It's so obvious to me - BB Comments on Welker Talib hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

It's so obvious to me - BB Comments on Welker Talib hit

There has been lots of talk about BB's unprovoked comments on the Welker hit on Talib. Mostly everyone has been really surprised by the comments. It seemed to everyone that it was really unusual for BB to firstly give any personal opinions without beings asked any question, to secondly comment on what is a fairly routine pick play that happens numerous times in every game, to thirdly put down an ex-Patriots who is still held in decent regard in the Pats locker room and to fourthly call for/demand league action against it.

To me this is all so obvious. The reasons BB did this was to show Talib he'll back him up and defend him. To show him that he doesn't consider him fragile or an injury risk and the only reason he sat out was of an apparently egregious violation. All of this is just to shore up and cement the relationship with Talib. We've seen BB do this before, most recently with Moss during his years here, where BB would go out and defend Moss incessantly in public that he doesn't take plays off blah blah blah, and it helped keep Moss in line at a good price enough to get some good years out of him. Same reason he keeps praising Blount to high moon every press conference.

So it's all part of BB being the tactical genius that he is. I think this press conference has significantly increased our chances of securing Talib on a Vollmer like incentive laden multi-year contract linked to playing time at a decent price which becomes a high price if Talib can stay on the field. 

It's all tactics. In reality BB couldn't care less about league rules on pick plays. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Re: It's so obvious to me - BB Comments on Welker Talib hit

Yes, BB is a tactical genius.  I loved the 4th down call.  Brilliant.  I also loved the "give up 6 yards a run" tactic in the first Denver game.  Nothing stops Peyton like demonstrating that you can't stop the run.... that and a Welker fumble.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Yeah you might have something there. I guess we will have to wait for the book to really know though. Cracks me up about Brady's interview and how he paused when responding to the question about DA. Maybe he paused because he knows you have to choose your words carefully when talking to the media as they will try to take everything out of context...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GS1897. Show GS1897's posts

I kind of agree with you. It does remind me of the way he would gush about other guys like Moss and Corey Dillion.

I think he's just trying to make the hit seem worse than it was so that Talib doesn't come away looking like a big huge fragile pus sy. After all, he did take himself out of the biggest game of the year over some minor boo-boo.

I'd prefer that another team to sign this guy to an outrageous contract. And then he can sit on their sidelines during next years playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to murghkhor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There has been lots of talk about BB's unprovoked comments on the Welker hit on Talib. Mostly everyone has been really surprised by the comments. It seemed to everyone that it was really unusual for BB to firstly give any personal opinions without beings asked any question, to secondly comment on what is a fairly routine pick play that happens numerous times in every game, to thirdly put down an ex-Patriots who is still held in decent regard in the Pats locker room and to fourthly call for/demand league action against it.

To me this is all so obvious. The reasons BB did this was to show Talib he'll back him up and defend him. To show him that he doesn't consider him fragile or an injury risk and the only reason he sat out was of an apparently egregious violation. All of this is just to shore up and cement the relationship with Talib. We've seen BB do this before, most recently with Moss during his years here, where BB would go out and defend Moss incessantly in public that he doesn't take plays off blah blah blah, and it helped keep Moss in line at a good price enough to get some good years out of him. Same reason he keeps praising Blount to high moon every press conference.

So it's all part of BB being the tactical genius that he is. I think this press conference has significantly increased our chances of securing Talib on a Vollmer like incentive laden multi-year contract linked to playing time at a decent price which becomes a high price if Talib can stay on the field. 

It's all tactics. In reality BB couldn't care less about league rules on pick plays. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. He doesn't say much of anything that isn't calculated. This is no exception.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. He doesn't say much of anything that isn't calculated. This is no exception.

[/QUOTE]

He is trying to take talib"s side and defend him so he can sign him to a contract.. I agree even though i believe it was a cheap hit JMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

what will it take other than BB in a round about way telling Talib "I have your back" to sign Talib? 3/$21M? 4/$25M? $12M guaranteed?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If this is true then do you really want Talib back at all? You mentioned Moss and GS mentioned Dillon, weren't both essentially booted off the team because they consistently needed their ego's massaged and if they didn't they made waves in the locker room, esp over contracts and money? Do you really want to sign an injury prone player who can't play through a minor injury and will most likely complain about an incentive laden deal if he has 1 good year if you need to keep working his ego by doing things you normally wouldn't do for any other player including Brady?

If somehow BB gets a great deal (and when I say great I mean pretty much not guaranteed money and 5mil or less per year average) for Talib, great it worked. But, if this turns into another Moss, Dillon situation where a couple years down the line they need to boot him off the team for "influencing" the young CB's in the wrong way and he still misses or is ineffective for half a season because of injury was it really worth it? Don't forget Moss was called a leader too until he wasn't in town anymore. You never find out the truth about the guys that need constant massaging until they are out of town. Some are just as reported and some are the exact opposite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If this is true then do you really want Talib back at all? You mentioned Moss and GS mentioned Dillon, weren't both essentially booted off the team because they consistently needed their ego's massaged and if they didn't they made waves in the locker room, esp over contracts and money? Do you really want to sign an injury prone player who can't play through a minor injury and will most likely complain about an incentive laden deal if he has 1 good year if you need to keep working his ego by doing things you normally wouldn't do for any other player including Brady?

If somehow BB gets a great deal (and when I say great I mean pretty much not guaranteed money and 5mil or less per year average) for Talib, great it worked. But, if this turns into another Moss, Dillon situation where a couple years down the line they need to boot him off the team for "influencing" the young CB's in the wrong way and he still misses or is ineffective for half a season because of injury was it really worth it? Don't forget Moss was called a leader too until he wasn't in town anymore. You never find out the truth about the guys that need constant massaging until they are out of town. Some are just as reported and some are the exact opposite.

[/QUOTE]

what is the alternative? Talib is the best you will find available in free agency, and while many here laud the trade for Talib (it was a great trade) and the drafting of Dennerd and Ryan (rightfully so), many more will point to the $$$ paid to Arrington and the drafting of Butler, Wheatley, Wilhite, Chung, Merri et al. In other words, if this defense is to be a top 10 defense next year, do you trust that it will be with out Talib?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GS1897. Show GS1897's posts

Talib has no value to me if he is too hurt, or unwilling, to play in the important games. Same is true for Gronkowski, actually. I'd rather have someone not quite as good than have the best player who is consistantly unavailable for big games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

I gurantee you one thing. He certainly doesn't care what the media thinks. Smart man.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what is the alternative? Talib is the best you will find available in free agency, and while many here laud the trade for Talib (it was a great trade) and the drafting of Dennerd and Ryan (rightfully so), many more will point to the $$$ paid to Arrington and the drafting of Butler, Wheatley, Wilhite, Chung, Merri et al. In other words, if this defense is to be a top 10 defense next year, do you trust that it will be with out Talib?

[/QUOTE]

I agree it was a great trade for what they gave up but I disagree he's the best in FA. Talent wise, yes by far away the best however, if he's only effective for half a year and disappears in the playoffs is he really the best?

Verner from Tenn might be too high priced but what about DRC? DRC, had a pretty good year and is a larger quicker CB. What we really need is someone to cover larger quicker WRs on the outside. That's Ryans and Dennards downfall. They don't have the ability to physical match up with the taller quicker WRs. Another name to look at is Grimes. Now he has had injury issues within the last 3 years too but on a whole has been more consistent than Talib and generally plays through minor injures without needing the ego massage. Not sure I'd be willing to commit to Talib long term if there are other options out there that are either same amount of red flags but more durable or same amount of durability but less red flags.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A typical pick play.......r u kidding me.  Can u recall a receiver going low putting his shoulder into the db in that manner....not me

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Heath Evans was on NFL Access - former Pat, former Saint

He knows how the Pat's practice , He said the hit was intentionally

hard. that WW was coached to never hit the guy then as that is PI, and WW was to do wasto just get in Talibs way to stop his progress - This hit was uncalled but they called a ticky tak one against the Pats

That WW is not afraid to hit bigger players as he did it all the time ( unlike what Bileic said) Evans said that this was a message hit. Did he mean to injure him - i dont know but he did. Up until that point the donkeys were not moving the ball  like they then did with out Talib in the game

To say that this was a simple rub play is not accurate

I hope Sherman takes WW's block off

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Belichick's comments had nothing to do with Welker (though I think he added in an extra kick for him) 

and everything to do with re-signing Talib. 

It had nothing to do with excuses for losing or sore losering as some idiots who don't understand the long game he was playing with Talib there think.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I don't recall Welker ever putting a hit like that on a DB all his time with the Patriots.

Maybe some of you do, if so, then I stand corrected.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to PapaJohn18's comment:
    [QUOTE]1ex·cuse   transitive verb  \ik-ˈskyüz,imperatively often ˈskyüz\

: to forgive someone for making a mistake, doing something wrong, etc.,

: to say that (someone) is not required to do something

: to allow (someone, such as a child) to leave

ex·cused ex·cus·ing   Full Definition of EXCUSE 1 a :  to make apology for   b :  to try to remove blame from 2 :  to forgive entirely or disregard as of trivial import :  regard as excusable <graciously excused his tardiness> 3 a :  to grant exemption or release to <was excused from jury duty>   b :  to allow to leave <excused the class> 4 :  to serve as excuse for :  justify <nothing can excuse such neglect> —  ex·cus·able   adjective —  ex·cus·able·ness  noun —  ex·cus·ably   adverb —  ex·cus·er  noun Examples of EXCUSE

1. His boss excused the mistake but told him to be more careful next time.
    2. Please excuse me for not calling sooner.
    3. I was excused from jury duty.
    4. The teacher excused the class from homework that day.
    5. Nothing can excuse that kind of rudeness.
    6. Her father's illness excused her absence.

Origin of EXCUSE Middle English, from Anglo-French  escuser,  excuser, from Latin  excusare, from  ex- +  causa cause, explanation First Known Use: 13th century Related to EXCUSE

Synonyms
    blink (at)brush (aside  or  off),  condonediscount, disregardforgivegloss (over)gloze (over)ignore, overlookoverpasspaper overpardonpass overremit, shrug offwhitewashwink (at)close one's eyes to, forgive and forget
    Related Words
    explainjustifyrationalizeabsolveacquitclear, exculpateexoneratevindicatewaivewave (aside  or off)
    Near Antonyms
    heedmarkmindnoteobject (to)

more Synonym Discussion of EXCUSE excusecondonepardonforgive mean to exact neither punishment nor redress.  excuse may refer to specific acts especially in social or conventional situations or the person responsible for these  <excuse an interruption>  <excusedthem for interrupting>. Often the term implies extenuating circumstances  <injustice excuses strong responses>. condone implies that one overlooks without censure behavior (as dishonesty or violence) that involves a serious breach of a moral, ethical, or legal code, and the term may refer to the behavior or to the agent responsible for it  <a society that condones alcohol but not narcotics>pardon implies that one remits a penalty due for an admitted or established offense  <pardon a criminal>forgive implies that one gives up all claim to requital and to resentment or vengeful feelings  <could not forgive their rudeness>. 2ex·cuse   noun  \ik-ˈskyüs\

: a reason that you give to explain a mistake, bad behavior, etc.

excuses : reasons that you give to explain politely why you cannot do something, why you have to leave, etc.

: something (such as a condition or set of conditions) that explains improper behavior and makes it acceptable

Full Definition of EXCUSE 1 :  the act of excusing 2 a :  something offered as justification or as grounds for beingexcused   b plural :  an expression of regret for failure to do something   c :  a note of explanation of an absence 3 :  justificationreason  See excuse defined for English-language learners » Examples of EXCUSE

1. What's your excuse for being so late?
    2. She had no valid excuse for not finishing her homework.
    3. He's always making excuses for himself.
    4. made my excuses and left.
    5. His birthday gives us a good excuse for a party.

First Known Use of EXCUSE 14th century Related to EXCUSE

Synonyms
    alibiapologydefensejustificationpleareason
    Related Words
    colorguisepretense ( or  pretence),  pretextrationale, rationalizationvindicationwhitewashcop-outout; acknowledgment ( or  acknowledgement),  atonement, confessionextenuationpalliation

more See Synonym Discussion at  apology Rhymes with EXCUSE AarhusabstruseabuseadduceAtreusblue spruce, burnoosecabooseCayuseCepheuscerusecharmeuse, chartreuseChartreusecondu... [+]more[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Also Welker was in an interview the week before the game on NFL network where they were interviewing all four of the donkies receivers and I thought it was strange that three of them were setting right next to each other and Welker was off to the side on the right. I bet there was three feet between him and the other three. Maybe this was Welker's way on earning the teams trust. I don't think they were too happy with his play in the first game.