Jabar Gaffney to Return to Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Jabar Gaffney to Return to Patriots?

It's possible. The Redskins supposedly have been shopping him, and have found no takers. Due to salary cap problems, he may eventually be released: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-are-shopping-wr-jabar-gaffney/2012/04/18/gIQA5XAURT_blog.html 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Jabar Gaffney to Return to Patriots?

Where the heck would he fit?  It's already a crowded house at WR, plus I like the talent already there.  It's going to be crazy competition for the depth chart.

Use what it would cost to bring him in towards a RB or the D.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If they release him and he's willing to take a contract in which he knows it's a camp battle situation to make the roster, I'd love to have him back. On the same note though I want a young kid in the draft too, so even space is extremely limited right now. If they draft a kid there might only be 2-3 roster spots for vets not named Slater, Welker, or Lloyd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Gaffney is an interesting idea.  Successful in the system and probably still has something left.  I agree: if he gets cut, BB may very well snap him up.  Doubt he would trade for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

WR questions????? come on folks. We just got a guy who we can expect to catch 60-80 catches during the regular season plus another potential option at slot plus another speed merchant off the bench (who happens to be both tough and knows the O). That is an addition of three players but most important an addition of one very solid starter who could be spectacular with Brady.

Unless a player adds youth and/or speed or if there are injuries or someone just shows too much signs of aging I do not expect any veterans to join this group. Maybe a rookie.

Also, keep in mind there are only some many passes that will be thrown. With multiple TE sets I expect more runs this year. You also wont be taking catches away from the big TEs or Welker or Lloyd. That is four key people getting lots of passes.

Why is it that so many keep talking about WR when we traded for Lloyd??? I can understand using a second or 3rd or fourth round pick if there is someone that is a VERY good value then but I would not be surprised if they dont even pick one WR. Not predicting that with the older and oft injured players but not expecting it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Unless he's a power running back or a defensive secondary player we shouldn't be interested.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

I think Ocho is going to surprise everyone - I think he is going to have a good year. WHy else is he still with the team?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Jabar Gaffney to Return to Patriots?:
    [QUOTE]he would be an upgrade over branch, ocho, edelman, underwood, gonzalez, slater.... the only thing is, NE doesn't have a pick later than round 4, and BB will NOT give a 4th for him. i think BB plays it patient and waits for the skins to cut him loose. a top 3 of welker, lloyd, and gaffney would make for a very solid starting group that is familiar with the system and TB.
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

The Pats won't have to trade for him. He likely will be rreleased.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]WR questions????? come on folks. We just got a guy who we can expect to catch 60-80 catches during the regular season plus another potential option at slot plus another speed merchant off the bench (who happens to be both tough and knows the O). That is an addition of three players but most important an addition of one very solid starter who could be spectacular with Brady. Unless a player adds youth and/or speed or if there are injuries or someone just shows too much signs of aging I do not expect any veterans to join this group. Maybe a rookie. Also, keep in mind there are only some many passes that will be thrown. With multiple TE sets I expect more runs this year. You also wont be taking catches away from the big TEs or Welker or Lloyd. That is four key people getting lots of passes. Why is it that so many keep talking about WR when we traded for Lloyd??? I can understand using a second or 3rd or fourth round pick if there is someone that is a VERY good value then but I would not be surprised if they dont even pick one WR. Not predicting that with the older and oft injured players but not expecting it.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

An upgrade at any position is always welcome. Gaffney is likely better than Branch, Ocho, and Edleman.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BB is always looking to improve the team in a value-oriented way.  If Gaffney could be had on the relatively cheap, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in camp.

No reason, IMO, you can't bring in another WR so long as the numbers work all around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skorpion76. Show skorpion76's posts

[QUOTE]WR questions????? come on folks. We just got a guy who we can expect to catch 60-80 catches during the regular season plus another potential option at slot plus another speed merchant off the bench (who happens to be both tough and knows the O). That is an addition of three players but most important an addition of one very solid starter who could be spectacular with Brady. Unless a player adds youth and/or speed or if there are injuries or someone just shows too much signs of aging I do not expect any veterans to join this group. Maybe a rookie. Also, keep in mind there are only some many passes that will be thrown. With multiple TE sets I expect more runs this year. You also wont be taking catches away from the big TEs or Welker or Lloyd. That is four key people getting lots of passes. Why is it that so many keep talking about WR when we traded for Lloyd??? I can understand using a second or 3rd or fourth round pick if there is someone that is a VERY good value then but I would not be surprised if they dont even pick one WR. Not predicting that with the older and oft injured players but not expecting it.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

They didnt trade for Lloyd he was a free agent, and after him and Welker there are a lot of question marks at wideout.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I like Gaffney but, we need speed outside the numbers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I like Gaffney but, we need speed outside the numbers.
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

At first glance (just based off his time here), I'd agree with you, but it looks like he's had some decent years away from here playing all over the field. Gaffney's ypc over the last 2 years is around 13...not bad - certainly more than you'd expect from a slower slot type. Belichick is on record as saying he's a receiver that can play all the receiver spots and Brady is on record as saying he's got good speed and long arms. 

Maybe the guy would be able to help? I still wouldn't trade for him - but before anyone goes around thinking our wide receiver position is all set...consider this....Branch is toast, Welker may not be here, Ocho is a year older and bombed last year, Edelman is a special team's guy for a reason...so is Slater, Llyod has 3 good seasons in his 9 year career (never mind the fact that some have whispered that he is bi-polar) and Gonzalez is a stiff wind away from tearing something. The position could be decimated three weeks into the season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Remember we are 31st in the pecking order so other teams can claim him first. If he clears waivers he is then free to sign with anyone. Other teams may be waiting in the wings too. We need young guys at receiver that can run fast and make defenses pay attention to them. To many of the "possesion" guys means that the defense still can crowd 15 yards in and not respect the deep receiver. I would take him over many of the possesion guys on our team especially think branch is probably done so he would fit there nicely, but we need defense first and foremost right now. Let's not get too hopeful on this one.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i would love to have him back! he always found a way to get open and was very reliable. i was sad to see him go on what little was offered by the broncos.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I always loved his ability to play in every WR slot. Great guy to have around in case of an injury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Gaffney did very well against us last year with Grossman as his QB. IMO it's time for branch and edelman to take a hike. gaffney may not be fast, but he is as fast as those two only with better size .
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

Edelman plays 4 positions.  QB, WR, Db and ST.  BB loves those guys and I doubt he's going anywhere.  Prob play RB and safety next year too.
    So why don't you like him?
    His name is not Jewlian!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

rather draft a young kid out of college.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I agree, Gaffney should only be brought in if they fail to get the guy they want in the draft. I think it would then unfold(assuming no injuries) like this:

1. Welker
    2. Lloyd
    3. Gaffney/Draft Pick
    4. Branch
    5. Ochocinco
    6. Edelman
    7. Slater
    8. Stallworth
    9. Gonzalez

So how many do they keep? I doubt more then 6. Slater sticks, he is way too valuable on the coverage teams. Edelman contributes very little on offense but is very versatile, I have a hard time imagining them cutting him. We'll see how Branch looks. He was superb at times last year(Chargers game) but also vanished at times and is getting older with a history of knee injuries. They restructured Ocho because they obviously want him to pan out, he will get every chance to prove himself.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Well, that's the thing.  The Pats always have a ton of injuries and he can fill in on several emergency situations.
    The Pats D actually went from 32 to 31 when he started playing.
    It also helped that Moore caught fire.
    Julian actually saves the Pats money and roster spots with his versatility.
    Not a starter but an adequate back up on all sides of the ball.
    Filled in very nicely when Wes went down.
    Maybe McD will conjure up a little trickery for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I think Ocho is going to surprise everyone - I think he is going to have a good year. WHy else is he still with the team?
    Posted by NYPat[/QUOTE]

because bb would have been embarrassed if he cut him last year.
    maybe he's on page this year. im not counting on it.
    give me hill or jeffery or fleener in the draft (undefendable big outside wr) or a gronk b putting hern as hback and wr.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jabar Gaffney to Return to Patriots? : because bb would have been embarrassed if he cut him last year. maybe he's on page this year. im not counting on it. give me hill or jeffery or fleener in the draft (undefendable big outside wr) or a gronk b putting hern as hback and wr.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

BB doesn't get embarrassed and they need to quit using Hern so much as a receiver unless they want to pay him starting receiver money.
    There's no way they will be able to afford him if they do.