Keenan Allen vs Dobson , Boyce !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Keenan Allen vs Dobson , Boyce !!!

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's kind of goofy to whine about the your WRs out of context.

In context, all three young WRs were chosen to compete for 5th option in an offense that ad Hernandez and Gronkowski as projected focal points.  Amendola and Edelman as slots.

Why is this so hard to understand?

[/QUOTE]

So you spent a 2nd round pick as the 5th option? Any GM who does that should be fired. What's next spending a 2nd round pick on a 3rd down back to back up Vereen?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In context, all three young WRs were chosen to compete for 5th option in an offense that ad Hernandez and Gronkowski as projected focal points.  Amendola and Edelman as slots.

[/QUOTE]

So you spent a 2nd round pick as the 5th option? Any GM who does that should be fired. What's next spending a 2nd round pick on a 3rd down back to back up Vereen?

[/QUOTE]

I assume he meant yes for realistic expecations for a rookie, not eventually.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I assume he meant yes for realistic expecations for a rookie, not eventually.

[/QUOTE]

Low at the time Hern, Gronk, Amen were all locked up long term so given his statement he didn't expect Dobson to be anything more than the 4th option at that point. I agree you shouldn't expect too much from a rook, esp at skill positions, but if you are drafting them in the 2nd you're expectations should be a starting caliber player and not to compete for a 5th option otherwise why not just take 3 random UDFA's? Dobson was choosen as a Z flanker which is usually the featured receiver in most systems. Boyce has good speed to fill as a X split end/slot type of role and a starter in a 3 wr set bunched with Amendola who's closer to a Y slot guy then a flanker. Given that Amendola and Edelman both are closer to that Y slot role then flankers it would be safe to assume Edelman was meant as a primary backup to Amendola so Dobson was actually being counted on from day 1 to be the primary Z flanker. In otherwords, when they drafted Dobson it wasn't as a well he's pretty far down the totem pole of options so he can develop it was closer to we need him to step in immediately as a starter. As such, I place the blame on that with the Pats FO to put unrealistic expectations on a draft pick at a skill position and should have added a solid flanker to the WR core before the year started

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to yakv's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB as usual traded down instead of trying to draft a WR or talent player in the first round 

instead we ended up drafting Donson and boyce and signed thompkins as UFA.

had BB tried to get cordarrelle patterson or terrance williams or even allen , but instead we went for boyce and dobson.

the bottom line is that keenan allen looks like the steal of the draft

posting 71 receptions

for 1046 yards 

with 8TD 

compared to dobson: 36 receptions 

513 yards 

3TD 

Boyce : 9 receptions

121 yards 

even if we add thompkins to the equation :

31 receptions 

450 yards 

4TD 

we get that keenan allen produced as out 3 rookies WR , thats not good.

dobson hasnt shown me the ability to create seperation or the ability to fight for balls as a red zone target 

boyce had a non existent year , thompkins was a good surprise but still isnt the guy to go to.

i think we should draft another WR but this time the scouting deperatment has to do a good job after years a failures drafting a WR .

we all had high hopes for taylor price or chad johnson, brandon tate  and you know how that turned out .

[/QUOTE]

If you think Keenan Allen was going to get those numbers on the Pats, you are DAFT! He would have gotten less that Dobsons numbers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

BB as usual traded down instead of trying to draft a WR or talent player in the first round 

had BB tried to get cordarrelle patterson or terrance williams or even allen , but instead we went for boyce and dobson.

posting 71 receptions

for 1046 yards 

with 8TD 

513 yards 

3TD 

121 yards 

31 receptions 

450 yards 

4TD 

dobson hasnt shown me the ability to create seperation or the ability to fight for balls as a red zone target 

boyce had a non existent year , thompkins was a good surprise but still isnt the guy to go to.

i think we should draft another WR but this time the scouting deperatment has to do a good job after years a failures drafting a WR .

we all had high hopes for taylor price or chad johnson, brandon tate  and you know how that turned out .

[/QUOTE]

If you think Keenan Allen was going to get those numbers on the Pats, you are DAFT! He would have gotten less that Dobsons numbers.

[/QUOTE]

why not is rivers  better than tom brady ??

rivers  had his share of targets including gates, malcolm floyd , danny woodhead , eddie royal , but still keenan allen was a go to guy .

in the pats system there was no TE except for gronk and the WR not named edelman did nothing of note , dobson would have not gotten these numbers on the chargers , 

i blame BB on over drafting talent at WR instead of drafting talent in the first round .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

[QUOTE]

posting 71 receptions

for 1046 yards 

with 8TD 

513 yards 

3TD 

121 yards 

31 receptions 

450 yards 

4TD 

why not is rivers  better than tom brady ??

rivers  had his share of targets including gates, malcolm floyd , danny woodhead , eddie royal , but still keenan allen was a go to guy .

in the pats system there was no TE except for gronk and the WR not named edelman did nothing of note , dobson would have not gotten these numbers on the chargers , 

i blame BB on over drafting talent at WR instead of drafting talent in the first round .

[/QUOTE]

All three rookies struggled to pick up the system as did Taylor Price and veteran WRs like Joey Galloway, Tory Holt and Chad Ochocinco. Edelman, in his rookie season, struggled in the system as well and Moss used to tell him where he needed to line up. Only guys who have seemlessly transitioned into the system are Moss, Welker and Collie. Everyone else looked a fool.

The Pats system isn't easy to pick up, why would Allen have mastered it? And Dobson would've had a lot more yards, catches and TD with a more accurate deep ball thrower.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if you think Dobson hasnt shown the ability to seperate you havent been watching. Dobson is a good WR and will surpass Keenan Allen. What you failed to mention is that we not only got Dobson, but we also got Boyce Ryan and Legarret Blount in the pikcs we recieved for #1. So would you rather have Keenan Allen or Dobson, Logan Ryan, Boyce and Blount? Personally I thought Ryan had a great season. Also checking your own math above when you said Allen outperformed all 3 of our WR's; Allen = 71 catches for 1046 yards. Our 3 WR's = 76 catches for 1084 yards. Personally it bothered me much more to see DL Kendall Reyes out there playing well for the Chargers while Tavon Wilson sat on our bench!

[/QUOTE]

Tell me how this works. Keenan Allen was a third rounder. We couldve had all those players plus Allen