League Bias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

League Bias

How do you justify taking away a 1st round pick in addition to imposing a hefty fine for filming something in plain sight, and then only fine the Broncos $100,000.00 a few years later for actually breaking into and recording an opponents closed, team practice?

Not as if I needed any, but this is the final confirmation that the whole "spy-gate" thing was complete BS. There is no possible way to make a case that this is less severe than what the Pats did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: League Bias

The only rationale I can see for the disparity was the charge that the Pats tactics were institutional and had been going on throughout Belichick's tenure. This is where Goodell destroying the tapes really calls into question what he did or did not see in the "evidence."

Now weve got an infraction that would appear far more egregious than simply placing a perfectly legal camera at the wrong angle, that is disciplined with a far less severe penalty and a lot of doublespeak from the parties involved. It's a pretty clear indication -- as if we didn't already know -- that Goodell bringing the hammer down on Kraft and Belichick had little to do with the actual misinterpretation of the rules and almost everything to do with an egomaniacal display of power.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

This commissioner has to go. The league office is so inconsistent in dealing with rule violations and the fines that no-one knows what to do. You have players questioning how they should play and tackle, film crews as to how and where to film, and owners as to what are they suppose to do about any or all of it. The Pats get slammed for filming, Denver gets slap on the wrist, Jets get off scott-free all for same violation. This is an office run amuck. The CBA is still to resolved and I have zero confidence that the NFL offices has the competence to get it done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Jonathan Kraft for Commissioner!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: League Bias:
    [QUOTE]This commissioner has to go. The league office is so inconsistent in dealing with rule violations and the fines that no-one knows what to do. You have players questioning how they should play and tackle, film crews as to how and where to film, and owners as to what are they suppose to do about any or all of it. The Pats get slammed for filming, Denver gets slap on the wrist, Jets get off scott-free all for same violation. This is an office run amuck. The CBA is still to resolved and I have zero confidence that the NFL offices has the competence to get it done.
    Posted by harleyroadking1[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it is the Commish is a NY fan (growing up in NY after all), given his work history it does have a pattern. The Jets call was a favor for his former team (he was an intern in 83), the Denver call was what the actual fines should be, and the Pats call was part abuse of power, media driven, over reaction, and finally maybe a little bias towards the Pats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

There are rules for the Pats.  Exemptions, rule changes, and special calls for the Colts, then there is the rest of the league and the rules they follow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Belichick basically snubbed his nose at Goodel so Roger Ramjet had a hissy fit and blasted the Pat's with the fines and loss of the first rounder.  It just goes to show you what a vindictive pr*ck Goodel is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

McDaniels is claiming that he didn't watch the 6 minute tape.  Whether he's being honest or not, that's why this punishment is different.

But yeah, this whole thing is a crock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

il keep it simple.

Patriots Won.

Broncos Lost.

thats why we got penalized and they got off easy. This whole thing was a media driven bunch of BS. goodell wouldnt have done anything if it wasnt for the media pushing it so hard. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The Broncos should lose exactly what the Patriots lost. I don't care if McDaniels didn't watch it (so he claims) or not, the organization had a paid employee film the practice. The league set the standard for what the penalty should be, and the Broncos should have to pay what the Pats paid.

I'm very upset about this. The hatred on the Pats is incredible. Seeing how unjust the league office is has made me lose all respect I had left for Goodell.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]The only rationale I can see for the disparity was the charge that the Pats tactics were institutional and had been going on throughout Belichick's tenure. This is where Goodell destroying the tapes really calls into question what he did or did not see in the "evidence." Now weve got an infraction that would appear far more egregious than simply placing a perfectly legal camera at the wrong angle, that is disciplined with a far less severe penalty and a lot of doublespeak from the parties involved. It's a pretty clear indication -- as if we didn't already know -- that Goodell bringing the hammer down on Kraft and Belichick had little to do with the actual misinterpretation of the rules and almost evrything to do with an egomaniacal display of power.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I think it is a combination of things:

1.) Goodell was going nuts when he first came in, and all his penalties were "league records." It was like the new prisoner in jail punching the toughest guy he sees .... he was making a name for himself.
    2.) The Denver Broncos supposedly self-reported the incident, albeit very late.

I think those were the reasons that the penalties were different. I would tend to think that if they had not done that, then the penalty would have been been in severe excess of what NE got, simply because spying on a practice is a whole different batch of brownies than having a camera at field level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]This commissioner has to go. The league office is so inconsistent in dealing with rule violations and the fines that no-one knows what to do. You have players questioning how they should play and tackle, film crews as to how and where to film, and owners as to what are they suppose to do about any or all of it. The Pats get slammed for filming, Denver gets slap on the wrist, Jets get off scott-free all for same violation. This is an office run amuck. The CBA is still to resolved and I have zero confidence that the NFL offices has the competence to get it done.
    Posted by harleyroadking1[/QUOTE]

It'll get done, you see who head the honcho is don't you? None other than RK, and if anybody can complete a business deal he can!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

[QUOTE]This is where Goodell destroying the tapes really calls into question what he did or did not see in the "evidence."
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

The tapes were destroyed because they contained proof of other clubs doing the same thing.  They wanted to destroy the tapes to avoid the appearance that taping was as widespread as the former NFL coaches were all saying it was.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The league bias against the PATS makes their accomplishments even more amazing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]The only rationale I can see for the disparity was the charge that the Pats tactics were institutional and had been going on throughout Belichick's tenure. This is where Goodell destroying the tapes really calls into question what he did or did not see in the "evidence." Now weve got an infraction that would appear far more egregious than simply placing a perfectly legal camera at the wrong angle, that is disciplined with a far less severe penalty and a lot of doublespeak from the parties involved. It's a pretty clear indication -- as if we didn't already know -- that Goodell bringing the hammer down on Kraft and Belichick had little to do with the actual misinterpretation of the rules and almost evrything to do with an egomaniacal display of power.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Read on ESPN that the guy taped the practice, gave it to the coach, and he refused to view it - I think the Bronco's turned themselves in and informed the commissioner's office - I think the fine was that they let a bit too much time elapse. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rexy - As the evidence continues to mount against the subversive teachings of Bill Belichick, Pats fans are left with nothing but whine.  There's really no way to defend themselves.  At least they can drown their sorrows.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

this is more pathetic than the whining the Sox did incessently about the Yankees..and I HATE the Yankees.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]Rexy - As the evidence continues to mount against the subversive teachings of Bill Belichick, Pats fans are left with nothing but whine.  There's really no way to defend themselves.  At least they can drown their sorrows.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Drowning our sorrows with a 9-2 record...lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to League Bias:
    [QUOTE]How do you justify taking away a 1st round pick in addition to imposing a hefty fine for filming something in plain sight, and then only fine the Broncos $100,000.00 a few years later for actually breaking into and recording an opponents closed, team practice? Not as if I needed any, but this is the final confirmation that the whole "spy-gate" thing was complete BS. There is no possible way to make a case that this is less severe than what the Pats did.
    Posted by e4smith[/QUOTE]

ENOUGH ALREADY!

Anyone recall when the Family Medical Leave Act came into being? It provides UNPAID leave (up to 6 months) for a family member to care for another one, without fear of losing their job. It was intended to cover things like: new births/adoptions, serious illness, longer term care, etc. Yet, somehow once passed and rolled out.announced, EVERYONE felt, well, ENTITLED to it. Not that they could possible qualify for it at some time, but feel actually ENTITLED to it. Too much discretion was given to company management to determine who or if an employee qualified. Instead of sticking to the letter or the spirit of the Act, many management folks decided by their OWN means testing who would be qualified. In other words, unqualified people made these decisions. As a result, my bif large financial corporation, FMLA was granted for things like: colds, flu, sprained ankles, day surgery/recovery, etc, with an inordinate number of requests falling around major holidays (like between Thanksgiving and Christmas), well identified vacation time (around the 4th of July), etc. What's this got to do with the Pats?

Since they got caught and penalized, we, as Pats fans, somehow feel entitled to determine exactly what punishment should be handed out to any and all transgressors. And why not? The Pats were the first team "caught", and the penalty message was sent out. So, we all feel like experts in the matter, even though we are: 1) jaded by the event  2) looking like little kids gleefully pointing out, "See? They did it TOO!", as if that lets us of the hook  and  3) ANY punishment of this infraction MUST be comeserate with what the Pats penalty was. Pretty sad for a bunch of non-insiders. Sure, everyone did it, but the Pats got caught. Like Gramdma said: If Little Johnny jumped off the roof for no reason...."   My uncle, a retired cop said it best: "I don't care if everyone was speeding; I caught YOU!"

LET IT GO!

We expect yahoo troll of inferior NFL teams to stop with the "Spygate" garbage, yet here we are demanding the same penalty without full knowledge of the facts. I'm 1000% positive that ALL the facts have not been divulged to the public, nor will they be. The NFL warned every team INDIVIDUALLY not to carry on with the video stuff, yet the Pats pushed the envelope. They got burned by their own hand.

There's no more league bias agains the Pats than there is an unlimited find of sweet crude oil under Worcester. LET IT GO!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

From the transcript of Jimmy Johnson's interview where he says that the best signal stealer in the league worked for Tony Dungy.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you’re going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That’s what I’m saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimer’s scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that’s how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.