given this trend, who knows what will happen to Butler, I don't, but there is a good case to claim he will get better with time. Take your personal feelings of disatifaction as a fan out of the equation for just a min please. It's my biggest gripe about these boards, I expect it but must we always be irrational FANS, can't we ever keep things in perspective.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]Ummm, Randall Gay started for us in the SuperBowl.  Asante Samuel was a pro bowler in year 4, but he has been good since coming here.  the difference is his 1st 2 years he was a nickel CB and a good one, and not until 05 he became a starter outside, had his struggles but was making plays by the playoof game against Denver, and in 06' after catching from the jugs, he ad 10 pics and made his name.   I watch too much for you to write this stuff Killa, and I know you better than that.  You are saying that we shouldnt expect anything from a 2nd year 2nd rd pick and that Gay wasnt counted on???   So if thats the case, why did we waste a 2nd rd pick, if we didnt expect anything....B.B. benching him said all you need to hear, he wants to ligh a spark cuz he NEEDS HIM THIS YEAR!...and you are right, HE is an easy target.   I kept this going, cuz I do believe he can get better, but he has to show me, until then, it is what it is....Stop contorting the truth of which most of us have witnessed.  They hjave plugged everyone in this secondary from A.Hawkins to T.Brown, and all of them have looked better than him.  Even Troy Brown was expected and did make plays.   IF you wanna say Asante siutation was different, fine, but please stop playing Asante wasnt a player until year 4, he is the only player to have a return INT in each of his first 5 years, and has one in 3 playoff games...He had 4 INTS rookie year and took one to the house to end the game....He played very well in the slot before becoming a starter in 05 when he struggled, so as a starter he had one bad year...

Butler had two bad games, his first two as a starting CB in the NFL

He looked bad against Chad Ochocinco and Braylon Edwards,

Give me a couple more physical, taller, faster rec in the NFL? May be some but think my point is made.

His confidence might be down and he was pulled in order to regroup and get it back, thats not to unexpected.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I will also point out that he didn't play as bad as we are saying he did. Many of the plays were designed to give a cushion and allow the short catch then wrap up. Butler made all these tackles effectivly. He did give up some bad ones as well, both TD's and the pass interference mainly.

So in the end the bad plays he made are inexcusable but there is really a limited amount of plays people are jumping on to make such a crazy pronouncement as HE S**KS.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Some guys are great college players who become less than good pro players in the NFL.  All these types need is a move...to the CFL to be great, again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Some guys are great college players who become less than good pro players in the NFL.  All these types need is a move...to the CFL to be great, again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]Ummm, Randall Gay started for us in the SuperBowl.  Asante Samuel was a pro bowler in year 4, but he has been good since coming here.  the difference is his 1st 2 years he was a nickel CB and a good one, and not until 05 he became a starter outside, had his struggles but was making plays by the playoof game against Denver, and in 06' after catching from the jugs, he ad 10 pics and made his name.   I watch too much for you to write this stuff Killa, and I know you better than that.  You are saying that we shouldnt expect anything from a 2nd year 2nd rd pick and that Gay wasnt counted on???   So if thats the case, why did we waste a 2nd rd pick, if we didnt expect anything....B.B. benching him said all you need to hear, he wants to ligh a spark cuz he NEEDS HIM THIS YEAR!...and you are right, HE is an easy target.   I kept this going, cuz I do believe he can get better, but he has to show me, until then, it is what it is....Stop contorting the truth of which most of us have witnessed.  They hjave plugged everyone in this secondary from A.Hawkins to T.Brown, and all of them have looked better than him.  Even Troy Brown was expected and did make plays.   IF you wanna say Asante situation was different, fine, but please stop saying Asante wasnt a player until year 4, he is the only player to have a return INT in each of his first 5 years, and has one in 3 playoff games...He had 4 INTS rookie year and took one to the house to end the game....He played very well in the slot before becoming a starter in 05 when he struggled, so as a starter he had one bad year...

Darius Butler | #28 | CB

New England Patriots | Official Team Site

Height: 5-10   Weight: 190   Age: 24

Born: 3/18/1986 Fort Lauderdale , FL

College: Connecticut

Experience: 2nd season

High School: Coral Springs Charter School [FL]

team rostersquick stats (2010)
      Select a Team  Arizona Cardinals  Atlanta Falcons  Baltimore Ravens  Buffalo Bills  Carolina Panthers  Chicago Bears  Cincinnati Bengals  Cleveland Browns  Dallas Cowboys  Denver Broncos  Detroit Lions  Green Bay Packers  Houston Texans  Indianapolis Colts  Jacksonville Jaguars  Kansas City Chiefs  Miami Dolphins  Minnesota Vikings  New England Patriots  New Orleans Saints  New York Giants  New York Jets  Oakland Raiders  Philadelphia Eagles  Pittsburgh Steelers  San Diego Chargers  San Francisco 49ers  Seattle Seahawks  St. Louis Rams  Tampa Bay Buccaneers  Tennessee Titans  Washington Redskins 
    TCKL
    SCK
    FF
    INT
    --

Defensive
     Tackles Interceptions
    YearTeamGCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntTDsYdsAvgLng
    2010New England Patriots3141400.0--1------0.0--
    2009New England Patriots14353320.008319130.391T
    TOTAL1749472--09--191--91

butler had just as good as a rookie  season a samuel, obviously he has the talent, just making mental errors right now, you guys are giving up on him way too quick, he will be fine, let him and the coaching staff work out his mistakes and he will be a playmaker and a good corner.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

Asante Samuel | #22 | CB

Philadelphia Eagles | Official Team Site

Height: 5-10   Weight: 185   Age: 29

Born: 1/6/1981 Fort Lauderdale , FL

College: Central Florida

Experience: 7th season

High School: Boyd H Anderson HS [Lauderdale Lakes, FL]

team rostersquick stats (2010)
      Select a Team  Arizona Cardinals  Atlanta Falcons  Baltimore Ravens  Buffalo Bills  Carolina Panthers  Chicago Bears  Cincinnati Bengals  Cleveland Browns  Dallas Cowboys  Denver Broncos  Detroit Lions  Green Bay Packers  Houston Texans  Indianapolis Colts  Jacksonville Jaguars  Kansas City Chiefs  Miami Dolphins  Minnesota Vikings  New England Patriots  New Orleans Saints  New York Giants  New York Jets  Oakland Raiders  Philadelphia Eagles  Pittsburgh Steelers  San Diego Chargers  San Francisco 49ers  Seattle Seahawks  St. Louis Rams  Tampa Bay Buccaneers  Tennessee Titans  Washington Redskins 
    TCKL
    --
    SCK
    --
    FF
    --
    INT
    --

Defensive
     Tackles Interceptions
    YearTeamGCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntTDsYdsAvgLng
    2010Philadelphia Eagles4131120.0--31055.05
    2009Philadelphia Eagles16403910.0--169011713.037
    2008Philadelphia Eagles15353140.0022416416.050T
    2007New England Patriots16444130.0018618914.842
    2006New England Patriots15645950.0--1410012012.033
    2005New England Patriots155444100.0--1330155.015
    2004New England Patriots13363420.0011113434.034T
    2003New England Patriots16343040.005215527.555T
    T
    TOTAL
    11032028931--0102--4499--55

actually butler had more passes defensed than samuel and ints his rookie season

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Same Darius Butler? : Butler had two bad games, his first two as a starting CB in the NFL He looked bad against Chad Ochocinco and Braylon Edwards, Give me a couple more physical, taller, faster rec in the NFL? May be some but think my point is made. His confidence might be down and he was pulled in order to regroup and get it back, thats not to unexpected.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

He had 4 INTS rookie year and took one to the house to end the game...

looks like samuel only had 2 int his rookie season

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]I will also point out that he didn't play as bad as we are saying he did. Many of the plays were designed to give a cushion and allow the short catch then wrap up. Butler made all these tackles effectivly. He did give up some bad ones as well, both TD's and the pass interference mainly. So in the end the bad plays he made are inexcusable but there is really a limited amount of plays people are jumping on to make such a crazy pronouncement as HE S**KS.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

Great points

People are so quick to write a player off...

.. dogs when they lose, lucky when they win.