It's Austin Collie Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

It's Austin Collie Time

There is no longer any margin for error the rest of the way.

It was fine to get the rookies acclimated to the offense during the regular season.   There wasn't much choice at the time.

Now it's win or go home.  

I keep hearing the same excuses for rookie drops in January that I was hearing in September. 

KT:

Hey, I like KT.   He fights to get off the line;  he has good jumping ability.   But he has a tendency to leave his feet (lunge) for every catch.   It reminds me a little of Lloyd who rarely had any YAC.   His route-running is unpredictable.  And then there are the drops.   You can't have drops at this time of year. 

AD:

I don't get the fascination people have with Ras-I Dobson right now.   Maybe in a year he'll be a key contributor, but not now.   They send him deep a lot to clear the underneath stuff for Edelman and DA, but when they actually target Dobson deep they rarely connect.  Here's a guy who got injured, or re-injured running in a straight line under a likely TD pass.  He never got a hand on the ball.  There was also the deep pass early in the season that he dropped.  When you spend 2 or 3 quarters setting up this play, the play is executed perfectly, and then you don't connect that's a major failure.

Boyce:

IR.  Enough said.

3 young guys in the prime of life and not a single one you can count on at kickoff.

Austin Collie:

Check out some of his number from actual playoff games while he was in Indy.  (These numbers are largely in a sub role).

4 games:  18 catches, 256 yards, 2 TDs

Here's what I love about this guy.   He runs great routes;  you can line him up in the slot or outside;  he's quick and elusive;  and most importantly, he doesn't drop the ball.

He also played his college ball at altitude in BYU.   Altitude can be a factor late in games.

We've all seen guys who perform well in the regular season but can't handle the playoff pressure.  The stage is just too big.   Not for Austin Collie it isn't.

As much as I love this guy I am well aware of his concussion history.  He may not even be on the roster next year.

Give this guy a minimum of 15 snaps this week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: It's Austin Collie Time

I'm good with 2 or 3 catches as long as they are the important chain moving catches in crunch time like in previous games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was fine to get the rookies acclimated to the offense during the regular season.   There wasn't much choice at the time.

Now it's win or go home.  

I keep hearing the same excuses for rookie drops in January that I was hearing in September. 

KT:

Hey, I like KT.   He fights to get off the line;  he has good jumping ability.   But he has a tendency to leave his feet (lunge) for every catch.   It reminds me a little of Lloyd who rarely had any YAC.   His route-running is unpredictable.  And then there are the drops.   You can't have drops at this time of year. 

AD:

I don't get the fascination people have with Ras-I Dobson right now.   Maybe in a year he'll be a key contributor, but not now.   They send him deep a lot to clear the underneath stuff for Edelman and DA, but when they actually target Dobson deep they rarely connect.  Here's a guy who got injured, or re-injured running in a straight line under a likely TD pass.  He never got a hand on the ball.  There was also the deep pass early in the season that he dropped.  When you spend 2 or 3 quarters setting up this play, the play is executed perfectly, and then you don't connect that's a major failure.

Boyce:

IR.  Enough said.

3 young guys in the prime of life and not a single one you can count on at kickoff.

Austin Collie:

Check out some of his number from actual playoff games while he was in Indy.  (These numbers are largely in a sub role).

Here's what I love about this guy.   He runs great routes;  you can line him up in the slot or outside;  he's quick and elusive;  and most importantly, he doesn't drop the ball.

He also played his college ball at altitude in BYU.   Altitude can be a factor late in games.

We've all seen guys who perform well in the regular season but can't handle the playoff pressure.  The stage is just too big.   Not for Austin Collie it isn't.

As much as I love this guy I am well aware of his concussion history.  He may not even be on the roster next year.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you.  I have said before, I believe that he is one of those players that people will not be thinking about, and this will set him up to have a big game.  It wouldn't surprise me at all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

your summary of the rookies is dead on. Like everyone else, I wish he had a receiver that can go up and get the ball. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

Can Collie get any separation, that will be the key.  I do think he has better hands than a few of the Pats other receivers.  Get open and Brady will hit you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

Now it's win or go home.  

KT:

AD:

Boyce:

IR.  Enough said.

Austin Collie:

[/QUOTE]

I agree the sneaky overlooked guys can be huge if they can get open.   I also like sneaky guys like hooman and develin who can slip out of pass protection and catch screen passes or wide open dump offs...   These guys both have great hands and have made one handed catches this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Collie lovefest is amazing...

no catches this week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I'm hesitant to be throwing the ball KT's way in the playoffs.  He's been too inconsistent down the stretch.  Give him another year to develop and I think he can be a solid contributor next year.

I disagree on Dobson.  When he's healthy, he changes games.  You could see Brady put more trust in him as the season grew.  Injuries have only hampered him.  If he's healthy for this weekend, he will be playing and contributing.

As for Collie, the guy is automatic.  I would like to see him get 15-20 snaps this week, especially in 3rd and long situations.  If Brady throws it to him, he's going to catch it.  How is Collie as a run blocker?  I haven't gone over enough film of this year except for about 3 games, so I have missed that aspect of his game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm hesitant to be throwing the ball KT's way in the playoffs.  He's been too inconsistent down the stretch.  Give him another year to develop and I think he can be a solid contributor next year.

I disagree on Dobson.  When he's healthy, he changes games.  You could see Brady put more trust in him as the season grew.  Injuries have only hampered him.  If he's healthy for this weekend, he will be playing and contributing.

As for Collie, the guy is automatic.  I would like to see him get 15-20 snaps this week, especially in 3rd and long situations.  If Brady throws it to him, he's going to catch it.  How is Collie as a run blocker?  I haven't gone over enough film of this year except for about 3 games, so I have missed that aspect of his game.

[/QUOTE]

Thompkins sucks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great Post Catfish, AD has been a huge disappointment.  He can't stay healthy or catch very well.  KT is what he is, undrafted free agent and unfortunately the best of the 3 rookie WR's.  Boyce is cut material.

Collie is the only guy getting open and making the big catch in his limited opportunities.  I can't understand why BB kept cutting him and when he's on the sidelines he stays on the sidelines.

Hopefully neither AD or KT can go (it's not like they can get open or catch it if open) and BB is forced to use Collie.

With a great run game and a 5 - 20 yard pass game we win by 17 easy.  You don't need to throw bombs to win.  Just catch the ball and keep the chains moving.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thompkins sucks.

[/QUOTE]

lol.  I think we all know how you feel about KT, 49.  Cheers buddy

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

If Dobson and Thompkins are both playing, Collie will be inactive. No need for 6 WRs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

no catches this week.

[/QUOTE]

It would be very disappointing if he was held without a catch against the Broncos.  That would tell me he won't see the field.

I'll tell you the truth - I'd start Collie over the Disappearing Amendola Act.   DA has 2 TDs for the season.   He rarely gets separation, forcing TB to be ridiculously precise when throwing his way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Dobson and Thompkins are both playing, Collie will be inactive. No need for 6 WRs.

[/QUOTE]

Pick the healthier of the 2 and sit the other.  

I think it would be taking a huge risk by starting both of these rookies with their recent DNP history and the other reasons I've mentioned.

If Dobson goes out with an injury again running untouched in a straight line and Collie is inactive watch out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great Post Catfish, AD has been a huge disappointment.  He can't stay healthy or catch very well.  KT is what he is, undrafted free agent and unfortunately the best of the 3 rookie WR's.  Boyce is cut material.

Collie is the only guy getting open and making the big catch in his limited opportunities.  I can't understand why BB kept cutting him and when he's on the sidelines he stays on the sidelines.

Hopefully neither AD or KT can go (it's not like they can get open or catch it if open) and BB is forced to use Collie.

With a great run game and a 5 - 20 yard pass game we win by 17 easy.  You don't need to throw bombs to win.  Just catch the ball and keep the chains moving.

[/QUOTE]

There is something to be said about a guy who can be a GAMER IN THE BIGGEST GAMES.  Sometimes it doesn't matter your draft position or your size or your speed.  ITS YOUR BRAIN.  Players change in big games.  Players shrink.  Others take advantage.

A guy like Collie could contribute simply because he is ready for the moment.  AD may not be , nor KT.  REmains to be seen.  I think Edelman will be HUGE.   He is the 6th round guy like Brady.   He will be hungry and ready to make the huge plays.  I like Vereen in this regard also.    Along with the sneaky guys like hooman and Develin. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

no catches this week.

[/QUOTE]

It would be very disappointing if he was held without a catch against the Broncos.  That would tell me he won't see the field.

I'll tell you the truth - I'd start Collie over the Disappearing Amendola Act.   DA has 2 TDs for the season.   He rarely gets separation, forcing TB to be ridiculously precise when throwing his way.

[/QUOTE]

He got separation last week.  If that ball wasn't a bit underthrown, he might have went the distance.  3 key catches for 77 yards is a solid day, especially when you consider the gameplan was focusing on running the ball. 

I think Danny has a big game this week.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is something to be said about a guy who can be a GAMER IN THE BIGGEST GAMES.  Sometimes it doesn't matter your draft position or your size or your speed.  ITS YOUR BRAIN.  Players change in big games.  Players shrink.  Others take advantage.

A guy like Collie could contribute simply because he is ready for the moment.  AD may not be , nor KT.  REmains to be seen.  I think Edelman will be HUGE.   He is the 6th round guy like Brady.   He will be hungry and ready to make the huge plays.  I like Vereen in this regard also.    Along with the sneaky guys like hooman and Develin. 

[/QUOTE]

Great post, coolade.  But Edelman was a 7th round draft pick ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Now it's win or go home.  

KT:

AD:

Boyce:

IR.  Enough said.

Austin Collie:

[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right in everything you wrote...Collie running good routes, his production when he's out there, etc. The only thin I would add - and you did nail it on Dobson - is that Dobson is big...he potentially could be a redzone threat, the only thing is catches in the redzone are tough to make (Small windows, the ball is sometimes thrown hard, there is usually a guy hanging on you, etc), and he is known for dropping balls, but he is tall and big. I think that would be usefull rather than three smaller receivers out there with corners draped all over them. Even that TD Edelman had against the Broncos earlier this year, he wasn't exactly "open", it was a perfect throw and a outstanding catch...tough to do that twice.

I agree, Collie needs to be a factor. Two weeks ago I thought it was Thompkins that needed to be that factor...I was wrong. I thought he could regain some of that old magic and burst free for a few big gains, instead he ran a slant and got knuckled. Is that all he can do? Run slants? I mean I thought with the time off they would have had him fake a slant and run an out...or something, but it was the same old predictable thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pick the healthier of the 2 and sit the other.  

I think it would be taking a huge risk by starting both of these rookies with their recent DNP history and the other reasons I've mentioned.

If Dobson goes out with an injury again running untouched in a straight line and Collie is inactive watch out.

[/QUOTE]

Reiss called for Thompkins to sit.  Just a hunch.

Would rather not have both active. Can't afford a 5-6 drop game and neither has been a factor in the second half.

Go with the steady and experienced vet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'll repost the stats from the Roddy White thread, for those of you claiming the rookies are not living up to your expectations.

Roddy White's rookie year:  16 games, 8 starts, 29 recepts, 446 yds, 15.4 ypc, 3 TDs

Aaron Dobson's rookie year: 12 games, 9 starts, 37 recepts, 519 yds, 14.0 ypc, 4 TDs

Kenbrell Thompkins' rookie year: 12 games, 8 starts, 32 recepts, 466 yds, 14.6 ypc, 4 TDs

Some other first year WRs:

Hines Ward: 15 recepts, 0 TDs

Michael Irvin: 30 recepts, 5 TDs, followed that up with 26 and 20 catches and 7 total TDs in his next 2 years

Steve Smith: 10 recepts, 0 TDs

Vincent Jackson: 30 recepts, 6 TDs, in his first 2 seasons combined...

Reggie Wayne: 20 recepts, 0 TDs

Stanley Morgan: 21 recepts, 3 TDs

Tim Brown: Caught 43 and 5 TDs his first year, then went 1/0, 18/3 and 36/5 his next three seasons (ended up with over 1,000 catches and 100 TDs)

Cris Carter: First four years, averaged 29 recepts and almost 6 TDs per year, but the TDs were skewed because he caught 11 in one year in Philly (didn't catch that many again until his 9th year).

Wes Welker: 29 recepts, 0 TDs

Eric Decker: 6 recepts, 1 TD

Jordy Nelson:  33 recepts, 2 TDs

Demaryius Thomas: 22 recepts, 2 TDs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

no catches this week.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He got separation last week.  If that ball wasn't a bit underthrown, he might have went the distance.  3 key catches for 77 yards is a solid day, especially when you consider the gameplan was focusing on running the ball. 

I think Danny has a big game this week.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree...you watch him after he caught that ball? His legs were junk. He couldn't of out ran a cheer leader to the endzone on that particular play. I know after the season it will be said he toughed it out with a groin problem or perhaps something else, but the fact is his legs are gone. They have been gone all season. He gets nothing out of his breaks. There is no separation. There is no explosiveness to his game. And for all the talk about him being able to play outside and get past a defense?? That is crap. He did it against the Colts, sure, but that was after we ran wild on them all night and no one was there covering him. Watch him outside (the few times they put him out there), corners eat him up.

Can he run routes? Yeah I think he does it well, but his legs look gone too me. I imagine it's the groin...I'll give him that, but I watched him try to play outside in camp and he couldn't beat Talib or Dennard once (I'm assuming he was healthy then). Talib and Dennard had great camps, but they got beat outside once in a while by Boyce and Dobson when I was watching...never by Amendola.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

I agree that rookie receivers have definitely made mistakes and have not been a huge factor in our passing game. But seriously collie has 6 catches for 63 yards so far this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to gogogopats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that rookie receivers have definitely made mistakes and have not been a huge factor in our passing game. But seriously collie has 6 catches for 63 yards so far this year.

[/QUOTE]

You're right that Collie hasn't done much. But Brady passed for 4,343 yds and 25 TDs. Thompkins and Dobson accounted for 985 yards and 8 TDs between them. I'd call that a significant factor. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to gogogopats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You can't make catches on the sideline. 

Hey, I was calling for Jamie Collins to get PT for the first half of the season when player after player went down on defense and end-of-the-roster guys got PT ahead of him.  Look at Collins now.  At least Collins is a rookie.  Maybe he needed time to learn the schemes etc.

Collie is a proven vet.   The ONLY thing that keeps him on the sideline is his concussion history.

2009 AFCCG Collie had 7 catches for 123 yards 1 TD

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As much as I love the guy, that's not his strong suit.