Jets best in the East???????????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepats51. Show nepats51's posts

Jets best in the East???????????

wow!!!! jets keep making the moves to get talent!! even if they are off the field issues, the pats have to step up and have a great draft!! and lets see the pats trade for sum studs!!    Huh??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Re: Jets best in the East???????????

The Jets are making a run at winning the AFC. A 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes looks like a real bargain! The kind of deal the Pats used to pull off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

They'll implode. Watch.

If you want two similar cases: Cowboys and Chargers. On paper, those two teams should have won at least one Super Bowl and yet, they're never close. Why? Character issues/ego/lack of discipline. You could argue that the Chargers were just as talented as the Saints and maybe even more talented than the Colts and yet on the eve of their game against the Jets, one of their stars, Vincent Jackson, was seen clubbing. The Cowboys finally won a playoff game last year and it's not a coincidence that it happened after they dropped T.O. and brought in guys like Keith Brooking --- a player that may be old but brings the accountability and discipline a playoff team needs (see Tedy Bruschi).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Marshawn Lynch, anyone?.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The Jets don't really have any team leaders to my knowledge, only egos. Even their head coach is all ego. Santonio Holmes might be facing suspension, and if the team starts to have some issues winning games their players will all be very vocal. It's becoming more and more of a team full of woman beaters and ego maniacs. It'll be an interesting season, but I don't see this working for them in the long run.

What is their team payroll at this point? It seems like every day it's just going higher and higher. Are there going to be luxury taxes or anything like baseball has? If it turns out there is a salary cap after this season they'll be in a tough position as well.

The media is making the team out to be one of the best ever. What does the media do when the team they already crowned to be great has a couple bad games? They tear them apart. These thugs they are getting will be vocal in interviews, on the field, and in the locker room. We'll see what happens. As of now they are getting very hyped up by everyone. I think the team will implode by week 6.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The BIG difference is their big coach: Rex Ryan

Part of the reason I think the Cowboys imploded was because they had a bunch of personalities trying to fall into line with a strict disciplinarian coach in Bill Parcells.  They took a turn for the worse with an apparent pushover Wade Phillips.

Marty Schottemheimer is also an old fashioned coach, and his ultra-conservative strategy was bound to fall apart in key games.  Norv Turner also seems like someone to whom guys like Shawne Merriman and LaDainian Tomlinson would back down (Pushover).

Rex Ryan is a players coach, but players respect him.  Therefore, the players can be themselves but they still trust him and they'll still listen to him.  I don't think the comparison entirely applies (unless things go awry in the first half of the season, whereas I could see this team falling apart).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

On a side note, I don't think the Steelers would give up Holmes without knowing something about his case that other people don't know

Maybe this isn't so lopsided

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

they cant be contenders until their QB is somewhat proven.  Sanchez threw almost twice as many picks as TDs, they can play with pro bowl players on their team and still wont win if Mexican-chez plays bad

Shonn Greene hasnt proven that hes a legit back, might not be durable....
    Braylon Edwards drops more passes than Steven Hawking
    Cromartie has multiple STDs and has played terribly recently 
    LT is more than washed up

their front seven is old and have no safetys...
    as of now it looks like theyll be able to beat the Bills and thats it
    miami will beat them, and of course... the Pats will annihilate them

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Jets best in the East???????????:
    On a side note, I don't think the Steelers would give up Holmes without knowing something about his case that other people don't know Maybe this isn't so lopsided
    Posted by NickC1188

I was thinking that too. I know it's highly likely he's going to be suspended for four games, but we don't know the entire story. There could be all kinds of issues we don't know about.

Also, his contract is up after this year I believe. So he may only be a Jet for 12 games. We'll see what happens though.

Off the top of my head these are the big names they've gotten so far:
    Ladainian Tomlinson
    Santonio Holmes
    Antonio Cromartie

Big names, but can they perform? Thomas Jones is better than LT is at this point. As far as I know Leon Washington is gone as well. Can Greene hold up for an entire season? What if LT or Green gets hurt? Who else do they have as depth players? Wide receiver seems to be the only position they really have depth in. And Holmes has the potential to be suspended for quite some time.  I'm sure I'm missing a couple players as well. Jason Taylor never signed with them did he?

Also, NickC1188, you have a point when it comes to their head coach. He is a players coach and isn't all about discipline. However, as you pointed out that it didn't work for the disciplinary coaches i'm not so sure having the opposite will work in this situation either. The players won't be afraid to speak their minds. One thing might get said in an interview and there won't be the leadership or discipline from the coach to stop a locker room scuffle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm gagging at this trade. 

Rex Ryan is acting like "win this year or you're cooked."  Don't ask how many hours that will take, to cook him.  Let's see, 20 minutes per pound...

So, Rex shoots a fifth rounder on a this-year-only player, a good one, with the bigtime baggage that now costs $30 a bag on Spirit Airlines.  Holmes would actually be a quality player except for self-destructing at a nightclub, cutting a woman's face open with a drinking glass at a club, following his four game suspension for failing a certain minimum number of drug tests. 

I'd say Holmes has acted repeatedly stupid.  He may or may not exercise or practice in this offseason, he's certainly going clubbing, and it's getting to him.

Pittsburgh scored a cheap fifth rounder. 

By comparison, Marshawn Lynch took his football buds out for a night drinking last offseason.  At 3:00 a.m. he knocked down a young woman in a crosswalk and probably sped off, mnus a piece of the car, possibly because he was DUI.  These incidents can't be good for the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

has anyone here heard of the redskins?? the notorious offseason champs for the past 3,4 years?? yea games are not won on paper but feel free to crown them... I for one will take a wait and see approach

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

I know they are brining whole bunch of characters at one time, and they only go hot late in the season. Until mark sanchez delivers which will be quite a while, they won't even win the division. I'm a die hard pat fan but I'm not a blind one, they've made key moves and if the pieces fall in place, well lets just say AFC East got whole lot tougher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

They weren't even a playoff team until the Colts and Bengals laid down at the end of the year. I agree with 81pats12, the Jets are becoming the Redskins of the AFC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

the bengals got wopped they didn't lay down, they embarrassed them. I know I'm supposed to hate em and say sh*t about them, and be negative but they got a tough coach, a city that's desperate for win, quite few exceptional players and their defense rocks from the start to finish it was good. Their offense is still goona be flakey but they are a whole lot better team than last year 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

the bengals got wopped they didn't lay down, they embarrassed them.
    Posted by akius

It was week 17 and the Bengals had clinched playoffs. Their backup QB played just as much as Palmer did. If I remember right, Chad Ochocinco didn't even play in the game either. Even if the starters played the entire time, you can't tell me they were all going 100% in a game that didn't matter. The Bengals played better in the actual playoff game, but the Jets were riding momentum and the Bengals weren't that great to begin with. Then they played the Chargers who can't win a playoff game unless it's against the Colts. The Chargers had them until the end too.

Then they played a team that can actually play in the playoffs and got beat. The Jets were a streaky team last year, and got lucky at the end. We'll see what happens this year with more vocal players. You never know, one of those losing streaks might cause some internal issues.

"I know I'm supposed to hate em and say sh*t about them, and be negative but they got a tough coach, a city that's desperate for win, quite few exceptional players and their defense rocks from the start to finish it was good. Their offense is still goona be flakey but they are a whole lot better team than last year "

Here's going off your edit. Yeah, they are a better team than last year. On paper. They'll have some good games, but I think they have too many personalities in the locker room with a coach that's a little too laid back and arrogant. There's a lot of potential trouble there. I think they'll have a good year, but not a superbowl year like they've already been crowned by almost everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

I agree, I'm saying they'll be better... thats all

cant wait for the season to start

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Definitely. It sure is going to be an exciting season. Hopefully the Pats win the superbowl, especially if there's a lockout the year after. Having a superbowl win be my last memory of the pats for a year or two would be pretty nice... kinda like what we had back in the 03 and 04 seasons. Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We're still kidding ourselves about "character issues"? Hello, Rex Ryan loves that in his players. Did we all forget that Braylon Edwards had "character issues" in Cleaveland? And Bart Scott helped cost the Ravens the game in '07, or that Ray Lewis was arrested for murder? Or that Fatty wants a no talent loud mouth, aka Adalius Thomas, just so he can try to say he's a better coach than Belichick if he succeeds in NY? 

Right now the Jets are better than the Pats, but The Pats are working the draft instead of trades and Free Agency. No need to panic just yet, wait till the draft. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

The Jets are like the Yankee's of  2006-2008 all old has beens and misfits. Let them throw away there draft picks on troubled players. It will be all giggles and fun until they lose or its contract time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It's proven through the years that FA doesn't bring a winner.  By it's nature the team that dives into FA is volatile.  It can't be sustained.  Any success they have they will pay for it down the road.  It's all temporary.

Mike Tannenbaum is the architect of this mess.  He's thrown many a coach under the bus but I think it's his butt on the line now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

hate to say it,but the jets will be the team to beat this year.they were in the championship game this past season with a rookie QB.now he has a year under his belt.add all the talent they brought in.its hard to ignore.cant wait for the draft,but i know realisticly it wont help the pats get better this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12432/ochocinco-begs-nfl-to-stop-the-jets

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

They'll implode. Watch. If you want two similar cases: Cowboys and Chargers. On paper, those two teams should have won at least one Super Bowl and yet, they're never close. Why? Character issues/ego/lack of discipline. You could argue that the Chargers were just as talented as the Saints and maybe even more talented than the Colts and yet on the eve of their game against the Jets, one of their stars, Vincent Jackson, was seen clubbing. The Cowboys finally won a playoff game last year and it's not a coincidence that it happened after they dropped T.O. and brought in guys like Keith Brooking --- a player that may be old but brings the accountability and discipline a playoff team needs (see Tedy Bruschi).
    Posted by apdynasty23

I am laughing at the idea of Fat Boy Ryan crying because he can't stand to see his guys fighting in the clubhouse all the time.....LOL!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

They're still stuck with Sanchez and he's coming off major knee surgery. Why doesn't anyone point out that they don't have a QB?

Does anyone really think these diva receivers are going to block for running plays? What does Holmes owe the Jets? He's a proven performer who deserves a new contract; so now all of a sudden he's going to play lights out for his rookie deal? I doubt it.

If Favre was still a Jet I'd be nervous but they have INT machine Sanchez back there gimping it up after knee surgery. What happens when he goes down?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

My thoughts:

1. The Jets aren't patient enough to actually win a SB.  Last year they thought they won it in week 2, and this year they probably think they won it before the draft even takes place.  Makes me wonder what they'll do next year...

2. STP43FAN said it well, players coaches aren't successful long.  They usually come out the gate strong, but they all fizzle out.  I won't say the fizzle out will occur this year, but it will occur soon.  There is a lot of NFL history that says "players coaches" don't do well in the long term.

3. If rings were handed out at this time of the year, the Redskins would have been the team of the decade.  How things look on the field aren't always as good as how they look on paper in the offseason.  This year the Jets are reminding me a lot of the Redskins.

All that said, do I think they improved this offseason?  Yes, with one exception.  LT is a downgrade in their running game.  I suspect we'll see a talented team that just can't get it together this year.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I have to admit to being a little impressed and a little scared of all the moves going on right now with the NYJ.  Sure their locker room resembles the island of misfit toys but let's be honest, "if" they ever found themselves on the same page and gelled properly they have SB potential and we are going to have our hands full.