J edleman first round draft pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

J edleman first round draft pick?

Compared to the recievers in last years draft(09), where does J Edleman value?
    He played more than most of last years drafted recievers on other teams.
    What do guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: J edleman first round draft pick?

I wouldn't QUITE put him at the 1st round level yet. But he has definately played like a 2nd rounder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

this is a hard question to answer after one season.  wes welker was an undrafted free agent who would obviously be a first round draft pick if NFL teams knew what they know now.  edelman hasnt proven himself as a first round talent, but if we were to redo the draft i would take him in the 2nd or 3rd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

sounds about right!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombdog. Show bombdog's posts

He is probaly a late second rounder but if keeps progressing the way he has he will be playing like first rounder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'd agree with the concensus here. he'd be a late second, early third. I read a quote from Belichick that referred to Edelman. I don't have the link, but BB had nothing but great things to say about him. Most people aren't expecting much from him, but I think over time he'll be able to produce as much as Welker. That would be first round talent. I'm a HUGE fan of Edelman's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I know we like to compare him to Welker, but Edelman while similar in quickness and toughness to Welker is also a lot bigger. Edelman's potential may better be suited to a style more similar to Torry Holt. Edelman in terms of size and athleticism closely matches that of Holt when he came into the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i agree with kyle... edelman draws the welker comparison because he is white haha. he plays a different game. he has more lateral quickness and as kyle pointed out he is bigger. edelman to holt is an interesting comparison...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Good question. Eddleman didn't get lots of PT until later in the season.

There were quite a few producive WR's last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The premises of this thread is silly. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In the week two loss to the Jets, while Moss was shut down and Welker was out, Edelman quietly had 8 receptions for 98 yards. He had three catches in week three, one in week four when Welker returned, three more in week five, and six catches in week six before he broke his arm.

Second or third rounder sounds right but definitely top ten in his rookie class.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: J edleman first round draft pick?:
    I know we like to compare him to Welker, but Edelman while similar in quickness and toughness to Welker is also a lot bigger. Edelman's potential may better be suited to a style more similar to Torry Holt. Edelman in terms of size and athleticism closely matches that of Holt when he came into the league.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

I like that comparison. Now that you mention it you might be right. Hopefully he develops into a WR similar to Holt. He exceeded all expectations last year, hopefully he can do it again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

I was thinking he might have more of an impact than michael crabtree, maybe..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Not sure about 1st rounder yet, but so far he has made the Dolphins look foolish for taking Pat Whit in the 2nd. It'll be interesting to see how his workload is upped with a year of acclimating to the NFL and the playbook. With Edelman's running and throwing background, they could get real creative. 
    Posted by heisthejuan

I'm glad they didn't try too much last year with him in regards to trick plays. As a rookie, it's probably better for his develop to let him be a receiver first. Now that he's in his second season and will likely get all the reps opposite Moss till Welker gets back, it makes mores sense to utilize him in different ways. I'm hoping for a real break out season from him. I'm hoping that he makes himself a ligit playmaker that teams need to gameplan against and be scared of. Without that arm injury, he could have been a 60 receptions type player. He stays healthy and he has a great opportunity this year to make it to that 60 receptions and perhaps even 80 or more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

I like the Holt comparsion. But Edelman may not be as fast as Holt once was. How many catches does he have this year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Edelman got injured a lot last year. Considering that he switched positions, his transition was pretty rare in the sense that most players wouldn't be able to change quickly enough. Give him kudos for his progress thus far.

However, he's not a number one. Would you want to build a WR corp around him?  He can't stretch the field - and will have a limited role as a slot receiver.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Taibbi. Show Taibbi's posts

Not sure about 1st rounder yet, but so far he has made the Dolphins look foolish for taking Pat Whit in the 2nd. It'll be interesting to see how his workload is upped with a year of acclimating to the NFL and the playbook. With Edelman's running and throwing background, they could get real creative. 
    Posted by heisthejuan

Edelman is probably right around the tenth-best receiver taken last year. You'd probably have to put Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Nicks, Mike Wallace, Mike Thomas, Louis Murphy, Austin Collie and Johnny Knox ahead of him. And maybe Sammie Stroughter. He might in time prove to be a better player than some of those guys. And as for the comp, no way he's like Torry Holt. Holt was a burner and a prototype outside receiver. Edelman really is pretty much a Welker clone. He's slightly bigger and maybe a little faster in a straight line, but the skill-set is really based around hands, RAC ability and toughness over the middle. What he lacks compared to Welker right now is that amazing ability to shake defenders -- his breaks aren't nearly as sharp. But he's still learning that and I think he might very well get there. He's already just as good as Welker after the catch, or close, anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Edelman had a nice rookie year and figures to have his role expanded with a year already in the system, and with Welker being out for a while.  I'd like to see him get some reps at the regular X or Z positions in training camp.  I don't want them to limit his duties to just a slot WR. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from iceman778. Show iceman778's posts

i would take him in the 3rd

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Ask this question next year. 

I'm sure that Edelman will return to training camp all bulked up, not the skinny (someone is posting Brady's NFL Combine picture) kid who didn't know how to play receiver.

Moreover, I heard rumors of Edelman actually making a second transition to Wildcat quarterback.  Brady was spreading those rumors just before the playoff game.  It's possible that BB and Brady were simply getting Baltimore to prepare for the Wildcat which was a myth.  If nothing else, Edelman played with passion in that game, and few others did.  But I'm going to listen to the rumor.

So, here's the next threat.  There's nothing better than Brady on first and ten, or on third and ten of course, but what about on second and two?  If it's only two yards Edelman can't be caught or stopped unless the defense uncovers Randy Moss deep, which with Julian may also be a defensive problem.  Julian couldn't even take a snap at NFL speeds last year, but he has a famous ability to learn absolutely everything the first time.  I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to suspect that the kid is bringing it in training camp, here he comes, and nobody is going to stop him.  At the very least he's going to show his arm on an end-around or two this year, just to drive defenses nuts, and he'll throw a cross-field lateral on a kickoff return too, but,

I've got him as a short yardage and Wildcat quarterback, the most improved player from first to second year. 

He really was a seventh rounder, he's a second rounder equivalent right now, but he's a first rounder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

he's def got talent! First round not sure, but we will see what he does this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would agree with most here...If the last year's draft occurred again knowing what we know today about Edelman, I think he would go in round 2 or 3...What would help his stock here is his comparison to Welker. I think some teams would even reach for him because most want a Welker type, and would project this guy in a similar role with similar production. Can anyone say Jacksonville with the 10th overall pick?..LOL.

The comparison's to Holt are not founded. Holt's best position this stage in his lengthy and productive career is the slot. Edelman plays the slot. But, if we compare Holt in year 2 to Edelman in year 2 (unknown yet), I don't think there is much comparison. Holt is faster, probably not as thick as Edelman, but he could stretch the field in his youth, something that Edelman at this stage does not look like he can do, or at least what the Pats have planned for him. 
    If Edelman ever reaches Holt's level of production, I would be stunned and amazed. No way, no how he puts up 1000 yard seasons 5-6 times consecutively in his career. Not unless Welker does not play again. 

The problem and a good problem to have is, we have multiple guys who can now plat the slot. Edelman, Holt, Welker when he returns. It will be interesting to see who starts day 1 in the slot..Edelman or Holt, or possibly we use both on 4 WR sets. 

I for one think Edelman will be more productive this year. THere are more WR threats for defenses to worry about, and defenses will not have the luxury to key in on both Moss and Edelman. Now they have to worry about Tate, Price, Holt, Gronk and Herby. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: J edleman first round draft pick? : Edelman is probably right around the tenth-best receiver taken last year. You'd probably have to put Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Nicks, Mike Wallace, Mike Thomas, Louis Murphy, Austin Collie and Johnny Knox ahead of him. And maybe Sammie Stroughter. He might in time prove to be a better player than some of those guys. And as for the comp, no way he's like Torry Holt. Holt was a burner and a prototype outside receiver. Edelman really is pretty much a Welker clone. He's slightly bigger and maybe a little faster in a straight line, but the skill-set is really based around hands, RAC ability and toughness over the middle. What he lacks compared to Welker right now is that amazing ability to shake defenders -- his breaks aren't nearly as sharp. But he's still learning that and I think he might very well get there. He's already just as good as Welker after the catch, or close, anyway.
    Posted by Taibbi

Nice thoughts. I agree with you, also he doesn't catch the ball well yet when he has to run a little further out. He probably will improve and add some polish, but his history of injuries worries me, because even in college he missed some time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Edleman- I do have to praise BB for recognizing this guy's talent. One of which was not used last season. He was a qb, how about an option pass play?? Whoever was calling the plays in 2009, Vanilla is an understatement!!!!