Jermaine Cunningham???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Jermaine Cunningham???

I'm not a fan of Urban Meyers, FU football or hell, NCAAF, but is this kid a legit pass-rusher?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Jermaine Cunningham???

This is from Scouts, Inc., ESPN's scouting service:
    (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/25751/jermaine-cunningham)

http://a4.espncdn.com/prod/assets/module_header_gradient.gif'); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-attachment: scroll; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: transparent; height: 25px; clear: both; border-top-color: #c2c2c2; border-right-color: #c2c2c2; border-bottom-color: #d1d1d1; border-left-color: #c2c2c2; position: relative; z-index: 2; background-position: 0px 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px">

OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS

Production22006: (7/0) 2 tackles. 2007: (13/13) 64 tackles, 12 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 3 PBU, 1 INT. 2008: (14/14) 52 total tackles, 10 TFL, 6 sacks, 3 FF, 4 PBU.
    Height-Weight-Speed3Height and bulk are adequate but not ideal. Lacks upper-echelon straight-line speed for the position, especially considering he's somewhat undersized.
    Durability1Durability has not been an issue to this point. He has started 27 consecutive games heading into his senior season.
    Intangibles3Showed toughness playing through hyper-extended knee early in 2008. No off-the-field issues to our knowledge.
    http://a4.espncdn.com/i/draft/tracker/dt-colhead.jpg'); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: initial; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: #c2c2c2; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: #c2c2c2; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: #c2c2c2; text-transform: uppercase; font-weight: normal; color: #505050; background-position: 50% 0%; margin: 0px">1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
    http://a4.espncdn.com/prod/assets/module_header_gradient.gif'); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-attachment: scroll; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: transparent; height: 25px; clear: both; border-top-color: #c2c2c2; border-right-color: #c2c2c2; border-bottom-color: #d1d1d1; border-left-color: #c2c2c2; position: relative; z-index: 2; background-position: 0px 0px; padding: 0px">

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER SPECIFIC TRAITS

Instincts/Recognition2Lacks elite top-end speed. Still developing his swim and rip techniques. Tries to use speed-to-power moves but is only effective on occasion and typically versus TEs and smaller OTs. Has a very quick first step and excellent change-of-direction skills, though. He will work to the whistle and disrupt the QB on pure effort at times (see: double move vs. used versus LSU OT Ciron Black in second quarter of 2008 game). Can't overlook his production (12.5 sacks) versus elite competition the past two seasons.
    Strength/Toughness1Much better athlete than anticipated. Has lots of experience drooping into underneath zone coverage on zone blitz. Has very quick feet and fluid hips for his size. Shows potential to play versatile DE/OLB role in NFL. Also has experience on special teams and is a threat to block kicks.
    Range vs. Run3At his best when on the move. Very good range versus the run for a DE. He will make some plays pursuing from behind. Does a good job staying off of blocks and working his way down the line. He plays with solid leverage but simply lacks the bulk and base to anchor at the point of attack. He needs to play with more discipline as well. He will cost his team occasionally by getting sucked inside (see: Jevan Sneed TD run on bootleg in first quarter of 2008 Ole Miss game).
    Tackling3He's competitive and gives a good effort. A very solid overall motor. However, he is still learning to read keys and diagnose plays. He does not appear to have elite instincts, either.
    3rd Down CapabilitiesN/ANo information available at this time
    http://a4.espncdn.com/i/draft/tracker/dt-colhead.jpg'); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: initial; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: #c2c2c2; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: #c2c2c2; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: #c2c2c2; text-transform: uppercase; font-weight: normal; color: #505050; background-position: 50% 0%; margin: 0px">1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Bleacher Report / Sports Illustrated:
    (http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b3PZl)

Jermaine Cunningham
    Round 2, Pick 53
    Position: OLB
    Class: 4Sr
    School: Florida
    Conference: Southeastern
    HT: 6-3.5
    WT: 266
    40 Time: 4.72
    Biography: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior after totaling 34/12/7. Junior totals of 52/10/6 came after career numbers of 64/12/6.4 as a sophomore.

Positives: Terrific college defensive end expected to make the transition to outside linebacker at the next level. Quickly gets off the snap with a nice first step, uses his hands to protect himself, and bends off the edge, showing the ability to pursue the action from the back side. Plays with a great amount of explosion, immediately alters his angle of attack, and is fluid moving in all directions of the field. Plays with good balance, pad level, and stays on his feet. Fast off the edge and beats opponents off the corner. Consistently gets leverage on blockers, which gives him an advantage. Better-than-average instincts and does a solid job diagnosing the action.

Negatives: Lacks bulk and overpowered by tackles or pushed from the line. Rarely asked to play in space or do anything other than rush up the field during his Florida career.

Analysis: Cunningham has been a consistent player for the Gators the past three years. He plays hard and possesses the necessary physical skills to stand up over tackle as a 34 rush linebacker. Cunningham should also bring value to special teams.

Projection: 4th

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I guess it depends on what you are looking for,all draft choices are players some are just better suited to certain systems.Cunningham has been playing in a system similar to the Patriots for 3 years and he's been productive from the DE position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_8v-VgeZQ

i hope bb can teach him a lot. if this video is a good basis for what he's like on the field, i don't know if he would make any impact on the pass rush.

there are DEs who are hard to block (hughes, graham, etc.). this guy looks easy to block.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

seattlepat70

Thanks for the video....Interesting.

Looked like an entire game.....couple observations:

1.  Played down DE, I believe he's being considered for a stand-up OLB.  Therefore a project.  So ibeleive he was taken for what they project him to be when developed.

2.  Looked very mediocre in the first 3/4 of that video (I think I saw 2 decent plays).  During the last 1/4 of the video, when the opponent was in an obvious pasiing situation, he looked very good in stunts.  

That's why he was picked. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

To me he's a 3rd round guy or 4th. I was not impressed with him compared to the other tweener types, but what do I know?