Jermaine Cunningham Vs Carlos Dunlap

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Jermaine Cunningham Vs Carlos Dunlap

There is a fundamental problem in the coaching. Not a single player in the past 4 years on defense has gotten better from one year to the next, not ONE.

Cunningham - decent rookie year. Complete disappearing act.

McCourty - Awesome rookie year! Now looks lost.

Mayo - Looked to be the makings of one of the best LBs in football after his ROY campaign. Now? Injuries have played a part, but he simply has not progressed like people thought.

Ninkovich - People were very pleased with his seeming emergence last year. What happened now?

Meriweather - Had his high point his rookie year, and steadliy declined since.

Those are all young guys, how about vets?

Bodden - Very good first year, cashed in, got hurt, got cut.

Gerard Warren - looked ok last year. Not so much now.

Haynesworth - He needed to perform or be done, maybe he's useless, but I see nothing to suggest coaching would have helped him.

They really haven't kept many people arond very long, the one mainstay who ALWAYS plays well is Wilfork. Other than that players who were bad coming in, stayed bad. Players who were good coming in, got worse. Players who have good rookie campaigns DO NOT PROGRESS. That points fully to coaching. I don't know what/who's changed, but whoever makes the decisions and spends time coaching with this D is not good. The CBs solely play the receiver's face, NEVER do I see them turn to find the ball in the air, and it leads to stupid penalties like on Arrington. Go watch games, you'll see the most glaring example of this in McCourty. Last year he regularly found the ball in the air, and broke on it. This year he's trying to face guard, and getting burned. Now, either he suddenly took what worked through college, and in his first pro season....and threw it out. OR, he got coached a certian way coming into this season. I'm going with the former, somebody needs to go on the coaching staff. If this is all Bill's call, well, the game maybe has passed him by. I tend to think it's him giving responsibilities to others, but I could be wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Jermaine Cunningham, who's that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Jermaine Cunningham Vs Carlos Dunlap:
    [QUOTE]There is a fundamental problem in the coaching. Not a single player in the past 4 years on defense has gotten better from one year to the next, not ONE. Cunningham - decent rookie year. Complete disappearing act. McCourty - Awesome rookie year! Now looks lost. Mayo - Looked to be the makings of one of the best LBs in football after his ROY campaign. Now? Injuries have played a part, but he simply has not progressed like people thought. Ninkovich - People were very pleased with his seeming emergence last year. What happened now? Meriweather - Had his high point his rookie year, and steadliy declined since. Those are all young guys, how about vets? Bodden - Very good first year, cashed in, got hurt, got cut. Gerard Warren - looked ok last year. Not so much now. Haynesworth - He needed to perform or be done, maybe he's useless, but I see nothing to suggest coaching would have helped him. They really haven't kept many people arond very long, the one mainstay who ALWAYS plays well is Wilfork. Other than that players who were bad coming in, stayed bad. Players who were good coming in, got worse. Players who have good rookie campaigns DO NOT PROGRESS. That points fully to coaching. I don't know what/who's changed, but whoever makes the decisions and spends time coaching with this D is not good. The CBs solely play the receiver's face, NEVER do I see them turn to find the ball in the air, and it leads to stupid penalties like on Arrington. Go watch games, you'll see the most glaring example of this in McCourty. Last year he regularly found the ball in the air, and broke on it. This year he's trying to face guard, and getting burned. Now, either he suddenly took what worked through college, and in his first pro season....and threw it out. OR, he got coached a certian way coming into this season. I'm going with the former, somebody needs to go on the coaching staff. If this is all Bill's call, well, the game maybe has passed him by. I tend to think it's him giving responsibilities to others, but I could be wrong.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

You're pretty much right about the lack of improvement in the young players, maybe the lockout had something to do with it, but it reminds me of the Pete Carroll years. Chung may of improved in coverage a bit - he went from terrible - to just bad. I know Mayo has had injuries and despite that is a good player, but he's not a guy that when he's in there I think...oh man, thank god he's in there. For a pro bowl player and a top ten pick, he's average at best in coverage, never gives you a pass rush, doesn't make plays behind the line of scrimmage. After a while you have to ask yourself, why is he considered an outstanding player? He doesn't stand out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, I am sure that is the one mistake he's made...  Oivey, must each fan make their own push for whatever player not on our team has somehow caught their attention?  I think he should have drafted Spartacus when he had the chance. When we were winning multiple Super Bowls, not to mention going to one and not winning, after winning sixteen in a row and doing a great deal of winning besides all of that, no one here had an issue with Belichick or Brady in any way.  Now each fan is trying to push the expertise they think they have that in fact amounts to a thimble full compared to the PATS head coach.  The man has been in the NFL since the mid to late 1970's, before many of you were even born. Man it's like kindergarten around here this week.  Stick around, we'll be adding up the numbers on the sides of the big cube in about five minutes, followed by milk and cookies. BTW, there's another important and probably very entertaining game this week in New York but I guess many of you guys won't be watching this team you seem to dislike so much
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

Dess,
    With all due respect, I think you got it all wrong. The folks that vent here DO LIKE the team, that is the point. They want better as do I. They think the should be getting better given we have a HOF Coach/genius DC, and a HOF QB. Those 2 combinations dont' come along very often, probably once in a lifetime for this franchise.
    Much has been made about BB's prowess on draft day. How he manipulates the board, takes advantage of the situation, drafts based on value, always collecting more and more picks for the year to come. The problem is, while manipulating the draft board so eloquently, he's missed quite often on some real talent.
    It's not about coulda shoulda. It's about a GM/HC with almost 40 years of NFL experience, coaching HOFs, assembling SB teams, being able to identify the RIGHT talent and act on it.
    And, it's not 1 or 2 occasions. It's well over 10 since 2006. Players selected at whatever position, and the much better player at teh same position selected 1-15 spots later. It's about passing year after year after year on a legit pass rusher (since we've needed probably since 2006) when we see so many pass us by and become successful on other teams. Why is that?
    It's about needing LB help for about 4-5 years now, and having to live with the Pierre Woods, Eric Alexanders of the world, or seeing guys like Crable, McKenzie simply not pan out.

Look, I could go on and on about each draft, our positions of need, who/what was selected, and what we passed up to either pick up a scrub in FA, or not address the posiiton of need at all.

Sure, we've all enjoyed the glory years being Pats fans. And, we all want them to continue. Speaking for myself, we've had the ammunition for some time to parlay our success well beyond 2005 and at least until Brady retires. Instead, we are 7 years removed from a SB victory, and haven't won iin the post-season since 2007. I expect more out of a HOF GM/Coach.

Don't you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

[QUOTE]Jermaine Cunningham, who's that?
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

Just another wasted 2nd round pick. Noone special. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine Cunningham Vs Carlos Dunlap : Wow! That is one impressive list. For anyone else one might lose his job over this. I live in Redskins country and the fans here would be going crazy of this kind of list.
    Posted by thehub[/QUOTE]

No one in the skins organization would lose their job and all those players would have long term contracts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, I am sure that is the one mistake he's made...  Oivey, must each fan make their own push for whatever player not on our team has somehow caught their attention?  I think he should have drafted Spartacus when he had the chance. When we were winning multiple Super Bowls, not to mention going to one and not winning, after winning sixteen in a row and doing a great deal of winning besides all of that, no one here had an issue with Belichick or Brady in any way.  Now each fan is trying to push the expertise they think they have that in fact amounts to a thimble full compared to the PATS head coach.  The man has been in the NFL since the mid to late 1970's, before many of you were even born. Man it's like kindergarten around here this week.  Stick around, we'll be adding up the numbers on the sides of the big cube in about five minutes, followed by milk and cookies. BTW, there's another important and probably very entertaining game this week in New York but I guess many of you guys won't be watching this team you seem to dislike so much
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

Actually, going back to 2007 it wasn't easy to see just how many guys who were vital to the success were not BB guys.  A few years ago when I started preaching that maybe BB wasn't the greatest GM of all-time I was unmercifully beset upon by almost every Pats' fan that heard such blasphemy. I think it is becoming clearer to many these days.

I would fashion those who adamantly defend BB against all criticism as the wailing of babies rather than those who simply expect him to do his job well.