Re: Jets to Bag Sanchez, and Go With Vick?
posted at 12/20/2012 1:18 PM EST
What is crazy is the knee jerk reactions and decisions the Jets - and the press and their fans - make. Vick is a name, an athelete, but not the QB they need.
If you are going to build a ground and pound team what you are saying is that it is a defense centric team. What is REQUIRED for such a scheme is:
1. Strong, balanced overall D:
- A D that can stop the run, especially in the red zone and short yardage
- A D with good cover corners and a good pass rush that is not dependent on blitzing
2. An offense with:
- A QB that: (a) is a natural leader
(b) takes care of the ball
(c) IS ACCURATE AND EFFICIENT IN AT LEAST THE SHORT AND INTERMEDIATE PASSING GAME
- Depth at RB (who take care of the football)
- A strong O line, especially good at blocking for the run
- A good blocking TE with some reasonable pass catching ability
- One or more WRs and TEs who are good possession receivers and red zone targets
3. Good overall special teams, especially punt coverage and punt returns teams and a good FG kicker
What the Jets should be doing is:
(1) firing their owner (that would be interesting), their GM and head coach.
(2) dumping Tebow
(3) dumping Sanchez and replace with an efficient QB who can take care the the football and is consistent in the short to intermediate passing game (Alex Smith?)
(4) going after a guard and tackle (to upgrade starters and to increase depth on the oline
(5) getting a reasonably good blocking TE with some pass catching skills - and keeping Keller for his good skills
(6) getting a reasonable slot receiver
(7) upgrading from McKnight
(8) upgrading at least one inside and one outside LB spot including at least some blitzing skills
(9) improving the quality on D line especially in pass rush but without reducing any ability to stop the run
(10) getting a new GM, new head coach, new O coordinator... maybe make Ryan the D coordinator (of course he wont take a demotion on the same team!)
That is a lot to do. The fun thing is they have no patience and no skill at building a team. They just want fast food. ANd I hope they keep eating it.