Jake Ballard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Jake Ballard

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Are you insane or is this sarcasm?

Ballard is a very good dual purpose TE. Good blocker, good pass receiver. Think Daniel Graham but a guy who won't have alligator arms. 

I am thinking Daniel Graham, below average. Watch ALL of Ballards prior games not just the ones against NE. He will have as much of an impact as Fells did this year.

[/QUOTE]

i think he will have more of an impact than fells if he is actually used...but yea people may be overrating the guy based off of his performances against the patriots. but i do think he can help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

While his age and game role is different, just hope he will not be like Visanthe Shiancoe, who, after all the waiting and anticipation, turned out to be a big bust.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Wellwe our offense at this point relies inpart on Ballard having an Impact. My expectation is he does, but it's not as great as some anticipate. In his career, albeit a short one, he has like 38. receptions for 600 yards And 4 td's. not stellar, but the average yards per catch are very good at 15+. That is good for a TE. the lack of catches may be an Indication of how ny used him, and the fact that Eli had 3 very competent receivers that were probably targeted before Ballard in Cruz, nicks and manningHam. Time will tell what bb has in store for him, and if he can build a repoir with brady.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ballard is everything you want in your prototype "blocking" tightend, he is near 300 pounds which means what he does makes him athletic for his size but more importantly, besides being a road paver in the run game, he has extremely soft hands; big, tall with soft hands is very handy around the goal line.

For those feeling the need to knock Huey to make a point, you're wrong if you say he's not that good.  The reality is he's not a tight end, he's a fullback, and as a fullback he is great.  Some years back BB removed the designation of "fullback" from the roster, in my estimation to make his roster more ambiguous to opposing teams, but he didn't forget to fill that roster spot, instead he filled it with fullback/HBack type bodies and called them tightends.  A player comparable would be Giant's fullback Henry Hynoski.

Watching last year Huey was the best player we had at fullback and, pound for pound, maybe the best blocker on the team.  Obviously blocking doesn't appear in the stat sheets or garner you points on your fantasy team, but in the real world it does wonders.  Our running game was substantially improved by the run blocking of Fells, Hernandez and all the players who played fullback in the pro style formations but Huey was hands down the best which is why he settled in nicely there by season's end and why BB resigned him.

With Gronk, Ballard and Fells (if he sticks) we have the best tight end depth in the NFL, with Hernandez and Huey, our team is substantially tougher on offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I see Ballard being a nice contributor in that third TE spot.  He doesn't have to be the best TE in the league.  We've already got that with Gronk.  All he needs to be is a guy you can use when you want a more powerful two or three TE set.  He needs to be a good blocker who can catch a few passes.  I think he is that.  I see him taking over Hoomanawanui's role, with Hoomanawanui becoming more of a depth guy at a postion the Pats rely on heavily and where they've had injuries in the past.  I guess Fells is still in the mix too, but I think in the end 4 TEs is all we need. I'd rather save some space for a few more WRs than we carried last year.  I also won't be surprised if we carry an extra RB next year if both Washington and Demps make the roster.  Besides Boldin, Ridley, and Vereen, we've got Washington, Demps, and Fiammetta to consider, all three of whom could conceivably have a role. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Ballard is everything you want in your prototype "blocking" tightend, he is near 300 pounds which means what he does makes him athletic for his size but more importantly, besides being a road paver in the run game, he has extremely soft hands; big, tall with soft hands is very handy around the goal line.

For those feeling the need to knock Huey to make a point, you're wrong if you say he's not that good.  The reality is he's not a tight end, he's a fullback, and as a fullback he is great.  Some years back BB removed the designation of "fullback" from the roster, in my estimation to make his roster more ambiguous to opposing teams, but he didn't forget to fill that roster spot, instead he filled it with fullback/HBack type bodies and called them tightends.  A player comparable would be Giant's fullback Henry Hynoski.

Watching last year Huey was the best player we had at fullback and, pound for pound, maybe the best blocker on the team.  Obviously blocking doesn't appear in the stat sheets or garner you points on your fantasy team, but in the real world it does wonders.  Our running game was substantially improved by the run blocking of Fells, Hernandez and all the players who played fullback in the pro style formations but Huey was hands down the best which is why he settled in nicely there by season's end and why BB resigned him.

With Gronk, Ballard and Fells (if he sticks) we have the best tight end depth in the NFL, with Hernandez and Huey, our team is substantially tougher on offense.

Means nothing if we dont ever employ him at Fb though. He was used as a TE in the playoffs and the majority of people here seem to agree he was a non factor in the blocking game and part of the problem. Dont know how u figure he is our best blocker...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I wasnt knocking Hooma, I just thought his tender was very high for his production and his worth. I also queston the "best blocker" comment. I do recall him being blown up on the punt team blocking unit a couple of times, to the point of him being replaced

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

Jake Ballard is a hell of alot better than people give him credit for. The Giants were FURIOUS because losing Ballard was to them like us losing a major key player like Hernandez. With Ballard on board, I can garentee you that Hernandez now plays the majority of his snaps at WR with Gronk and Ballard lining up as TE's, leaving Amendola in the slot and Donald Jones as the burner #1 WR.

I bet BB actually set this years FA plan(And his long term plan/goals) in motion last year. THe team is LOADED right now actually on the offensive side of the ball.

The Patriots made alot of smart under the radar/sublte moves that actually strengthens them short and long term, because they not only have more talent, but overall have gotten alot younger in the process. This has the potential to be the most explosive offensive unit since 07' in most ways.

This year we actually don't need a ton of picks........not any major holes to fill(Especially if Vollmer is signed back)on the depth chart. I bet the top 3 picks hit on a 2 CB's and possibly a WR, with the 2 7th round picks on O lineman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Means nothing if we dont ever employ him at Fb though. He was used as a TE in the playoffs and the majority of people here seem to agree he was a non factor in the blocking game and part of the problem. Dont know how u figure he is our best blocker...

We played him at FB heavily in the latter part of last season, if he played tightend in the playoffs or we had issues blocking, it speaks more to the absence of Gronk.  Whatever his title there is no guarantee from me that he won't line up at tightend or even split wide, being flexible is a trait BB looks for at every position but in a perfect world all our tightends would be healthy so we could keep Huey at FB where he is a devastating blocker out of the backfield.  I'm not really concerned how some posters here view Huey, many posters here don't notice or watch the offensive line or blocking at all, they're focused on the skill positions and fantasy stats.

Ballard will be the #2 tight end behind Gronk, Huey will be our 1-A fullback; Hernandez is in a position of his own, will line up everywhere and be on the field on almost every play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jake Ballard is a hell of alot better than people give him credit for. The Giants were FURIOUS because losing Ballard was to them like us losing a major key player like Hernandez. With Ballard on board, I can garentee you that Hernandez now plays the majority of his snaps at WR with Gronk and Ballard lining up as TE's, leaving Amendola in the slot and Donald Jones as the burner #1 WR.

I bet BB actually set this years FA plan(And his long term plan/goals) in motion last year. THe team is LOADED right now actually on the offensive side of the ball.

The Patriots made alot of smart under the radar/sublte moves that actually strengthens them short and long term, because they not only have more talent, but overall have gotten alot younger in the process. This has the potential to be the most explosive offensive unit since 07' in most ways.

This year we actually don't need a ton of picks........not any major holes to fill(Especially if Vollmer is signed back)on the depth chart. I bet the top 3 picks hit on a 2 CB's and possibly a WR, with the 2 7th round picks on O lineman.

[/Q

i agree with some if this, but not the fact that jones is or should be a #1. He is clearly not, but I do see him potentially an upgrade over branch given his youth. We haven't really addressed the Lloyd replacement. Amendola I think is a quasi Lloyd, Edelman, welker type skill set, who we can line up everywhere. However, I still think we need another wideout to play outwide or as a flanker to make this offense really go. Just my i opinion. 

the offense has the potential to be a lot more versatile, but I still think we are 1 more piece away. Hopefully bb does something about that in FA or via the draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I wasnt knocking Hooma, I just thought his tender was very high for his production and his worth. I also queston the "best blocker" comment. I do recall him being blown up on the punt team blocking unit a couple of times, to the point of him being replaced

Yes, a bit high for sure, but that might reflect how he folds into the 2013 version of the offense vs last years version. He might see an increased role.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I could also see fells cut if bb is seeking more flexibility and needs the cash. He would save us roughly 1m against the cap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/Q

i agree with some if this, but not the fact that jones is or should be a #1. He is clearly not, but I do see him potentially an upgrade over branch given his youth. We haven't really addressed the Lloyd replacement. Amendola I think is a quasi Lloyd, Edelman, welker type skill set, who we can line up everywhere. However, I still think we need another wideout to play outwide or as a flanker to make this offense really go. Just my i opinion. 

the offense has the potential to be a lot more versatile, but I still think we are 1 more piece away. Hopefully bb does something about that in FA or via the draft.

I think they pick that last WR spot on draft day if they don't get the Steeler's reserve if you read last post of mine. I also agree that they need an impact WR. I think Jones will be battling that spot with either another FA or a draft pick. But thats all they really need now.

Lloyd sucked, glad he is gone, half of those 900 yards he go were garbage yards.