It's NOT a "Must-Win" Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

It's NOT a "Must-Win" Game

I keep hearing that it is;  it isn't.

For starters, let's say the Pats lose to the Ravens. 

Are they eliminated from the playoffs?  Not hardly.

Do they lose the #2 seed?  Not necessarily.

Do they still have a chance to win the division outright by beating Buffalo at home?   Yes.

Would a win over Buffalo mean a home playoff game?  Yes.

"Must win" means win or pack your bags for the offseason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: It's NOT a

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do they still have a chance to win the division outright by beating Buffalo at home?   Yes.

[/QUOTE]

It's important that the Patriots show they can beat the Ravens.  They have not done a very convincing job of that lately--even when they finish the game with more points.  I think Baltimore is their toughest AFC opponent and they have to prove they can play them. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, if the lose it sets a bad set of wheels in motion, and I hope they don't go down that path.

If you allow the Bills to come up here with a chance to knock us off you are asking for nothing but trouble.

I have seen this too many times. Buffalo, with nothing to lose, plays without normal rules in place that contending teams play by. They can run crazy plays, end arounds, deep what the heck bombs, go for it on 4th and what ever who gives a rats azz....

Pats must find a way Sunday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's important that the Patriots show they can beat the Ravens.  They have not done a very convincing job of that lately--even when they finish the game with more points.  I think Baltimore is their toughest AFC opponent and they have to prove they can play them. 

[/QUOTE]

The Giants lost to the Pats in NY on the last game of the season in 2007.  It didn't seem to affect them when they played again in the SB.

I expect the Pats to see the Ravens again in the playoffs when it really will be a must-win game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Giants lost to the Pats in NY on the last game of the season in 2007.  It didn't seem to affect them when they played again in the SB.

I expect the Pats to see the Ravens again in the playoffs when it really will be a must-win game.

[/QUOTE]

If we beat the Ravens and Miami wins....the Dolphins take over the 2nd Wildcard...not the Ravens...and actually a pretty good reason for us taking down the Ravens as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, if the lose it sets a bad set of wheels in motion, and I hope they don't go down that path.

If you allow the Bills to come up here with a chance to knock us off you are asking for nothing but trouble.

I have seen this too many times. Buffalo, with nothing to lose, plays without normal rules in place that contending teams play by. They can run crazy plays, end arounds, deep what the heck bombs, go for it on 4th and what ever who gives a rats azz....

[/QUOTE]

First, let's be honest ... if we are afraid of playing Buffalo at home we have ZERO business thinking the Pats are a SB contender.

Second, if the Bills have crazy gadget plays in their playbook that have any potential for winning a 60-minute game they probably should have used them in their first 15 games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

IMO, it is a must win for them.  They have to win at least one of the next two to guarantee a playoff spot.  If they lose one of the next two games and the Bengals win their next two then the Patriots will wind up in the 3rd seed.  No bye.

If the Pats lose both the next two games they could easily be out of the playoffs completely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First, let's be honest ... if we are afraid of playing Buffalo at home we have ZERO business thinking the Pats are a SB contender.

Second, if the Bills have crazy gadget plays in their playbook that have any potential for winning a 60-minute game they probably should have used them in their first 15 games.

[/QUOTE]

Did my point regarding teams that can play reckless are more dangerous than teams that are still contending miss it's mark?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

If we beat the Ravens and Miami wins....the Dolphins take over the 2nd Wildcard...not the Ravens...and actually a pretty good reason for us taking down the Ravens as well.

[/QUOTE]

The Ravens are going to beat CINN next week anyway.  The Dolphins won't win both of their remaining games. The Ravens will make the playoffs regardless of whether they win or lose against the Pats this week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Ravens are going to beat CINN next week anyway.  The Dolphins won't win both of their remaining games. The Ravens will make the playoffs regardless of whether they win or lose against the Pats this week.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize Miami is at the Bills and then home against the Jets....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO, it is a must win for them.  They have to win at least one of the next two to guarantee a playoff spot.  If they lose one of the next two games and the Bengals win their next two then the Patriots will wind up in the 3rd seed.  No bye.

If the Pats lose both the next two games they could easily be out of the playoffs completely.

[/QUOTE]

Even a #3 seed is hardly the end of the world.   You are guaranteed at least 2 home playoff games (if you win the first).

And why is everyone so afraid of Buffalo?

Here, listen to this and every time you hear the words "we talkin' about practice!" replace it in your head with "we talkin' about Buffalo!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only way the Pats miss the playoffs is if ALL of the following happen:

A. MIA wins their final 2 games (probable, but not certain)

B. BAL wins their final 2 games (somewhat unlikely due to...)

C. CIN wins this Sunday and LOSES to BAL at home in the final week (handing BAL the division title in the process).

D. NE loses at HOME vs. Buffalo (very unlikely)

That is the only possible scenario that has the Pats missing the playoffs.  That is not a situation that can "easily" happen.  It possibly could.  The fact that BAL-CIN in Week 17 would be for the division title, however, drastically reduces those odds, as CIN would be playing all-out at home.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes I do.

You do realize you are expressing fear about the Pats playing Buffalo at HOME, but you are expressing confidence in Miami beating Buffalo IN BUFFALO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Definitely agree what it's not a must win.  Let's say they do lose this week.  Another crack to win the division next week.  If they can't get that done then I don't care too much about what would need to happen to make it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes I do.

You do realize you are expressing fear about the Pats playing Buffalo at HOME, but you are expressing confidence in Miami beating Buffalo IN BUFFALO.

[/QUOTE]

Yes...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

It's not. They are not playing to get to the playoffs. Raising the seeding is a nice to have, but is not necessary. Just look at how many wild card teams made it to the SB in the last five years.

I would rather that they treat this game as an experiment... to learn what they need to to beat a team like the Ravens in the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Here, play around with the different scenarios here.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I like the optimism, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree.

1.) A loss potentially deprives NE of a bye to heal their roster (badly needed this season). 

2.) A loss severly compromises NE's shot at having homefield advantage. I view that as a necessity this postseason. Stop and consider this: if NE wins in Baltimore (that is a big if) they will be 4-4 on the road this season. The average margin of victory in those games is about 3 points. NE just isn't a great road team. Outside of a potential matchup in Denver, against whom NE matches very well, I don't think NE would be able to beat any of these teams on the road in the playoffs. 

3.) Yes, technically they would have a chance to recapture homefield and a bye; however, that would require yet another Cincinnatti loss and an Indianapolis loss to boot. Each of these teams has one hard game on their roster: Indy plays KC this week, and Cincy plays Baltimore next week. The chances, though, that both teams lose those contests are not good. 

For all intents and purposes, a loss this week undermines any realistic chance NE has at making a run of it this season. 

That, to me, makes Sunday's contest a must win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even a #3 seed is hardly the end of the world.   You are guaranteed at least 2 home playoff games (if you win the first).

And why is everyone so afraid of Buffalo?

Here, listen to this and every time you hear the words "we talkin' about practice!" replace it in your head with "we talkin' about Buffalo!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

[/QUOTE]

Actually you are only guaranteed 1, and guaranteed 1 playoff road game which the Pats have been beyond bad at this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually you are only guaranteed 1, and guaranteed 1 playoff road game which the Pats have been beyond bad at this year.

[/QUOTE]

3-4 with no loss by more than 7 (each of which saw the Pats with the ball inside the opponent's 30 with a chance to at least tie within the last 2 minutes) is "beyond bad"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Aside from clinching a playoff spot, I think this game is very important in terms of boosting the morale of the team. If they can get a win against a potential playoff team on the road (after disappointing last week), I think it would help the team rebound greatly.

On the other hand, a loss to the Ravens, while not deadly, would be quite demoralizing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

It's a must win game for the Pats, they can't afford to lose the 2nd seed to have any chance of a SB run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

3-4 with no loss by more than 7 (each of which saw the Pats with the ball inside the opponent's 30 with a chance to at least tie within the last 2 minutes) is "beyond bad"?

[/QUOTE]

yes considering in those 4 loses they had chances to put the game away or win it on both the O and D side of the ball and couldn't against teams that won't make the playoffs. Against playoff teams that gives you confidence they can win on the road against better competition?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At this stage how many of us believe they are a Super Bowl contender?  Pre injuries? Sure. Your bigger point is spot on however.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

yes considering in those 4 loses they had chances to put the game away or win it on both the O and D side of the ball and couldn't against teams that won't make the playoffs. Against playoff teams that gives you confidence they can win on the road against better competition?

[/QUOTE]

Seeing as how they DID come through in pressure-filled situations in the final minute of the 4th quarter @Buffalo (on offense), @Atlanta (on defense), vs.New Orleans (on offense), vs.Denver (on offense) and vs. Cleveland (on offense); not to mention the well-publicized questionable officiating at the end of both the Carolina and Jets games... why wouldn't you have confidence in them?

No team in the NFL is more battle-tested in tense 60-minute battles.  While I might doubt the talent level of the remaining roster, considering the Pro Bowl talent on IR, I have no doubts about the intestinal fortitude of this team, which is what you need to perform on the road.