Just exactly what is the plan here?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Just exactly what is the plan here?

Is the plan here to keep some get rid of some, let some go and sign no one else? HELP!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Just exactly what is the plan here?

punt

Edit: Sorry about the stupid one-liner but I had just finished reading two very long similar posts and got a bit frustrated here. The Pats are not done dealing, I think people underestimate the signing of their own free agents, and they will make a splash or two before the draft. 3/10/10 10:34 PM

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamBelichick. Show TeamBelichick's posts

DRAFT DAY  PRAY

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Draft picks are gold.  Free agents are a fool's gold.  Pick your spots to pick up a Free Agent.  But build through the draft. That's the way good teams are built.  Washington is always the king of the free agent season---and look where it gets them.  This year Chicago took the crown out of desperation---Lovie Smith will be available as a coordinator next year.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The plan is to bring back the exact same team as last year minus Jarvis Green (who needs pass rushers?) and expect different results.

They weren't very good last year, but apparently that doesn't matter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

yeah Schump, that's their plan. Belichick clearly doesn't want to win. 

You are also correct on Jarvis Green. Remember all those key sacks he had last year? Remember how he completely took over the spot vacated by Seymour? Oh yeah, he was a total no show last year that is 100% behind Mike Wright at this point. So yeah, they'll miss him a ton. 

It's incredibly clear you're trying to be negative when you whine about the loss of Jarvis Green's pass rush. That's just a complete joke. Green has been a complete disappointment the last few years and it's hilarious how far you'll reach to find something negative. Who needs pass rushers? The pats do, and that's why they'll draft one high in the draft that can play. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

It's embarrassing that the Miami dolphin fan is more positive about the Pats than Pats 'fans'. I don't care if you are a season ticket holder for 40 years shump, you just seem like a whiny brat of a fan. Look into being a jets fan and do us all a favor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

when was the last time the colts or steelers made big free agent acquisitions?  The top teams build via the draft.  how did haynesworth fair last season?  A lot of players in this league are system players and its usually not worth investing a ton of money into someone who may not even work in your system. 

Build through the draft and sign mid to low level FA's to serve as short term answers or provide veteran leadership.

No need to waste a ton of money on one player.

What we should be worried about is if the pats are gonna hit or not in this draft, and if we'll be able to develop our younger players...dont worry about FA

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The Patriots have handled this the right way in my opinion they first took care of what they needed to in house and they made offers to the Free Agents they had an intrest in at the level they were willing to pay and if they got out bid that was fine because they had second tier guys that filled the need they could go after.

You will see them sign Crumpler likely before the weekend, and he will be a huge part of the offense. I won't go into all the reasons why as I have outlined them elsewhere.

Next you will see them sign a couple more Free Agents before the draft that fit the needs of the team and they will get Mankins done up long term, and Ghost as well.

After that you will see them focus on the draft and they are major players in this draft.  I am very high on the Patriots handling of this off season so far.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In Response to Re: Just exactly what is the plan here?:
    Draft picks are gold.  Free agents are a fool's gold.  Pick your spots to pick up a Free Agent.  But build through the draft. That's the way good teams are built.  Washington is always the king of the free agent season---and look where it gets them.  This year Chicago took the crown out of desperation---Lovie Smith will be available as a coordinator next year.   
    Posted by oggieman

Draft picks WOULD be gold if you could succeed at selecting quality players during the draft. This has not happened for a while. Mayo being the exception. I'm not saying to sign Peppers, but there were a lot of good quality players going manyto other places.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Ok, name the players besides Peppers you wanted in NE that are gone? Thomas Jones? Maybe. But i think it's a stretch to go much further than that. Without the Jet's oline T Jones isn't special (which may be the reason that the Jets are willing to go with a second year back). 

Their draft was gold last year. Vollmer was an excellent pick, and Chung, Butler, Edelmen, and Pryor have potential to be above average players. That's damn good for not having a high pick. Brace may have been a mistake, but it's too early to rule him out. I think your statement is way off. 

In Response to Re: Just exactly what is the plan here? : Draft picks WOULD be gold if you could succeed at selecting quality players during the draft. This has not happened for a while. Mayo being the exception. I'm not saying to sign Peppers, but there were a lot of good quality players going manyto other places.
    Posted by jozee76

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

In Response to Just exactly what is the plan here?:
    Is the plan here to keep some get rid of some, let some go and sign no one else? HELP!!!
    Posted by jozee76

To keep Pats fans guessing!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

The plan build a long term winner through the draft and hopefully continued improvements from the rookies and 2nd year players last season. As mentioned in another post before the draft the Pats will add a few players (WR, TE, LB) to the team but won't make a huge splash in Free Agency. Still think next year might look a lot like last year, but with a good draft and the right moves that take the future for this team into account we'll see a few more Lombardi's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Improve through the draft like very other champion team, and not ring up a bill on psychotic vets to appease petulant fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Posted by jozee76

No the plan is to torment dopey fans and ex-player commentators who never contemplated building a team, by being financially prudent and not overpaying for semi-decent guys that probably wouldn't be a good fit and/or has-beens and locker room cancers in the first FIVE DAYS of the league year.  That's the plan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Wow that is a deluded comment on the draft... Mayo is the only decent pick in recent years... lets just look at the last 3:
    2007:
    New England used a second and 7th round pick for Wes Welker... A Home run there, and then used a 4th round pick for Randy Moss another Home run. Now admittedly they are not draft picks used for College players but I am evaluating their use of draft picks to improve the team. Their first round pick was Brandon Merriweather a Safety that is still developing and is already a solid starter. And used a 5th for Clint Oldenberger OT. The rest of the picks were guys that had a shot at making other teams but most had no shot to make such a deep team with the exception of Elgin a 7th round pick for Center, and Mike Richardson a CB.
    2008:
    1st round Pick was Mayo a potential Patriot Hall of Famer if not NFL H of Famer. Terrance Wheatley second round pick was a solid pick considering how the 2008 draft was 15 players deep in 1st round tallent and we were picking at the end of the draft. Crable and O'Connel were 3rd round picks and Crabel may be a solid pick if he is finally healthy... jury is still out there. Wilhite in the 4th round was a find because he has stuck with a team that has some depth at most positions.  So 2008 was light with the exception of Mayo but that was not the fault of the Patriots it was a less then ideal draft class.
    2009:
    Still early to know how they will all pan out just one year into their careers but again this was a down year for depth of tallent and the Patriots decided to trade their first round pick then traded the first round pick they aquired in that trade  right out of the opening round ending up with four 2nd round picks, two 3rd round picks, one 4th round pick, one 5th round pick and two picks in each of the
    6th and 7th rounds. Due to what the draft provided in lack of top tallent the Patriots took the position that more picks equaled more chances to find a diamond in the rough. They may have found four in the second round as Butler if he develops into the starter opposite Bodden I think he can be and Chung presses for time at Safety a position of depth and strength for the Patriots. Vollmer looks like a stud at OT and Brace as I understood it had everything he needed but the technique, which if he can learn at his leisure behind Vince then he was a solid pick as well. 3rd round Pick Brandon Tate is another of those Diamonds that looks like he just may develop into a solid WR. Rich Ohrnberger  was drafted in the 4th round and he is able to play any of the inside spots so he is very valuable. The 6th Round Pick Myron Pryor DL looks like a steal and 7th round pick Julian Edelman might end up being the biggest steal of the whole draft let alone the Patriots draft.

So To say the Patriots drafts have been weak of late is way off in my opinion! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

A deluded comment on the draft?

Let's look at the last 3, REALISTICALLY!

2007:
    No one here is speaking about the trading of picks for players. A totally different subject. Bill has done a GREAT job here! Not 1 complaint. 

A Good Choice- Their first round pick was Brandon Merriweather a Safety that is still developing and is already a solid starter.

All Bad Choices - And used a 5th for Clint Oldenberger OT. The rest of the picks were a total waste of picks here!

2008:
    A Great Pick- 1st round Pick was Mayo. Great Pick!  
    A Solid Pick?- Wheatly, are you kidding? Seroiusly, do you actually watch this guy play? He has been horrible! Crable? So far he's been hurt. So it’s tough to make any decision here. O'Connel - a complete waste of a 3rd round selection!!!

Wilhite? He is terrible, just terrible!!! Please, I'd take (Gulp) Ellis Hobbs!

A total waste of a pick so far.

2009:
    Butler- So far he is just ok, and I mean just ok. No more!

Chung- He is ok at best, that’s it!

Vollmer- He could turn out to be a great pick.

Brace- Who the heck knows. So far not so good!

Brandon Tate- If he is healthy he may play a bit, again, so far who knows!

Rich Ohrnberger- Whatever!

Myron Pryor- He may be a career back up, but last pre-season he played well.

IN THE PRE-SEASON!  He’s far from a steal! What games are you people watching?

Julian Edelman- Love the guy! Here is the steal!

So To say the Patriots drafts have been weak (Is true!) of late is way off in my opinion!  (Sorry, you are way off!)

Mayo, Edelman are very good, Merriweather is good, the rest and I mean the rest are ok at best. So just like I said, and thank you for helping me out here, are just ok, no more! How can anyone say different?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Forbes Magazine Says Patriots Are The NFL's Worst Drafters An interesting (though somewhat bizarre) article in Forbes Magazine rating the drafting success of each of the NFL's 32 teams. Here's a thought: Instead of looking at how many draftees make the team's active roster, a better barometer of success might be a survey of the last three years of drafts for all 32 NFL teams.To judge them, we looked at the percentage of players from those three draft classes who were still listed as active members of the team. The results were surprising.The worst team in the NFL?  The New England Patriots.And this analysis still had Kevin O’Connell on their roster!   It's too early to decide how the 2008 guys will turn out.  (Read this) O'Connell might be a great QB -- in fact, he may be starting this year depending on how Brady is doing.  But the previous two draft years, quite frankly, stunk.   Yeah, yeah, I know, the Patriots are a great team, I'm not arguing that.  They have a regular season record of 39-9 over those three seasons so they're usually drafting at the end of the round and they're not looking to draft stars.  I get it, I really do.  But still....man, that's not good.  How many 16-0 seasons would the Patriots have put together with Joseph Addai, Greg Jennings and Leon Washington on their team the past three years?   That's freaking scary. So while I think the Forbes article is flawed in a lot of ways, they do make a good point.  The Patriots have not done well drafting the fantasy positions (except for kicker) the past three years.   Like most people, I had assumed that the Patriots had been draft geniuses. WOW!  I love Bill, and I love the Patriots, but let’s all be a little more realistic, here, this team needs help. Linebacker, Wide Reciever, Corner, etc….) I’m not saying to spend every dime you’ve got, and I am glad that they did not sign peppers, I’d of at least talked to Danby though, but to just re-sign your current players, (Who by the way got whacked in their playoff game) is simply not enough! That’s all, it’s not enough!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

A deluded comment on the draft? Let's look at the last 3, REALISTICALLY! 2007: No one here is speaking about the trading of picks for players. A totally different subject. Bill has done a GREAT job here! Not 1 complaint.  A Good Choice- Their first round pick was Brandon Merriweather a Safety that is still developing and is already a solid starter. All Bad Choices - And used a 5th for Clint Oldenberger OT. The rest of the picks were a total waste of picks here! 2008: A Great Pick- 1st round Pick was Mayo. Great Pick!   A Solid Pick?- Wheatly, are you kidding? Seroiusly, do you actually watch this guy play? He has been horrible! Crable? So far he's been hurt. So it’s tough to make any decision here. O'Connel - a complete waste of a 3rd round selection!!! Wilhite? He is terrible, just terrible!!! Please, I'd take (Gulp) Ellis Hobbs! A total waste of a pick so far. 2009: Butler- So far he is just ok, and I mean just ok. No more! Chung- He is ok at best, that’s it! Vollmer- He could turn out to be a great pick. Brace- Who the heck knows. So far not so good! Brandon Tate- If he is healthy he may play a bit, again, so far who knows! Rich Ohrnberger- Whatever! Myron Pryor- He may be a career back up, but last pre-season he played well. IN THE PRE-SEASON!   He’s far from a steal! What games are you people watching? Julian Edelman- Love the guy! Here is the steal! So To say the Patriots drafts have been weak (Is true!) of late is way off in my opinion!  (Sorry, you are way off!) Mayo, Edelman are very good, Merriweather is good, the rest and I mean the rest are ok at best. So just like I said, and thank you for helping me out here, are just ok, no more! How can anyone say different?
    Posted by jozee76

Dam Jozee..... i must be watching a different  patriot team then you

I thought Pryor played through his shin for a 6th round pick, Hodan the long snapper did a perfect season as a snapper.Edelemen was superb for a 7th
    Sea Bass would be a top 5 pick this year based on what i have seen.
    The rest of 2009 have been solid

I wonder if the Ghost would be considered a bad pick !!

Come on man lighten up with your negetive veiws !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Not trying to be negative just realistic. Love Pryor, let's just wait a bit to see if he can play more then 6 plays a game. Love Edelmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It just cranks me up when posters can't be real about this teams draft history.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Posted by jozee76

The plan is to keep players that have value (based on dollars) and get players that have value (based on dollars).

Same plan as it has always been since BB became HC. Peppers is a great player, but the Pats didn't not think he was worth $40mil guaranteed. The team felt that Vince was worth the $22mil guaranteed and they re-signed him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Agreed Cuban Pete!