Less Woodhead More Ridley!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Less Woodhead More Ridley!!

Why is Woodhead getting this many carries? I just can't figure out why they aren't using a guy (Ridley) who was a beast in week one and has proved he's the number 1 back? If i see them give the ball to Woodhead for another series, I think I'm going to stick a sharp pencil into my temple!! It just doesn't make sense. I don't believe in any conspiracy crap like the whole Welker fiasco...as that was proven to be complete nonsense last night. But can anyone explain why the he!! they are not using Ridley more? Woodhead sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Less Woodhead More Ridley!!

I agree.

It can only be some combination of two things:

-Ridley can't catch, and I'd like to see him fail at this before benching him

-Ridley can't pick up the blitz well. I'll take the coaches word at this as failing on the field in this way could get Brady killed.

But, overall, I agree. It frustrates me to see him get carries. At best, he'll scamper for 5 yards. Ridley had a few nice runs where he ripped off close to 10, at times right up the gut of that very good DLine. His most impressive run, to me, might have been when he should have taken a 3-4 yard loss, and managed a 1 yard gain. He is a talented runner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

It's almost like they are using Woodhead for some tough power yards.....how can they see this as being the best option?? We need some tough yards so let's send in the smurf? We finally have talent at RB, but we opt for a runt.....seriously??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont think that was the case at all. It looked like Woodhead was playing the "hurry up" offense snaps. The actual play called in the "hurry up" was Brady's option depending on what he saw at the line. So Woody running or catching the screen pass, is Bradys decision.

I thought Woody handled the blitz very well, and is very secure with ball control. While I think Rice is stronger up the middle, I also thought he had more holes to run thru than Woody did...

I liked Ridleys blitz pickup in this game. I still feel he runs with the ball not tight against his body, with ball security in question as tacklers are tackling the ball rather than Ridley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree.

It can only be some combination of two things:

-Ridley can't catch, and I'd like to see him fail at this before benching him

-Ridley can't pick up the blitz well. I'll take the coaches word at this as failing on the field in this way could get Brady killed.

But, overall, I agree. It frustrates me to see him get carries. At best, he'll scamper for 5 yards. Ridley had a few nice runs where he ripped off close to 10, at times right up the gut of that very good DLine. His most impressive run, to me, might have been when he should have taken a 3-4 yard loss, and managed a 1 yard gain. He is a talented runner.

[/QUOTE]

Option 2 is your answer,  Woody as small as he is, is a willing blocker.  They are trying to keep TB upright.  Same reason Gronk was blocking most of the night.

The O-line still needs a lot of help, unfortunately.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This is from last night....I agree completely.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why we won't give Ridley a shot in the shotgun/pass protect role? Woodhead getting 15 carries for 34 yards was killing drives, and if not for Brady and his amazing 3rd down accuracy Woody would have really screwed us. I know he had the td, but honestly it was because the Ravens couldn't believe we were going to keep running him when he was getting shut down all game.

I agree with the game plan of spreading the ravens out, but I wish we could have used Rid in that role. Ridley has the power and explosion that Woody has none of, and we were running him into a ravens wall? The 2nd and long we ran Woody on our 2nd to last drive really blew my mind, we settled for the FG when we needed to ice the game. I like that McD is bringing back a run game and different formations, but Woodhead and his inefficiency has cost us the last 2 games...imo.

Hope to see Vareen healthy soon

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Coaches need to rework their philosophy and rewatch the last 2 games film!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Coaches need to rework their philosophy and rewatch the last 2 games film!

[/QUOTE]

why is that? Pats out played both Cards and Ravens, but lost on the last play of the game each time. The problem has been with the execution, not the plan. That is on the players, not the coaches.

Realistically, Pats should have beaten the Cards 27-10, with out the breakdowns the players had.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

So rkarp,

Are you saying that you think giving the smurf 15 carries against a giant Dline like the Ravens is a good game plan? Especially with a speedy powerful Ridley sitting on the sidelines? I understand certain pass protections are in order, and Ridley still might need some learning there, but handing the ball to Woodhead 15 times is insane.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

So rkarp,

Are you saying that you think giving the smurf 15 carries against a giant Dline like the Ravens is a good game plan? Especially with a speedy powerful Ridley sitting on the sidelines? I understand certain pass protections are in order, and Ridley still might need some learning there, but handing the ball to Woodhead 15 times is insane.

[/QUOTE]

I am saying that the PAst coaching staff is more comfortable with Woodhead in the hurry up offense. I am also saying that based on what Brady saw from the Ravens defense, he thought Woodhead was his best option.

I thought Ridley was fine with his blocks. We did see him drop a screen pass. I dont like how he carries the ball away from his body.

I thought Woodhead ran hard, but had limited holes to operate with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am saying that the PAst coaching staff is more comfortable with Woodhead in the hurry up offense. I am also saying that based on what Brady saw from the Ravens defense, he thought Woodhead was his best option.

I thought Ridley was fine with his blocks. We did see him drop a screen pass. I dont like how he carries the ball away from his body.

[/QUOTE]

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I see Woodhead as a useless option carrying the ball 15 times against a dline like the Ravens, as I believe he averaged like 2.3 YPC. I'd bet the farm Ridley would have been more productive with those carries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no problem disagreeing. my point is that anyone would have trouble gaining yardage with no holes. Ridley avg was 2.8 last night...so its not like he had much room either

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I see Woodhead as a useless option carrying the ball 15 times against a dline like the Ravens, as I believe he averaged like 2.3 YPC. I'd bet the farm Ridley would have been more productive with those carries.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Why is Woodhead getting this many carries? I just can't figure out why they aren't using a guy (Ridley) who was a beast in week one and has proved he's the number 1 back? If i see them give the ball to Woodhead for another series, I think I'm going to stick a sharp pencil into my temple!! It just doesn't make sense. I don't believe in any conspiracy crap like the whole Welker fiasco...as that was proven to be complete nonsense last night. But can anyone explain why the he!! they are not using Ridley more? Woodhead sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

said the same all gaem thread. ridley and bloden when you need a run. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]

why is that? Pats out played both Cards and Ravens, but lost on the last play of the game each time. The problem has been with the execution, not the plan. That is on the players, not the coaches.

Realistically, Pats should have beaten the Cards 27-10, with out the breakdowns the players had.

[/QUOTE]

how did Patriots outplay the Cards and Ravens?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you TanBass.  Use Ridley and let him be the Patriots 'bellcow' at RB. My goodness.....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I know it bad to say but I really was hoping Woodhead would sprain his ankle, so McD would be forced to use anyone else...