It's been 3 years grade the 2007 draft.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: It's been 3 years grade the 2007 draft.

I'll go back to my earlier post.  Although most on this board (board in general, not just this thread) have seemed to agree that we had a 3 year string of mediocre drafts prior to 2009, for those who think we drafted well, explain one thing:

Why has the number of players on our roster not drafted by us gone up each year?  We've always had FA's on the team, but it's gone into overdrive lately.  Granted, I'm making an eyeball observation and have not gone through each year's roster, but am I wrong?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

I don't remember them having any room on the roster for late round draft picks.  5 of those guys ended up with other teams (Colts and Jets primarily, I think Hairston went to the Colts, too) and Richardson's injuries dropped his value.  Then the Pats went 18-1.  They would have been better off trading up or out of the draft, but I'll take the 18-1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

BB always trades down to pick up more draft picks........We have passed on countless lb's .....Willis, Beason, Maleuga,Laurenitis, Cushing, Matthews.........we could of had any of them .........they are all upgrades over what we have.......hell we traded for Burgess........Are you telling me he is an upgrade over Vrabel........I am disgusted.....he made his bed ......now he can ly in it...........We have a first and three number two's.....by the end of the day we will have one number two and six picks for 7 years from now.................Its a joke

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

To JimfromFlorida, It's an unofficial rule of thumb-to grade a after three years. Every time someone calls a player a bust they you can't call him a bust until after 3 years if he's here that long. So that said 2007 grades were due now, next year will be 2008 then 2009.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Carawaydj,

I think all of the picks in the draft should be starters. I think they all should be impact players. They should dominate at their positions and be the best in the nfl.

But this isn't reality. Show me one draft year where all the #1 picks were starters within 3 years? I betcha you can't find one. Show me one draft where all the 2nd rounders were big contributors? I betcha can't find one.

The facts are these. Take any draft over the past 20 years and if 30% of your picks are starters or impact players within 3 years, you are doing very well. Prove that wrong with something concrete.

I agree with you that I want our #1's to be good solid players. But the reality is that the transition to the NFL takes a lot more than athletic ability. It is WAY more complex than the college game. Everyone has athletic ability in the pros. To expect 100+ players in every draft to positive contributors within their first few years is simply unrealistic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Considering how most of those picks are late late round, I'd say that draft was okay. 

Merriweather was a good pick. Brown was a bust. Everyone else drafted round 5 or lower you can expect to be a bust and fulfilled expectations.