Job Board – Wanted; Pass Rusher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from juzme. Show juzme's posts

Job Board – Wanted; Pass Rusher

Professional football team is seeking a pass rusher. Preferably a 6’ 5” 255 lb. linebacker with exceptional burst off the edge, strong and varied rush techniques (swim, bullrush, etc.) and ability to drop into coverage. Openings available due to devoting resources (4 draft choices and 5 free agent signings over two years) to rebuilding a horrible secondary. Previous work experience including Bay State League, Catholic Conference and ISL required. Interviews will be held in Foxboro, MA. Failure to fill position will force team to go to a 3 down lineman, 2 linebacker (Mayo & Thomas) and 6 defensive back set where we can’t get to opponent's QB but we can quickly tackle receivers after they make the catch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Job Board – Wanted; Pass Rusher

[QUOTE]Professional football team is seeking a pass rusher. Preferably a 6’ 5” 255 lb. linebacker with exceptional burst off the edge, strong and varied rush techniques (swim, bullrush, etc.) and ability to drop into coverage. Openings available due to devoting resources (4 draft choices and 5 free agent signings over two years) to rebuilding a horrible secondary. Previous work experience including Bay State League, Catholic Conference and ISL required. Interviews will be held in Foxboro , MA . Failure to fill position will force team to go to a 3 down lineman, 2 linebacker (Mayo & Thomas) and 6 defensive back set where we can’t get to opponent's QB but we can quickly tackle receivers after they make the catch.
    Posted by juzme[/QUOTE]

Give you a B for creativity, I like the 6 DBs but not to cover as you suggest.  We'll have nickel DBs and S blitz like there's not tomorrow.  Most of our corners now are considered press CB that can play man to man and not get burned.  This means if they play to their skills we'll be able to bring down a safety or CB and get some coverage sacks.   I have been saying for a few days now you are about to be introduced to some new type of hybrid D BB has been developing in his lab.  Poor TO he's the first rat it will be tested on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Pats are making their pitch to Taylor.....Maybe they wll send Brady to talk him into it.....  ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

What about the NEFL? New England Football League? Come one I know i am only 5'8" and a former DT but i could play OLB for the Pats......ok maybe not but i wish i could lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Going out on a limb here but I think they'll sign Jason Taylor within the next week.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Resume posting

I'm 6'5", 245 lbs. I was named second team all american my senior year. I was a Butkus award semi-finalist. I run a 4.6 40. I bench 359, I squat 540. I was a team captain. I had 90 tackles my senior year, 28 which were for a loss. I forced 4 fumbles, and recovered one. I had 7.5 sacks. I can get to the qb in a hurry. I'm also good at stopping the run.  I've been doing alot of weight training this past year, and also have been studying your playbook. Thank you, Shawn Crable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]Resume posting   I'm 6'5", 245 lbs. I was named second team all american my senior year. I was a Butkus award semi-finalist. I run a 4.6 40. I bench 359, I squat 540. I was a team captain. I had 90 tackles my senior year, 28 which were for a loss. I forced 4 fumbles, and recovered one. I had 7.5 sacks. I can get to the qb in a hurry. I'm also good at stopping the run.  I've been doing alot of weight training this past year, and also have been studying your playbook. Thank you, Shawn Crable.
    Posted by westga[/QUOTE]
    Not a bad resume there, Mr. Crable.There might be a job for you if you can come close to duplicating that production with the Pats.....go see the equipment manager...he's got a uniform for you.Stay healthy and give it your best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Size, and speed. 28 of his 90 tackles were for a loss. He must be in the backfield every play. I believe between Adalius and Crable, the pass rush will be just fine. With the new additions to the secondary, the linebackers will have that split second longer to get to the qb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Maybe this year, we can once again hear an announcer say "that sack was a result of good coverage downfield"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Professional football team is seeking a pass rusher. Preferably a 6’ 5” 255 lb. linebacker with exceptional burst off the edge, strong and varied rush techniques (swim, bullrush, etc.) and ability to drop into coverage. Openings available due to devoting resources (4 draft choices and 5 free agent signings over two years) to rebuilding a horrible secondary. Previous work experience including Bay State League, Catholic Conference and ISL required. Interviews will be held in Foxboro , MA . Failure to fill position will force team to go to a 3 down lineman, 2 linebacker (Mayo & Thomas) and 6 defensive back set where we can’t get to opponent's QB but we can quickly tackle receivers after they make the catch.
    Posted by juzme[/QUOTE]well we do need some good depth at the OLB.adding another ILB wouldnt hurt.taylor is out,and peppers is unlikely.maybe a haggens,or an antwan peek,brooks,or napolien harris,or morlen greenwood.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Caserio just stuck up for the OLB position.  He likes the guys they have now.  There were LBs and the Pats were loaded with choices but they didn't take anyone.

"There is a coverage component as well."  A closing official slap in the face for Ellis Hobbs and anyone in the D-backfield.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm not sure why everyone on here is so sure that crable will help the pats field a championship defense. if anyone here has actually followed michigan football, he came in as a very high touted recruit, and went on to do nothing in his first two years. in fact things were so bad, the coaching staff encouraged him to transfer. he decided to stay and finally lived up to his potential in his last year at michigan. the point is that he always had the talent and the football smarts, but it just took him a few years to put it all together. i think the same thing is happening here. he was pretty much inactive until he was placed on IR, which isn't a good sign. so while i would love to see him break out this year, i think it is more realistic to expect very small strides for him. 
    as for the rest of the lineup, TBC stinks (i watched a few niners games and his play was an embarrassment to pats fans) and he;d be lucky to make the team. i like redd's potential but he's not there yet. woods is the only proven young vet and looks like a pretty good player and would be the starter for sure if the roster stays as is. but the fact that the pats didn't see anyone they liked for the position in the draft doesn't mean they don't want to upgrade the position, clearly based on the pursuit of taylor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

as for available players, it sounds like laboy is out of the mix. he just had surgery and is supposed to miss the season. suggs would be really exciting of course, but its hard to believe baltimore won't get something worked out there. they seem to have a knack for keeping the players they need and letting other teams overpay for the free agents they can replace (AD and Bart Scott come to mind). 

However, while its probably a long shot, i don't see a reason to believe that the peppers fantasy is totally off the table. the only journalist who came out and said there is no chance of it happening is the plagiarist, belichick hating hack ron borges. and in most of the sports websites and blogs it is his worthless column that is quoted when referring to the peppers situation. so that alone gives me hope. other than that, nobody really knows exactly what he wants to get paid or what the panthers want in return. but it just seems like based on his stance and what the panthers did in the draft that he will be on another team next year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I'm sorry, I just don't think the Patriots are in as desperate a need for a pass rusher as it seems like the masses believes.

Missing out on Peppers and Taylor makes it look like we have a gap, especially with the injury to McKenzie. But while I don't think the LB-unit is the greatest I don't think they'll have a problem getting pressure.

In the past 4 seasons, 7 different players have finished 1 or 2 in sacks for the Patriots.  5 of them are still on the roster.  Insert guys like Banta-Cain and Crable and the team should be ok.

Without trying to type up a massive post, you can check out my full opinion here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry, I just don't think the Patriots are in as desperate a need for a pass rusher as it seems like the masses believes. Missing out on Peppers and Taylor makes it look like we have a gap, especially with the injury to McKenzie. But while I don't think the LB-unit is the greatest I don't think they'll have a problem getting pressure. In the past 4 seasons, 7 different players have finished 1 or 2 in sacks for the Patriots.  5 of them are still on the roster.  Insert guys like Banta-Cain and Crable and the team should be ok. Without trying to type up a massive post, you can check out my full opinion here .
    Posted by PatsChowder[/QUOTE]

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_jason_taylor_web_15_05-15-09_22ECKB1_v2.14aae35.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

well there is no question the pats need another player at the position. i actually think Adalius and Woods will be good starters, and hopefully either crable or redd will emerge as a good back-up. but what happens if one of those guys gets injured? they both finished last season on IR and have had a tendency to get hurt. so maybe instead of suggs or peppers or some other star, the discussion should be more about depth. i have no idea who that should be, but i'm hoping the pats brain trust has their eye on someone. any ideas? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

If you never let players coming into the league play, you will never know what they can do. We know that Pierre Woods is good enough on running downs and Tully Banta-Cain is good enough passing downs. At worst, they split the snaps. At best, Redd or Crable wins the outside linebacker spot and plays three downs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Toss2Moss. Show Toss2Moss's posts

Look back on the last couple of seasons.  Almost all of our losses were because we allowed a ton of rushing yards.  The key to our defense is the ILB position.  Tedy has lost a step.  Mayo was very good last year.  Thomas needs to play the OLB and some combination of Crable, Woods and Alexander on the other side and back ups.  Tedy needs to be a veteran backup this season.  Here's the guy we need playing with Mayo on the inside.

http://www.nfl.com/players/pisatinoisamoa/profile?id=TIN225467

ST. LOUIS (AP) - The St. Louis Rams have released veteran linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, the team's leading tackler last season.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo made the surprise announcement in a statement released on Friday, calling it a "difficult decision based on a lot of factors." He did not elaborate and the Rams did not return messages seeking comment.

Tinoisamoa is a six-year veteran who led the team with 135 tackles in 2008. He was a second-round draft choice, the 43rd overall selection in the 2002 draft. That season, he had 121 tackles to lead the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]Look back on the last couple of seasons.  Almost all of our losses were because we allowed a ton of rushing yards.  The key to our defense is the ILB position.  Tedy has lost a step.  Mayo was very good last year.  Thomas needs to play the OLB and some combination of Crable, Woods and Alexander on the other side and back ups.  Tedy needs to be a veteran backup this season.  Here's the guy we need playing with Mayo on the inside. http://www.nfl.com/players/pisatinoisamoa/profile?id=TIN225467 ST. LOUIS (AP) - The St. Louis Rams have released veteran linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, the team's leading tackler last season. Coach Steve Spagnuolo made the surprise announcement in a statement released on Friday, calling it a "difficult decision based on a lot of factors." He did not elaborate and the Rams did not return messages seeking comment. Tinoisamoa is a six-year veteran who led the team with 135 tackles in 2008. He was a second-round draft choice, the 43rd overall selection in the 2002 draft. That season, he had 121 tackles to lead the team.
    Posted by Toss2Moss[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, ILB has been the key on defense with the run defense. The problem isn't really Bruschi's age, but that the team hasn't had a legit replacement for Ted Johnson since he retired. McKenzie could have been that guy. In the short term, we may do well taking a look at Napoleon Harris as the ILB on running downs. Otherwise, we'll have to live with Guyton or Bruschi or perhaps AD. Guyton is the one to watch whether he has taken the next step in his development. It will be interesting to see what kind of athleticism that Guyton and Mayo have going into August. Tinoisamoa is not the answer. He is too similar in size to last year's Guyton and Mayo. We need someone who can take on an offensive lineman and make a play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely, ILB has been the key on defense with the run defense. The problem isn't really Bruschi's age, but that the team hasn't had a legit replacement for Ted Johnson since he retired. McKenzie could have been that guy. In the short term, we may do well taking a look at Napoleon Harris as the ILB on running downs. Otherwise, we'll have to live with Guyton or Bruschi or perhaps AD. Guyton is the one to watch whether he has taken the next step in his development. It will be interesting to see what kind of athleticism that Guyton and Mayo have going into August. Tinoisamoa is not the answer. He is too similar in size to last year's Guyton and Mayo. We need someone who can take on an offensive lineman and make a play.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Harris would likely be a good acquisition. He could turn out to be another Roman Phifer type. He has the prerequisite size to fit the Pats' system (6'3", 253lbs.).

OLB who can rush the passer are few and far between. The only guy that I could think of who might help out, and be had at a reasonable price, is Derrick Burgess of the Raiders...who is in the last year of his contract.

Any other ideas on this?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

tinoisamoa is much smaller than mayo and guyton. i know he is officially listed at 240, but if you check st. louis press reports he is generally considered to be 220 or under. however, he is fast and athletic and a good tackler and could still be helpful on the pats, maybe in the hybrid linebacker/safety role that rodney played so well. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Tinoisamoa is a good player, but he is definitely not the pass rusher the Pats need. He has 10 sacks in 6 seasons. The Pats need someone who can get 10 sacks in one season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Sometimes I wonder about the folks who post here.  If we have concerns about the pass rush don't you think Belichick also notices this?  Thomas is the solution here.  We can throw others at the coverage LB since we have gotten better with the LB speed in general.  Thomas will be our rushing LB something I think he's been chompin' at the bit at.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Actually gary I think Thomas has to move inside unless Bruschi rejuvenates, Guyton morphs into a guard pulverizing beast, or Appleby is the next coming of Jerod Mayo. 

Our D was at its best the first half of 2007, with Thomas inside.  We've got 4 serviceable OLBs - Woods and TBC both have experience starting at OLB in our system.  Redd and Crable have a year learning the system and will hopefully be adequate backups.  Thomas inside can stop the run (Guyton can't), cover the middle (Bruschi can't) and get pressure on the QB (no one else can at ILB - sorry but how many sacks did Mayo have last year?). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

To me Thomas is the only one who can do the rush thing.  I don't see anybody else.  Bruschi is going to play with a rotation with somebody.  Take your pick.  I see Thomas as our only hope to be consistant at the pass rush.  However, what you say makes sense.  But if you bring Thomas inside who's the OLB that rushes the QB?  I'd hate to think that it would be Banta-Cain on a daily basis.