Its official; Ed Reed signs with Jests

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: Its official; Ed Reed signs with Jests

Also means he's not smart enough to learn a new defense...?  Or a few signals...?  Sounds like a convenient answer.   NYJets meant easy money and he can stay on the "Patriot-hater" side of the isle.   BB would have made him work. 

Also....   you posters claiming ...

quote....

I can't wait to see the people who thought he would work here come out now and trash him because it is the Jests.

Now ... I hope he really was gassed in Texas and it wasn't just Phillips' poor coaching.

Reed is dead to me! Haha.

[/QUOTE]
    http://1o983vok8t81oeev33de64c8nq.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BZDAxyrIUAAAZ2Q.jpg-large.jpg

[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up.  ...

Um..  WRong again as in,  Wrong in this case.   Ed Reed is only valuable to the Patriots (and fans)  if he wanted to come here and buy into the Belichick system and philosophy.   Part of that is a willingness to work hard and be a team player.

Idiots...  Ed Reed revealed himself by signing with the Jets. He revealed his intentions and his motivations...  From that, you can glean that he likely is done.  All he can muster now is taking the easy money and the easy way out.   Apparently , this is too challenging a concept or interpretation for some of you to grasp.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

35qftt.jpg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Thats an old picture  that makes him look like he can still play. ... lol.  

Put him in a Jet UNI  ...lol.   He'll probly look OLder than dirt ... just like Favre....lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]Certain types of people are drawn to Ryan. He is a defensive coach who challenges his players and gives them some free rein too.

I can't wait to see the people who thought he would work here come out now and trash him because it is the Jests.

Now ... I hope he really was gassed in Texas and it wasn't just Phillips' poor coaching.

[/QUOTE]
    http://1o983vok8t81oeev33de64c8nq.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BZDAxyrIUAAAZ2Q.jpg-large.jpg

[/QUOTE]

^ Lol.

All fans are like that to a degree. 

I thought he could have contributed. I also thought BB would kick the tires, given Gregory's issues and NE's overall ussue with safety depth. 

I also think he can help the Jets, though I think that team has bigger structural issues on the other side of the ball.

In the end, it's entirely possible that NE simply yawned over it and didn't do a thing because they think he is cashed out? Or maybe they submitted an offer? Maybe he chose the Jets because of more money, or Rex, or the scheme?

Unless something comes out ... we won't know. 

And the conversation ends because he isn't a Patriot. 

And at any given rate, Gregory has been decent this season, so I am MORE interested in finding out how long he will be out. After him it's Harmon and Wilson, who kind of look like the dregs right now. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Certain types of people are drawn to Ryan. He is a defensive coach who challenges his players and gives them some free rein too.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^ Lol.

I thought he could have contributed. I also thought BB would kick the tires, given Gregory's issues and NE's overall ussue with safety depth. 

I also think he can help the Jets, though I think that team has bigger structural issues on the other side of the ball.

In the end, it's entirely possible that NE simply yawned over it and didn't do a thing because they think he is cashed out? Or maybe they submitted an offer? Maybe he chose the Jets because of more money, or Rex, or the scheme?

And at any given rate, Gregory has been decent this season, so I am MORE interested in finding out how long he will be out. After him it's Harmon and Wilson, who kind of look like the dregs right now. 

[/QUOTE]

He did kick the tires. Reed chose the jets.  Not because he is greedy(he is making the vets minimum) like Rusty said.  Maybe Rusty will admit he was wrong on his expert analysis this time? not likely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to WeDerrWEDAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^ Lol.

[/QUOTE]

He did kick the tires. Reed chose the jets.  Not because he is greedy(he is making the vets minimum) like Rusty said.  Maybe Rusty will admit he was wrong on his expert analysis this time? not likely.

[/QUOTE]

Where is it printed he's making the vet minimum? This is his retirement bonus check. No way he plays fr the vet min. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats an old picture  that makes him look like he can still play. ... lol.  

Put him in a Jet UNI  ...lol.   He'll probly look OLder than dirt ... just like Favre....lol.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^ Lol.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where is it printed he's making the vet minimum? This is his retirement bonus check. No way he plays fr the vet min. 

[/QUOTE]

For your reading pleasure:

By Darryl Slater/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on November 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM, updated November 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Email  

jets stock jets stock All Stories |

Future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed spoke to reporters for about 12 minutes after signing with the Jets on Thursday. A sampling of his most interesting comments …

--- Reed said he heard, in some form, from the Dolphins and Patriots during his brief free agency.

"I don't think either one of them wanted me in their conference,” he said.

But that’s right where he ended up – and in the AFC East, no less.

--- Does Reed think he has something left?

“I don’t think I’d be here if they (the Jets) didn’t think that,” he said. “I know what I know. I know what I feel and I know what I put into my offseason workout.”

--- Reed chafed at criticism of how he played in Houston, which cut him.

“When you critique me, you’ve got to critique everybody,” he said. “But it seems that Ed Reed is held to a higher standard – and I created that monster. I’ve been blessed to create that monster. I love it. I’m all for it.”

--- What keeps Reed playing at 35 years old?

“I love the game,” he said. “I love football. I’m going to play it until I can’t play it no more. I think that’s why God blessed me with the gifts that he did. Football is the sport of kings. It’s not about rings and all that stuff. Of course you want to get it, but it’s just something that you’re able to do for a short chapter of your life. I didn’t feel like this book was over yet. Obviously it’s not. I’m still playing. I just love the game. I have a big heart for it. My heart is pigskin and probably a football.”

The Jets on Thursday signed future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed, who had cleared waivers after being released by Houston, and the star seemed to fit in immediately.

Wearing No. 22 -- which might be temporary -- Reed was at practice Thursday, joking with his new teammates. During stretching, assistant coach Jeff Weeks chatted with Reed. He then was approached by defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, who showed him something on a piece of paper, possibly game-plan information.

The equipment staff adjusted his helmet -- the kind of thing that happens when you join a new team. Reed wears a visor on his facemask.

Reed chatted with head coach Rex Ryan, then jumped on the scout kickoff coverage team as the Jets practiced kick returns. He ran down field with full strides but not at full speed.

POLL: Was Jets' signing of Ed Reed the right move?

Reed, a five-time All-Pro and nine-time Pro Bowler, played from 2002-12 with Baltimore and won a Super Bowl last season. He signed with the Texans in the offseason. He has led the NFL in interceptions three times and has 61 career picks, seven of which he returned for touchdowns. Reed ranks 10th in NFL history in both interceptions and interceptions returned for touchdowns. He is first with 1,541 interception return yards and fifth with 13 non-offensive touchdowns.

He reunites with Ryan, who was the Ravens’ defensive line coach for Reed’s first three seasons in Baltimore and their defensive coordinator from 2005-08, before Ryan came to the Jets. Ryan said Wednesday that he had spoken with Jets general manager John Idzik about Reed.

It remains unclear what type of role Reed will have with the Jets, or what the 35-year-old will be able to offer in terms of production. The Jets’ starting safeties have been Dawan Landry, who was mentored by Reed as a rookie in Baltimore in 2006, and Antonio Allen, a second-year player who has been reliable in coverage on tight ends this season. If the Jets play Reed in a situational role, he could cut into Jaiquawn Jarrett’s playing time.

However the Jets use Reed, they are counting on him to bolster a pass defense that ranks No. 24 in the NFL with 251.4 yards allowed per game. Reed, renowned for his intensity since his college days at Miami, could also provide veteran leadership in the Jets’ locker room.

The Jets are getting Reed at something of a bargain: $412,000, plus $62,500 for each game he plays.

Reed is familiar with Ryan’s system, which means he could be able to pick things up quickly enough to contribute in Sunday’s game at Buffalo. But Reed was also benched by Houston, and was critical of the Texans’ coaches in the aftermath.

In seven games with the Texans (five starts), Reed had zero interceptions and 14 tackles. His game-by-game snap counts were 49, 63, 24, 37, 57, 32 and 13.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^ Lol.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For your reading pleasure:

By Darryl Slater/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on November 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM, updated November 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Email  

jets stock jets stock

All Stories |

Future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed spoke to reporters for about 12 minutes after signing with the Jets on Thursday. A sampling of his most interesting comments …

--- Reed said he heard, in some form, from the Dolphins and Patriots during his brief free agency.

--- Does Reed think he has something left?

“I don’t think I’d be here if they (the Jets) didn’t think that,” he said. “I know what I know. I know what I feel and I know what I put into my offseason workout.”

--- Reed chafed at criticism of how he played in Houston, which cut him.

“When you critique me, you’ve got to critique everybody,” he said. “But it seems that Ed Reed is held to a higher standard – and I created that monster. I’ve been blessed to create that monster. I love it. I’m all for it.”

--- What keeps Reed playing at 35 years old?

“I love the game,” he said. “I love football. I’m going to play it until I can’t play it no more. I think that’s why God blessed me with the gifts that he did. Football is the sport of kings. It’s not about rings and all that stuff. Of course you want to get it, but it’s just something that you’re able to do for a short chapter of your life. I didn’t feel like this book was over yet. Obviously it’s not. I’m still playing. I just love the game. I have a big heart for it. My heart is pigskin and probably a football.”

The Jets on Thursday signed future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed, who had cleared waivers after being released by Houston, and the star seemed to fit in immediately.

Wearing No. 22 -- which might be temporary -- Reed was at practice Thursday, joking with his new teammates. During stretching, assistant coach Jeff Weeks chatted with Reed. He then was approached by defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, who showed him something on a piece of paper, possibly game-plan information.

The equipment staff adjusted his helmet -- the kind of thing that happens when you join a new team. Reed wears a visor on his facemask.

Reed chatted with head coach Rex Ryan, then jumped on the scout kickoff coverage team as the Jets practiced kick returns. He ran down field with full strides but not at full speed.

POLL: Was Jets' signing of Ed Reed the right move?

Reed, a five-time All-Pro and nine-time Pro Bowler, played from 2002-12 with Baltimore and won a Super Bowl last season. He signed with the Texans in the offseason. He has led the NFL in interceptions three times and has 61 career picks, seven of which he returned for touchdowns. Reed ranks 10th in NFL history in both interceptions and interceptions returned for touchdowns. He is first with 1,541 interception return yards and fifth with 13 non-offensive touchdowns.

He reunites with Ryan, who was the Ravens’ defensive line coach for Reed’s first three seasons in Baltimore and their defensive coordinator from 2005-08, before Ryan came to the Jets. Ryan said Wednesday that he had spoken with Jets general manager John Idzik about Reed.

It remains unclear what type of role Reed will have with the Jets, or what the 35-year-old will be able to offer in terms of production. The Jets’ starting safeties have been Dawan Landry, who was mentored by Reed as a rookie in Baltimore in 2006, and Antonio Allen, a second-year player who has been reliable in coverage on tight ends this season. If the Jets play Reed in a situational role, he could cut into Jaiquawn Jarrett’s playing time.

However the Jets use Reed, they are counting on him to bolster a pass defense that ranks No. 24 in the NFL with 251.4 yards allowed per game. Reed, renowned for his intensity since his college days at Miami, could also provide veteran leadership in the Jets’ locker room.

The Jets are getting Reed at something of a bargain: $412,000, plus $62,500 for each game he plays.

Reed is familiar with Ryan’s system, which means he could be able to pick things up quickly enough to contribute in Sunday’s game at Buffalo. But Reed was also benched by Houston, and was critical of the Texans’ coaches in the aftermath.

In seven games with the Texans (five starts), Reed had zero interceptions and 14 tackles. His game-by-game snap counts were 49, 63, 24, 37, 57, 32 and 13.

[/QUOTE]

That's a million for a half season. 2 m per by my calculations.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That was never in print. At least that I saw. There was never even a report of interest that I saw.

Just a few articles labelling NE as one possible destination along with the Ravens, Jests, etcetera.  

I understand NE is typically cloak and dagger about this stuff .... but you can't just make stuff up. Merely because an outlet posts that NE might be a team Reed would fit with ... doesn't mean they contacted him in any way. 

It certainly doesn't mean they negotiated with him. 

And it most certainly doesn't mean that they issued an offer to him. 

Furthermore, we don't even know if NE was shopping for a safety at all. NE is already carrying a ton of DBs and has a heavily rotational defense at this point which is roster spot intensive. It is altogether unclear if they would even have a spot for a part time safety, as wiley and experienced as Reed is. So there is that. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was never in print. There was never even a report of interest that I saw.

Just a few articles labelling NE as one possible destination along with the Ravens, Jests, etcetera.  

I understand NE is typically cloak and dagger about this stuff .... but you can't just make stuff up. Merely because an outlet posts that NE might be a team Reed would fit with ... doesn't mean they contacted him in any way. 

Furthermore, we don't even know if NE was shopping for a safety at all. NE is already carrying a ton of DBs and has a heavily rotational defense at this point which is roster spot intensive. It is altogether unclear if they would even have a spot for a part time safety, as wiley and experienced as Reed is. So there is that. 

[/QUOTE]

Straight from Ed Reeds lips in the above article.  I saw it in another article as well but not sure which paper it was from.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]

That's a million for a half season. 2 m per by my calculations.  

[/QUOTE]

yeah, you are right, 1 mill is more than the minimum for a +10 year vet. Still not much more $$$ imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was never in print. At least that I saw. There was never even a report of interest that I saw.

[/QUOTE]

honestly, i dont know what good he would have done on the pats.  DMC is having a good year for you guys.  He may have wanted to just keep him away from the jets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was never in print. There was never even a report of interest that I saw.

[/QUOTE]

Reed said that he had talked to Patriots.  The contents of that convo are not public yet....  Maybe BB will comment...lol  ... "yeah we asked Reed if he wanted to come to NE for a workout...and he declined..."   something like that.

The article above states that he wasn't on display running full speed.  Why not...?  Is he afraid to pull something?  Red flag #5 right there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

honestly, i dont know what good he would have done on the pats.  DMC is having a good year for you guys.  He may have wanted to just keep him away from the jets.

[/QUOTE]

I missed that. My bad. 

At any rate, they might not have even offered him anything. Perhaps they said "part time" and Reed opted for more reps - this was his issue in Texas.

At any rate, if Gregory is on pace to return, you are correct ... NE does not need safety help at all. DMC has been outstanding and Gregory has been very good.