Just One More Hurdle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Just One More Hurdle

you cant say enough of what tyrone McKenzie has gone through,and what he still acheived in collage,and football.with the determination this kid has.I cant see him not makeing the team,or starting.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-601/McKenzie-s-journey-to-NFL-an-inspiration.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Just One More Hurdle

Pete Prisco likes Tyrone......

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11680126/rss

Second-day gem: Linebacker Tyrone McKenzie, their fifth-round pick, was a productive player at South Florida who will bring more athleticism to a position that needs it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I agree. He was on and off my mocks, depending on how I had them address other positions up top.

In my final mock I had him at 124 hoping he would be there.

I really think he is going to come on late this upcoming season. Guyton may be faster (4.47 to 4.74), but he isn't even close to as strong (15 reps to 27!!!) or thick or smart. He isn't the high character guy like Tyrone, and doesn't have the nose for the ball, and was never a signal caller.

I am not baggin Guyton here, because I like him. But I would be shocked if a year from now Guyton were taking reps over McKenzie.

He really is nearly the perfect type of ILB to place next to Mayo on a down by down basis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I always thought guyton seemed to fit the outside better because of his quickness.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He has that speed. But not the length they look for or smarts. They tried him there for one game and benched him by the half. I think his lack of effectiveness overall was really signified by bringing Colvin and Seau on late. If he had been a passable starter there wouldn't have been such a need IMO.

Neither player looked very good, they both looked slow and outclassed at times. But they didn't make terrible mistakes. And at least Colvin can stop the run on the edge.

The reason he went undrafted is because he wasn't the brightest bulb as far as book smarts or football IQ. Guyton is more of an athlete than a ballplayer. I think they were smart to grab him, because he is cheap depth that they can coach into a football player. And at the very least he can be what Woods has been, which is quality athletic depth and a fast guy on special teams.

Before the draft I was discussing Crable, Woods, Redd with someone who was bashing them, especially Crable. And I noted that BB tends to draft, covet, and bring in "long" players. Taylor is one of his favorites for a reason. Length is disruptive. Length can trump weight with coaching. Length can take an average zone cover man, and make him into a power forward. Length can turn a near sack into a sack.

I think in Crable we are looking at the prototype for what BB likes. Strong upper body. Great speed. Super long. And good in space. That is a very, very hard type to fill.

George Selvie is potentially that kind of player. Although I will keep watching him to see how I think he can do in space. But his triangle numbers really fall in line, 6'4" 250, mid 4.6 40, and very strong. And by next season he will have a full college career under his belt. If Ne takes a OLB/De in the draft he could be one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

my nephew goes to usf there in tampa,and all i here from him is how good selvie is,and how he would like to see him play for the pats,or buc,s.the pats are his team of heart,but he also roots for the buc,s being where he is now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Before the draft I was discussing Crable, Woods, Redd with someone who was bashing them, especially Crable.

Am I just "someone" to you?  But you have my restored my confidence in Crable as a starting OLB in our system. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Mighty. You are not just someone. But I am not going to throw your name around.

Take it as a sign of respect.

I hope this bit from BB this morning explains to people why they passed on all of these guys, and it really sheds light on our previous discussion about OLB's and archetypes.

Q: Did you agree with [NFL Network Analyst Mike] Mayock that there was a lot of outside linebacker depth? Where would Shawn Crable have rated in this draft?
    BB: I’m not really sure [on Crable]. That’s a good question. I think that the outside linebacker group was a little bit different this year. I mean, generally speaking, I think that there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed
    than what we’ve seen, maybe a little more power with good production. There weren’t a lot of 4.6, 4.65 [40 time] guys. There weren’t a lot of 6-[foot]-4, 6-[foot]-5 guys. I’d say it was a much smaller pool of those types of players.

I think I tracked that one well. For better or for worse BB likes this "type" of OLB. We can't say what the future brings for Crable et al, but at least we know he (they) have the BB vote of confidence.

The way I read that, BB probably would have passed most of these kids and taken Crable anyway. If I read it correctly, it reinvigorates my hopes for this kid down the line. That and the fact that his program has also produced Lamarr Woodley the year before as another OLD/DE tweener.

I think there were players up top that might have tempted them in Orakpo and Maybin. But they were long gone. And I can only explain Barwin by saying that Chung, Butler and Brace are far more finished players with the same kind of upside. So BB likely decided not to shoehorn a player in there. I had all four rated real close together, with Butler being the best prospect, Chung and Brace as 1st/2nd tweeners and Barwin just behind them as a riser who might command a higher pick than his credentials merit, but I felt like Barwin would go sooner than he did, based on versatility and upside that offset his deficiencies in technique and experience. I really liked him second after Larry English at that spot.

But I won't complain. Because in absolute terms the three NE got are better prospects, albeit at three spots they might not need as much short term help in. But the draft is a long term thing I suppose.

I hope they all work out so we can enjoy watching a nasty defense for years to come.

Exciting times my man. This team is getting younger and faster very quickly. They are reloading. That bodes very well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the last i checked we are all someone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

selvie is the guy you want.Mckenzie is good dont get me wrong,but selvie will be the most sought LB next year.if he had came out this year.he would have been,or close running with curry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect81. Show mosseffect81's posts

[QUOTE]selvie is the guy you want.Mckenzie is good dont get me wrong,but selvie will be the most sought LB next year.if he had came out this year.he would have been,or close running with curry.
    Posted by Vladtheimpaler1[/QUOTE]
    WHO IS McKENZIE?WHO IS SELVIE?GET REAL!