Kubiak Fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Kubiak Fired

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

It gives them the option to have talks with any college coach first,  I wonder if they have someone in mind. Wade Phillips won't cut it. To the crys for cower and Chuckie start to go up in volume. 

Forget about college coaches. McNair is likely going to give the gig to either DC Wade Phillips, or to Lovie Smith. This means that GM Rick Smith will be retained. Not good: http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/12/wade-phillips-lovie-smith-will-be-texans-head-coach-candidates/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

It's Week 14...not mid-season. But you're right...it does seem kind of pointless to fire Kubiak now.

Consider the following scenario (incredibly unlikely, but possible): The Texans win their next 3 games.  That is 2 wins against playoff teams and a 3rd win against an average divisional foe.  That puts more pressure on ownership to retain Phillips as HC.  Now maybe they view that as a good thing (which would make them stupid), but given Wade's track record I wouldn't want him as HC.  If they kept Kubiak they could fire him no matter how the last 3 games play out and then have no obstacles to hiring whoever they want.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It gives them the option to have talks with any college coach first,  I wonder if they have someone in mind. Wade Phillips won't cut it. To the crys for cower and Chuckie start to go up in volume. 

[/QUOTE]

Or any pro coach that they want to consider.  This is an attractive situation to inherit for the next coach.  There is plenty of talent (underachieving) with more chances to improve with their draft position.

5 years from now people won't even remember what happened to Kubiak if the new coach is a success.   

And I'd be surprised if they go the recycling route with Phillips.

And the Pats fired Ron Meyer years ago mid-season, with a winning record.  It happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's Week 14...not mid-season. But you're right...it does seem kind of pointless to fire Kubiak now.

[/QUOTE]

Consider the following scenario (incredibly unlikely, but possible): The Texans win their next 3 games.  That is 2 wins against playoff teams and a 3rd win against an average divisional foe.  That puts more pressure on ownership to retain Phillips as HC.  Now maybe they view that as a good thing (which would make them stupid), but given Wade's track record I wouldn't want him as HC.  If they kept Kubiak they could fire him no matter how the last 3 games play out and then have no obstacles to hiring whoever they want.

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Wade can win out and still has no chance.

The message is very clear. Next year starts today and no one is safe. 

They did Kubiak a favor. He wasnt coming back and now he can get 100% healthy for an OC job next year.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

I'm sorry but the NFL is not a charity. Coaches of teams that are 2-11 do not deserve to keep their jobs. You should take the A out of your name. DeadHead would be more appropriate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I realize Arian Foster is a stud RB, but he should have traded him, fleeced whoever, and then just turned it over to Ben Tate and some other draft pick prospect or something.

To me, an R B stud like a Peterson, Chris Johnson, Foster, etc, is a suicide to a team.  You end up being forced to pay a ton and it can really skew your formula.  WR and RB may be sexy positions, but the key is not to pay for them.

The QB, you kind of have to pay now, which makes the drafting and player development that much more important.

You gotta pay for a coach in this league.  KC finally just did it.

[/QUOTE]

1) Absolutely on rb's, i think maybe you can cheat a little on wr's but not with long contracts

2) I am intrigued about the qb who played against the Pats- wouldnt mind seeing him with the Pats if Mallett goes, but they shouldnt pay him much.

3) top coaches are hard to find - i dread when BB goes, And heaven help the guy who follows him. As the saying goes, you dont want to be the one who follows the legend, you want to be the one who follows the one who follows the legend

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Wade can win out and still has no chance.

The message is very clear. Next year starts today and no one is safe. 

They did Kubiak a favor. He wasnt coming back and now he can get 100% healthy for an OC job next year.

[/QUOTE]

They did Kubiak a favor by embarrassing him and asking him to get a carboard box and clear out his desk a month after having a stroke as we approach the holidays here?

My god are you a piece of work.

He was there for what 7 years? I think he deserved to finish the year out.  Houston is not making the playoffs and 3 more weeks of games isn't going to improve Kubiak's chances at new OC job somehere next year.

What a ridiculous comment, which is not surprising considering the source.

The one who needs to be canned is their GM.   Start there.  Kubiak clearly needed to be replaced, but to let him go like that is ridiculous.  Wade Phillips is not better than Kubiak and Houston has no chance at a wild card.

We also don't need to see Wade Phillips get "try outs" when he's been a failed coach NUMEROUS TIMES.

What a crock.  Wade Phillips is Norv Turner. He's Rex Ryan.   Good coordinators don't always make good head coaches.

[/QUOTE]

My poodle continues to sniff my butt! 

Wade is not getting a try out. He has zero shot. New season with all spots open starts today. 

Kubiak gets welcome relief and also plans for health and future opp's. Best for the team, best for the man

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

Kind of lame to fire a guy who just had a stroke.  Couldn't they have waited until their awful season ended just out of respect?

Wade Phillips and his alligator arms will step in and they'll still be bad.

[/QUOTE]

i agree re: stroke and finishing the season

that said it is a bit overdue maybe long overdue....a lot of talent and expectations seem to have led to a lot of 8 and 9 win seasons...and little playoff success..it is fair to say their window is closing fast or already closed and they missed it-better coaching may have won them much more...Kubiak was there too long based on their underperforming

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Kind of surprised they handled this the way they did, the only thing I can think of is they asked Kubiak if he wanted to be let go now rather than the end of the season. Kubiak had a TIA, the next step is a full blown stroke that usually occurs 3-6 months after - now I'm sure he is on medication - but imagine what it must be like knowing you likely will get a stroke sometime in the next 6 months?? Can't imagine coaching football is any concern of his any longer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. But, Bob McNair owns the club, and is considering making Phillips his next head coach. He wants to see how the players react to the change.

If I were McNair...I'd clean house, and try to hire Nick Saban. I know what happened to Saban in Miami. But, if the 'Fins had only chosen to sign then free agent QB Drew Brees instead of Dante Culpepper, things could have been vastly different.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

how does Wade keep getting these coaching gigs?.........that is the bigger question.....he's terrible

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

like everyone is saying, classless move. not his Scuab had an implosion this year and their best LB Cushing and All-Pro Rb Foster are out. injuries arent an excuse but scuab blowing up is.

they are a good QB away from contender

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The sports talk radios in Houston are saying Josh McDaniels is one of the candidates under consideration.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The sports talk radios in Houston are saying Josh McDaniels is one of the candidates under consideration.

[/QUOTE]

McNair says he wants a coach with prior HC experience, so Josh would fit that requirement.  And the Texans need more help on the O-side of the ball and will likely draft a QB.  That too would seem to give Josh some favorability.

I would think they'd look more at a guy with O-side experience than a guy like Del Rio, for example.

Other than the need to bring in a new OC for the Pats I would not be sad to see JMD go. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

FFS, did they run his dog over too?  They couldn't have waited? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they'll try and turn this into Sumlin/Manziel.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto. 

They were trying to win some games .... now with this move ... I think they'll tank it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Did any of you folks consider the probability that if Kubiak just quit, he would lose all his remaining salary and medical benefits and the team is doing him a favor by firing him with probably a good severance package?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did any of you folks consider the probability that if Kubiak just quit, he would lose all his remaining salary and medical benefits and the team is doing him a favor by firing him with probably a good severance package?

[/QUOTE]

no I didn't consider that because its ridiculous. He wasn't going to quit with 4 games left and he was fired because the team is awful and has underperformed during his long tenure ie: they were going to fire him anyway either now or after the last game so the idea u propose wouldn't matter. He was fired like he was always going to be which is what makes Houston look bad for doing it now....this must be the organizations week to fire people

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did you see how that team played last night?  All those penalties?  That is not on Kubiak as he is not the one on the field.  Players don't suck up and the coach gets fired.  Of course, they'll win next week and then everyone will say it was Kubiak!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Of course it's Kubiak! Do you think that a BB team would ever do what the Texans did last night. BB would cut at least 5 players...and move on. Kubiak's players don't respect him.