Jets sign Sanchez. Guarantee 28 mil.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Jets sign Sanchez. Guarantee 28 mil.

The Jets are either going to sink or swim on this one... most likely sink.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-172/Report--Sanchez-highest-paid-in-Jets-history.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Re: Jets sign Sanchez. Guarantee 28 mil.

This is easy to criticize - a rookie being the highest paid player in Jets history who wasn't even the first overall selection.  I personally don't know enough about him to really comment.

To validate the money he really has to be effective in his first season which is guarantee in the AFC East.  It will be interesting to see how he pans out simply because USC has an odd recent history with QB's - Matt Cassel appears to be the best product of the decade and he wasn't even their starter.

If nothing else, just having him on the team is a benefit.  They're certainly not winning the division with Clemens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This just points out (again) everything that is wrong with the NFL salary structure. I have to believe that at some point -- and maybe as soon as next year -- the NFL will go to a graduated rookie salary cap like the NBA has. I realize that not all of this money is guaranteed, but throwing these kinds of dollars at unkown commodities like Stafford and Zoolander is just bad business; bad business that certain teams are forced to conduct in order to keep the turnstyles spinning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"It will be interesting to see how he pans out simply because USC has an odd recent history with QB's - Matt Cassel appears to be the best product of the decade and he wasn't even their starter."

I think Carson Palmer turned out to be pretty good.
    But give me 28 million and I can throw interceptions as well as Sanchez.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

The Jets have been throwing money around like drunken sailors on shore leave in Bangkok for the last Two years and we cry poverty when it comes to contracts for Sey, Fork and God forbid Peppers.

Wakeup and smell the cheapness here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from superfxb. Show superfxb's posts

The fact that Sanchez got 28 mil is a  joke. The jets will be torn because the guy that actually wins the starting position wont be Sanchez and they will look like fools

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

28 million guaranteed to a back up QB?  LOL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Sanchez isn't even a rookie.  He only started 16 games in his whole college career.  He's a smooth salesman, though. 

Basically the Jets went out on a limb early.  They overpaid.  They're still paying off on the Brett Favre deal gone bad.  For that matter they're paying off on the Gholston fiasco.  That's why they're not going to have much money left for actual football players, so they'd better load up on swagger and hope that pre-game taunting wins games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I disagree with all of you, I personally think that the Jets made a great move in drafting Sanchez and locking him up for 5 years is a smart move. Sanchez could be a very good QB. dont get me wrong i hope he falls on his face but i have a gut feeling he will be a very good player. But then again if he has not looke dthe part after 3 seasons this is a very bad move by the Jets.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Sanchez made the smart move coming out a year early, primarily because he knew his draft position would have been lower next year, when several highly-touted quarterbacks will be available. It's a crap-shoot for Green New Jersey, which is essentially basing its near future on a short sample of experience and one contrived pro day workout. We need look no further than Matt Cassel to learn that sow's ears can in fact sometimes silk purses make (yeeeez -- that was awkward), so nobody should be surprised if Zoolander turns out to be Matt Ryan or Ryan Leaf. The kind of coaching and support he gets from Rex Ryan and staff -- damn, there's a lot of Ryans in this post (suddenly, I feel like a beer) -- will obviously be key to Sanchez' development, or lack thereof.

I see some shell shock in this kid's immediate future.

But as I often say, my outlook may not be entirely objective.
    Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]Sanchez made the smart move coming out a year early,  . . . The kind of coaching and support he gets from Rex Ryan and staff . . . will obviously be key to Sanchez' development, or lack thereof. I see some shell shock in this kid's immediate future. But as I often say, my outlook may not be entirely objective.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Rex Ryan has no known experience as an offensive coach or as a quarterbacks coach.  Sanchez will just have to learn from the master, Kellen Clemens. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Actually, they signed him for less money than I thought...I was thinking $72mil., with $30mil. guaranteed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

There is a lot here that we can mock, but the fact is that the Jets are bringing this guy in to be the franchise. The dollar amount is atrocious, but I think we all know that until the NFL puts in a rookie wage scale this is the going market..... unfortunately.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

A great move by the front office , signing an unproven rookie to such a contract when it is engaged in difficult contract disputes with some key players on the team.