Key offseason moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Key offseason moves

A lot of people are talking about how much money we need to pour into our offense to make it better.  I disagree.  After seeing the defense that Seattle put on the field, and then watched it completely dismantle the best offense in the game, I'm thinking we need to emulate their D rather than Denvers O.

With the #1 pick I would pick one of the top 3 Tight Ends that should be availalbe.  This would only change if their was a monster DL left on the board like Nix.  At which point I would use the second round to pick a TE. 

On offense we still have Amendola (who I haven't given up on yet) with.  I expect Dobson to have a solid second year, and Boyce could be given the return job if Edleman prices himself out of NE.  This will be a make or break year for Gronk, literally.  He's either going to make all the doubters shut it, or he's going to break something else and be out the door.  A budget veteran signing combined with the other young receivers could make this group solid.  As for RB's, we have them, and a good group at that.  A key will be Blount, would be nice to hold this monster for one more year.  Offensive line is where we need to pay some attention in the draft and FA.  I would even bring in Incognito.  Laugh if you want, he's Mankins but with a bigger mouth, and I think that mouth would be much better controlled here.

On to D.  We will have a bunch of key returns, but still there's work here that needs doing.  First step is to sign Talib.  Next, address that line and Strong Safety position.  There's a handful of Free Agent Safeties that are aboslute beasts.  Let's make a run at one of them.  As for the line, we discovered some pleasant surprises when trying to plug the gaping holes with the loss of Wilfork and Kelly.  Both should return, another key draft prospect and we could be solid here. 

Before the injuries we were looking at having one of the better defenses in the league.  With some luck and a couple pieces, we could be looking at that again.  That more than anything is what we need. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Re: Key offseason moves

I do not see Wilfork returning without a restructure.  I would love to see Byrd playing safety but that might be a dream.  They need to sure up the DL and OL.  Time for the money to be spent in the trenches.  The draft is always a crap shoot and even more with BB running it.  More than likely he will trade down and get more draft picks.  I am sure they will load up with TE's and get a couple to play well.  I am having mixed feelings about Talib.
    One moment I think he is a shutdown corner.  The next I see him exposed by smaller receivers.  I am also concerned about the hip.  If they don't resign him, they need to find a big corner to replace him.  I think WR is set with the three youngsters they have.  I do not see Edelman returning.  He will get a big payday from someone.  I expect to see Mallet traded for draft picks as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

First it should be interesting to see how much CAP space the Pats can free up. Then you know your budget.

I thought Mallett would be moved last year but it never happened. He walks after this season so I would think getting the 3rd rd pick back would be fine.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I agree...

Safety

D line

O line

Tight End

We need an impact Safety that can hit and change a game. Same on the D line... get one or more beasts on the Dline and watch our team's attitude change. Hope BB agrees and makes it happen....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Cut Wilfork, Kelly, Gregory, Soap, A Wilson

Resign Wilfork, Kelly and Talib

Extend Connolly, Ghost and DMC

Let Edelman, Spikes and Wendell walk

Draft a DL in the 1st round (trade up if necessary)

Sign Scott Chandler, Emmanuel Sanders (or someone like him) and Arthur Jones.

Doubtful this all happens, but it would be pretty solid imo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Draft the best DT you can with the 1st pick or trade up to get one, if not make Arthur Jones or Randy Starks a priority which will only work if we cut VW(due to his achilles ending his career) Jones would be a cheaper option. Then I would draft either a CB or SS if we go DT in FA. Let Talib walk, and Wendell as well, replacing them both in the draft. I like Dennard and Ryan as our 1 and 2 next year but bring in competition.

I have absolutely no problem letting Edelman go(love him as a hard working over acheiver) as he is not worth a big contract. Amendola will fill the void and T.J Moe could be an acceptable back up. I mean Welker, Edelman, and Amendola were basically all undrafted. Moe fits the mold, I mean, Its the slot position! I like making Jeremy Maclin a priority on an incentive based contract. Great speed, great route runner, and good hands! 

If we can snake Pita from Baltimore I would do it, he's a perfect Hern replacement. If not draft a TE in the top 4 rounds. Cut soap, Kelly, possibly VW, and Adrian Wilson(another achilles tragedy, as he was the SS physical presence we needed) Harmon should get a chance to start next year or compete with a 1st or 2nd round SS....unless we move Collins to safety as pats lifer suggested, and draft a LBer!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree...

Safety

D line

O line

Tight End 

We need an impact Safety that can hit and change a game. Same on the D line... get one or more beasts on the Dline and watch our team's attitude change. Hope BB agrees and makes it happen....

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums up the way I see it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A lot of people are talking about how much money we need to pour into our offense to make it better.  I disagree. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, the defense needs some serious shakeup, they need to be able to get the opponent off the field.  Change the scheme, get Gregory out of here, time for Spikes to leave, he can't cover,  no more Arrington on the outside, if he cant hang on the field then dump him, can't believe how many times he got replaced during games last season.  Need good cover DB's with size.  Talib is over 6' but Ryan and Dennard are both under 6ft.  BB seems to favor shorter DB's.. WHY?? We can't have that, we need some size out there.

Pats still  need to add some firepower to the offense.  Even if you have a good defense you need to be able to score.  Yes, the Pats are right in the mix of things again next season but still a lot of changes need to be made if they want to bring home the Lombardi. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree...

Safety

D line

O line

Tight End 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We need much more than that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree...

Safety

D line

O line

Tight End 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We need much more than that.

[/QUOTE]

Great analysis.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

I'd be all over every one of those moves, minus Edelman walking, but you think Arthur Jones can be targeted based on his market value?

Or, do you think he'd take less to play with is brother type of thing?

I know Baltimore is in a major cap hell and he's gone, but I am not sure he'll be affordable. Love the Chandler and Sanders ideas, but only Sanders if Edelman gets some bloated offer, which I doubt.

I like the logic of the players you mention, what to do and who to keep, etc. Good, solid plan.

Like the Chandler idea a lot.  I just wonder what he'll command. The Hernandez thing will be big in terms of the greivance and bonus oney they can maybe recoup.

I would prefer to keep Edelman as well, but I anticipate him getting an offer we won't match.

I chose Arthur Jones because I think the big money will more likely go to Joseph and Raji making him slightly more affordable.

As for Chandler I don't think he'll command as much money as say Martellus Bennett (who got about 5 million per) because he isn't hugely athletic.  Obviously I could be wrong about that.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd be all over every one of those moves, minus Edelman walking, but you think Arthur Jones can be targeted based on his market value?

Or, do you think he'd take less to play with is brother type of thing?

I know Baltimore is in a major cap hell and he's gone, but I am not sure he'll be affordable. Love the Chandler and Sanders ideas, but only Sanders if Edelman gets some bloated offer, which I doubt.

I like the logic of the players you mention, what to do and who to keep, etc. Good, solid plan.

Like the Chandler idea a lot.  I just wonder what he'll command. The Hernandez thing will be big in terms of the greivance and bonus oney they can maybe recoup.

[/QUOTE]

I would prefer to keep Edelman as well, but I anticipate him getting an offer we won't match.

I chose Arthur Jones because I think the big money will more likely go to Joseph and Raji making him slightly more affordable.

As for Chandler I don't think he'll command as much money as say Martellus Bennett (who got about 5 million per) because he isn't hugely athletic.  Obviously I could be wrong about that.

[/QUOTE]

I like Scott Chandler as a reasonable signing. How bout Henry Melton coming off injury from Chicago? He would be a little light for our typical DT at 295 but is supposed to be a solid player. I like Arthur Jones, and Randy Starks as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In regard to Edelman, I think desperate GM's have proven they will take our table scraps no matter what sense it makes. Edelman is the defintion of a system player, who's maximum value is in N.E. Yet I could see the Jets(receiver starved and cap room) the Bills(same) the Colts(a good fit) going for Edelman. they are all teams who are very familiar with him fresh off of thumpings.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I consider 5 mill a year good money for a 32 year old slot receiver, and in Edelmans case I think he will get that as he is younger even though his production isn't close to being as consistent as Welkers. In either case, I didn't think BB should sign Welker to that deal and I don't think he should sign edelman to a bigger deal. I hate losing him, but he is a typical BB scrapper who can be replaced. I can't wait to see T.J Moe in camp next year, wouldn't suprise me if he makes the jump!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Is it because Moe is a white guy?  It took Edelman a while to earn Brady's trust and now we want to start over?

I know nothing about Moe other than he played at Missouri and is a shifty white guy who just happens to look like Edelman.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what his color has to do with it other then being the same color as the other slot receivers I mentioned, but being "shifty" guy seems important to the slot postion. I would also point to his scrappy under sized demeanor and ability to absorb hits from bigger guys ala Wes Welker!

25. This post has been removed.