Kerry Rhodes and Bernard Pollard were better fits than Adrian Wilson

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Re: Kerry Rhodes and Bernard Pollard were better fits than Adrian Wilson

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Both Rhodes and certainly Pollard would have been better fits for this NE D.  But for some reason, we go after the benchwarming Wilson who can cover anyone.  Oh well, at least the Pats signed Arrington and got rid of Wes.

Hope you have your Kevlar fire suit on. As soon as some of these cats wake up and read this you'll need it. Opinions arent allowed much on this board it seems. Hold on and have an extinguisher handy. THe you-know-whos are coming.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Lots of opinions out there on virtually every Pats related topic (and some non-Pats related) and I don't see any reluctance at sharing them by any poster on the board.

Now to the basic premise of the thread:  I understand your position, now may I ask why you see it that way?  I happen to think Wilson is an excellent fit, brings much needed veteran leadership and experience and by all accounts still has something left.  There's the basis for my view.  Yours?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Uh oh...Rusty is going to be mad at you! This thread will have at least five posts removed....guaranteed.

All reports around Arizona have Wilson's play slipping, but no one is saying Rhodes play was going down, in fact he had a very good season. And we all know what Pollard brings. I really hope it works out, but guys that can't run anymore rarely do...maybe his height and experience will save him...and of course Belichick will hide him/not leave him exposed, but we've seen him cut these old timers before August comes to an end. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens, but it depends on his contract.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Pollard is a big hitter, lousy cover guy, locker room cancer. I wouldn't want him on my team. Kerry Rhodes is OK. Wilson is OK, both are past their prime. Neither is a sure bet. They like Wilson better. You don't. I'm going with them.

Don't Question BB is a Jets fan and a message board cancer, by the way....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

There are free agents and free agents.  BB signs lots of people to essentially union scale contracts and then cuts them in early August, saving almost all their salary minus a small bonus, if they're not working out.  When you buy a used car for the demolition derby, where Wilson and Leon Washington fit this bill, sometimes you win but sometimes the motor won't turn over at the starting line.

Danny Amendola is an investment.  He sticks around unless he's really no good.  Wes Welker is great but people feel that his time is pretty short.

No, I don't like this part of football, using healthy human beings up and throwing them away, picking up old stogies that you find and smoking them all the way down to nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Bench warmer?  He played 80% of Arizona's defensive snaps last year.  You can dislike the move but at least say why.  I'm guessing BB will use him in situations that play to his strengths.  Time will tell how he fits, but give the Pats credit for trying to bolster their secondary with a vet. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It's a good depth signing If nothing else, and like Rodney, he will be able to help bring some of the younger safeties like Wilson and ebner along. I expect him to see some good playing time this year. He may be subbed on 3rd down, but frankly I am okay with that. It gives us more flexibility in how we use the other Wilson and mccourty, and possibly a bit of leverage with Talib as we could did need be, slide mccourty back to cb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Pollard is a big hitter, lousy cover guy, locker room cancer. I wouldn't want him on my team. Kerry Rhodes is OK. Wilson is OK, both are past their prime. Neither is a sure bet. They like Wilson better. You don't. I'm going with them.

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A good safety (like Wilson) doesn't "cover," they wait for the ball to meet the receiver's hands and then light them up like a christmas tree because they understand angles and how to be in position to make plays.  He's only missed two games in the past five seasons, will start on one week one, has 27 career interceptions, 26 sacks, has been to the Pro Bowl 5 times and an All Pro 4 times.

Bernard Pollard = Besides being a dirty player (and he is) has never been voted to the Pro Bowl or All Pro team, only has 9 sacks and 9 INT's in a seven year career, has only been healthy and started a full season once in 2008, otherwise has been injured and a complete liability in pass coverage as well as a locker room cancer as evident by 3 teams in his short career.  Ed Reed will be gone or retired and the Ravens still didn't attempt to keep him, what does that tell you?

Kerry Rhodes = All Pro once, missed time last year, missed half the season the year before, did I mention he's skinny?  He is more Free Safety than Strong Safety and we most definitely need a SS.

We couldn't have asked for a better player, except maybe to have acquired him earlier... but if he stays healthy who cares.  You should follow the advice of your avatar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

A good safety (like Wilson) doesn't "cover," they wait for the ball to meet the receiver's hands and then light them up like a christmas tree because they understand angles and how to be in position to make plays.  He's only missed two games in the past five seasons, will start on one week one, has 27 career interceptions, 26 sacks, has been to the Pro Bowl 5 times and an All Pro 4 times.

Bernard Pollard = Besides being a dirty player (and he is) has never been voted to the Pro Bowl or All Pro team, only has 9 sacks and 9 INT's in a seven year career, has only been healthy and started a full season once in 2008, otherwise has been injured and a complete liability in pass coverage as well as a locker room cancer as evident by 3 teams in his short career.  Ed Reed will be gone or retired and the Ravens still didn't attempt to keep him, what does that tell you?

Kerry Rhodes = All Pro once, missed time last year, missed half the season the year before, did I mention he's skinny?  He is more Free Safety than Strong Safety and we most definitely need a SS.

We couldn't have asked for a better player, except maybe to have acquired him earlier... but if he stays healthy who cares.  You should follow the advice of your avatar.

Yeah, a guy is washed up because his 6ft3 240 pound frame doesn't allow him to cover slot receivers in 4wide formations. Guy plays 80% of defensive snaps but comes off the field a few times at 33 years old so he's washed up? 

I would think some of the haters here would be happy that we have this in the box "line backer/safety" to cover guys like Hightower and Spikes had trouble with last season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Who really knows which of these will be better.  Wilson fits Belichick's MO.  Aging veteran with a solid track record.  The issue is that it every time he's done this the past last half decade, the acquisitions haven't worked out. 

Regardless, the pats have a good enough core b/c the personnel choices have been solid enough.  The question is, however, are their current choices/decisions the difference between just going to the playoffs and winning the superbowl.  Tom Brady, nearly alone, will get the pats to the playoffs, especially considering the bumbling others in their division, but do these decisions make you think they are going over the top or just treading water?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Can someone explain the love for Pollard? Is it simply because he took out our players? I honestly don't understand. He's a liability in coverage, doesn't wrap up so tends to bounce off strong players, is a locker room cancer (lead a strike over practice time), and will be on his 4th team in 8 years for a reason. He's the Gregory of SS's. We have Wilson who's a heavy hitter but wraps up and is a leader. Wilson isn't great in coverage anymore but at least gives you as much if not more then Pollard. I'm glad we got Wilson over Pollard

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

I totally agree on pollard. I think he has more fans in New England than any place he's ever played. Yes, he is a big hitter. But he routinely hugest burned in coverage and his bad locker room rep is well documented. There's a reason he's on a new team almost every year....coaches burn out on him fast. Think about this: Baltimore has lost a TON of important players from their championship team bc they couldn't pay them with flac o's big new deal and the one they gave ngata last year. However, they still chose to cut pollard. That says a lot.

as for Wilson, he was one of the top safeties in the game for a long time. Yes he is aging and yes he has lost a step, but NE is committed to DMC and tavon Wilson at safety. AWill is here to mentor them, probably play on running downs and bring a physical presence that we've lacked. We've also lacked a guy that can set up the defense in the back end and maybe he can help mentor the young guys to do that.  plus one other piece I think he adds: the pats went to a light DL package often this season with essentially a DE playing on the interior (until he got suspended) with pretty good results. The problem was that teams started to recognize that and would call a run and there wasn't enough beef upfront or in the back end. Add Wilson to that formation and you have an additional layer of protection against the run.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

+1

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Since when have the pats ever been bothered by having a dirty player on their team? Rodney cough Harrison cough cough

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Both Rhodes and certainly Pollard would have been better fits for this NE D.  But for some reason, we go after the benchwarming Wilson who can cover anyone.  Oh well, at least the Pats signed Arrington and got rid of Wes.

Don't know about Rhodes...but Pollard was the guy that BB should have signed. Wilson is a relic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Don't know about Rhodes...but Pollard was the guy that BB should have signed. Wilson is a relic.

We didn't win Super Bowl's by filling our team with poor leaders, locker room cancers, unintelligent guys, and ultimately, average players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

It's a good depth signing If nothing else, and like Rodney, he will be able to help bring some of the younger safeties like Wilson and ebner along. I expect him to see some good playing time this year. He may be subbed on 3rd down, but frankly I am okay with that. It gives us more flexibility in how we use the other Wilson and mccourty, and possibly a bit of leverage with Talib as we could did need be, slide mccourty back to cb.

He won't be subbed on third Down. They will replace Spikes with Wilson on 3rd down. He is going to be playing in the box, also a very effective blitzer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Who really knows which of these will be better.  Wilson fits Belichick's MO.  Aging veteran with a solid track record.  The issue is that it every time he's done this the past last half decade, the acquisitions haven't worked out. 

Regardless, the pats have a good enough core b/c the personnel choices have been solid enough.  The question is, however, are their current choices/decisions the difference between just going to the playoffs and winning the superbowl.  Tom Brady, nearly alone, will get the pats to the playoffs, especially considering the bumbling others in their division, but do these decisions make you think they are going over the top or just treading water?

Some additions to the roster are longer term, some intermediate and some short term (1 year). Wilson I think is a 1 year with some possibility of doing it again the year after. A guy like him - at this stage of his career - is not meant to put the team over the top. Really no single addition is meant to (unlike with some teams that rely on 3-4 mission critical players on O and another 3-4 mission critical on D - like the Jets tried to be and like the Colts were). Here the idea is on building a 53 man roster wherre everyone has a job, a role. And breadth and depth of quality and skills is paramount. IF successful the result is a team that can overcome multiple injuries to multiple areas on the team and still be Very competative. It also results in a team that is able to adjust O and D to suit opponent and weather. It does not result in a moster fantasy team. It does not result in a team loaded with the very best players. It does force the team as a whole and individually to have to rise to their very best to compete in a playoff game against a very healthy team that has focused less on depth than front line talent.

So to answer your question, I do think this is a good addition to the team. It makes them better on paper. Some aquisitions like this do not make it to the season but I expect he will. I also do not think this "puts them over the top".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Actually I think Wilson FITS better than Pollard. But that is clearly a general opinion and not fact.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

We didn't win Super Bowl's by filling our team with poor leaders, locker room cancers, unintelligent guys, and ultimately, average players.

I agree with you. I will also say that Wilson might be "hungrier" but not being a personal friend that is a guess - or a wish.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Rhodes and Pollard have rated out pretty bad to OK as safeties in their careers.  Pollard has been on like 3 teams in 4 years... 

Wilson graded out as the second best SS two years ago.  Then everyone on the cardinals took a step back....

BB playd against all these guys and liked Wilson better.

Not sure i have agreed with anything you have said lately...

And with a name like dontquestionBB you really are confusing me here.