Jets 3rd in many "Power Rankings"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Jets 3rd in many "Power Rankings"

I'm sure I'll get torn up for mentioning power rankings on this discussion board, as they're essentially meaningless, but hey, it's something to talk about.  ESPN and NFL.com 'experts' have the Jets ranked as 3rd in power rankings.  I have no doubt the Jets will be a decent team this year, but they've played 2 games at home, won a game where the Cowboys beat themselves (a Cowboys team that needed last minute heroics to beat the 49ers), and pounded a terrible Jaguars team with an abysmal quarterback situation.  This seems like giving this team a little too much credit early on, a team which has actually looked much less impressive than I thought they would.  I will be very interested to see what goes down in Oakland this weekend, and with how the Jets have looked so far, wouldn't be shocked if they lost this game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Re: Jets 3rd in many "Power Rankings"

The only power rankings that matter get decided on Feb 5th 2012.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

In Response to Re: Jets 3rd in many "Power Rankings":
    [QUOTE]The only power rankings that matter get decided on Feb 5th 2012.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

True enough, the point was more that for some reason I expected the Jets to look like a stronger team, but I've not been overly impressed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

the jets will lose their next 3 games. their best chance to win one of them is this weekend in oakland but i doubt it will happen. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

There are only so many 2-0 teams and some of the are frauds (Redskins, Bills), so it makes sense that the Jets are 3rd. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Total stupidity

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Who would you put in third ahead of the Jets?  On ESPN, they have the Packers at one, the Pats at two, and the Jets at three. Those are the only 2-0 teams that were playoff teams last year. The other 2-0 teams right now are the Redskins, Bills, Texans, and Lions. While I kind of like the Lions, Texans, and even the Bills this year, I'm not sure I'd rank them above the Jets at this point in the season. Teams like the Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Steelers and Ravens may very well be better than the Jets, but they're all 1-1, so putting them ahead of the Jets is tough given they all have a defeat while the Jets are undefeated. 

So, as much as I hate the Jets, I think the number 3 power ranking has some logic behind it.  Of course, until teams are six weeks or so into the season, all rankings and projections are meaningless any way . . . so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Jets 3rd in many "Power Rankings":
    [QUOTE]I'm sure I'll get torn up for mentioning power rankings on this discussion board, as they're essentially meaningless, but hey, it's something to talk about.  ESPN and NFL.com 'experts' have the Jets ranked as 3rd in power rankings.  I have no doubt the Jets will be a decent team this year, but they've played 2 games at home, won a game where the Cowboys beat themselves (a Cowboys team that needed last minute heroics to beat the 49ers), and pounded a terrible Jaguars team with an abysmal quarterback situation.  This seems like giving this team a little too much credit early on, a team which has actually looked much less impressive than I thought they would.  I will be very interested to see what goes down in Oakland this weekend, and with how the Jets have looked so far, wouldn't be shocked if they lost this game.
    Posted by jeffab[/QUOTE]
    The Jets have had the good fortune to play their first two games at home in which the Cowboys self destructed and the Jags, well, they're the Jags.  The Pats and Packers have each won one game at home and on the road.  Note, too, where the other teams that could be considered better than the Jets lost their games, on the road.  Saints @ GB, Steelers @ Baltimore.  It may take 4 - 6 games before we see some ture semblance of the best teams to date.  But, the all important power poll occurs in February and that is the only one that counts because everything else in between is opinions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Figured the Jets would be 2-0 so far. Had them at 9-7 before the season started. I think the Mangold injury over the next few games could really hurt them.

Cowboys - W
    Jags - W
    @Raiders - L
    @Ravens - L
    @Pats - L
    Dolphins - W
    Chargers - L
    Bye
    @Bills - W
    Pats - L
    @Broncos - W
    Bills - W
    @Redskins - W
    Chiefs - W
    @Eagles - L
    Giants - W
    @Dolphins - L

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I always get upset over meaningless lists complied by biased a**holes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Does this mean they'll play in the Rose Bowl?

Seriously, f*** power rankings.  One of many reasons I vastly prefer the NFL over college football is that there are PLAYOFFS to decide the best team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Isn't this the kind of pst people made all last season ... downplaying the Jets' close wins against various teams ... right up until they bounced the #1 ranked NE in the playoffs?

I'm all set with "bravado" over polls ... the only power ranking that matters is the Superbowl....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1anddone-again. Show 1anddone-again's posts

[QUOTE]Figured the Jets would be 2-0 so far. Had them at 9-7 before the season started. I think the Mangold injury over the next few games could really hurt them. Cowboys - W Jags - W @Raiders - L @Ravens - L @Pats - L Dolphins - W Chargers - L Bye @Bills - W Pats - L @Broncos - W Bills - W @Redskins - W Chiefs - W @Eagles - L Giants - W @Dolphins - L
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

Keep dreaming.  Bet u picked Pats to beat Jets in playoffs jast year as well......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't this the kind of pst people made all last season ... downplaying the Jets' close wins against various teams ... right up until they bounced the #1 ranked NE in the playoffs? I'm all set with "bravado" over polls ... the only power ranking that matters is the Superbowl....
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

aaahhhh, be careful with such words!! Lest u be considered a troll by some koolaid fans and bb worshipers.

I agree with you tho, the Jets have been making it a "habit" of winning these close games....much like the Patriots used to. Easy to hate, easy to dismiss as luck, but we need to be wary about teams like the Jets because they do match up well against the Patriots.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

That should all change in the next few weeks when they start losing @ Oak, @ Balt, Vs. NE, Vs. SD, @ Buff, and @ NE. Will be 3-6.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Jets aren't going to go 0-3 over their next three; they're going to go 1-2.  They'll beat Oakland.

The only thing the Jets have going for them is their pass defense and occasional run defense.  Sanchez is literally one of the worst QBs in this league, and Jets fans know this.  Their defense is what wins games for them.

Oh yeah, and Tony Romo.  Jets didn't win that game, Dallas lost it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I hate the Jets, but I think they're a formidable team, with a very good defense and an offense that's inconsistent but capable of making enough big plays to win a game. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

power rankings while fun to read only matter in college football because thats all the bcs really is