Jacksonville Looking to Trade Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Jacksonville Looking to Trade Down

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/16/jaguars-make-it-known-they-want-to-trade-down/

I'm not a draft purist but I think we may have some flexibility in landing the very first-rounder we're looking for with someone like Jacksonville anxious to get out of that spot. No question we need a game-changer with this pick given what's been going in on our division the past few weeks.

What are some scenarios that could play out? What do we send to them and who would we move up to #10 to grab?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Re: Jacksonville Looking to Trade Down

makes perfect sense for jacksonville to trade out of that spot

and have you noticed all the latest mocks??? some are saying they would select CJ Spiller which makes zero sense seeing they werent a playoff team last year. I think they are a good candidate for the Pats to speak with if they decide to move up in the draft. . . We could use a game changer and the Jags need depth badly after the Texans surpassed them in their division

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

You would think the 22nd pick and a mid second. But for someone like Haden, Spiller, Morgan or maybe Dez would you offer a second and sixth this year as well as Oaklands first next year for their pick. It seems like Oaklands pick next year should be off limits but if you can use it to move up for an IMPACT PLAYER this year and still keep pick 22 than it could make sense. Lets say we pick up Haden at 10 and either Hughes, Graham or Kindle at 22 our D will look pretty damn good.
    Plus with 2 seconds we could still add Sapp and an ol.

I know it is just us killing time but some of this seems logical.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I've been saying Jax would be looking to trade down for some time now. I think giving them a 1st this year and a 1st next year will do it. It lets them move back to Tebow range which gives their fans something to get excited about for cheap cost and we can grab JPP the pure 3 down pass rusher we've been craving for awhile. It just makes to much sense to me which is why BB won't do it lol. If we can get #10 with only our #22 and our 1st next season I'd do it in a heartbeat. Imagine a draft of JPP, Williams (or Thomas or Benn if you perfer them), Houston or Carrington, and Veldheer. Drool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I'd like Bryant, get him before Denver does, but honestly have no idea what it would take to move that high up

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Jacksonville Looking to Trade Down:
    I've been saying Jax would be looking to trade down for some time now. I think giving them a 1st this year and a 1st next year will do it. It lets them move back to Tebow range which gives their fans something to get excited about for cheap cost and we can grab JPP the pure 3 down pass rusher we've been craving for awhile....
    Posted by PatsEng

Why not just stay where they are and grab Dunlap if that's the type of athlete they're looking for?  He's the same as Pierre-Paul, except bigger and more experienced, although not sure if he can do backflips. 

I don't see them trading up, but especially not for a potential guy like Pierre-Paul, and I definitely do not see BB dealing next year's #1 for anything.  That's not the way he operates. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

I don't see BB dealing any #1 next year. Isn't there supposed to be, or possibly be, new salary cap installed? This would give the Pats the flexibility to afford two 1st rounders, versus this year, for example. I don't quite understand what's going to happen next year, but BB is a penny-pincher. However, I do see him dealing the #1 on a player trade and a 3rd or 4th rounder.

The stress of this freakin' draft!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

You get C.J. Spiller at #10. Period. He'd be the best player available at that spot and you grab him. No question about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

I've been saying Jax would be looking to trade down for some time now. I think giving them a 1st this year and a 1st next year will do it. It lets them move back to Tebow range which gives their fans something to get excited about for cheap cost and we can grab JPP the pure 3 down pass rusher we've been craving for awhile. It just makes to much sense to me which is why BB won't do it lol. If we can get #10 with only our #22 and our 1st next season I'd do it in a heartbeat. Imagine a draft of JPP, Williams (or Thomas or Benn if you perfer them), Houston or Carrington, and Veldheer. Drool
    Posted by PatsEng

You want to give Jax this year's #1 AND next year's #1 just to move up from 22 to 10?  YOU MY FRIEND ARE A MORON!  I'm no draftnik but this is just about the dumbest thing on this post today!  

By the way...Have you seen JPP play?  He has a ton of potential, but NO nfl scout would rule out the strong chance that this kid will be a bust!  He IS the very definition of HIGH RISK/HIGH REWARD.  You Want to give up a couple of 1s t rounders for THAT?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The thing you have to take into account when you talk about moving a 2011 1st rounder is the Patriots (if things go well this year with this deep draft will not have a lot of open spots to fill on a roster and you have to take into account our pick should be close to the end of the first round in 2011, no better then where we sit this year. And with next years draft looking pretty weak (some analyists are saying as few as 12 players with first round grades) I could see the Patriots moving their own #1 next year for a #1 this year. To do that you will have to add a second round likely #44 but remember if you did it that way you would still have your pick at #22 that you can pick with or trade to get a second third and 5th for example.
    Wow this draft is going to be interesting. There is really so many ways they could go that all have their benefits and few detractions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Difficult to see this happening. Spiller, JPP, Morgan if available. Funny everyone complains about our lack of pass rush, then begins to salivate when the prospect of having Spiller line up behind Brady is put forth. What has Chris Johnson's team won lately ?Yeah he wins rushing title and his team fails to make the playoffs. At no point do I trade the Raiders pick unless it nets me Suh. You could easily draft a player that is better than Spiller (eg: Ingram) or an impact player on D with that pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Difficult to see this happening. Spiller, JPP, Morgan if available. Funny everyone complains about our lack of pass rush, then begins to salivate when the prospect of having Spiller line up behind Brady is put forth. What has Chris Johnson's team won lately ?Yeah he wins rushing title and his team fails to make the playoffs. At no point do I trade the Raiders pick unless it nets me Suh. You could easily draft a player that is better than Spiller (eg: Ingram) or an impact player on D with that pick.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Guilty here. The past few days, I've really read up on Spiller and that was the scenario I saw if the Patriots moved up to #10. In reality, I think we do need to grab a good defensive end/linebacker so unless the guy we specifically want is available #10, I don't see the Patriots trading up. I think that's also because the draft is so deep with defensive ends.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by PatsEng

Good move in theory but I think two firsts is giving up too much to move up 12 spots. Something like our #22 and  third next year would make more sense to me.

The question is, who do they love so much to make such a deal? Either JPP, Bryant or Graham would be a big reach at #10.

Derrick Morgan is the only DE rated a top-10 prospect. Could he be the guy?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

It is simple,

Trade our 22 and next years 32 to the Jaguars for their number 10 and a 3rd next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Jacksonville Looking to Trade Down : You want to give Jax this year's #1 AND next year's #1 just to move up from 22 to 10?  YOU MY FRIEND ARE A MORON!  I'm no draftnik but this is just about the dumbest thing on this post today!   By the way...Have you seen JPP play?  He has a ton of potential, but NO nfl scout would rule out the strong chance that this kid will be a bust!  He IS the very definition of HIGH RISK/HIGH REWARD.  You Want to give up a couple of 1s t rounders for THAT?
    Posted by mar10fern

Sigh you really don't know anything about the draft do you? Moving up 12 spots in the 1st round isn't cheap. It isn't like moving up 12 spots in say the 5th. Yes it would take at minimum a 1st and a 2nd and that's only if Jax wants to move out of the spot otherwise it would cost even more. Since this year is extremely deep and 1st round talent goes well into the 2nd round I wouldn't want to give up a 2nd this year if possible. However, most consider a 1st next year similiar to a 2nd this year (though with the dispairity in talent this might not hold true). Next years draft is very weak with most having at best only the top 15 getting 1st round grades. Now I'm hoping the Pats make the playoffs and if they do this places their pick well outside the 1st grade mark next year. BTW even if there is a rookie salary cap it will only greatly affect the top 10-15 since those are the only huge contracts coming out of the draft (ie look at Mankins, Merriweathers, and Maroneys contracts to get an idea of what we generally pay. Not a huge amount).

I have seen JPP play, he has the size and speed to run RB's down while still has the ability to play in coverage. He also has multiple moves and uses his arms well to get to the QB. He is a 3 down OLB with the size BB loves, though I agree Morgan might also be a fit you would still need to get into the top 15 to grab him too.

And to the guy that said the 1st this year and a 3rd next year to move up 12 spots, seriously lay the crack pipe down

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think there are a ton of ways to get Jacksonville's 10 if we want it. Could be a combo of picks and players. The question is, "Does BB want it?" he would absolutely have to be sold on someone to move up that high given the salary considerations. 

The one thing I would NOT do is use our 22nd to do it. As some suggest here, it makes more sense to use OUR 1st from next year plus our 44th pick from this year and a 6th to do it. Our pick next year is most likely in the 20's or hopefully even at 32. Given the lack of depth low in the 1st next year, it makes perfect sense to use our 1st next to move up in this deep draft, or at the least convert it to a 2nd rounder this year. I would only move up if we were seriously considering Spiller, McClain or Williams. I don't go that high for JPP, Morgan or Haden. 

The thing is, even if we did do it, I have a weird feeling BB would flip 10 for a lower round 1st and a 2nd this year. Imagine, we could potentially have 2 1st's this year and 3 seconds. 

The possibilities are endless guys. I feel good going into this draft with the master draft manipulator at the helm. The only thing I don't like is the draft format, broken down into 3 days. I think in the past BB used the format to pounce, where teams got itchy trigger fingers and acted on emotion. With a day seperating 1st and 2nd round, teams be think more...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

Hey Pats, speaking on laying the pipe down, perhaps you should consider your own advice, and no matter what you think of my suggestion, at least I can read.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Pats, speaking on laying the pipe down, perhaps you should consider your own advice, and no matter what you think of my suggestion, at least I can read.
    Posted by Geographer91

LOL fair enough I read quickly and didn't see it was Jax 3rd next year. My bad man I appologize for that. Long morning

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The recurring theme in this thread is "Who is the guy you simply have to have at #10?"

In my mind there is no such guy. I like where the Pats are and I like the flexibility they have with multiple second-round picks -- particularly valuable in THIS draft. All the knotheads scurrying about crying that the sky is falling because the Pats are waiting for the auction to begin before making any bids seem to be undervaluing the depth of this draft and that flexibility the Pats' brain trust has created through its usual shrewd maneuvering.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

what does that mean? Did I slight your suggestion?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB doesn't ever trade up that far.  Never.  He trades down or into next year again and again and again.  He's smart.  I can name some NFL clubs that I think are stupid, but first lets see what happens next week.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

The recurring theme in this thread is "Who is the guy you simply have to have at #10?" In my mind there is no such guy. I like where the Pats are and I like the flexibility they have with multiple second-round picks -- particularly valuable in THIS draft. All the knotheads scurrying about crying that the sky is falling because the Pats are waiting for the auction to begin before making any bids seem to be undervaluing the depth of this draft and that flexibility the Pats' brain trust has created through its usual shrewd maneuvering.
    Posted by p-mike

Good logical post. This draft is extremely deep. Some players projected as #3 picks would be low #1's in previous drafts. The Pats basically have 4 #1 picks. They have the hammer, let other teams come to us. I also don't see who the magic must have player is at #10 that we have to have. The constant we've done nothing is getting old.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

This is what i would do...Trade OUR #1 next year and this years #1 to get to Jax spot DRAFT R. McClain....Then package #43 2nd rounder this yr nd 2nd rounder next year and DRAFT Kindle/Graham.....and we still have 2 2nd round picks....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jacksonville Looking to Trade Down : LOL fair enough I read quickly and didn't see it was Jax 3rd next year. My bad man I appologize for that. Long morning
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Not a problem PatsEng, and well said.  I was being tongue in check anyway. I laugh at some of the suggestions made on these boards.  I doubt anyone would make a trade so biased in our favour.  I also predicted a Superbowl win for us.

and lastly, the Powerball for this weekend will be 7, 14,21, 28, 30 and 24