Jonathan Dwyer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

Jonathan Dwyer

Dwyer might have had a bad combine but as watched this video of him i think he should be takened with the 53rd pick, because he shows great strength, good break away speed, and good quickness to elude tackles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Jonathan Dwyer

Dwyer has to lose some weight and show that he commited to playing football. Hardesty and Blount could also be late 2nd round picks for the Pats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

LenDale White 2.0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree with John Hannah! - I'm thinking more like Hardesty and Blount as possible late 2nd's....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Agree with Ben Tate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Id take a chance on Blount - the guy would be a great addition for the patriots - if somehow they can get him in either the 3rd or 4th rounds. granted they pick up a 3rd rounder in a trade. Think Blount would be a great back to have within the redzone and during the 4th quarter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from deville220. Show deville220's posts

Would love to get Ben Tate but we will need to move into the 3rd round to grab him after his showing at the Combine and Pro Day.  He is an all-around RB that every team should want.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Dwyer:
    Would love to get Ben Tate but we will need to move into the 3rd round to grab him after his showing at the Combine and Pro Day.  He is an all-around RB that every team should want.
    Posted by deville220

Tate is worth the 53rd pick, I would not mind him being the last pick in the 2nd.  He has it all, big back with speed and has above average hands.  He was used as a WR at Auburn in some of their packages, would love to see him or Toby Gerhart picked in the 2nd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Ben Tate is my guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

Agree with Ben Tate.
    Posted by rocher

I change my mind Ben Tate needs to be taken with the 53rd pick he's 5'11 220 lbs. and ran a 4.34 40-time and also benched 25 reps at the combine would be a pick up

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deville220. Show deville220's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Dwyer : Tate is worth the 53rd pick, I would not mind him being the last pick in the 2nd.  He has it all, big back with speed and has above average hands.  He was used as a WR at Auburn in some of their packages, would love to see him or Toby Gerhart picked in the 2nd.
    Posted by Pats7393

I certainly don't mind using our last 2nd rounder on Tate since I think so highly of him; however, we do have the Raiders 1st rounder for next year so I think we can wait on an RB this year without having to reach a bit (reaching relative to where "pros" have him).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I agree on Ben Tate.. he's a solid back who could do a lot of things for this offense. 

A lot of scouts worry about Dwyer's lateral agility and his side-to-side move-making ability.  McFadden didn't have much of it, as well have other backs who were highly rated and never lived up to it.  They're starting to learn that it's something a back needs to have to be successful.  I agree.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Blount is not a 2nd rounder with those character issues either. 
    Posted by russgriswold

We could use a couple of players that want to punch someone in the mouth. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a Gerhart guy, but I miss when the Pats had attitude.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Dwyer has to lose some weight and show that he commited to playing football. Hardesty and Blount could also be late 2nd round picks for the Pats.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

I'll 2nd that! While reading various news outlets, they question the kids desire for football. And his production was more system than skill related. I like Hardesty as well. He's a 1 cut runner who doesnt shy away from contact. And he's got a lil wiggle to him, too. Blount I havent seen much of. Well, besides the club punch that the 4 letter network replayed about a million times.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

Ah'right my homies...
    Jonathen Dwyer and LeGarette Blount In a NE Based Offensive System:

~
    NOW, As you ALL know (cause I been singin' dis tune for awhile), NE has a smaller O-Line built for pass-blocking above running.  So alright, Tom Brady, FANASTIC Qb obviously...What's his best trait?  Imo, Neither accuracy or his reads-It's Tom Brady's pocket prescence.  Over and over, We've come to see how Brady has some uncanny almost sixth sense in the passing pocket, In terms of sensing pressure.  BUT see, Tom Brady ain't the fastest dude people, and he doesn't roll out very often, heck-Brady doesn't even have trully much lateral agility at all, YET he makes up for this 99.9% of the time by simply sensing where and moreso, WHEN the pressure's comin'.   So what does Brady do when dropping back, In order to make up for the fact that even though He has that superb "feel" for pressure, He STILL has that limitation in range?  
         Well, Brady does fantastically what Great QBs do=Ideally makes himself a Perfect target for those DEs, by dropping back far enough and sittin' far back there for just that perfect fraction of a second...  AND what do those DEs do?  A: EXACTLY what Brady wants them to do, Rather than doin some outward stunt then trying to swoop towards the inside of Brady's Offensive Tackles, Those DEs instead see that Brady's a sittin' duck back there, and those DEs very often try to circle wide, Around Brady's OTs... 
         Now, even though this happens more often than not, DEs aren't gonna be fooled forever, So Brady and Co. gotta do certain things so that these DEs really HAVE to try to attack Tom Brady by going wide.  FIRST, Again is the fact that Brady drops very far back, and even at times does a quick outward step back there, Only just short enough to sidestep back to the inside (acting as further bait so those DEs go wide).  Brady's OTs can and DO help matters by cheating to the inside, just a fraction more... "BUT," you guys ask, "When Brady's OTs cheat inward even a hair, AND with those DEs goin' wide around them...WON'T Brady get totally creamed by those DEs burning by the outside of Tom Brady's OTs?"  AnswerNOPE...Because, it's designed that way...

SO, Tom Brady's best trait is his sixth sense in his pocket prescence, right?  BUT EVEN MORE Specific, WHAT precisely is Brady great at doin' in that pocketANSWER: Tom Brady is the best QB who has ever lived in his knowledge and skills at knowing exactly when to "Step-Up" in the pocket.  Brady WANTS those DEs to go wide...AND when those DEs start gettin' smart and Begin either bull-rushing to the inside of those OTs OR stunt outside and try to turn by those OTs inward as well, Tom Brady's "Cheating by just an inch inward" OTs are ready for them...AND they can far more often than not, get the better of those DEs.  So those DEs end up goin' wide, Seein' Brady back there as bait coupled with gettin' swallowed up by Brady's stay-at-home "inward cheatin'" OTs, MAN...they almost have to go wide. 
         AND Tom Brady and Co. wants them too, In order for Brady to be able o enact his ultimate trait=Stepping Up towards the LOS...AT Which point Brady's OG-C-OG trio is usually handling two 4-3 DTs, or even one 3-4 NT=Good odds for Brady.  So, Tom Brady WILL then either have enough time to pass from that inward center pocket, OR If those 4-3 DTs (or 3-4 NT) are good enough to be collapsing the pocket from the inside, After he's stepped-up, Tom Brady can simply step wide to the outside of that close to the LOS passing pocket=BECAUSE those DEs are usually now in NO-Man's Land, so far to the outside circling wide behind Brady's OTs...So those DEs can either try to follow Brady by going totally wide around Brady's OTs and trying to get Brady from behind OR those DEs can do a spin-move and try to go back to the inside of that OT.  But the result is the same=Brady has either passed the ball already, OR Brady has enough time to do a sidestep scoot into between left by those wide-circling DEs IF and WHEN those DTs are collapsing his forward pocket, ya dig? 

Overall, It's brilliantly played out...AND It worked for years.  So Laz, What HappenedA: The Giants happened...

Some freakin' nobel-prize winning Defensive Strategist on the NY Giants saw how ALL this was being played out.  AND, that dude saw how he could triumph over NE's little secret technique...  

So Laz, What did that Giant's guy strategize, and you do know that this IS a Jonethen Dwyer thread, right...Dear God, WHAT exactly does this have to do, at least, WITH The Patriots Running GameA: Everything...

Mr. NY Giant Coach says to himself, "Man, that NE Offense is simply a juggernaut.  DOES it have any weaknesses, that I can ideally exploit WITH any strength I have on my NY Giants Defense?"  And somehow, someway, God for the first time in The History of Mankind, Gave someone from New York BOTH Salvation And an actual...err- Intelligent Thought.  Ny Giants guy goes, "Well O.k., I found out that NE likes pullin' this little stunt on DEs, by both baitin' those DEs to go wide AND NE's OTs cheatin' inward to limit those DEs when they finally try to inside between Brady's OT-OG...So HowTH can I stop this?"  WELL, He found out...  Mr. NY Giants Coach figures to send his DTs shootin' gaps like bats-outta-he!!.  BUT Laz, Unlike in a 3-4 Defense, where those 3 D-Lineman are tasked with occupyin' 2 seperate holes (i.e. those gaps between each and every O-Lineman), 4-3 D-Lineman are tasked with attemptin' to shoot between 1 single gap, or space between any of those O-Lineman, As it is anyways...SO, What's the difference?  
         The difference lies between a Defense gameplan that at least initially has those 4-3 DEs "stay at home" near the LOS, and not be so...well, psychotic.  It was almost as IF this NY Giants Defensive Freak, Had his two 4-3 DEs, play like 3-4 DEs=FAR less attacking, gap-shootin' style, and FAR more "heads-up" and watch play develop, AND Do NOT either be baited into going so far wide that you run yourself outta the play, BUT just go "wide-enough" So Brady do what he does anyways...STEP-UP.  AND When Brady DOES step-up, Those speed -single-gap shootin' DTs are spearheadin' between single gaps of that Interior Offensive Line, and thus collapsing that inward "step-up" center passing pocket...WITH those DEs just doin' enough in being just attacking enough to the outside, but FAR, Far more "heads up" play to turn back inside in their own right so Brady trully DOES do what Brady wants to do anyway, DROP far back, sense some outside of those OT's, DE pressure, sep-up, THEN *Smack=No inside pocket, and can't even do some quick side-step when there in any other time there was a pocket collapse from DTs (or an NT) anyway, BY shuttling forward and then sidestepping forward to where that DE (who was usually long-gone wide around)...BECAUSE that DE is "staying back at home in his more original place"...That DE is playing less attack, and more contain.

SHHEZ, Laz, WhatTH does this have to do with NE's Running GameA: The Defensive Strategy NY used is PERFECT, Given NE's 2007 Running Game.  Lawrence Maroney = 5'11 and @ 218lbs at the time...Not tiny, BUT In NO way, a big dude.  Maroney's Favorite Style of How to Run the Football=Far more hesitation overall, and a "Wait and See" attitude and technique for the Running Hole to develop...  Which...lmao, Man=That don't work too well with NE's smaller, built for pass-blocking O-Line as it is, BECAUSE unlike certain teams that love and draft these massive behemoth O-Lineman like Philly, Dallas, and even Minnesotta, New England Drafts quicker, lighter O-Lineman, Built far more for agility and good-footwork in protecting Brady in his passing game and built far less for Running the football...  What's the result?  Well, Even IF you do some sort of O-Line zone-blocking in order to run the ball, Your O-Line is STILL not going to be as good at "engulfing" (swallowing up) those D-Lineman, like a team with more massive O-Lineman can. 
         FURTHER:  Your team now has for their #1 RB, a guy who patiently waits for a running lane to develop...Maroney, as we ALL know, Ain't Huge and Ain't a Between-the-Tackles Banger...Maroney Hesitates and Dances behind the LOS, tries to hit the hole after it's developed, then (IF it's inside, and he does make it through the hole), Maroney would much rather shy from contact by attemptin' to break the run to the outside.  THIS overall running style, would be a just fine running technique on a team that deploys those Massive O-Lineman that better engulf Defenders...BUT on the design of The New Patriots Offensive Line...IT S#CKS!  It don't fit... 

But, Who Cares, right?  It's a passing league and Brady's the Best, AND Brady's Offense was a freakin FORCE in 2007.  It DOES matter...Because a team will simply do what that NY Giants Guru had his D-Lineman do...IT WAS THIS:  Have those DEs go just enough wide, but overall play almost like 2-gapping "Heads Up" stay-at-home 3-4 DEs are tasked to play.  And THEN By God, HAVE those 2 DTs spearheadin' through interior gaps like BATS OUTTA HE!!...Caring NOT 1 single bit about NE's Running Game and caring almost SINGULARLY with gettin' to Tom Brady by Collapsing that inside pocket...
         ...BECAUSE:  #1) NE didn't have much of a Running Game #2) The Running Game NE DID have was LM as NE's #1 RB...Hesitancy, Patient, OVER Quick-to-the-hole & Smashmouth between the Tackles...  And So, ALL this EQUALS #3) On Running Plays, Those 2 DTs, by shootin' gaps, will either Meet Maroney going through a hole OR simply put enough of a hand/body on him to slow him even further down, for the LB to swoop in and tackle the smaller, hesitating Maroney, WHILE those DEs stay more at home, so they're perfectly situated to BOTH stop Brady from squeezing between Brady's OT (wanting to push the DE far wide) and Brady's interior OL, AND limit any outside threat by Maroney in the Running Game.  

OVERALL, It was Both Simple and BrilliantCollapse Interior Pocket for Brady stepping up, Have the DEs remain patient and heady, and have those DTs spearheadin' like looney's that couldn't care 1 bit about NE's smaller, hesitating RBs.

~CONCLUSION#1) The New England Patriots NEED a RunningBack in order to keep the Oppossing Defense "Honest" (play-action, balanced offense, 2nd half ball-control, etc), #2) The New England Patriots NEED for their System a Bigger, Between the tackles RB, who HITS the hole fast & hard and BREAKS tackles (IF he's elusive, great/IF he's fast, great...but the first 2 qualities are essential)...BECAUSE #3) DEFENSES ARE FAR MORE PRIVY After the NE/NY SB of:  Brady's O-Line that is built for speed & agility over engulfing size, Brady's best trait being stepping up into the inward forward pocket and/or then also sidestepping where those DEs originally were, and a smaller hesitating, patient RB perfectly counterbalancing and negating BOTH Brady's best trait and being NO true threat on his own accord, IF you shoot DTs like crazy AND keep DEs more at home=BOTH counteracts small RB and minor running game AND Brady's pocket prescence.

~SECOND CONCLUSIONWithin This 2010 NFL Draft, I see NO Runningback that encompases ALL these qualities that are utterly critical imho:
    Dude's gotta be at least 6'0 and imo at least 235 lbs...He's gotta be able to hit the hole fast and hard and make that first defender miss/break the tackle...  Ideally, I'd like that RB to have enough speed to be a home-run threat on his own after making it through the hole AND decent cutting & lateral moves without losing much or any running speed

Choices Are
    Dwyer... I initially LOVED 'em, and though he'd be perfect.  Watched several of his highlights=Upstanding character, unreal lateral agility and cutting without losing ANY speed (someone said NO on this...LMAO-what tape did you watch!), Very good at breaking tackles, Originally Listed @ 6'1 and 235lbs with 4.44 40 speed=PERFECT FIT...  Lmao, then came the combine=Dude weighed still 235-240, but somehow managed to lose 2 inches in his height over the course of the year, Lmao, and he ran something like a 4.59 40 speed=Gotta now question, speed, size AND dedication to certain degress.
    Blount... Great physical tangibles.  Simply levels people...Has enough speed to be somewhat of a threat, modest lateral moves...FINE.  But lmao, Likes being overweight for camp time and time again AND hitting oppossing players in the face while also trying to climb up in the stands to attack fans too=Very nice, very nice.
    Gerhart...  Excellent size.  Simply unreal leadership and intelligence and dedication INtangibles...  Lmao, ZERO cutting ability...and I mean zero.  Mid 4.5 speed, coupled with no cutting ability and an extremely upright running style, Doesn't sell me on Gerhart being the final answer here on this one.

~Anyone else?  No...great, fine, swell, grand...  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

interesting insight laz. you may have put a finger to why i have a hard time choosing an rb for my mock. the highest that i have picked a rb is at 53, i believe hardesty, yet even that is not a pick that i have conviction for. i just struggle to find anyone in the draft who could be a 3-down back (requires versatility in ne's system), who would not turn out to be like maroney.

so what is the solution this year? it would be nice if they could solve their running game by flipping things and drafting a big OL (by your description of the problem, an OG or C). this year though, i don't know if there will be any left that would make sense at ne's picks.

if i remember correctly, there are seven teams in the top 10 picks who gave up 40 or more sacks. despite what the experts are saying, seeing 6 OLs go in the top 10 is plausible. add to that SF who might go for an OT, while Pit probably will pick Pouncey. after that, i don't believe any of the remaining OLs deserves to picked in the 2nd round. and i don't think Velheer (if that is his name) will be there in the 4th.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

LAZ- You attack the issue like Maroney hitting the hole.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

based on what laz said at the bottom of his novel-length post blount appears to be the best option.  BB has a history of sorting out character issues and i expect no less if the patriots pick up blount in the 2nd round.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]LAZ- You attack the issue like Maroney hitting the hole.
    Posted by Cyberknot[/QUOTE]
    LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"LAZ- You attack the issue like Maroney hitting the hole."

See, I look at My Topic choices, just a bit differently.  I look at issues of subject matter, As THE ENEMY.  I try beat the issue down completely and in a totally devasting factor...wear him down, eventually knock him to the ground, smash him into the turf and then step on his face, and possibly hit him with a brick...then take his girlfriend & his ride. 
         Overall ya see, THIS accomplishes a few things: Every aspect of the "enemy" is Beaten in a complete fashion.  The "enemy" is so ruthlessness devasted, ANY possible "repercussion" within this "bout" is simply rejected by BOTH the enemy, and his supporters...Immediately AND In the Future.  Pssh, and people think I'M crazy...  Lol see, I'd look at it more like: Intelligently scheming in a well carried out  design in technique...And THEN, yea-freakin' crazy as a bat.