Let Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis Play Over Laura Maroney...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Let Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis Play Over Laura Maroney...

With Taylor out for the time being, I say use Law Firm over Laura....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Let Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis Play Over Laura Maroney...

We saw the perfect back for the New England offense in week 1. Fred Jackson is a great RB, he picks up the Blitz ok, he can catch the ball and move the chains, and he is always laughing. 

How's about we ship a draft pick to upstate NY, and get an all-around back?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Buffalo wouldn't ship Jackson to a division rival.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Let Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis Play Over Laura Maroney...:
    [QUOTE]Green-Ellis produced with a Cassel led offense.  I am sure he'll do fine in between the tackles with Brady under Center.  Impressive kid.  I'd give him the reigns and let him go 20 times with it on Sunday.  Keep mixing in Morris and Faulk, obviously as well.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

It'll be interesting to see if BJGE get many touches or not.  For some reasone, BB is sticking w/ Maroney...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tranquilrivers. Show tranquilrivers's posts

I could not agree more, I hope that they let Green-Ellis have the snaps that would have been reserved for Fred taylor now that he is hurt.  I keep hoping I will see something from Maroney, but week in and out he squanders the snaps he gets with nothing more than 4-5 yards at best (thats okay but I expect that from a 1st rounder, I am looking for the 10 yard bursts)  I Like Maroney, and want to see him do well, but I think the time is running out for him.  I place some blame with Ivan Fears the Pats RB coach.  If its his job to coach and help players his efforts do not seem to be working as maroney still insists on juking back and forth when he gets the ball.  I sometimes wonder if maroney really wants to be in the NFL anymore or if he lost his heart for the position along with some of the hits he has taken.  You gotta wonder if he is just trying to say the right things and stay alive for another paycheck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

Check his numbers from Preseason Game 4 v. Giants.  He ran for 125 yards on 29 (for pete's sake) carries!  He broke out for a 32 yards gain!  He ran in for THREE TDs!!!  He caught 4 passes for 22 yards.  As I recall, he didn't drop ANY.

Bring on the Firm!  Ben-Jarvis Ham-Stein-Berg-Meister Green-Ellis!

Let LM have the best seat in the house to watch true talent in action.  Sorry, LB, you just never caught on to what works.  Learn it somewhere else.

I am predicting BJGE will carry a baker's dozen... and have points to show for it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

[QUOTE]Check his numbers from Preseason Game 4 v. Giants.  He ran for 125 yards on 29 (for pete's sake) carries!  He broke out for a 32 yards gain!  He ran in for THREE TDs!!!  He caught 4 passes for 22 yards.  As I recall, he didn't drop ANY. Bring on the Firm!  Ben-Jarvis Ham-Stein-Berg-Meister Green-Ellis! Let LM have the best seat in the house to watch true talent in action.  Sorry, LB, you just never caught on to what works.  Learn it somewhere else. I am predicting BJGE will carry a baker's dozen... and have points to show for it!
    Posted by ConcordWiggin[/QUOTE]

Good plan, Concord.

Now how do we get Denver to play their 3rd string defense vs BJGE?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis Play Over Laura Maroney... : Good plan, Concord. Now how do we get Denver to play their 3rd string defense vs BJGE?
    Posted by bobomul[/QUOTE]

LOL. Yes, that was during pre-season.  However, I think he should have earned some playing time after last season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Didn't he average 3.7 ypc last season? While that is excellent for an undrafted rookie, it's not all that impressive otherwise. But it's still better than Maroney's 2.9 ypc average so far this year.
    Morris looked pretty good last week, so I expect to see more of him. Faulk will continue to be on the field in 3 WR sets. Maroney will give Morris an occasional rest. BJGE will likely get a few snaps late in the game (assuming the Patriots are winning).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I still love the way Sammy and Kevin work together.  Lets just use them.  Give laurie a mop and tell him to make himself useful.  We should call the guy skippy.  all he does is put his and on a linemans backside and skip around till tackled.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Maroney's has averaged about 4.3 ypc over his first years. He was running hard in the first 3 games. Granted he did not look good against Baltimore but the OL looked pretty bad on most of his runs.

Look at the player, not statistics. Except for a play or two last week, when the blocking had all but totally broken down, he is taking what is there and not dancing.

The one thing I am not sure about is whether he can stay healthy enough to be effective and you wont know that till he has had a lot of touches.

Maroney should stay in the mix. He should also be used more often as a reviever where he can use his combination of strength and speed in space. More tosses each game would add some big plays to the offense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FoxboroughGuy. Show FoxboroughGuy's posts

Maroney makes sense catching the ball.  Good moves in space.  he doesnt pound the ball well - not enough violence in his running.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

As a somewhat more educated casual viewer, I'm almost certain they run this play to Maroney more than half of the time from the same personnel set (11 - 1 tight end, 1 running back):

And the line gets their a**es handed to them almost every time.  I think it's gotten so predictable that they're going to run this play when Maroney is in the game that it's easy for defenses to defend.  If the line fires off the line of scrimmage and flow goes in one or the other direction, the play is obvious.  Faulk and Taylor have had a lot of their success running from the shotgun formation on draws or in passing situations.  I also noticed that Maroney has more success on play calls that are straight ahead runs (3-4yds/carry).  I think at the very least they should start running counters.  I haven't seen one counter all year.  At the rate that they're getting defenses to bite on the stretch play, they should at least run a counter to make them pay for overplaying to one side of the field.  But even more importantly, I'd like to see Maroney get opportunities to run in other formations in non-running situations to see what he can do.  I also like him in space, especially after he made that linebacker miss on his run-and-catch last week.  I'd like to see if he can split out wide like Morris did, catch the ball, and make someone miss (or use his stiff arm, which is an excellent stiff arm).

Yes, I think Maroney should cut it up the field and get what he can (Taylor has had a couple carries this year where he managed to make himself small by turning his body kind of sideways and getting the 2-3 yds that were there), but no I don't think the fault is entirely his.  I think it also falls on the line to execute their zone blocking (which is when the whole line steps in the same direction and then blocks whoever is in front of them; I'm almost certain that this is the blocking scheme when the Patriots run their version of the stretch play) and on the play calling (something other than that same stretch play) to help give Maroney no excuses.

By the way, Taylor got injured on that same stretch play.  He lost 2 yards.  It was the third quarter.  I don't think it was just Maroney getting killed by that play.

Also, the Patriots ran a few play action passes with Maroney in the backfield last week against the Ravens with some success, and I think part of the success was the apparent obviousness of Maroney getting the ball when he's on the field in single back formation.  Brady's return to form will force defenses to play more honestly, which should open up running room for everybody.

Either way, it's important for whoever carries the ball this week to take what's there immediately because the Broncos' front seven is evidently very fast - if so, then they'll rally to the ball if there's any hesitation.  

I think our line could just run them over and plow ahead, though, so we'll see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Didn't he average 3.7 ypc last season? While that is excellent for an undrafted rookie, it's not all that impressive otherwise. But it's still better than Maroney's 2.9 ypc average so far this year. Morris looked pretty good last week, so I expect to see more of him. Faulk will continue to be on the field in 3 WR sets. Maroney will give Morris an occasional rest. BJGE will likely get a few snaps late in the game (assuming the Patriots are winning).
    Posted by Ritchie_az[/QUOTE]

You're right. We would all be mistaken if we thought BJGE was a feature back. He isn't. But, I've seen enough of him from last year - and got the impression that he runs north-south, appears to follow his blocks better, and seems to be able to find a hole better than Laura.

The problem w/ BJGE - is he one-dimensional? Can he catch, block, and get YAC? He can't/doesn't return kickoffs either. Since there's an open roster start - it would be interesting to see if he is on the active roster - and will get some touches.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Now is the perfect time to play BJGE.I love seeing people repeating the words I was almost vilified for when I called out Larry Maroney in the pre seson.(Dancer,Faulks replacement at best, good in space.... etc....)So once again I lay the truth on you.It's early enough in the season to give this kid a chance . Should he succeed against (at least this early season) a good defense,what it would do  not only for his but Belichick's confidence in him would be amazing.Let's remember....."Confidence is very sexy"This is a league of constant transition and I am sure BB will find a way to make the best out of a bad situation once again.Remember,the D was supposed to blow!If his problem is in pass protection,then keep it simple for him(have him watch the guy who Matt Light is blocking)The running part he has had down since birth.Play the man,See what he can do,because if Sammy Morris goes down(another old man),BJGE is the only back on the team I would trust in 3rd or 4th and short.Baptism under fire is the best way to find the true warriors.
    Posted by leatherhelmet[/QUOTE]

I hear ya - and agree w/ your assessment of laura. There are more people than you think who didn't like Maroney even before Taylor's injury. I can't prove it, but I always thought he had a high average (especially in 2007) was because we were so way ahead in points - that the defensive coverage was more concerned about the long ball vs. runs - thus, an artificially inflated run statistic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcordWiggin. Show ConcordWiggin's posts

Another thing about Maroney is that his "average" YPC is deceptive because he gets a long run every now and then (which is good)... but so many times while he does his prancing behind the line, he too often gets -1 to +1 yard(s).

How can you have so many "posters" for so long pointing this out, and yet the guy still hardly ever dives for that extra 1-2 yards.   It seems that LM looks way down field, as if he expects to find a big opening every time.  That just isn't realistic in the NFL. 

I expect with Fred's career basically over, we will see more changes than just the return of Seau.  

If I were the broncos, I wouldn't want to see BJGE out there. 

[To Bobo...  yes, Preseason Game 4 was against 3-4 stringers, but those are guys who have made it to the NFL, and many such guys are playing at this point in the season due to injuries.  Happens every year.  I base my assessment on BJGE's moves and decisions.  That will work on denver's current defense... better than LM's!
    And hey, ain't nobody want to see that px you use.  Give us a break.  haha]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

[QUOTE]Maroney makes sense catching the ball.  Good moves in space.  he doesnt pound the ball well - not enough violence in his running.
    Posted by FoxboroughGuy[/QUOTE]

Maroney's biggest problem with fans is he was a waste of a 1st round draft pick... he's the only 1st round pick  who came in as a rookie looking good, and went downhill from there.

You take away that rookie season, and he's done almost nothing worth talking about (certianly nothing any other RB in the NFL couldn't have done).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ozfree1. Show ozfree1's posts

We have the backs. Think about this. Football is about deception and perception. Teams prepare for other teams. We know this. Think about it. Do you think BB should show all his cards this early in the season? Get what he can get out of Phony Maroney and throw Law Firm out there for the nitty gritty (like division games).  How can teams prepare for someone they haven't really seen? THEY CAN'T! 

We have the players but it also comes down to management of them as well. Case in point; It's masterful how he rotates his backs especially Kevin Faulk. Nothing like hitting the 4th quarter and running Faulk up and down the field with a fresh set of legs. Screens, quick passes and draws right up the gut. Gives defenses fits! And then there's playaction! Faulk gets it done too. He has been HUGE for us!

BB knows his chit. Let it ride.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

With Taylor down cutting Maroney would have been a bad move to the depth at that position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diesel12. Show Diesel12's posts

I am all for Ben Jarvis Green Ellis playing over Maroney but we all know it isn't going to happen. Every game BJGE has played he has played well and gained yards. He had a few good games last year when he had a shot to play and was very good in the pre-season. Maroney will still get the nod because the Pats probably don't want more egg on their face from another blown high draft choice. We should still see BJGE get some touches after Maroney runs sideways for the fifth time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis Play Over Laura Maroney... : Maroney's biggest problem with fans is he was a waste of a 1st round draft pick... he's the only 1st round pick  who came in as a rookie looking good, and went downhill from there. You take away that rookie season, and he's done almost nothing worth talking about (certianly nothing any other RB in the NFL couldn't have done).
    Posted by nykrb[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was hoping he'd be like Marion Barber....I'd love to have him on our team.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I can imagine Bill Parcells posting a note on Maroney's locker that says "Laura" - and that's it.....lol.

Mebbe that would motivate him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

BJGE was okay but nothing special. He's no better than Maroney. In fact I'd rather see Maroney take carries over Ellis. We should see him getting in a few carries though. We shall see. Morris is injury prone so the carries got to be split between Maroney and Morris.