Latest Mock Draft- (with a bold prediction!)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

22- Jared Odrick- I have been picking brandon graham at this spot since day 1 but the more i think about it the less likely i feel the pats will snag him, i think Graham will be gone by this pick and i dont think the pats are willing to trade up for graham when they have solid options left to choose from. The addition of odrick will solidify our defensive line. with wilfork gettin a 5 year contract, ty warren signed through 2012, i think odrick can start at the 5 techniquie in the 3-4 from day 1 and also add some much needed interior pass rush in passing situations. With mike wright rotating in and the continuing development of ron brace and pryor... i like our defensive line depth. I also think the pats will take a hard look at Thomas the receiver from georgia tech if he slips to this spot.

44- TRADED TO THE STEELERS- the patriots are fully prepared to select someone at this spot when suddenly they get a call from the steelers organization. They swap 2nd round picks. steelers get the 44th and the patriots get the 52nd overall pick along with the steelers 3rd round pick 82 and a 2011 4th round pick. Why would the steelers want to move up??? TIM TEBOW. i predict with all the big ben nonsense that has been goin on, the steelers need to have a safety valve if big ben continues to have off the field issues. The steelers dont feel comfortable waiting on tim tebow to slip to the 52nd overall pick so they strike a deal with the pats.

47- Brandon Spikes- Many people had him slotted in the mid to late 1st round area, but after running back to back 5.0 40's his stock has definitely taken a fall. With that said, his film speaks for itself, at this point in the draft he is the best player available and fills a need, the pats defense is vulnerable when guyton is a 3 down linebacker. Spikes can play the first 2 downs and be a thumper in the middle and on 3rd and long guyton can bring an athletic presense where he can thrive in either blizting or dropping in coverage. If spikes isnt available at this point i wouldnt be surprised if the pats took a look at sean lee from penn state, has similar qualities when comparing to spikes, leadership, physical presense, but i think spikes has the bigger upside.

52 (from the steelers)- Dennis Pita- Prototypical h-back/ tight end. natural hands, good route runner, performed well in the combine. He is about 6'5 250, not a punishing blocker but he is serviceable in that area. we just signed crumpler so he should do the majority of the blocking ala kyle brady. I think pita can be a dallas clark type of tight end for us. Dorin dickerson is an option here too but i think pita is the more natural tight end and dickerson is only a better athlete not a better football player. (i would prefer aaron hernandez but i anticipate him being gone by this point)

53-Jason Worilds- He was problably the best player on a very good virginia tech defense. He performed well in his pro-day by running back to back sub 4.6 40's. They had him listen in the low 4.5's. He is 6'1 255, which is a little short but he has the strenth and explosiveness (ran a 4.08 in short shuttle) that BB wants in a 3-4 outside linebacker. I think he is kinda flying under the radar and is a good value in this area of the draft.

82- (from the steelers) Montario Hardesty- This could be the next "shonn greene" type steal of the draft. he doesnt have "elite speed" like cj spiller or isnt as shifty as jahvid best but i do think he fills a need on the pats roster. Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor and Kevin faulk are all past 32 years of age and the pats need some young legs in there. Maroney still has some value on this team because of how young he is but i think patience is wearing thin, especialy with his fumbling whoes this past season. Hardesty has a nice burst, i remember him running really well against good defenses this past season. SEC back with some fresh legs, thats why i prefer him over a Toby Gerhart because i think toby just has way too many carries on his legs already. Hardesty shared the load throughout his career. This doesnt solve the next "kevin faulk" dilemma but i think he can be a workhorse in between the tackles.

119- Sam Young- Solid prospect out of notre dame. The biggest problem with him is that he might only be able to play right tackle, which is why he is predicted to be drafted in the middle rounds. But i think he would be a good fit with the pats. Matt light isnt getting any younger, we already have the left tackle of the future with Sea-bass, and our current right tackle nick kaczur is spotty to say the least. I think Sam Young can compete for the right tackle position and eventualy take over, giving us a solid tackle duo along with vollmer for years to come.

190- Freddie Barnes- extremely productive receiver. Set an ncaa record with 155 catches last season. However he didnt play against great competition because he played with Bowling Green. He wasnt even invited to the combine. Many people speculate his 40 time would be pretty slow around the 4.6 or 4.7 range but he flat out performed in his college career. You wont find many recievers with this type of production.

205- O'brien Schofield- He has the talent to be drafted in the 3rd round but suffered an injury during his time in the senior bowl practices. He was one of the best pass rushers in the big ten and the leader of wisconsin, i think if he fully recovers he can make an impact on special teams and possibly situational pass rusher.

This took me a while to complete but i think this would be a great draft.

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

Re: Latest Mock Draft- (with a bold prediction!)

last year we drafted myron pryor and ron brace. we have warren, wilfork, jarvis green, and wright on our DL.  I highly doubt another top pick on DL.  I think we need to get more athletic in the middle of our defense. the guys who are 210 lbs to 270 who have elite quickness and can lay down a big hit once in a while. that's why I don't think we'll take Odrick. Another guy from Penn state who might be worthwhile is Navorro Bowman. the type of guy belichick usually won't draft but who can make a lot of plays. think about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

In Response to Re: Latest Mock Draft- (with a bold prediction!):
    last year we drafted myron pryor and ron brace. we have warren, wilfork, jarvis green, and wright on our DL.  I highly doubt another top pick on DL.  I think we need to get more athletic in the middle of our defense. the guys who are 210 lbs to 270 who have elite quickness and can lay down a big hit once in a while.
    Posted by jiminycricket

jiminycricket, Jarvis Green plays in Denver now. We do have Pryor, Brace, and Wright, but Pryor and Brace especially aren't particularly suited to play DE, and Mike Wright is a DT/DE depth guy, not a starter. I really think the Pats will have to draft a DE, preferably in the first or second round.

CaptainZdeno33, I like your mock. I'm also starting to think that Odrick will be their round one pick. I love love love Brandon Graham but I'm starting to get the horrible feeling that the Falcons will take him at #19. If he goes before 22, I like Odrick or Pouncey in the first. I think Kindle may be there, but I worry that he will be a bust.

I don't think I can condone taking Spikes even at 47 this point. A 5.0 40 is slow. Really, really slow. PLus, his production was decreasing with time at Florida and that worries me. I like OLB Koa Misi with one of their 2nds, though. He performed well at the combine and at his pro day. He could really be a great value.

I like the Pitta pick.

I like the Hardesty pick, but think you might have to use a second on him at this point. I agree he's basically Gerhart with less mileage, though. Approve.

I'm very intrigued by Freddie Barnes. I should probably check out some of his film and see what's up. That production is impressive.

Can't argue with Sam Young per se, but I'm pretty interested in OT Tony Washington since some guys brought him up in the mock draft post. He's a big time talent who will probably be a mid-round pick because of a serious mistake he made in his past.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I like the draft but I'm afraid of any Penn st player. So many busts that it's scary. From watching Odrick it's clear he's a big guy who can move, but he didn't really play the 5 technique at Penn st. He was more a shooting the gap type of guy. I can see Odrick being a complete non factor, while i like guys like Alualu (in the second) and Carrington. I'd rather they pick a guy like Pouncey in the first if Graham isn't available, and let another team take a risk on a Penn st player. 

I'd love it if the Steelers picked Tebow. Imagine the interaction between Big Ben and Tebow! I'd pay to see that.

In Response to Latest Mock Draft- (with a bold prediction!):
    Latest Mock Draft- (with a bold prediction!) 22- Jared Odrick - I have been picking brandon graham at this spot since day 1 but the more i think about it the less likely i feel the pats will snag him, i think Graham will be gone by this pick and i dont think the pats are willing to trade up for graham when they have solid options left to choose from. The addition of odrick will solidify our defensive line. with wilfork gettin a 5 year contract, ty warren signed through 2012, i think odrick can start at the 5 techniquie in the 3-4 from day 1 and also add some much needed interior pass rush in passing situations. With mike wright rotating in and the continuing development of ron brace and pryor... i like our defensive line depth. I also think the pats will take a hard look at Thomas the receiver from georgia tech if he slips to this spot. 44- TRADED TO THE STEELERS - the patriots are fully prepared to select someone at this spot when suddenly they get a call from the steelers organization. They swap 2nd round picks. steelers get the 44th and the patriots get the 52nd overall pick along with the steelers 3rd round pick 82 and a 2011 4th round pick. Why would the steelers want to move up??? TIM TEBOW. i predict with all the big ben nonsense that has been goin on, the steelers need to have a safety valve if big ben continues to have off the field issues. The steelers dont feel comfortable waiting on tim tebow to slip to the 52nd overall pick so they strike a deal with the pats. 47- Brandon Spikes - Many people had him slotted in the mid to late 1st round area, but after running back to back 5.0 40's his stock has definitely taken a fall. With that said, his film speaks for itself, at this point in the draft he is the best player available and fills a need, the pats defense is vulnerable when guyton is a 3 down linebacker. Spikes can play the first 2 downs and be a thumper in the middle and on 3rd and long guyton can bring an athletic presense where he can thrive in either blizting or dropping in coverage. If spikes isnt available at this point i wouldnt be surprised if the pats took a look at sean lee from penn state, has similar qualities when comparing to spikes, leadership, physical presense, but i think spikes has the bigger upside. 52 (from the steelers)- Dennis Pita - Prototypical h-back/ tight end. natural hands, good route runner, performed well in the combine. He is about 6'5 250, not a punishing blocker but he is serviceable in that area. we just signed crumpler so he should do the majority of the blocking ala kyle brady. I think pita can be a dallas clark type of tight end for us. Dorin dickerson is an option here too but i think pita is the more natural tight end and dickerson is only a better athlete not a better football player. (i would prefer aaron hernandez but i anticipate him being gone by this point) 53- Jason Worilds- He was problably the best player on a very good virginia tech defense. He performed well in his pro-day by running back to back sub 4.6 40's. They had him listen in the low 4.5's. He is 6'1 255, which is a little short but he has the strenth and explosiveness (ran a 4.08 in short shuttle) that BB wants in a 3-4 outside linebacker. I think he is kinda flying under the radar and is a good value in this area of the draft. 82- (from the steelers) Montario Hardesty - This could be the next "shonn greene" type steal of the draft. he doesnt have "elite speed" like cj spiller or isnt as shifty as jahvid best but i do think he fills a need on the pats roster. Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor and Kevin faulk are all past 32 years of age and the pats need some young legs in there. Maroney still has some value on this team because of how young he is but i think patience is wearing thin, especialy with his fumbling whoes this past season. Hardesty has a nice burst, i remember him running really well against good defenses this past season. SEC back with some fresh legs, thats why i prefer him over a Toby Gerhart because i think toby just has way too many carries on his legs already. Hardesty shared the load throughout his career. This doesnt solve the next "kevin faulk" dilemma but i think he can be a workhorse in between the tackles. 119- Sam Young - Solid prospect out of notre dame. The biggest problem with him is that he might only be able to play right tackle, which is why he is predicted to be drafted in the middle rounds. But i think he would be a good fit with the pats. Matt light isnt getting any younger, we already have the left tackle of the future with Sea-bass, and our current right tackle nick kaczur is spotty to say the least. I think Sam Young can compete for the right tackle position and eventualy take over, giving us a solid tackle duo along with vollmer for years to come. 190- Freddie Barnes - extremely productive receiver. Set an ncaa record with 155 catches last season. However he didnt play against great competition because he played with Bowling Green. He wasnt even invited to the combine. Many people speculate his 40 time would be pretty slow around the 4.6 or 4.7 range but he flat out performed in his college career. You wont find many recievers with this type of production. 205- O'brien Schofield - He has the talent to be drafted in the 3rd round but suffered an injury during his time in the senior bowl practices. He was one of the best pass rushers in the big ten and the leader of wisconsin, i think if he fully recovers he can make an impact on special teams and possibly situational pass rusher. This took me a while to complete but i think this would be a great draft. thoughts?
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think odrick is a real possibility in the first round. we know that BB values the D line as much as any position on the field, especially when it comes to the draft. i would be surprised if he didnt use another 1st round pick on the position. 

but i have to disagree with the rest of your draft. the steelers wont be using a high round pick on a QB (at least not this year). 

no chance spikes is a day two pick by the pats or anyone else. he has fallen way down, according to the draftnicks he could go as late as the 6th or 7th round. 

the other guys you have slated too early. personally i would like to see a DE, OLB, WR, and RB, in that order. best players available. 

as for the later rounds, its kind of a crap shoot. i would guess we will see some big bodies and one or two "project" type of guys, and hope one works out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm not the one saying that, i am repeating it. thats what kiper said on espn today. i've also heard pat kirwan, adam schefter, and charley casserly all say the same thing. yes these guys can be wrong and yes they all have agendas. but they also all have "ins" with nfl personel guys. anyway it just doesnt seem like teams think the guy can play in the NFL. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i like the odrick pick. barnes was one of my original guys in my mock but after such a poor 40 time at his pro day i dropped him for other players. I prefer Veldheer to Young, i just feel that he has more versatility and upside than Young. Schofield is in my mock as well. Spikes is over rated and a punk, no thanks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

heres the draft i propose:

#22 Round 1 (traded)

Brandon Marshall WR (Denver Broncos)     for the 22nd pick in this year’s draftor select Jared odrick DE (penn state)

Round 2

# 44 Jerry Hughes OLB (TCU)

#47 Rob Gronkowski TE (Arizona)

#53 Jared Veldheer OT (Hillsdale) Height: 6-8   Weight: 315

Round 4

Vince Oghobaase DE (Duke)     HT: 6'6" | WT: 300

Positives:
    -Disruptive at the point of attack, does a nice job finding gaps and getting into the backfield
    -Plays with appropriate pad level, good lower-body strength makes him a valuable run stuffer
    -Very athletic given his frame, shows surprising agility, initial quickness and lateral movement
    -Uses his hands well to fend off blockers and make the tackle
    -Can tie up multiple offensive linemen
    -High football IQ
    -Started every game in his career prior to this season's injury
    -Would be best off as a 3-4 defensive end, but has enough size as strength to fit in a 4-3

Round 5

O'Brien Schofield OLB/ILB (Wisconsin)  

He tore his ACL during Senior Bowl practices.  He was a solid 2-3 round pick prior to the injury.  Now he could go 6-7 round or undrafted.  Schofield projects to ILB in the NFL.  He states he's 6-2+, 245-250.  He claims during a Junior Pro Day he ran a 4.43 in shorts on field turf, a school record.  Officially his 40 is 4.63 which is still pretty decent.

Obviously he will need a year to recover and return to form but maybe he'd be worth a 6-7th rounder, let him sit out and learn while he rehabs.  If he returns to form in 2011, it would be such a nice gain hopefully like what we hope happens with McKenzie this year. 

Round 6 (we will receive one compensatory 6th round pick)

Perry Riley OLB (LSU)

Joe Webb QB/WR (UAB)-(the next endelman)

He had an 11-foot, five-inch broad jump, 42.5-inch vertical jump and a 4.43 40-yard dash. The former Blazers quarterback is being looked at primarily as a receiver (he caught 30 passes for 459 yards and three touchdowns as a sophomore.  passed for 2,367 yards and rushed for 1,021 … ranked No. 48 in the country and sixth in C-USA in rushing (85.1 avg.) … shattered the C-USA records for rushing yards by a quarterback in a single season with his 1,021 … ranked fourth in the nation for rushing yards among QBs … accounted for 21 touchdowns, rushing for 11 and passing 10 … connected on 59 percent of his passes … passed for more than 200 yards in six games … season rushing total of 1,021 is only the second 1,000-plus performance in school history for a his season … passing total for yards is UAB's fifth-highest in school history … rushed for more than 100 yards in four games

Round 7 (most likely we will receive three 7th round compensatory picks + Philly’s + Denvers)

Zoltan Mesko P (Michigan) or Jeremy Boone P (Penn State)

Richard Dickson TE/FB (LSU)

Chris Marinelli OT (Stanford) could be groomed to take over for neal at OG

He has the versatility to play guard or tackle at the next level, thanks to his intelligence, size, strength, foot speed and nasty streak. That's a lot of things for NFL offensive line coaches to like

Curtis Steele RB (Memphis)

Patrick Stoudamire CB (Western Illinois)

UDFA

Trindon Holiday WR/KR (LSU) 5-5, 162, 4.27 small but extremely fast with good hands.

Jeff Byers OL (USC) Height: 6-4 | Weight: 301

Byers' versatility, intelligence, competitive nature and underrated athleticism give him a chance to have a long NFL career in the pivot. Rarely rocked back or pushed into the backfield. Even when he stops his feet, can remain engaged with his long arms. Has the mobility and toughness to be effective in a zone-blocking scheme. Gets low in short-yardage situations to win leverage battles. Highly intelligent and plays with good hustle and a mean streak.

Sam Shields WR/CB (Miami FL)  Height: 5-11 | Weight: 183 | 10” hands |sub 4.4 40 time

Nolan Carroll CB (Maryland) Height: 6-0 | Weight: 204 | 4.37 40 time 

J’Marcus Webb  OT  (west Texas A&M) Height: 6-7 | Weight: 335

Jeron Mastrud, TE  (Kansas State) Height: 6-6 | Weight: 256

This son of a high school football coach brings intelligence (2008-09 Academic All-American), character (named to AFCA Good Works team) and underrated athleticism to the tight end position.

Scott Long, WR (Louisville) Height: 6-2 | Weight: 216

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i'd love to see him in a pats uni but i highly doubt he will be there at 22 thus the reason i traded the pick for marshall or chose to select odrick

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucky13calistyle. Show lucky13calistyle's posts

I agree that the Pats go DE at #22.  It all starts up front!

The D-Line was the core of our stout championship defenses with Seymour playing at an all-pro level and huge 350 lb plus nose tackles who could continuasly handle double teams.

As presently constructed Wilfork is this teams Seymour and Ty Warren is a perfect fit in our 3-4 at defensive end, just as our DT's were during the superbowl years.

With Jarvis Green gone to Denver, who in my opinion was only slightly better than league average, an aggresive point of attack defensive end would really help to solidify the defense.  I believe adding another first round talent to a line that already consists of Wilfork and Warren would also help to improve the other areas of our defense.

You can argue that three of the four linebacker positions are already filled by returning starters in Mayo, Tully and Guyton.  I also think BB ultimately wants to see what he has in McKenzie and Crable, two players he has spoken highly of but have yet to reach the field due to injuries.  Therefore I see LB as being more of a depth position for the Pats in this years draft, where I think they will use no more than one of the three second rounders and maybe like a fifth or sixth rounder as well.

As for the other two second round picks I'm thinking an offensive lineman and a tight end sound about right, with the order of the three second rounders being decided simply by best player available at the time.

The secondary is also pretty much set with returning players.  Merriweather and Bodden are locks as returning starters.  The safety position has good depth with Brandon McGowan, James Sanders and Patrick Chung all in the mix.  As for cornerback, I think BB is looking for one some combination Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley, and Jonathan Wilhite, all high draft choices in their own right, to soldify the starting spot opposite Bodden with the others filling the nickle and dime roles.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The trade of pick #44 to Steelers for Tebow I don't by for many reasons, the most important one is if Big Ben is out for a while (suspension) Tebow does nothing to solve that problem. They need a QB that can step in and lead immediately and that isn't happening with Tebow. He needs a couple years at best to work on his throwing motion and I know I know I will  be killed for this but I don't see him becoming a good NFL QB. He has the size and arm strength but I am not convinced a guy can be accurate enough after changing his mechanics when he was never considered an accurate passer to begin with. Too Many questions there... I also think they will trade a second round pick to move up or back just not sure which way they go. they could even use  one to move up in the first round and then use another to gain a 3rd and 5th for example. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

The asking price for Marshall in a trade is down to a second round pick, so it would be a waste of a first to acquire him.  That being said, I doubt the Pats would do it based on the fact they are trying to create a harmonious locker room.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

strange that you think spikes is a punk but you want brandon marshall. one eye gouge in an otherwise outstanding career doesnt really measure up to marshall's resume of bad behavior. personally i wouldnt mind taking a flier on spikes with a late round pick. his timed speed is awful but he was such a productive player, he's worth a late round look i would think.
    but seriously, forget about marshall...its not happening!

i like the odrick pick. barnes was one of my original guys in my mock but after such a poor 40 time at his pro day i dropped him for other players. I prefer Veldheer to Young, i just feel that he has more versatility and upside than Young. Schofield is in my mock as well. Spikes is over rated and a punk, no thanks.
    Posted by natesubs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]strange that you think spikes is a punk but you want brandon marshall. one eye gouge in an otherwise outstanding career doesnt really measure up to marshall's resume of bad behavior

Eye gouge = no big deal ?

Hmmm , just curious , where do you stand on the issue of Date Rape ?
    Third world genit al mutilation ? Bad sitcom writing ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

strange that you think spikes is a punk but you want brandon marshall.

My immediate thoughts exactly. Spikes had an on-field incident.

Marshall has been snuggly with murders, and punches women in the face and drives drunk.

There isn't even a comparison. I have watched Spikes for years, and without referencing absolute talent, he is exactly the kind of guy you want in the locker room. The emotional and physical leader of a very, very impressive Florida defense these last few years. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

strange that you think spikes is a punk but you want brandon marshall. My immediate thoughts exactly. Spikes had an on-field incident. Marshall has been snuggly with murders, and punches women in the face and drives drunk. There isn't even a comparison. I have watched Spikes for years, and without referencing absolute talent, he is exactly the kind of guy you want in the locker room. The emotional and physical leader of a very, very impressive Florida defense these last few years. 
    Posted by zbellino

Marshall performs on the field and behaves on the field, spikes tries to gouge peoples eyes out. plus he is over rated and is not really the top defensive player on the florida defense, he is not the reason they are that good on defense, they are good on defense because they always get ahead early thus making the opposing offense one dimensional. 

I believe that marshall will behave in Belichick's locker room.  He is a great player. We do not need another ILB we have mckenzie, guyton, and mayo. spikes would just be another guy on the bench.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have a tough time seeing the Patriots trade #44 for #52 and small change.  The problem is that the #52 and #53 picks are then next to each other. 

There's a value to having two picks at a good distance from each other, because at either spot some odd coach (such as Norv Turner of San Diego, who goes for the bait more than his share) will be itching and dying for a particular player and will jump up (at a big profit of course). 

On the flip side, the odds that two really ripe players are hanging together at one draft point, in this case #52 and #53, are slim.  The Pats should not put themselves in that position of having to draft one ripe player and one ordinary player, if nobody wants to trade.  Spreading the picks apart from each other reduces the risk.