Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.

I've been in my car for 4 hours of live camp coverage and spoke with these 2 as well. They have talked highly of Hightower, Mayo, Brady, Mallet, Cannon, Gallery and for the last 5 minutes about Bequette being ahead of Jones. Specifically foot work, power, hands and over all comfortability with what they are doing. Sory no link as its live on Siruis but just happened 10 minutes ago. Granted 1 practice but its a padded practice. Few other observations as they close out. Mallet completed amost everything today. Gallery is their choice for starting guard if Mankins or Waters is not available. LOVE the addition of Brandon Loyd. As I speak I'm Ryan just said from 1 practice he notes the run game is "not fixed" Volmer is their key for the o line, they say we need him although they like Cannon. We can "win games if Brady misses time", these guys are giving glowing endorsements to Mallet over Hoyer Most importantly a quote from Kirwan to end the program, "This team is clearly better then the SB team of last year"!!! Awesome!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.

It amazes me how different people's opinions are of these practices/players...just yesterday Reiss said he thought Gallery clearly had lost something in the athletic department of his play and was on the ground an awful lot struggling. I also read somewhere that Bequette had struggled of late and wasn't getting around guys one on one. It's kind of like the stock market....up one day...down another. The only two guys that I've heard nothing but positives about were Scott and Llyod.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.

In response to "Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.": [QUOTE]It amazes me how different people's opinions are of these practices/players...just yesterday Reiss said he thought Gallery clearly had lost something in the athletic department of his play and was on the ground an awful lot struggling. I also read somewhere that Bequette had struggled of late and wasn't getting around guys one on one. It's kind of like the stock market....up one day...down another. The only two guys that I've heard nothing but positives about were Scott and Llyod. Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE] Yeah, I read the same. Bequette looked lost if I remember correctly. Still good to hear positive news.....except the run game not fixed thing, that was scary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.:
    [QUOTE]It amazes me how different people's opinions are of these practices/players...just yesterday Reiss said he thought Gallery clearly had lost something in the athletic department of his play and was on the ground an awful lot struggling. I also read somewhere that Bequette had struggled of late and wasn't getting around guys one on one. It's kind of like the stock market....up one day...down another. The only two guys that I've heard nothing but positives about were Scott and Llyod.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Seams like no commentators can agree on the opinions of the same players and yesterdays comments can be a 100% turn around from the day before or today's. Eventually they all give completely different commentaries over the course of camp, so they all can say they called it. They all hedge their bets and take contrary views for the same reasons. If they all change their opinions enough, eventually they all claim to have been right. Realy a waist of time. Watch video of camp and your own opinions will be as valid as the so called experts. Gets to be such a joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.:
    [QUOTE]It amazes me how different people's opinions are of these practices/players...
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    I have read conflicting reports too. 

Read where Mallet lookms sloppy, Hoyer not getting reps because they know what they have with him.  Mallet won't be taking over for Hoyer anytime soon.

Read where Riddley was looking good, Vareen catching out of the backfield, now I hear RB isn't fixed.

from Tom Curran yesterday..
    WHO'S HOT
    * Danny Woodhead had some brilliant cuts during the first contact sessions.

* Jerod Mayo had a nice strip on Hernandez after it appeared Hernandez had him beat.

* Julian Edelman had a terrific in-and-out move on James Ihedigbo during the 1-on-1 tackling drills (it wasn't actual tackling, just squaring up and making contact.

* Lloyd and Brady are working closer to developing chemistry you could see on a few out routes.

WHO'S NOT
    * Mallett continues to be slow with his reads against coverage

* The offensive line as a unit seemed to have problems with the speed and aggressiveness of the defensive line.

WHAT WE SAW
    * Jabar Gaffney and Deion Branch were never (as far as we could tell) on the field at the same time during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11. Leads you to believe they are competing against each other.

* The difference in arm strength between Hoyer and the other two quarterbacks is noticeable in how hard Hoyer has to torque his body to make throws the others seem able to fling out with ease. Despite that, Hoyer's accuracy and anticipation are outstanding, especially compared to Mallett's.

* On consecutive plays, Stevan Ridley got bang'ed to the ground by defenders. Ras-I Dowling's hit at the end of a running play seemed incidental. Patrick Chung hog-tied Ridley and threw him down. Bill Belichick told Chung to go run around the opposite goal post after that hit.

* When the defense went to man-to-man in the 6-on-7 drills, the receivers didn't get much separation and Brady had his first incompletions of the day on those plays. He missed three-of-five (his only three incompletions on an 11-for-14 day) and Devin McCourty had a nice downfield breakup on a pass intended for Lloyd.

* Rob Gronkowski left the field for a spell to be attended to. He returned with a big bandage on his chin. I'm no doctor, but it appeared to be what the medical folk call a laceration.

* Alfonzo Dennard had limited participation with a tweaked hamstring.

* Kyle Arrington had his left foot checked by the medical staff near the end of practice.

* The coaches are cognizant of Dont'a Hightower's power. It showed up - despite advance warning - when tight ends were doing a blocking drill and Gronk almost got flipped over backwords.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Jones is younger, Bequette has been around a 4 year starter in college. His agility drills in the combine were shockingly good for a man his size so this wouldn't surprise me.  Loved this pick when they made it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

From what I've read, I'm guessing Bequette is the more polished of the two at this point, but Jones has more raw talent.  We'll see what happens.  It's nice to hear that there are several guys competing at that edge rusher spot.  There's also Francis and Cunningham and Scott all in play. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I expected this. Jones has much more potential but Bequette was clearly the more pro ready coming out of college. I fully expected Bequette to get the majority of reps the first year or maybe 2 as Jones was more of a project with all-pro potential

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think you have to consider the source when appreciating professional opinions. I for one am more inclined to agree with Kirwan and T-Rock as one was a successful GM for a long time and one was a successful player for a long time. If any of you have Sirius and have listened to "Moving The Chains" then you know what I'm talking about. Nobody does it better!

I just remembered this, but Chung, McCourty AND Bob Kraft all lauded Gregory today in live interviews for his intelligence, and ability to dissect plays. Chung said he has already learned from S.G. It was telling how easily Chung admitted Gregory had taught him a lot in 2 practices. This guy will be the starter imo, and do well. "RPRT"...and "do your job" is the most important aspect of BB's defensive system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on. : I have read conflicting reports too.  Read where Mallet lookms sloppy, Hoyer not getting reps because they know what they have with him.  Mallet won't be taking over for Hoyer anytime soon. wRead where Riddley was looking good, Vareen catching out of the backfield, no I hear RB isn't fixed. from Tom Curran yesterday.. WHO'S HOT * Danny Woodhead had some brilliant cuts during the first contact sessions. * Jerod Mayo had a nice strip on Hernandez after it appeared Hernandez had him beat. * Julian Edelman had a terrific in-and-out move on James Ihedigbo during the 1-on-1 tackling drills (it wasn't actual tackling, just squaring up and making contact. * Lloyd and Brady are working closer to developing chemistry you could see on a few out routes. WHO'S NOT * Mallett continues to be slow with his reads against coverage * The offensive line as a unit seemed to have problems with the speed and aggressiveness of the defensive line. WHAT WE SAW * Jabar Gaffney and Deion Branch were never (as far as we could tell) on the field at the same time during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11. Leads you to believe they are competing against each other. * The difference in arm strength between Hoyer and the other two quarterbacks is noticeable in how hard Hoyer has to torque his body to make throws the others seem able to fling out with ease. Despite that, Hoyer's accuracy and anticipation are outstanding, especially compared to Mallett's. * On consecutive plays, Stevan Ridley got bang'ed to the ground by defenders. Ras-I Dowling's hit at the end of a running play seemed incidental. Patrick Chung hog-tied Ridley and threw him down. Bill Belichick told Chung to go run around the opposite goal post after that hit. * When the defense went to man-to-man in the 6-on-7 drills, the receivers didn't get much separation and Brady had his first incompletions of the day on those plays. He missed three-of-five (his only three incompletions on an 11-for-14 day) and Devin McCourty had a nice downfield breakup on a pass intended for Lloyd. * Rob Gronkowski left the field for a spell to be attended to. He returned with a big bandage on his chin. I'm no doctor, but it appeared to be what the medical folk call a laceration. * Alfonzo Dennard had limited participation with a tweaked hamstring. * Kyle Arrington had his left foot checked by the medical staff near the end of practice. * The coaches are cognizant of Dont'a Hightower's power. It showed up - despite advance warning - when tight ends were doing a blocking drill and Gronk almost got flipped over backwords.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

TFB, in regard to the RB spot, they both had good things to say about Ridley and Vareen. They summed up what we all have thought.... Vareen and Woody will be the pass catchers on 3rd's and such, Ridley and Bolden are power backs who can ALSO catch passes(good news and Nick Cesario confirmed that in his interview). They did say at the end of the camp tour, that so far they didn't see anything which would mean the RB situation is a lock. Not a condemnation of the run game by any means but still not a great vote of confidence either.....then again it's day 3!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.:
    [QUOTE]I've been in my car for 4 hours of live camp coverage and spoke with these 2 as well. They have talked highly of Hightower, Mayo, Brady, Mallet, Cannon, Gallery and for the last 5 minutes about Bequette being ahead of Jones. Specifically foot work, power, hands and over all comfortability with what they are doing. Sory no link as its live on Siruis but just happened 10 minutes ago. Granted 1 practice but its a padded practice. Few other observations as they close out. Mallet completed amost everything today. Gallery is their choice for starting guard if Mankins or Waters is not available. LOVE the addition of Brandon Loyd. As I speak I'm Ryan just said from 1 practice he notes the run game is "not fixed" Volmer is their key for the o line, they say we need him although they like Cannon. We can "win games if Brady misses time", these guys are giving glowing endorsements to Mallet over Hoyer Most importantly a quote from Kirwan to end the program, "This team is clearly better then the SB team of last year"!!! Awesome!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

"I've been in my car for 4 hours of live camp coverage and spoke with these 2 as well. They have talked highly of Hightower, Mayo, Brady, Mallet, Cannon, Gallery and for the last 5 minutes about Bequette being ahead of Jones. Specifically foot work, power, hands and over all comfortability with what they are doing. Sory no link as its live on Siruis but just happened 10 minutes ago."

nothing to apologize for.
    any info is better than no info.
    no emotionally balanced person is gonna say you made it up.

thanks much!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on.:
    [QUOTE]I've been in my car for 4 hours of live camp coverage and spoke with these 2 as well. They have talked highly of Hightower, Mayo, Brady, Mallet, Cannon, Gallery and for the last 5 minutes about Bequette being ahead of Jones. Specifically foot work, power, hands and over all comfortability with what they are doing. Sory no link as its live on Siruis but just happened 10 minutes ago. Granted 1 practice but its a padded practice. Few other observations as they close out. Mallet completed amost everything today. Gallery is their choice for starting guard if Mankins or Waters is not available. LOVE the addition of Brandon Loyd. As I speak I'm Ryan just said from 1 practice he notes the run game is "not fixed" Volmer is their key for the o line, they say we need him although they like Cannon. We can "win games if Brady misses time", these guys are giving glowing endorsements to Mallet over Hoyer Most importantly a quote from Kirwan to end the program, "This team is clearly better then the SB team of last year"!!! Awesome!

"these guys are giving glowing endorsements to Mallet over Hoyer"

thats music to the ears!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]It amazes me how different people's opinions are of these practices/players...just yesterday Reiss said he thought Gallery clearly had lost something in the athletic department of his play and was on the ground an awful lot struggling. I also read somewhere that Bequette had struggled of late and wasn't getting around guys one on one. It's kind of like the stock market....up one day...down another. The only two guys that I've heard nothing but positives about were Scott and Llyod.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

and hightower and brady
    gaffney too

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Jones is younger, Bequette has been around a 4 year starter in college. His agility drills in the combine were shockingly good for a man his size so this wouldn't surprise me.  Loved this pick when they made it.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

ditto for me

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I think you have to consider the source when appreciating professional opinions. I for one am more inclined to agree with Kirwan and T-Rock as one was a successful GM for a long time and one was a successful player for a long time. If any of you have Sirius and have listened to "Moving The Chains" then you know what I'm talking about. Nobody does it better! I just remembered this, but Chung, McCourty AND Bob Kraft all lauded Gregory today in live interviews for his intelligence, and ability to dissect plays. Chung said he has already learned from S.G. It was telling how easily Chung admitted Gregory had taught him a lot in 2 practices. This guy will be the starter imo, and do well. "RPRT"...and "do your job" is the most important aspect of BB's defensive system.

great to hear about gregory.
    keep the movign the chains report coming!
    thanks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on. : TFB, in regard to the RB spot, they both had good things to say about Ridley and Vareen. They summed up what we all have thought.... Vareen and Woody will be the pass catchers on 3rd's and such, Ridley and Bolden are power backs who can ALSO catch passes (good news and Nick Cesario confirmed that in his interview). They did say at the end of the camp tour, that so far they didn't see anything which would mean the RB situation is a lock. Not a condemnation of the run game by any means but still not a great vote of confidence either.....then again it's day 3!

was obvious to me in preseason that ridley catches teh ball easily out of the backfield

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Appreciate all the info TrueChamp. I have long felt (since Pats drafted them) that Bequette and Hightower were closer to be NFL ready than Jones. I see Jones as a developmental player with huge potential. Hightower was the leader on arguably the best defense in college football; Bequette was four year starter and captain on his D; also think Jones was injured for some games (I know Hightower was too, but the experience of Hightower is overwhelming).

Again. Appreciate the info.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kirwan and Tim Ryan from camp say Bequette "clearly" ahead of Jones early on. : I have read conflicting reports too.  Read where Mallet lookms sloppy, Hoyer not getting reps because they know what they have with him.  Mallet won't be taking over for Hoyer anytime soon. Read where Riddley was looking good, Vareen catching out of the backfield, now I hear RB isn't fixed. from Tom Curran yesterday.. WHO'S HOT * Danny Woodhead had some brilliant cuts during the first contact sessions. * Jerod Mayo had a nice strip on Hernandez after it appeared Hernandez had him beat. * Julian Edelman had a terrific in-and-out move on James Ihedigbo during the 1-on-1 tackling drills (it wasn't actual tackling, just squaring up and making contact. * Lloyd and Brady are working closer to developing chemistry you could see on a few out routes. WHO'S NOT * Mallett continues to be slow with his reads against coverage * The offensive line as a unit seemed to have problems with the speed and aggressiveness of the defensive line. WHAT WE SAW * Jabar Gaffney and Deion Branch were never (as far as we could tell) on the field at the same time during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11. Leads you to believe they are competing against each other. * The difference in arm strength between Hoyer and the other two quarterbacks is noticeable in how hard Hoyer has to torque his body to make throws the others seem able to fling out with ease. Despite that, Hoyer's accuracy and anticipation are outstanding, especially compared to Mallett's. * On consecutive plays, Stevan Ridley got bang'ed to the ground by defenders. Ras-I Dowling's hit at the end of a running play seemed incidental. Patrick Chung hog-tied Ridley and threw him down. Bill Belichick told Chung to go run around the opposite goal post after that hit. * When the defense went to man-to-man in the 6-on-7 drills, the receivers didn't get much separation and Brady had his first incompletions of the day on those plays. He missed three-of-five (his only three incompletions on an 11-for-14 day) and Devin McCourty had a nice downfield breakup on a pass intended for Lloyd. * Rob Gronkowski left the field for a spell to be attended to. He returned with a big bandage on his chin. I'm no doctor, but it appeared to be what the medical folk call a laceration. * Alfonzo Dennard had limited participation with a tweaked hamstring. * Kyle Arrington had his left foot checked by the medical staff near the end of practice. * The coaches are cognizant of Dont'a Hightower's power. It showed up - despite advance warning - when tight ends were doing a blocking drill and Gronk almost got flipped over backwords.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Thats awesome. Can't wait to see this kid in games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Tim and Pat are solid, if they said it was true, I'd believe them.  I have been listening for years, they generally get it right.  Not "hosts" like Schein and Papa, they tag team with info about scheme, position, contracts, and the ins and outs of pro football from the ground up to the offices.  Rusty may think he knows better, but I definitely would take Tim and Pat's opinion over ANYONES.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Globe has been reporting that Jones has been showing nice 1 on 1 moves.  I think he starts, especially on passing downs.

The word on running back is that the defense just got seriously better and the offensive line, which is at least half of the Patriots running game, is all nursing their injuries this preseason.  Gronk almost has both his feet now but he isn't really ready to run block.  Mankins isn't on the field.  Vollmer has a bad back.  This is the start of Solder's second year.  Waters is preserving his body until the real games start in September.  Neither Koppen nor Connelly is that good these days. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]The Globe has been reporting that Jones has been showing nice 1 on 1 moves.  I think he starts, especially on passing downs. The word on running back is that the defense just got seriously better and the offensive line, which is at least half of the Patriots running game, is all nursing their injuries this preseason.  Gronk almost has both his feet now but he isn't really ready to run block.  Mankins isn't on the field.  Vollmer has a bad back.  This is the start of Solder's second year.  Waters is preserving his body until the real games start in September.  Neither Koppen nor Connelly is that good these days. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

1v1 doesn't necessarily translate to in game performance because it's not often you face 1v1 on every down, but it is extremely encouraging. I think they treat him just like the Giants treated JPP. A year of situational pass rushing where they can place him in 1v1 situations and the next year he can get some starting reps if he can handle double teams and assignments against the run.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

We can't forget that this is entertainment.  I like listening to Kirwan and Ryan.  Might be my favorite program on Sirius.  The camp visits are entertainment with a bit of info splashed in-between.  It's kinda like these meaningless power rankings they all do now.  Us fans want to be entertained (at least I do).  Most of us enjoy reading the various camp reports.  I'm overseas at the moment so I couldn't listen myself.  I'd bet anything that Kirwan stipulated once or twice that this was just one day early in camp.  That said, he's still going to make it interesting for the fans.  How boring would it be if he ended every sentence with a disclaimer....