JETS Offseason Breakdown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

JETS Offseason Breakdown

We've all heard about the great offseason the Jets have had and how they're picked to take the East so I took a look at it myself. I'll throw down some gains and losses and you guys tell me if I'm crazy but they look worse.

Gain                            Loss
    Cromartie (CB)              Leon Washington (RB)
    Santonio Holmes (WR)    Thomas Jones (RB)
    L Tomlinson  (RB)           Allen Fanaca (OL)
    J Taylor (DE)                 Kerry Rhodes (S)
    Nick Folk (K)                 Donald Strickland (CB)
    Brodney Pool (S)           Jay Feely (K) 
    Lance Laury (LB)           Lito Sheppard (CB)
    Rodrique Wright (DE)      Larry Izzo (LB)
                                      Marques Douglas (DE)
                                      Ryan Fowler
                                      Marques Murell
                                      James Dearth
                                      Howard Green
                                      5 Assistant Coaches

They got Kyle Wilson, CB, Vladimir Ducasse T, Joe McNight RB and John Conner FB in the draft. Now, can someone please tell me how this team just made huge leaps and bounds with Sanchez as the QB?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: JETS Offseason Breakdown

Just ask any Jet player or Coach. They will tell you how great they are. Also listen to any sports outlet and you will also hear how great they are. jets players are regulars on most of the shows. 

i was just listening to Sirius at lunch time and they were discussing if the Pats or the Phins were #2 in the division. The consensus was that the Phins had also passed the Pats in the division.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: JETS Offseason Breakdown:
    Just ask any Jet player or Coach. They will tell you how great they are. Also listen to any sports outlet and you will also hear how great they are. jets players are regulars on most of the shows.  i was just listening to Sirius at lunch time and they were discussing if the Pats or the Phins were #2 in the division. The consensus was that the Phins had also passed the Pats in the division.
    Posted by justme2
    ...well they can't say "we've regressed" or "we can't win the division" so the comments while being optomistic are not over the top. As for sports outlets, they'll come up with all sorts of ideas/commentary/etc to drum up readership. Just look at the Brady issue and the commentary about his contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to JETS Offseason Breakdown:
    We've all heard about the great offseason the Jets have had and how they're picked to take the East so I took a look at it myself. I'll throw down some gains and losses and you guys tell me if I'm crazy but they look worse. Gain                             Loss Cromartie (CB)              Leon Washington (RB) Santonio Holmes (WR)    Thomas Jones (RB) L Tomlinson  (RB)           Allen Fanaca (OL) J Taylor (DE)                 Kerry Rhodes (S) Nick Folk (K)                 Donald Strickland (CB) Brodney Pool (S)           Jay Feely (K)  Lance Laury (LB)           Lito Sheppard (CB) Rodrique Wright (DE)      Larry Izzo (LB)                                   Marques Douglas (DE)                                   Ryan Fowler                                   Marques Murell                                   James Dearth                                   Howard Green                                   5 Assistant Coaches They got Kyle Wilson, CB, Vladimir Ducasse T, Joe McNight RB and John Conner FB in the draft. Now, can someone please tell me how this team just made huge leaps and bounds with Sanchez as the QB?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Hey Sam,
    It has pretty much been my contention that the Jets will be the same team as last year. Very good defense but an offense that can't score consistently. The premise that Sanchez will turn the corner and become a big time QB is wishful thinking. Not saying it can't happen but If history has shown us anything the odds are against it. Here are a couple of things that have also changed. They have a tougher schedule on paper and the Odds of the Last 2 games of the season getting handed to them again are pretty steep against them. I don't think anyone should be surprised if they finish the season at 7-9 or 8-8.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Has anyone seen their soon to be free agents list? This is what they have waiting for them after the season:

Unrestricted:
    Shaun Ellis
    Nick Mangold
    Steve Weatherford
    Brodney Pool
    Tony Richardson
    Braylon Edwards
    Wayne Hunter

Restricted:
    David Harris
    Aundrae Allison
    Chauncey Washington
    Robert Turner
    Jason Davis
    Nick Folk
    Antonio Cromartie
    Rodrique Wright
    Lance Laury
    David Clowney
    Santonio Holmes
    Eric Smith
    Brad Smith
    James Ihedigbo
    Drew Coleman
    Kellen Clemens

There are a lot of big names in there. They are going to have a lot of trouble keeping their good players while maintaining depth, especially with them trading a decent amount of picks away. They will be at the point where one injury will kill their season or one draft bust will set them far behind.

As for this season, I don't think it can be argued that their passing game has improved with the WRs they acquired. Sanchez is a big question mark though, and there is no way their running game will be what it was last year. They lost a great player in Faneca and their top runners are an old, washed up LT and an unproven Greene. Greene hasn't proven he can last an entire season while getting a lot of carries. There have been a ton of running backs that have done well in the playoffs and couldn't keep up during the regular season. While their passing game appears to be improved, i'm not sure their overall offense has improved that much.

Personally I see the Jets as a giant question mark. The chance is there to be great, but I think there have been too many gambles and a couple of them will fail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: JETS Offseason Breakdown : I agree about 2011, but this was about 2010.   Did you wonder why there was so little interst in Jones in the offseason?  You might think that a guy that signed with KC for what our 33 year old backs are making coming off a 1300 yard season in our division might be a good addition to our ground game, but apparently, BB thinks he may be done as a starter, too.  I would take Greene over any of our RBs.  After all, we have 3 of the oldest running backs in the NFL and another who is not unproven, but proven to be a below average RB.  Which is worse? I'm not really sure how you don't think Holmes would improve almost any WR corp in the NFL, I'd take him on the Pats in a second. I agree with you about the question marks, though every team has them.  Many here have already claimed out rookie TE are heading to Canton before playing a down in the NFL.  Although the Jets had a a lot of rusing yards last year, I was not overly impressed.  The just ran the ball a lot.  If they wanted to make any strides, they need more balance. 
    Posted by PatStats
    ...oh are you in TROUBLE....you gave credit/praise to a player on another team.....Rusty Trombone will not like that. Unless you personally slander or dismiss players on other teams (especially the Jets or Colts) you are unworthy of being on this forum and face his childish name-calling and cannot possibly be a Patriots fan. He's probably drinking juice from the sippy cup right now with his BB bobble-head figurine and TB blow-up doll on his lap just fuming at your comments

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to JETS Offseason Breakdown:
    We've all heard about the great offseason the Jets have had and how they're picked to take the East so I took a look at it myself. I'll throw down some gains and losses and you guys tell me if I'm crazy but they look worse. Gain                             Loss Cromartie (CB)              Leon Washington (RB) Santonio Holmes (WR)    Thomas Jones (RB) L Tomlinson  (RB)           Allen Fanaca (OL) J Taylor (DE)                 Kerry Rhodes (S) Nick Folk (K)                 Donald Strickland (CB) Brodney Pool (S)           Jay Feely (K)  Lance Laury (LB)           Lito Sheppard (CB) Rodrique Wright (DE)      Larry Izzo (LB)                                   Marques Douglas (DE)                                   Ryan Fowler                                   Marques Murell                                   James Dearth                                   Howard Green                                   5 Assistant Coaches They got Kyle Wilson, CB, Vladimir Ducasse T, Joe McNight RB and John Conner FB in the draft. Now, can someone please tell me how this team just made huge leaps and bounds with Sanchez as the QB?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Your summary makes it look even more convincing that the jests have really not moved forward at all, despite all the NY media hype.

Cromartie and LT are both career malcontents and, in LT's case, is a co-poster boy for the me-first player, along with Darrell Reevis. 

Mixed in with Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and a coach who loves to run his mouth, I'm looking forward to watching a massive self-destruct by mid season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to JETS Offseason Breakdown : Well, nice job pasting the player turnover, but a bunch of names means nothing.  Clearly, the WR corp is improved, the defensive backfield is improved, the pass rush is improved (it was pretty bad last year) and if history is any guide, QB production will be much better. A very intersting part about this team will be their special teams.  Although Westoff is one of the great ST coaches, I think that loosing Feeley will hurt them quite a bit because Folk may be downright awful.  Their punter is pretty below average, too.  Though, their return game, I think, will be a little better.   Their run blocking likely will get worse, pass blocking better.  Obviously, they are attempting to achieve more offensive balance.   I thik it will come down to how much Sanchez improves.   He made very few mistakes in the playoffs.  Most young QBs that play early on in their career are shakey.  The key is, can they improve.  Although top 10 busts are not uncommon, more often that not, when a guy is a league consnesus top 10 pick, he has the tools to excell.   If you really want an honest breakdown, read this.  This is so good and in depth, I think I am going to buy it for the Pats version, this one is free. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/files/downloads/FOA%202010%20Sample%20-%20NYJ.pdf

Thanks for the read on the Jets, Stats.
    Posted by PatStats

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

these jest turds will slink off back into the dark corners they came when the reality sets in....

nothin has changed about the jests and they will do what they always do..

doo doo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Question. That FA list for next year and those restricted agents is that without a cap or with the cap? Like would Cromartie be a FA if the cap was back?

Also the Jets are setting themselves up to not have any talent around Sanchez when hes actually good if he does ever get better. The Jets arent the same ol garbage Jets but seriously last year Sanchez was terrible. Jets fans and the media are talking about next year like were going to be seeing Sanchez throw 30 tds and 10 picks. His WRs arent that good and dont match up well with the Dolphins or Pats secondaries. Edwards is an average WR, Cotchery is a average WR, and Holmes is an above average WR who was hyped up with the steelers. Their offseason moves were just straight up making no sense. Sign LT? Sign Cromartie? Eh.... They signed the worst of the Chargers and Rex Ryan spews nonsense he cant back up because hes not a good coach.

The Jets are the champs of talking in the offseason 2 years in a row. 2 years in a row they will be wondering why they cant get the division title.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: JETS Offseason Breakdown : So, you think Holmes 1250 yards in 2009 was a hype from the Steelers?  How about his SB MVP? Also hype? Son, any team would be improved by having Holmes added to their roster, including ours.  Sanchez was pretty bad last year.  His stats were statistically similar to the early years of some very good QBs and some very average QBs. However, him being on the Jets, however much you would like this to be true, does not preclude him from quick imrovment with year and an off season of study, generally the biggest hurdle for young QBs.  He has already started more games in the NFL than he did his entire college career.  I expect his TD/Int ratio to be much closer to even in 2010.
    Posted by PatStats

This guy is showing more and more of dogggggggggg's MO. He never responds to a perfectly clear question, instead going off on a tangent. He always seems to have another irrelevant point to make on any particular discussion and the colts/jests can do no wrong. 

With respect to Holmes, I don't recall any NFL team banging on Dan Rooney's door to deal for him. He was being shopped around the league for six months after his latest (and fourth) arrest before the jests finally took the bait.

If you think SB MVP is so impressive, go research Deon Branch's, Eli Manning's and Desmond Howard's careers subsequent to winning that award.

As far as Sanchez, he's still an unknown quantity and its beyond absurd for the NY media to be hyping him as a SB QB.  But a rating of 63 and a farve-esqe 20 ints is not exactly getting off to a good start.

Among top 100 all-time best QBs, in their first year, almost all had single digit picks, quite a few had zero. For example Ken Stabler, Rich Gannon and Joe Thiesman had a grand total of one between the three of them in their respective first years. Only one QB stood out with 23 picks in his first year. It wasn't even Farve. Maybe doggggggggg can tell you who that was.

http://armchairgm.wikia.com/The_100_Greatest_Quarterbacks_of_the_Modern_Era,_Version_1.0

So, you see, the "rookie year" excuse only goes so far, especially when you're touting your guy for the SB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

You had better add Revis to the minus column for 2010

He is asking for 16mil + 50 cents a year.

He has skipped parts of mini camp and he called the Jets 11 million offer an insult. He said "it doesn’t look good." to something done this year.
    He also called Jet organization dis-loyal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: JETS Offseason Breakdown : I agree about 2011, but this was about 2010.   Did you wonder why there was so little interst in Jones in the offseason?  You might think that a guy that signed with KC for what our 33 year old backs are making coming off a 1300 yard season in our division might be a good addition to our ground game, but apparently, BB thinks he may be done as a starter, too.  I would take Greene over any of our RBs.  After all, we have 3 of the oldest running backs in the NFL and another who is not unproven, but proven to be a below average RB.  Which is worse? I'm not really sure how you don't think Holmes would improve almost any WR corp in the NFL, I'd take him on the Pats in a second. I agree with you about the question marks, though every team has them.  Many here have already claimed out rookie TE are heading to Canton before playing a down in the NFL.  Although the Jets had a a lot of rusing yards last year, I was not overly impressed.  The just ran the ball a lot.  If they wanted to make any strides, they need more balance. 
    Posted by PatStats

I discussed 2010 in my post. I figured it'd be interesting bringing up their upcoming free agents too. The Pats running game has been proven to be effective. If you look at the stats they had very good running numbers, it's just that one guy doesn't do it all in NE. You can go with Greene if you want, but I'll take the Pats running game instead. What happens if Greene gets hurt? You have a bad LT and a rookie who's throwing up in camp. What happens if a NE RB gets hurt? You have at least three other guys that can sub and do a very good job.

Where did you get the idea I don't think their WRs got better? I'll reread what I wrote, but I'm pretty sure I said they improved. Of course Holmes helps their passing game, but he is out for four weeks.

They have the chance to have a good team. You're right that every team has questions marks, but I think the Jets have more and bigger question marks on bigger positions than many other teams. I'll take the Pats question mark at TE over the question mark at QB. It seems the Jets are gambling to win the superbowl this year. It seems like they've set themselves up for disaster after 2010 though...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Huggybear999. Show Huggybear999's posts

In Response to Re: JETS Offseason Breakdown : So, what you’re saying is that Moss isn’t a #1 receiver either?   After all, they had virtually identical stats.   Adding a top 10 receiver to a team doesn’t improve the receiving corp?   Did you watch Cotchery against us?  Holmes is out 4 games, that is 1/3 of the season?   Wait, let me do the math…. Are we down to a 12 game season?   When did that happen?   Sanchez threw more as the season went on?   Are you sure about that?   I know you pride yourself on making stuff up, but you might want to check that out.   Oh wait, is this one of those things where when you say more, you mean less?   If so, then you’d be right.
    Posted by PatStats

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Who really gives a sh*t about the Jets? The Jets will always s*ck in the end no matter who they bring in. And with these clowns guaranteeing a SB win is just plain stupid.

When a team has a loud-mouth coach like Rex Ryan, they are doomed to fail.

Go Pats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

dont feed the trolls...not only is he a troll hes a nitwit tool(jest fan prerequisit)...

kind of reminds me of fatboy slim

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: JETS Offseason Breakdown : So true. He starts focusing on things that are not really part of the crux of the discussion. A sure sign he's backpedaling and trying to deflect because he lost.
    Posted by russgriswold

Well let's all hit that nice little ignore button and continue with the discussion.

The Jets are a division rival of the Pats and are being proclaimed as league champions already. I think they're worth a discussion on a Patriots fan board. Especially since it's the time of year where there aren't any football stories to report.

As I've said before, I'm not convinced the Jets are a better team than last year. Greene hasn't proven he can last an entire season and the runners behind him are LT and McKnight. That isn't anything to be afraid of. They lost Faneca, one of their best O-lineman, who helped contribute to that top run game from last year. Thomas Jones is gone as well. Does anyone remember how Sanchez performed when he had to pass the ball? Yeah, interceptions galore. With a lesser run game Sanchez is going to have to step up and become a producer. Will he? We wont know until the season starts, but he certainly didn't look all that promising last year. You can have the greatest receiving corps in the league, but if you can't get an accurate pass to them it's worthless.

Cromartie isn't a guarantee either. He has one good year in San Diego and hasn't done anything since. He's also been hurt. That great CB tandem they have may already be in jeopardy because Cromartie may not be nearly as good as people believe. Also, there's no guarantee Revis is going to there either. Revis and Mangold are two of their best players and they're ready to hold out for more money and have spoken badly about the organization.

This is all for this season. I posted their upcoming free agents for next season earlier and that isn't looking too good for them either. Personally, I'm a bigger believer in the Dolphins rise than the Jets. I say the Pats are still the kings of the division and have prepared themselves to keep that title over the next decade with all the recent and future draft picks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Good  post. I agree with you.  Miami's approach is stronger than NY's because it's more methodical even if Parcells has taken some risks, they are more calculated v.s's wild, knee-jerk signings like they have in NY.
    Posted by russgriswold

Yep, a tale of 2 different franchises and 2 very different team building philosophies. I can't say it any better then "knee jerk signings" This has Rex Ryan written all over it. He is obviously a man who spouts off at the mouth and says whatever he feels without thinking about much of anything.(Like when he proclaimed his team was out of the playoffs before they actually were lol) Well now he has attempted to build a team in the same manner. Over paying for fading stars and throwing in way too many questionable character guys(Cromartie,Holmes,Braylon Edwards, even LT with his pouting) This is almost a diagram of how not to build a team!

Parcells on the other hand has done what he has always done. Drafted well developed a QB, brought in "his" guys on the coaching staff, Let a few high payed guys go to develop young talent that he drafted and has now made a big FA acquisition in Dansby and a HUGE trade for Marshall. It will be interesting to see who plays better football in the hunt for 2nd place in this division.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Problem with this years Jets versus last years is if Jones went down last year they'd have Greene to turn too. This year if Greene goes down they either turn to hit the wall LT, McKnight who's more of a 3rd down back, or bring in someone off the waiver wire. While Holmes is a good pickup he'll still miss 4 important games (Balt, NE, @Mia, @Buff). Could easily see the Jets starting out 1-3. There remaining receivers are pretty much average with Cotchery and Edwards. Sanchez has to improve on his 53.8% completion 12 TD 20 Int if the Jets go anywhere. Throw in the playoffs and it's 14 TD 24 Int's. Right now the guy reminds me a lot of David Woodley without the Don Strock. They'll still play some good D still thought getting rid of Rhodes and replacing him with Brodney Pool didn't make sense. Guessing the Jets will get off to a rough start around 2-5, then get better as the season goes on and finish with 7-8 wins.