Jets Have CB Troubles, Too

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Jets Have CB Troubles, Too

...and it's not just the Revis contract situation. Newly acquired CB. Antonio Cromartie, is reportedly having problems with the same hip that kept him out of the 2008 season. Safety Brodney Pool is also injured: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/01/hip-injury-returns-for-antonio-cromartie/

This from the NY Daily News:

CROMARTIE HURTING
    www.nydailynews.com/topics/Rex+Ryan" title="Rex Ryan">Rex Ryan continued to share his injury list, which he is not mandated to do until the regular season. One name, in particular, stood out: www.nydailynews.com/topics/Antonio+Cromartie" title="Antonio Cromartie">Antonio Cromartie (hip).

In the locker room, the cornerback, who was acquired from www.nydailynews.com/topics/San+Diego+Chargers" title="San Diego Chargers">San Diego in the offseason, applied an ice pack to his right hip.

"I figured I'd float it out there, ‘Now they need Revis more than ever,' " Ryan said. "Cromartie missed two plays of team period."

Ryan seemed nonchalant about the announcement, but www.nydailynews.com/topics/Brodney+Pool" title="Brodney Pool">safety Brodney Pool (sprained ankle) missed his third consecutive practice. He will be among the starters who sit the whole game against the Eagles Thursday night anyway. Whether or not he will be around for the opener is unknown

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/09/01/2010-09-01_darrelle_revis_agents_neil_schwartz_jon_feinsod_deny_report_of_their_paying_vinc.html?r=sports#ixzz0yIhvwAmM 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Jets Have CB Troubles, Too

Right but to give credit to Rex, his blitzing schemes are second to none, which will help their secondary.  This is still a top 5 defense.

I hope the young guns are ready to step up, because our pass rush isn't exactly formidable. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Jets Have CB Troubles, Too:
    [QUOTE]Right but to give credit to Rex, his blitzing schemes are second to none, which will help their secondary.  This is still a top 5 defense. I hope the young guns are ready to step up, because our pass rush isn't exactly formidable. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It makes you wonder what the Pats might have done if they had an agressive DC like Ryan...instead of the passive Pees.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets Have CB Troubles, Too :      Agreed. It makes you wonder what the Pats might have done if they had an agressive DC like Ryan...instead of the passive Pees.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

We got one preseaon game to try and see what could happen.... but let's not hold our breathe on the blitzing, but I am excited to see how Butler and McCourty react in this game.... should be interesting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]I have been saying this during the week. Cromartie has been bad in preaseason. The NY media is surprised how bad he has looked. There have been numerous columns on it.    He looks the part, but his inconsistency is already showing. And I warned about Pool. He's always hurt.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

What's your spin going forward about what this team's expectation are for this year, and were do you see BB going with this defense.  Trades? or play it out?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

LOL just testing you... making sure you're still sharp.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]I have been saying this during the week. Cromartie has been bad in preaseason. The NY media is surprised how bad he has looked. There have been numerous columns on it.    He looks the part, but his inconsistency is already showing. And I warned about Pool. He's always hurt.
    I half way disagree. The Post and Daily Snooze are both saying Cromartie is playing well ( I have todays Post in my hand stating such). Both papers however are very down on Pool, with a split on Wilson. Fat Rex has been gushing on Wilson, but the beat writers are split on him. 
    Of course everyone is clamoring for a Revis signing..and EVERYONE is nervous about Sanchise. There is even speculation if Sanchise starts 0-2 and plays poorly, that MIGHT be why Clemens was resigned. (the feeling being that Brunell is a defacto coach, and god forbid he has to actually play in a game)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You are such a bafoon." - in comparison to a front-running troll who was nowhere to be seen before the Jets emerged after some years of mediocrity?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets Have CB Troubles, Too : Do you realize they all raved about Pool and bashed Rhodes, the latter being critical to the back line even though Leonhard can handle it, that's still a downgrade. Rhodes was just more pricey than Pool. But, Pool is not a better fit for them over Rhodes. Jets fans wanted to point a finger when Revis had double coverage last year, and Rhodes was always the scapegoat.  Jets fans raved about Rhodes for years, but only now when Leonhard could play the role cheaper, is Rhodes bad and Pool an upgrade. lol
    But that wasn't the point. The point is that Rex and the media are saying Cromartie is playing great. Split on Wilson. Nervous on Pool.
    Rusty, I AGREE with your assesment of Cromartie, but the NY Media and Rex say other wise. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Rex does the link, lie?  Wow.  We admitted Bodden is a huge loss, but you can't take the fact the guy hurt his hip pretty bad and that might be lingering?  That it may also effect his playing?  Go post your junk on a NY Blog. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets Have CB Troubles, Too : Good one, Spanker. Now get back to your chosen profession with your Blue Ray copy of the Spikes video..
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

Phat, I have found you to be a decent thoughtful, and respectful guy, so I don't get this comment from you.  Goes too far. Anyway,  Cromartie doesn't/hasn't impressed me since his big year.  BUT I think that our Tight End rebuild was largely due to two teams we lost to last year-  Jets and Colts.  Our TEs will negate ANYONES blitz or speed rush packages.  That is why we did it.  We now have our vertical game, our backfield game, and have greatly improved our midrange game without tipping run or pass to the defense.  I think that is all we need, revis, cromartie or whatever.  On defense, we sure need a vet right now, or the first half of the season is going to be expensive.  Thats how I feel, anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

The best thing that can happen for Revis is that Ravens and Pats light up their secondary and management makes a knee jerk reaction and gives him his big contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Opposite Cromartie, and benefitting from Cromartie's complete inability to stop long passes, is Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson.  Wilson's other qualities are serving him well right now: he has speed and quick learning ability.  He looked pretty good out there in the few times when he defended against first string QBs.  However, he has two basic issues as a cornerback: 

First, he's only 5'10" with short arms and he won't grow any more.  That's not a problem when defending against speedy 5'9" receivers, but don't put him on Gronkowski unless it's all for charity. 

Second, anyone that small probably won't be on the field all season.  Little guys are not made to collide with 300 pound pulling guards, nor with 260 pound tight ends.  The laws of Physics are not with Volkswagen Beetles when they collide with cement trucks.  So then we have to look beyond Kyle Wilson to someone I've never heard of. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]Opposite Cromartie, and benefitting from Cromartie's complete inability to stop long passes, is Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson.  Wilson's other qualities are serving him well right now: he has speed and quick learning ability.  He looked pretty good out there in the few times when he defended against first string QBs.  However, he has two basic issues as a cornerback:  First, he's only 5'10" with short arms and he won't grow any more.  That's not a problem when defending against speedy 5'9" receivers, but don't put him on Gronkowski unless it's all for charity.  Second, anyone that small probably won't be on the field all season.  Little guys are not made to collide with 300 pound pulling guards, nor with 260 pound tight ends.  The laws of Physics are not with Volkswagen Beetles when they collide with cement trucks.  So then we have to look beyond Kyle Wilson to someone I've never heard of. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    Look, the Jets run out with Cromartie, Wilson and Lowrey. We know Revis isn't sitting out the season. Not a bad foursome. If healthy, maybe the best 4 in football?
    I like the Pats potential and thought we had a very workable 4 man rotation. I think the Bodden injury hurts more than T Warren or Mankins. We lose our #1 CB, and #2 and #3 are very green. #4 is talented but hasn't shown it in games.
    Very tough situation as the strength of the defense now looks like a weakness, and the front 7 is very thin at best. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets Have CB Troubles, Too : You sound like griswolds little sidekick.  Wilson is 5'10 and McCourty 5'11.  One of those two has gotten torched this preseason.  Guess who.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]
    Both are unproven. The biggest difference, assuming Revis is still out, is that in week 2 one will be facing a Pro Bowl QB throwing to the 2nd greatest receiver to play the game and one won't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets Have CB Troubles, Too :      Agreed. It makes you wonder what the Pats might have done if they had an agressive DC like Ryan...instead of the passive Pees.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

It all comes back to BB.He more than anyone would no the defense wins championships yet it appears the Pats will put out a weaker D than last year. I am concerned that none of the defensive problems from last season have been fixed. Time will tell of course but I thought that Kraft and BB may make a splash in the offseason and at least go some way to a pass rush. Pats have Brady in his prime only for so long and only needed a couple of pieces brought in to be a genuine contender again particularly on d yet didn't really add anything