Isaac Sopoaga is now a Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Isaac Sopoaga is now a Patriots

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I wrong that only a few years ago this guy was an important piece to a pretty formidable SF defense?  All he needs to do here is to be an effective run stuffer - no one is expecting him to live up to the contract that the Eagles signed him to.     

[/QUOTE]

No you aren't. The 49ers were very formidable on the defensive line. 

Is he Wilfork? No. But given how Wilfork never really played up to his potential (for whatever reason, injuires, etc) this season, he could be closer to what NE got out fo Wilfork before the injury.

That is to say, much better than anything they've gotten since he left. 

On running downs, NE will be a whole, whole lot better than what you saw against the Fins last week. 

The team is waiting on Tommy Kelly now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mia76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On the stats side of things - people are pointing to 18 tackles in 8 games and saying he isn't producing - this of course compares to 'all world' nose tackle Vince who had something like 8 tackles in 4 games. What is missing is that Nose tackles almost never get big stats - their job is to stand their ground while occupying two blockers and let the LBs and DEs make the plays. I think he will be a great addition because he can do just that - do not expect personal stats but do expect better team stats against the run.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's stand your ground and occupy two gaps. Whether you have two offensive linemen on you depends on what the offense wants to do with their blocking scheme. 

And yeah, he was a two gap NT. He played in SFs 3 man fronts, and in some of their nickel fronts as well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccnsd's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is a good pickup. He two gaps and gets double teamed in the process. 

Excellent addition.

Why was he available for so little then?

[/QUOTE]

I think the Eagles were planning to let him go after the season.  They have a good young nose tackle who was getting a good percentage of the snaps (though Sopoaga was still getting the largest number of snaps at NT).  If they cut him at season's end they wouldn't have gotten anythnig for him and would have been stuck paying the $1 million he's apparently guaranteed next year.  Trading him to the Pats means they don't have to pay the guaranteed $1 million next year (Pats are stuck with that), plus it moves them up a round in the draft. There is some dead money the Eagles get stuck with, but they would have gotten stuck with that either way. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Bennie Logan (from LSU) has been a pleasant surprise in Philly. It's not a knock against Sopoaga, who's been good. He's older and more expensive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

agree, in a perfect world Soap playing in the middle gets Jones and Nink more single coverage, keeps a rotation at DT fresh thru the entire game, and solidifies a very porous middle of the line against the run...there is no down side to this signing, only positives if the guy has anything left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

so if we have someone to plug the middle, will BB back off on the blitz and pressure packages he's been using lately?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Sopoaga & Kelly is a good enough tandem vs the run

+ Spikes behind them i think the middle looks a little more than OK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is a motherload of meat to plop into the middle of the D-line. Seems like a good move under the circumstances.

[/QUOTE]

Does this mean you think the GM actually made a good move?

or does this mean it is OK for "you" to use the "given the circumstances" card when you crucified some other dude for doing a very similar thing?

You are a funny guy. :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

One thing that gets ignored when it comes to these blue collar non flashy vet signings is the intangilbe that comes with it.  Meaning he's long in the tooth and on his last legs, but playing for a team that isn't going anywhere.  It's a rare man indeed who wouldn't dial it down a notch or two under those circumstances?  Now he finds himself playing in a winning organiztion with a legitamite shot at a ring.  He could very well wind up being the next Ted Washington, and I'd would be happy as a pig in methane filled mud if that turns out to be the case. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yesterday spotrac says if he was cut there is no dead money after this season.  Today it says 1 million, but doesn't explain how.  All of the guaranteed money listed was from this year (the roster bonus at the beginning of the year and his salary this year).  Makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

actually I had not checked the site yesterday, only saw the $$$'s this morning, which as you can see shows $1M in dead money. has to be in his contract that if he is cut, there is some money owed, what else can it be?

pretty good site though, correct? updates every day

[/QUOTE]

He has $1 million of his 2014 salary guaranteed.  This is different from his signing bonus (which has already been paid by the Eagles and will become dead money for them). The guaranteed portion of his 2014 base salary will be paid to him next year regardless of whether or not he is cut.  If he is cut, it will be dead money for the Pats in 2014.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I wrong that only a few years ago this guy was an important piece to a pretty formidable SF defense?  All he needs to do here is to be an effective run stuffer - no one is expecting him to live up to the contract that the Eagles signed him to.     

[/QUOTE]

No you aren't. The 49ers were very formidable on the defensive line. 

Is he Wilfork? No. But given how Wilfork never really played up to his potential (for whatever reason, injuires, etc) this season, he could be closer to what NE got out fo Wilfork before the injury.

That is to say, much better than anything they've gotten since he left. 

On running downs, NE will be a whole, whole lot better than what you saw against the Fins last week. 

The team is waiting on Tommy Kelly now. 

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'm hoping for in this trade...a guy that is big and experienced that will give you more than we are currently getting. I read some forum stuff yesterday regarding this guy from a 49er's fan point of view, he said he will play to the level of the guys around him...if they are good he will raise his game, if they aren't he won't help much. I think he'll raise his game here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yesterday spotrac says if he was cut there is no dead money after this season.  Today it says 1 million, but doesn't explain how.  All of the guaranteed money listed was from this year (the roster bonus at the beginning of the year and his salary this year).  Makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

actually I had not checked the site yesterday, only saw the $$$'s this morning, which as you can see shows $1M in dead money. has to be in his contract that if he is cut, there is some money owed, what else can it be?

[/QUOTE]

He has $1 million of his 2014 salary guaranteed.  This is different from his signing bonus (which has already been paid by the Eagles and will become dead money for them). The guaranteed portion of his 2014 base salary will be paid to him next year regardless of whether or not he is cut.  If he is cut, it will be dead money for the Pats in 2014.  

[/QUOTE]

That's still really cheap for NE. A starting nose tackle for ~$1 million per is great depth, and a solidfying presense this year, while they are missing Wilfork. 

Because of the job the new kid is doing in Philly everyone benefits. NE gets a good NT for low cost, and by moving down a roun; Philly moves up a round and clears money off their books for other players. 

win <-> win

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's still really cheap for NE. A starting nose tackle for ~$1 million per is great depth, and a solidfying presense this year, while they are missing Wilfork. 

Because of the job the new kid is doing in Philly everyone benefits. NE gets a good NT for low cost, and by moving down a roun; Philly moves up a round and clears money off their books for other players. 

win <-> win

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Plus I think the Pats keep likely him next year if he plays well.  They need some more depth at DT.  I think his full salary next year is 3.75 million (1 million guaranteed), but they might offer him a restrucured deal that converts some base to bonus to help spread the cap hit. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

if we get Talib and then Kelly back we will be pretty good 

We lost Mayo but I believe in Fletcher there

I was getting a little  nervous before this trade, He is a quality experieced player. Who helps fill our biggest D hole. Kelly, Hightower, spikes and soap will be formidable against the run and we have players for the pass, Bb will have a lot with to scheme.

we now have to look forward to our O kicking in.

Season stats are not important, Being at peak form into the playoffs is. Some of these teams may wish that they could have put the Pats away when we were vulnerable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Brian Baldinger of the NFL network says it is an act of desperation on the Patriots part, Sopoaga has not been productive. He does not expect that to change and will not live up to expectations although he does admit that if anyone can get something out of him, it will be the Patriots.

Wow I hope the view through our rose colored glasses is right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brian Baldinger of the NFL network says it is an act of desperation on the Patriots part, Sopoaga has not been productive. He does not expect that to change and will not live up to expectations although he does admit that if anyone can get something out of him, it will be the Patriots.

Wow I hope the view through our rose colored glasses is right.

[/QUOTE]

Who for the Philly d has been productive? No one

depends what he is asked to do

16. This post has been removed.