Is Wes Welker being Foolish?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Is Wes Welker being Foolish?

Welker is all heart and as tough as they come.   But is he being foolish putting his career on the line this season when he obviously is not 100% recovered from his terrible injury?

BB and BK will be the first to tell you that the NFL is a business, and they are the ones who believe that players are commodities (and treat them so) and that they can plug personnel in and out as if they were spark plugs.

One lousy cut, one lousy hit on his knees and Welker's career will be over.

As an independent businessman, would Wes be better served if he proceeded more conservatively in his comeback?

How many more millions of dollars will Welker make by playing even 2 or 3 more seasons?  Why risk his financial future for this team and this franchise? 

BB and BK are not committed to winning this season, of that I am convinced, and the devastating injuries the Pats have endured (so far) this season will effectively keep them from competing for the Super Bowl even if lady luck happenes to throw everything their way.

Wes, you're all heart, you're the toughest, but you have your future to consider, and I'd like to see you play for many years to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Is Wes Welker being Foolish?

Have things become that monotonous over on the Celtic's board?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Is Wes Welker being Foolish?:
    [QUOTE]Have things become that monotonous over on the Celtic's board?
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

-

Jeeez, how clever! 

Another witty one-liner from the ever servile Pat's fan base.

The usual MO, attack the poster, but never address the content of the post.

Intellectually challenged, are we?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

No, drunk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]No, drunk.

-

I love an honest drunk.

Kind of reminds me of Scarface, that scene in the restaurant, where Al Pacino says, "You people. .  . you need me, you need people like me, yeah, you need people like me to point the finger at, and say, 'see, there's a bad guy', but you need people like me, because I . .  I always tell the truth . .  even when I lie."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Whether or not he is being foolish isn't it his choice to make? Yes, the NFL is a business and its players are commodities, and as an independent business man perhaps this is what he feels is in his best interests.

Given the current labor situation, with a possible lock out looming, who is to say that he has two or three more seasons at his current rate of pay? Who is to say that he will be payed at all next year or the year after, or what kind of contract he will be working under? Maybe his decision is to earn as much as he can right now as a hedge against future uncertainties.

Every business venture contains some risk, and as the stakes increase so do the hazards. Mr. Welker seems to be a reasonably intelligent individual and I believe he has taken these things, as well as others, into consideration. I am sure he would appreciate your concern for his well being. But isn't this, after all a personal decision? Isn't that what is at the heart of our free enterprise system?

But what do I know? I'm just a servile Pat's fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]Whether or not he is being foolish isn't it his choice to make? Yes, the NFL is business and players are commodities, and as an independent business man perhaps this is what he feels is in his best interests. Given the current labor situation, with a possible lock out looming, who is to say that he has two or three more seasons at his current rate of pay? Who is to say that he will be payed at all next year or the year after, or what kind of contract he will be working under? Maybe his decision is to earn as much as he can right now as a hedge against future uncertainties. Every business venture contains some risk, and as the stakes increase so do the hazards. Mr. Welker seems to be a reasonably intelligent individual and I believe he has taken these things, as well as others, into consideration. I am sure he would appreciate your concern for his well being. But isn't this, after all a personal decision? Isn't that what is at the heart of our free enterprise system? But what do I know? I'm just a servile Pat's fan and drunk to boot.

-

Of course it's his choice to make (just as it was your choice to first make a witty one-liner instead of addressing the content of my post as you have now done - but I digress) and that is at the crux of my question.  Is he making the right choice, for the right reasons, at this time?  Obviously, Wes thinks so, and yes, he is intelligent in many ways (his reciever IQ is off the charts).  But as you made your decision, and then reconsidered it, Wes may live to regret his decision if he suffers a career ending injury.

He will get paid his salary, won't he, no matter how much he plays? 

And Wes appears to me to be a very emotional and macho guy, which are traits that make him a great football player.  But he also has a fiscal duty to himself and his family to look out for his better financial interests, and he only has to look to how the Krafts have discarded players left and right, like so much debris, to know that his sacrifice will never be appreciated let alone compensated fairly.

It's not my concern for his well being that has any relevance here, it is, as you point out, the risk/reward factor, given his employers history, that would concern me If I were him.  That and the potential $20+ million he stands to earn in the next few years by extending his career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Will he get his full salary if he doesn't play? Is his contract incentive laden? He has two years left on his present contract and he might feel that if he doesn't play this season that he won't get a good deal no matter who the next one is with.

Is it what you would do? What I would do? I don't know. It's Welker's decision and obviously the one he feels is right.

Hey, we could argue this till the roosters wake up and still not resolve the equation, so it's going to be my decision right now to get some sleep. I'm runnin' outa' gas.

Good discussion. Good night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

How do you know we can't compete in the season? We have a young defense, they won't show their full capability until midway through the season. Hopefully they can fix the problems and get it together. 

There's talent on this roster, we just have to wait for it to develop.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

[QUOTE]How do you know we can't compete in the season? We have a young defense, they won't show their full capability until midway through the season. Hopefully they can fix the problems and get it together.  There's talent on this roster, we just have to wait for it to develop.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree. Where do people get it in their heads that we are not going to compete this year. I am truly amazed at all of the doom and gloomers after two games. I seam to recall a year when we had no healthy corner backs half way through the year and we had Troy Brown filling in as one and we one the SB that year. Injuries are part of the game and all the teams will have them. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I think we'll compete fairly well. The Patriots, not quite an elite team anymore, is prolly still towards the top of second-tier teams. They'll need to be at their best for all 3 phases of the game to beat the "best" teams.

As for Wes Welker, undersized WRs tend to have short careers anyway (like Chrebet). It's not in his competitive nature to sit back and relax.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

All these amateur trainers offering medical opinions

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgirl6. Show patsgirl6's posts

100% or not any one at any time can get hit or move the wrong way and have a career ending injury, its a chance they all take.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Is Wes Welker being Foolish?:
    [QUOTE]Welker is all heart and as tough as they come.   But is he being foolish putting his career on the line this season when he obviously is not 100% recovered from his terrible injury? BB and BK will be the first to tell you that the NFL is a business, and they are the ones who believe that players are commodities (and treat them so) and that they can plug personnel in and out as if they were spark plugs. One lousy cut, one lousy hit on his knees and Welker's career will be over. As an independent businessman, would Wes be better served if he proceeded more conservatively in his comeback? How many more millions of dollars will Welker make by playing even 2 or 3 more seasons?  Why risk his financial future for this team and this franchise?  BB and BK are not committed to winning this season, of that I am convinced, and the devastating injuries the Pats have endured (so far) this season will effectively keep them from competing for the Super Bowl even if lady luck happenes to throw everything their way. Wes, you're all heart, you're the toughest, but you have your future to consider, and I'd like to see you play for many years to come.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Why are you convinced that the Pats are not committed to winning this year? What did BB/BK do to convince you? I see just the opposite. The Pats are committed every year, sometimes there are injuries which you can't account for, and that is just the nature of the NFL. Please provide some evidence to the fact that the Patriots are not committed....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

"obviously is not 100% recovered"?  And you know this how exactly?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Wes Welker being Foolish? : - Jeeez, how clever!  Another witty one-liner from the ever servile Pat's fan base. The usual MO, attack the poster, but never address the content of the post. Intellectually challenged, are we?
    I get the same treatment from the Patriots.com message board.  When I say anything TRUTHFULL about the pats i.e. "negative", I get slammed for not being a "true" fan.  Everyone else is drinking the coolaid.  Most people will ALWAYS give BB a pass no matter HOW bad he drafts or sign FA(or the lack thereof).   I'm with you on the Welker thing.  With Edelman being a faster "Welker" he affords us to put Welker on the PUP for 6 weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Its Welker's career. I am sure he's making the decision, not the coaches.  What will be will be and your post will be meaningless to everyone but you, if your prognostication comes true.  I suspect it won't.  I believe that Welker is fine and will remain so, insofar as it is possible for any player in the NFL... I suspect that at this point in the season, most players are already nursing some injury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

I'm sorry, i wasnt aware that welker was RISKING his career. I'm glad somebody on this board actually talks to the players.

RR- What did welker say? is his knee bothering him at all?

Im giving you the nickname insider, since you have the inside scoop!

/sarcasm
    Welker is fine, Hes not risking his carreer, one bad cut one turn him into a cripple

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

Of course football is a business. Everyone understands that, and every player is his own business.

But

Welker seems to be the kind of player who plays for the love of the game above the love of the paycheck (unlike Revis, Mankins, etc - there are many et ceteras).

I have no knowledge of the man above anyone elses, I just think of him as loving this opportunity so much, that it doesn't matter to him if he did it for millions of dollars or dozens. So giving his all - at all times - is just his nature.

Am I blowing blue smoke?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seoseoseo. Show seoseoseo's posts

If Welker's knee was fully recovered he wouldn't be wearing a brace. 
    It would be interesting to see an analysis of players who took a year or two away from football. In theory their physical ability wouldn't degrade, and they'd have the advantage of maturity. 
    Roger Staubach might be the prime example of that.
    On the other hand, maybe maturity isn't a great asset for a small receiver, because with maturity might come the realization that the odds aren't very good out there among the linebackers and safeties. Maybe he'd be better off to get out of the game with a few million dollars in the bank and functional knees and a brain that hasn't been scrambled.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Wearing a brace after the injury he had is standard procedure.  Brady still wears one.  Has nothing to due with whether or not he should be playing or not.  If there was any doubt the Pats medical staff would never let him on the field and I seriously doubt Welker himself would play if his long term future was being jeopordized.  Next topic please.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Convinced the Pats are not commited to winning?

How?

Why?

And where can I get me one of those "Word of the Day" calendars?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

He is at about 90% healed right now the other 10 percent is just mental. He would not be able to run against corners and LBs if his knee were in any type of way good. I have and am dealing with my own knee issue right now and I got my surgery early January and I am beginning to do very light things like working out or playing a pick up game of basketball.

Wes Welker is an NFL player who spends day in and day out worrying about football. Hes fine

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Wes Welker being Foolish? : - Jeeez, how clever!  Another witty one-liner from the ever servile Pat's fan base. The usual MO, attack the poster, but never address the content of the post. Intellectually challenged, are we?
    Are you not taking a chance every time you get out of bed, or take a shower, or drive your car, or mow your lawn?
    Life is for living, he gets paid a large sum of money, I dare say more than you make in 10 years, put down your paranoia and relax, in 100 years we will all be dead so does it really matter if Welker decides if he is ready to go or you think he is not?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Doubtful that Wes and his surgeons sat down and discussed the probability that he would suffer a career ending injury this season.  He rehabed his knee, progressed over 8-9 months and had the best physical therapists in sports.  Truth is, every NFL player is only 1 hit away from suffering a career ending injury or worse.