John Clayton from ESPN predicting N.E. to go 10-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

John Clayton from ESPN predicting N.E. to go 10-6

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4446985

We all know how well a team does is largely predicated on how well they avoid the injury bug but what are YOUR "realistic" regular season record predictions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

Re: John Clayton from ESPN predicting N.E. to go 10-6

Luv the haters. Too easy to dis this guy, and the thread. 14-2 is the best available? DB's take a hike.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

What a supreme moron!

And I'm sure the fact that the Pats finally decided they had had enough of ESPN's garbage and stopped talking to them has nothing to do with this "prediction". Or the little smear campaign when they tried to convince people the Pats were looking into the human tash can Vick. Or any of the other petty little garbage they've pulled over the last few years. No sane intelligent human being that knows anything about football thinks that the Pats going 10-6 is realistic. It's just another childish cheap shot by a joke of a network that hates the Pats.

Between the incompetence and the rampant agendas anyone of any intelligence stopped taking ESPN seriously a long time ago.

The ESPNs, Ron Borges' and John Tomases' of the world can predict ridculous garbage, flat out lie and spew hate all year long. As much as it kills them, they know deep down inside that it's not going to make one bit of difference on the field. The Pats are poised for another Superbowl run. And there's nothing any of those fools can do about it. It's eating them up inside.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

What an idiot. I guess he thinks that Casell is better than Brady too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Did he say who the SIX losses will go to?  Surprising to think he REALLY believes the Pats, with Brady, will be worse than last year.  Even their D is somewhat improved over last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

10-6 is a bit harsh.  I'll go with the consensus of 12-4, but will not be surprised if we do better.  Not to sound like a Peter King junkie, but he brought up a good point in his MMQB column today.  In all of his years of writing, he has never seen a team lose as many cornerstone players as the Patriots have this year.  To make things worse, they were all on Defense.  

I still think the O will need to carry the team the fist half of the season, and that our D will start to gel and be pretty darn good after that.  To all those who think we can lose so many key players and not miss a beat, you are as delusional as the folks who think our year is lost.  We are going to pay a price for the losses, but the price will not be 6 games.  If our offense was simply average, then yes, we would suffer a heavier penalty.  Gotta figure BB knows our O will be very good, and he's using the opportunity to reshape the D while we can do so and get away with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

I have very little doubt our D will be our best in many years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

But, regarding losing our Defensive cornerstone's, it's tough to put that much value as to ON THE FIELD PLAYS in Bruschi and Harrison, even Vrabel last season.  Harrison went out against Denver, Vrabel was hurt with nagging injuries and did not have the season he had in 2007 where he was just a total ball hawk, and Bruschi would not have seen much time this year.  With high profile events like Seymour being traded and Bruschi retiring so close together, to use a bad cliche, the smoke is bigger than the fire.  That these players were going to be gone within a year from now was a foregone conclusion, and BB knew it. 

But, in terms of leadership and character off the field and in the locker room, that could be a very tough situation, and there's no way to replace those guys in that sense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Does anyone really care what this guy thinks?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: John Clayton from ESPN predicting N.E. to go 10-6:
    [QUOTE]But, regarding losing our Defensive cornerstone's, it's tough to put that much value as to ON THE FIELD PLAYS in Bruschi and Harrison, even Vrabel last season.  Harrison went out against Denver, Vrabel was hurt with nagging injuries and did not have the season he had in 2007 where he was just a total ball hawk, and Bruschi would not have seen much time this year.  With high profile events like Seymour being traded and Bruschi retiring so close together, to use a bad cliche, the smoke is bigger than the fire.  That these players were going to be gone within a year from now was a foregone conclusion, and BB knew it.  But, in terms of leadership and character off the field and in the locker room, that could be a very tough situation, and there's no way to replace those guys in that sense.
    Posted by JDonalds75[/QUOTE]

I'd add to your leadership off the field some on the field elements.  When the game plan on D isn't quite going as planned, the leaders keep the young guys from going into panic mode.  They can say "been there and done that, don't worry".  I'm all for investing for the future, and the time to do it on D is when our offense is stellar.  I just think it's unrealistic to expect that we will suffer no penalty whatsoever for the high turnover.  I doubt BB expects no penalty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]I have very little doubt our D will be our best in many years.
    Posted by noncallcity[/QUOTE]

It won't take much to improve upon last year, but the best in many years?  Give the new players at least a season under their belt first.  Sometimes I mistake the Wild Turkey 101 for Kool-Aid too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I think most football intellects know that Clayton is an idiot. He doesnt know football or how to analyze it, he just reports rumors, leads, stories, he is no analyst, so who cares what he says.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Patriots 12-4
    Dolphins 7-9  --- 9-7 if Henne replaces Pennington as starter (see vertical                                      passing game).
    Jets 6-10
    Bills 4-12  -- (Jauron  first coach fired)

Steelers 11-5
    Ravens 10-6
    Bengals 6-10 -- (Marvin Lewis last year as Bengals coach)
    Browns 4-12

Colts 10-6
    Texans 9-7 --(If Schaub stays healthy)
    Titans 9-7 -- (If Collins gets hurt---- 7-9)
    Jaguars 8-8

Chargers 12-4  (record is inflated by week division-- Norv Turner still horrible                         coach
    Chiefs 6-10
    Raiders 6-10
    Broncos 3-13

Giants 11-5
    Eagles 10-6
    Redskins 8-8
    Cowboys 8-8  (Wade Phillips gets canned @ end of season)

Packers 10-6 
    Vikings 10-6
    Bears 8-8
    Lions 4-12 

Panthers 9-7
    Saints 9-7
    Falcons 8-8
    Buccaneers 5-11

Seahawks 9-7
    Cardinals 7-9 --- (no superbowl losing team has made playoffs following season                             for a long time).
    49ers 7-9
    Rams 4-12

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

Well he had a deadline and he had to write SOMETHING.

The main point not being that the Pats will be (only) 10-6, and the worst record of AFC Division Winners...   The main point being that -
     - by virtue of the NFC picking up 2 AFC Castoff QB's in Farve and Cutler...  they mystically suddenly are better than the AFC.

- he makes the case better that the MIGHT win more inter-conference regular season games THIS year, but only by virture that the strongest NFC Division will be playing the weakest AFC division.

The fact that he's listed the Pats at 10-6 was probably more about backing into supporting that (if he even gave it that much thought) as any statement about the Pats themselves.

Like I said:  he had a deadline and had to write SOMETHING.

But...  anything for the Locker-Room Bulletin board.

(Where's Rodney?  He'd inflame this and make it personal like nobody else.) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]10-6 is a bit harsh.  I'll go with the consensus of 12-4, but will not be surprised if we do better.  Not to sound like a Peter King junkie, but he brought up a good point in his MMQB column today.  In all of his years of writing, he has never seen a team lose as many cornerstone players as the Patriots have this year.  To make things worse, they were all on Defense.   I still think the O will need to carry the team the fist half of the season, and that our D will start to gel and be pretty darn good after that.  To all those who think we can lose so many key players and not miss a beat, you are as delusional as the folks who think our year is lost.  We are going to pay a price for the losses, but the price will not be 6 games.  If our offense was simply average, then yes, we would suffer a heavier penalty.  Gotta figure BB knows our O will be very good, and he's using the opportunity to reshape the D while we can do so and get away with it.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Yea, I agree, BB defenses always get better as the season goes on unless really raveged by injury. I think he is using the good O to buy time to get younger and faster and cheaper on D.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

By looking at his projections for the upcoming season, it appears that he's indicating that there will be overwhelming parity in the AFC rather than stating that the Pats will be a mediocre team.  I don't by this for the simple fact that teams such as Miami and NY Jets were teams that were decent last year but sucked the year prior.  The problem is that when you post up a good record, it means that your stregnth of schedule will usually be tougher during the following year.  Does anyone believe that Miami and/or the Jets are going to sneak up on anyone again this season (I don't)?

The Ravens have lost several good players and their defensive coordinator now coaches the Jets, and I haven't even mentioned their aging defense yet!  Tennessee lost it's best player (Haynesworth) to the Redskins, how might that affect them? 

Frankly San Diego should be favored to be a lot better than a 12-4 team by default for the simple fact that they get to beat up on the Broncos, Raiders, & Cheifs (all of whom should be horrendous this year).

Honestly though, I feel that he basically tried to be very safe in his projections, and did not go out on the limb for any team.  Although there is parity in the NFL, it's nowhere near to the extent that he's predicting.  I feel that the Pats will be either 12-4 or 13-3, win the division, and play the Steelers in the AFC championship game.  Unfortunately, until I see a couple of games to see how the defense adjusts to Seymour not being there, I have to assume that if the Pats and Steelers were to meet in the AFC Championship, that the Steelers would prevail with their running game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

Just look at the guy.....

Go to fullsize image       Go to fullsize image 
    Enough said!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

What a Doooshhhh. Clayton doesn't know what side of the Jockstrap goes in front. The only ESPN analyst worth anything is Adam Schefter. The rest are Anti Patriots or Anti Belichick. Miami takes a huge step back this year, Jets will do nothing this year with a rookie QB, and Buffalo is Buffalo. How many straight wins do we have on them I lost count. Indy has a Coaching change. San Diego will fold once again in the Playoffs. Pitt will not repeat. I see The Pats and Baltimore in the AFC Championship. Hopefully the Giants make the Super Bowl can't wait for Payback

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

John Clayton was mildly entertaining as Sean Salisbury' b*tch a few years back, but realistically, you could get equally accurate NFL analysis from scratching your dog's head as you can listening to Mr. Peepers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crasian. Show crasian's posts

In Response to John Clayton from ESPN predicting N.E. to go 10-6:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4446985 We all know how well a team does is largely predicated on how well they avoid the injury bug but what are YOUR "realistic" regular season record predictions?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Just more stuff for Bill to put on the BOARD to fire up the run for '09! Us against the world part 2 electric boogaloo!!! Fire it UP!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

With this offense and defense, cold nasty Foxboro is no advantage around playoff time anymore...the Pat's can go play in Miami, Indy or SD and strafe them. 

22. This post has been removed.