Jamie Collins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Jamie Collins

I'm really starting to wonder.

At draft time I wanted Alec Ogletree.  Naturally Ogletree was gone 1 pick after BB traded down.

Collins is playing ST and in some sub-packages, mostly dime.

Last night's game screamed for an athletic guy on the edge.  Put him on the same side as Chandler Jones and you might actually be able to get pressure on the QB from that side.  Also, there is less likelihood that Newton runs around him like a pylon.

But Collins sits and Hightower plays.  When the Pats were healthy on defense we heard the excuse that Collins wasn't playing because it was a tough lineup to crack.   Now with the team decimated by injuries and unable to get any D-Line pressure on the QB, the pressure has to come from somewhere.

I'm not calling Collins a bust.   However, he's either really dense, shows nothing in practice, or ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Jamie Collins

And Buchanan sat as well....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I'm really starting to wonder.

At draft time I wanted Alec Ogletree.  Naturally Ogletree was gone 1 pick after BB traded down.

Collins is playing ST and in some sub-packages, mostly dime.

Last night's game screamed for an athletic guy on the edge.  Put him on the same side as Chandler Jones and you might actually be able to get pressure on the QB from that side.  Also, there is less likelihood that Newton runs around him like a pylon.

But Collins sits and Hightower plays.  When the Pats were healthy on defense we heard the excuse that Collins wasn't playing because it was a tough lineup to crack.   Now with the team decimated by injuries and unable to get any D-Line pressure on the QB, the pressure has to come from somewhere.

I'm not calling Collins a bust.   However, he's either really dense, shows nothing in practice, or ...

Did you see Ogletree play in college?  He is literally the most undisciplined LB I have ever seen.  Sure he can make a play here or there, but BB would HATE him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think we have heard that both rookies are deficient in setting and holding the edge, not a good thing when facing Newton. But last night saw Carter poorly hold the edge resulting in Newton getting first down yardage a few times

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Alonso was the right LB to pick

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you see Ogletree play in college?  He is literally the most undisciplined LB I have ever seen.  Sure he can make a play here or there, but BB would HATE him.

[/QUOTE]

I saw him in SEC games.  The same case could be made for Clowney.  Takes plays off.  However, back to the main topic.  I'd like to see Collins playing some LB in a game like last night where the D-Line provides no pocket pressure and Hightower/Fletcher likewise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Collins is nearing tavon Wilson territory. Not going,to crack the lineup and a perennial St player. I am not ready to cast,him a bust yet, but with all the injuries this kid should see more playing time if he,is,progressing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Meh. Probably another bad BB draft pick. Nothing new whatsoever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we have heard that both rookies are deficient in setting and holding the edge, not a good thing when facing Newton. But last night saw Carter poorly hold the edge resulting in Newton getting first down yardage a few times

[/QUOTE]

I really coudn't understand Carter in a game like last night at all.   When they picked him up I theorized that he might be gone after the BYE week.  Now I can't imagine a reason to keep him at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Collins is nearing tavon Wilson territory. Not going,to crack the lineup and a perennial St player. I am not ready to cast,him a bust yet, but with all the injuries this kid should see more playing time if he,is,progressing. 

[/QUOTE]

Tavon Wilson had a decent rookie year and is solid on ST maybe not second round worthy but still a decent addition.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

So Collins, a rookie, seeing sporadic playing time in a position with experienced depth is a bust?  Have I got that right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So Collins, a rookie, seeing sporadic playing time in a position with experienced depth is a bust?  Have I got that right?

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, it isn't like we have a bunch of all-pro LBs, especially with Mayo out, but still the 2nd round pick can't get many snaps. I wouldn't pronounce him a bust, but he sure as hell isn't setting anything on fire.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, it isn't like we have a bunch of all-pro LBs, especially with Mayo out, but still the 2nd round pick can't get many snaps. I wouldn't pronounce him a bust, but he sure as hell isn't setting anything on fire.

[/QUOTE]

Or if he has, he hasn't been caught yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I went out of my way to say I wasn't calling Collins a bust.  However, DH is a 2nd year guy.  Fletcher is a sporadic sub who missed all last season.  Spikes had to be moved into Mayo's role.   Where is this "experienced depth" on the outside?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Catfish, you did go out of your way to avoid calling Collins a bust and you're correct that outside they are not deep - now.  I was referring more to the LB position in general and probably should not have gone as far as I did.  

Perhaps we should have seen more of Collins last night, perhaps not.  Not sure what the defensive game plan or scheme was.   No question the guy was touted for his athleticism.  Perhaps it is, as rkarp says, that he is still learning to hold the edge.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Baltimore cut Huff and Spears a couple of weeks ago. Injured at the time. Huff, a safety, signed with Denver. If Spears is healthy I would still take a look at him. We need edge strength and if it ain't Buchanan then we need someone else.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Look on the bright side! While Collins is on the bench we don't have to watch him suck as bad as Hightower. I think this approach is brilliant!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

once Andre Carter signed we all knew Buchanan was never touching the field

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really? Did I miss Carter doing something last night?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no but BB plays him over Buchanan......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Carter doesn't have it anymore. I'm tired of hearing " he knows the system." Let the rooks play, play & LEARN.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no but BB plays him over Buchanan......

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

what about Beqquete?   He is another bust.  

It is hard to comprehend how bad the Pats have been drafting on defense.

Hightower and Spikes will be gone after their contracts expire.

The team still cannot generate a consistent pass rush. 

It's been almost 10 years since the Pats last drafted a pro-bowl CB (Asante Samuel) Same thing with the Safety position.  

............the fact that the defense has played so much better with Talib shows clearly that the Pats have been desperately missing a shut-down corner for a LONG LONG time. 

BB should give Pete Carrol a call and ask for some advice on drafting cornerbacks.  It has become awfully clear that the Pats dont have a damn clue what they are doing when it comes to that position. Carrol comes in and drafts 2 all-pro CBs in 5th round. How many draft picks have the Pats wasted on CB's?  Scary even trying to count.