Latest on Talib from espn boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Latest on Talib from espn boston

In putting together this story on the Patriots' Friday free-agent frenzy, it was mentioned that one line of business that still remains unresolved is the status of corneback Aqib Talib. 

This is what we've learned on the situation based on reporting to this point: 

The Patriots have interest in Talib's return, and part of the reason Talib hasn't signed anywhere at this point has been the slow-shaping market for cornerbacks, which started to develop more clearly Thursday and turned out to be lower than many anticipated. 

So from Talib's perspective, the question is whether he takes a multi-year deal at a total figure that he believes doesn't match his worth, or a shorter-term deal that gives him the opportunity to put together a solid 2013 season and then potentially hit the market again in 2014. 

If Talib leans toward the shorter-term deal, the Patriots would have the edge on most of their competition because of their salary cap flexibility and willingness to pay a top market price to retain him, as well as Talib's belief that returning to New England would put him in a high-profile situation to showcase his talent to potential suitors in 2014. 

Based on these dynamics in play, if the Patriots ultimately do re-sign Talib, don't be surprised if it's on a one-year deal.

What do you guy think one year or pay a little more and try to get a multi-year deal?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Latest on Talib from espn boston

id rather have the guy for another 1 year prove himself deal then fork over a bunch of cash to a player with question marks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I want the one year deal option on this guy, which would hopefully result in him going out and playing hard this season so he can ask for a good future contract.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If Talib was smart he'd ask for a two year deal to get on the market when the cap expands. I've said this all offseason 2/10mil seems like the right price for both parties. Talib gets market value right now and gets on the market when it expands and te Pats get a fair market deal and the CB they need for 2yrs short term in case Talib doesn't perform

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Again, give me one year and if he can prove he can be out on the field all season or at least most of the season and when the Pats need him most then I wouldn't mind signing him to a multi year deal next season.  Don't want him on the books for 2 years and sitting in the trainers room most of the season including the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

One year sounds ideal for both he and the team.  I just can't recall a DB with his skill set playing for the Pats in long time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

A two year deal would seem ideal for Talib. A little more short term security and as others have pointed out he hits the market in 2015, still young and the cap likely going up.

For the Pats a one year deal makes some sense. Sign him for 5-6 mil range, roughly half of what franchising him would have cost and let him show he can stay healthy, out of trouble, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Again, give me one year and if he can prove he can be out on the field all season or at least most of the season and when the Pats need him most then I wouldn't mind signing him to a multi year deal next season.  Don't want him on the books for 2 years and sitting in the trainers room most of the season including the playoffs.

If you sign him for one year and he is good he wont be back. If he is a little less than you expected you might not want him back but instead go after a replacement.

IF HE IS WILLING TO SIGN FOR 2 to 3 I think you make up your mind about him. He has been here and in practice every day and played games long enough that you should have a real opinion. Man up and decide - unless he is only willing for one year. In that case man up and decide whether you like someone else just as much who can be signed for 2-3 years.