Janoris Jenkins, worth 1st rnd in supplemental draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Janoris Jenkins, worth 1st rnd in supplemental draft?

I know they just drafted a CB in the 1st last season and 2nd this season.

Jenkins is a special CB, he's shut down both Julio Jones and A.J. Green.  He has had some off field but nothing that still makes me feel we should stay away.

Getting Jenkins gives BB 4 quality starting CBs who he can do just about anything with.  5'11" 184 lbs, can play inside or outside, play press or zone.  He would had been, if he had another year like he's had, a top 15 pick maybe even break in the top 10.  He's a shut down type ability guy.  With a strong locker room and his buds from Florida already in the system Jenkins IMO would not be a problem.

I say offer a 1st in the supplemental draft, get a top 15 pick with what would certainly be a late 20s (maybe 32).  Can you say cover sacks? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Janoris Jenkins, worth 1st rnd in supplemental draft?

Based on talent, he was one of my favorite players in this draft before deciding to return to school.  He's since been dismissed from the program for his 2nd drug related arrest in 3 months (misdemeanor possession of some herb) so character is a question and BB generally doesn't touch kids with character red flags in Rd 1 (Meriweather being the exception?).  BB would need to get some insider info from his boy Urban. 

I also would assume a team like Detroit (who would select before NE I believe) would love to take the chance on this kid having passed on a CB high in Rd 1 this year, though attempting to trade up for PP.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

they would never go that high. if they like him then maybe as high as a 4rd - if they loved him a 3rd - but doubt a 1 or 2nd

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Janoris Jenkins, worth 1st rnd in supplemental draft?:
    [QUOTE]they would never go that high. if they like him then maybe as high as a 4rd - if they loved him a 3rd - but doubt a 1 or 2nd
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

Top 15 talent before returning to school this year but in the end, I think it's a moot point as some team will likely snag him before he gets to NE in Rd 1.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Janoris Jenkins, worth 1st rnd in supplemental draft? : Top 15 talent before returning to school this year but in the end, I think it's a moot point as some team will likely snag him before he gets to NE in Rd 1.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Is the supplemental draft based on 2011 draft order?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Janoris Jenkins, worth 1st rnd in supplemental draft? : Is the supplemental draft based on 2011 draft order?
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Here's what I found:

• Teams with six wins or less participate in the first lottery for the top supplemental draft picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased on down the line until reaching the team with the best record in the group.
    • The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.
    • The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.

After the order is determined, each team submits to the league the name of the player(s) they are interested in, as well as the round of the supplemental draft they would like to choose them in. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded rights to the player. If more than one team bids a pick from the same round, the team with the highest pick in the round wins out.

If a team uses a pick in the Supplemental Draft, they must forfeit their choice in the corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

if NE pulls the trigger to tender a 1st maybe other teams without 2 2012 1st round selections do not offer a 1st rounder.  So if detroit submits a 2nd and NE submits a 1st he could be a Patriot.

Based on value alone this makes a ton of sense to me.  There's no player NE will get next draft with a top 15 grade.  You have to guess both NO and NE's picks are late 20s or 31 and 32.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]if NE pulls the trigger to tender a 1st maybe other teams without 2 2012 1st round selections do not offer a 1st rounder.  So if detroit submits a 2nd and NE submits a 1st he could be a Patriot. Based on value alone this makes a ton of sense to me.  There's no player NE will get next draft with a top 15 grade.  You have to guess both NO and NE's picks are late 20s or 31 and 32.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but again, I think Detroit will be all over this kid, especially if they can get him in camp this year vs. having to wait for a CB next.

Yes, I agree that the value piece makes a lot of sense from the NE side.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

If I was the Pats I'd offer a 1st rounder for him as well...Pats got a strong locker room & just immagine the secondary the Pats could field...DO IT !!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]If I was the Pats I'd offer a 1st rounder for him as well...Pats got a strong locker room & just immagine the secondary the Pats could field...DO IT !!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Arrington and Butler would have some trade value if you take Jenkins.  Arrington I see a 3rd maybe a desperate team gives a 2nd for him.  Butler on the other hand nothing ealier than a 5th.

I would jump on Jenkins hope no one else offers a 1st round.  Chung is a really good blitzer, with so many cover CBs you are not forced to drop him into coverage and bring him in to blitz, play that hybrid role Rodney played.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

when was the last time a 1st round pick was given up for a player in the supplemental draft? It isn't going to happen. 3rd round pick tops. some desperate team could give up a 2nd but that would be pushing it for a kid with baggage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]when was the last time a 1st round pick was given up for a player in the supplemental draft? It isn't going to happen. 3rd round pick tops. some desperate team could give up a 2nd but that would be pushing it for a kid with baggage.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

There aren't many 1st round top 15 prospects that come out in the supplemental draft.  Most of the time are guys who have a 3rd or lower grade.

Actually I can't remember at all any guy who will be a top 15 pick coming out through the supplemental draft reason why you don't see 1st round picks tendered.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

I highly doubt anyone will use a 1st round pick on this guy.  I'm sure some team will throw out a 2nd for this kid but I don't see it being the Pats.  Most teams value their 1st round picks and a team like Detriot, who could end up with a top 10 pick in next years draft, won't take the risk of giving up next year's first for a kid who doesn't know how to lay off the weed when his career is on the line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

IIRC, the supplemental draft would use next season's first rounder. 

I wouldn't do that for Jenkins. Not a chance. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

184 is pretty light, he'll get slapped off with a forearm shiver...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I highly doubt anyone will use a 1st round pick on this guy.  I'm sure some team will throw out a 2nd for this kid but I don't see it being the Pats.  Most teams value their 1st round picks and a team like Detriot, who could end up with a top 10 pick in next years draft, won't take the risk of giving up next year's first for a kid who doesn't know how to lay off the weed when his career is on the line.
    Posted by ItsPat[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would go with a third. He is smallish but talented ... yet at the same time obviously stupid or troubled. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

My prediction, Det gets him with a second. Coverage sacks and pressure picks. Exciting defense for sure. Plus, Fairley is the ultimate mentor, lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Take him with one of the two first round picks . . . both will be late in next years' draft (25 or later).  Arrington (he could be a free agent with the new contract, if they agree on something this year), Bodden and Butler can be used as trade bait to recover a pick (2nd for Bodden, 5th or 6th for Butler and maybe a 4th for Arrington).  There no way the Pat's will pay Bodden's big salary, along with this years' second round picks' salary and the salary they'd have to pay Jenkins.  So they'd end up with a very young group of three corners for the next few years and either Arrington or Butler as the 4th man at the position!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

ten, 2nd rd picks and supplimental guys dont get that much cash, they are cheap.  No need to cut Bodden before we know any of them can play at all.

But i do agree with ur trade value much better than the post with a 2nd or 3rd for Arrington.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

we could get him with a 3rd or maybe a 4th...no one is gonna offer a first

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Bodden works cheap dude. Most of his contract was a bonus. 

He makes $3.9 million next season. 

Even if he sits on the bench that is cheap by NFL standards.

AND cutting him actually costs NE more. Cutting bottom would acclerate his bonus and it would be a $4.5 million charge.

As long as he can move, Bodden will be a Patriot next season. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft#Supplemental_Draft
    several times when teams had used a 1st for supplemental draft, but to mixed results