Last Chance for Ras-I Dowling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Last Chance for Ras-I Dowling

All I got to say about Ras-I Dowling is this is the last chance for him. He's been on the injury report more than he has on the football field. He has the size (6-1, 210 lbs.) at corner, but he's been injured. Hopefully he realizes that he's running out of chances or he'll be viewed as a wasted of a pick. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Last Chance for Ras-I Dowling

"I am one of his disciples"

He isn't Jesus or even close. 

You're better off trying to think for yourself. Give it a shot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

As for the OP, Belichick decided when Ras' time is up, not your impatience from the peanut gallery. 

Yeah, looks like a bad pick at this point....but he may surprise you yet. We'll see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

I think he is too fragile to ever make it big, but read reports that he looked like the best corner on the team in the recent mini-camp

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Unlike most.. I am excited knowing this is our back-up outside CB...  That's good news even if he has not stayed healthy... behind him we got Logan training to take the spot from him who was a top 50 talent...

IMO the secondary is going to be the best it has been since SB years.  Possible the same can be said about our front 7.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

B U S T

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah, I didn't really want Ras because of his injury history before he was drafted and I'm afraid that his injury history will be the reason this is his last chance. Hopefully he can stay healthy but if he can't he'll be just another CB in a long line since the SB years that haven't worked out for one reason or another.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

As for the OP, Belichick decided when Ras' time is up, not your impatience from the peanut gallery. 

Yeah, looks like a bad pick at this point....but he may surprise you yet. We'll see.

Spank, I love your posts:  Ras may still pan out and we should not bury him based on injuries anone, imo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I still think this guy has talent and can help in the secondary.

Hopefully he can..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The guy got injured during his 40 at his pro day...nuff said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No question the guy has talent but he's going to have to find a way to stay on the field.  Not sure that this is his last chance but sure would be nice to see what he can do over the course of a full season.  And I, too, like the look of the Pats secondary this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I still have high hopes for the guy. He should have been the player that talib was, except the injury part. Hopefully he still can be cause I dont see talib here after this year.  I'd like to see his medical records to see really what happened. They always seem to play better in a contract year, maybe we should re-sign him next year for 5 one year contracts.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If Talib, Arrington, and Dennard are healthy it's likely Dowling is only a nickel and dime option, but he has to outplay  Ryan or play well during camp to earn a spot in the nickel  or dime.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It most likely is. While there is no way to see inside the coaches head, the life cycle of NFL players is pretty cut and dried .... if this kid can't stay on the field by year three you have to move on and allocate the money somewhere it will be useful. 

It's already a shame, because he's missed crucial development time. In football terms, it's almost as if he is a rookie right now .... you still haven't even seen enough of him on the field to know what you are getting when he is healthy, and you don't know what his transitional development curve is going to be. 

Bottom line: if he isn't healthy this season he is probably cut this year or early next.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I wish he could stay healthy because I like what he brings to the defense.  But yes, I agree... This is probably his last chance.  But so far, so good...

http://nesn.com/2013/05/ras-i-dowling-might-be-patriots-best-option-at-cornerback-alongside-aqib-talib-if-he-can-stay-healthy/

"Kyle Arrington manned the first team with Talib to open OTAs while Alfonzo Dennard and Dowling manned the second unit — take that as you will. They all looked terrific — add as much salt as necessary, given the lack of pads and contact — in their first run-through of the offseason, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if Dowling and Dennard get some first-team reps of their own in the weeks to come.

From a pure spectator standpoint, Dowling looked like the best of the bunch. He appeared crisp in his backpedal, changed direction with supreme fluidity and even broke up a few of Tom Brady‘s passes along the sideline. Talib was working hard out on the corner, and both Dennard and Arrington looked solid in their reps, but, for my money at least, Dowling appeared to be the best player out on the corner."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I wish he could stay healthy because I like what he brings to the defense.  But yes, I agree... This is probably his last chance.  But so far, so good...

http://nesn.com/2013/05/ras-i-dowling-might-be-patriots-best-option-at-cornerback-alongside-aqib-talib-if-he-can-stay-healthy/

"Kyle Arrington manned the first team with Talib to open OTAs while Alfonzo Dennard and Dowling manned the second unit — take that as you will. They all looked terrific — add as much salt as necessary, given the lack of pads and contact — in their first run-through of the offseason, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if Dowling and Dennard get some first-team reps of their own in the weeks to come.

From a pure spectator standpoint, Dowling looked like the best of the bunch. He appeared crisp in his backpedal, changed direction with supreme fluidity and even broke up a few of Tom Brady‘s passes along the sideline. Talib was working hard out on the corner, and both Dennard and Arrington looked solid in their reps, but, for my money at least, Dowling appeared to be the best player out on the corner."

That would be a godsend. Really. 

Dowling is the best athlete out there at corner. If you could push Dennard inside, have Arrington be your dime .... you would have a truly top notch cornerback setup. Maybe Ne wouldn't have an "ace" but who does ... it would be deep and talented. 

Ne could focus on making up for it's weak SS play and mediocre pass rush without having to wonder who is going to cover WRs each week if teams go 4 wide or have an athletic TE. 

As it stands ... I expect him to get injured. Kid hasn't had an injury free year in four seasons ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He started the first few games as a rookie and didn't look out of place.  He's played here-and-there since and there was enough good play to make me think if he could get healthy and stay that way he'd be a major contributor.  The guy needs a prolonged stretch of play where he can build some consistency and give the coaching staff enough faith that his bones aren't made of glass and he can be relied upon. 

Others may disagree, but when he's played he's looked the part of CB who is athletic enough to jam receivers on the line and stay in stride with them downfield.  No easy feat for a guy his size.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

That would be a godsend. Really. 

Dowling is the best athlete out there at corner. If you could push Dennard inside, have Arrington be your dime .... you would have a truly top notch cornerback setup. Maybe Ne wouldn't have an "ace" but who does ... it would be deep and talented. 

Ne could focus on making up for it's weak SS play and mediocre pass rush without having to wonder who is going to cover WRs each week if teams go 4 wide or have an athletic TE. 

As it stands ... I expect him to get injured. Kid hasn't had an injury free year in four seasons ...

... it would be deep and talented. 

Deep and talented would be much better than having a shutdown guy IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Problem with Ras has become.... even if he puts up a good year, the shadow of injury hovers around the guy and you just can't say about him..... "one CB position solid? - check!"

It's going to take at least a couple of healthy seasons to consider him reliable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Problem with Ras has become.... even if he puts up a good year, the shadow of injury hovers around the guy and you just can't say about him..... "one CB position solid? - check!"

It's going to take at least a couple of healthy seasons to consider him reliable.

Babe, you are truly a fool. 2-years would be over half of the average career length of an NFL player. One good year is one good year! A second good year is a bonus. Now log off and go take your nap. Its after Noon already.