Let's end this "Push" rule talk this way....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Let's end this

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you haven't called the penalty all year, if you didn't call it earlier in the game when the Jests did the same thing, than you certainly don't call it in the waning seconds to decide the game just so Vegas can cover the spread.  

I moved on the very next day but some threads keep dragging me back to it...

[/QUOTE]

Very flawed logic.  Be happy you got away with it at a crucial moment in the Saints game.  It is at those moments that the rules need to be enforced.  This let them play mentality is sophomoric.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, a rule is the rule.. but, a 15 yard penalty especially when such a play is of no real advantage to the team committing the infraction.  Like an illegal chuck beyond the 5 yard line against a receiver.  You can chuck a guy awfully hard and it is still 5 yards.  Go figure.

[/QUOTE]

They have stricter penalties for the rules that are in place for player safety.  Some of these plays may not have a big impact on a particular game, but they do have a broader impact because of the effect injuries can have on individuals (whose careers can be ended and whose lives can be affected for the long term), on teams (who have to make up for lost players) and on the league and sport in general (because of legal liability and blows to public image). I know a lot of fans think worrying about player safety is somehow "wimpy," but really it's a good development that will help keep the sport healthy for the future.  And, fom an ethical standpoint, it is just the right thing to do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was not the first time it was ever called. 

[/QUOTE]

When had it been called previously? The stories I've read all say this was the first time anybody had been called for violating this new rule. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well since you want to keep bringing it up

You could see Rex's face and motions on the field that he knew it was called. He didn't want to give the ball back to Brady and he made an unwise football decision that he was pretty sure probably would not be successful.
    He made a bet that it would be called

You could tell in his game presser that he was sure it was just a good break and he was so happy they finally got one ( forgetting TB of course)
    You could tell he didn't want to talk about what he had done with the Refs pre-game

You could tell that when the NY media wasn't giving the full credit to him and the Jets for winning he couldn't stand it. And that is why as a great coach he does what great coaches do and looks at eveyy game tape , implying he never got a tip off from his Bro. Which we know he did.

And you could tell that he knew he "still" wasn't getting credit for the win, when BB said the jets did it too (and yes there is a push - I would never call in a game tying situation either, and for legal beagles - a push is a push, the rule does not differentiate). And Ryan claimed again that he "earned" the win and that was that now lets move on-

Wasn't what was really earned was a 27-27 tie? Saying someone did or did not out play sameone is superfluous. What a team earns is the score that is.

What Rex earned is that he is a little petulant child who will do anything to save his job. He knows it, but will he will delude himself just like his whole family feels entitled to thinking that they are the best of everything.

There are tons of calls not made and Refs as a common sense rule swallow the whistle in times like OT, except for blatant calls that effect a play

I don't doubt it was a penalty. But along with the NY Media, M Francessa, Steven A etc,  I believe that it shouldn't have been called for: the first time in NFL history, in an OT game, In a divisional game with playoff ramifactions for both the AFC East and the AFC in total

And how should the League really have handled it you ask?

When they knew before the weekend games that the penalty was not being called by anyone (20 or so times in over 400 fg attempts). The League like it does with ALL safety related infractions, whether or not the call is made in a game - Like in the Pats / NO game,,,  fine the player or the team after the fact. The ideas is SAFETY. Right????

BECAUSE shouldn't the league be more concerned with  "preventing" unsafe play before it happens? No, instead they send out a private notice to game officials only to start making the call. With only a few coaches who knew it, and they chose instead to get in bed with one coach to get a call by "gotcha rules".

And we shouldn't mention that this ref is from NY, right?

This game should be known as the

Referee and Ryan Gift Game One

or for short 

the RRG1 Game-

I think that is final. lets move on

[/QUOTE]

It might be good practice for the league to share its directions to officials with coaches as a routine practice to avoid any appearance of bias.  But I think the way the league handled it is consistent with their normal practice.  I know people hate that the Jets were able to turn a hard field goal into an easy one because of this penalty, but the penalty was legitimate and ultimately BB has a responsibility to know the rules and coach his players to play within them.  

No excuses. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

pathetic...  from rex to the official to the NFL...    that's the final word...  PATHETIC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

pathetic...  from rex to the official to the NFL...    that's the final word...  PATHETIC.

I know, right?  I hate it when they enforce rules too.  What's next?  Flagging a safety for a hit to the head?  The league is turning into a bunch of woosies.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

You win some, you lose some. The Patriots have won their share.

Squish the Phish!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You could see Rex's face and motions on the field that he knew it was called. He didn't want to give the ball back to Brady and he made an unwise football decision that he was pretty sure probably would not be successful.

You could tell in his game presser that he was sure it was just a good break and he was so happy they finally got one ( forgetting TB of course)
    You could tell he didn't want to talk about what he had done with the Refs pre-game

You could tell that when the NY media wasn't giving the full credit to him and the Jets for winning he couldn't stand it. And that is why as a great coach he does what great coaches do and looks at eveyy game tape , implying he never got a tip off from his Bro. Which we know he did.

And you could tell that he knew he "still" wasn't getting credit for the win, when BB said the jets did it too (and yes there is a push - I would never call in a game tying situation either, and for legal beagles - a push is a push, the rule does not differentiate). And Ryan claimed again that he "earned" the win and that was that now lets move on-

Wasn't what was really earned was a 27-27 tie? Saying someone did or did not out play sameone is superfluous. What a team earns is the score that is.

What Rex earned is that he is a little petulant child who will do anything to save his job. He knows it, but will he will delude himself just like his whole family feels entitled to thinking that they are the best of everything.

There are tons of calls not made and Refs as a common sense rule swallow the whistle in times like OT, except for blatant calls that effect a play

I don't doubt it was a penalty. But along with the NY Media, M Francessa, Steven A etc,  I believe that it shouldn't have been called for: the first time in NFL history, in an OT game, In a divisional game with playoff ramifactions for both the AFC East and the AFC in total

When they knew before the weekend games that the penalty was not being called by anyone (20 or so times in over 400 fg attempts). The League like it does with ALL safety related infractions, whether or not the call is made in a game - Like in the Pats / NO game,,,  fine the player or the team after the fact. The ideas is SAFETY. Right????

BECAUSE shouldn't the league be more concerned with  "preventing" unsafe play before it happens? No, instead they send out a private notice to game officials only to start making the call. With only a few coaches who knew it, and they chose instead to get in bed with one coach to get a call by "gotcha rules".

or for short 

the RRG1 Game-

[/QUOTE]

It might be good practice for the league to share its directions to officials with coaches as a routine practice to avoid any appearance of bias.  But I think the way the league handled it is consistent with their normal practice.  I know people hate that the Jets were able to turn a hard field goal into an easy one because of this penalty, but the penalty was legitimate and ultimately BB has a responsibility to know the rules and coach his players to play within them.  

No excuses. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes and whst I am saying is the normal practice is deeply flawed and it goes directly to the integrity of the league

and Rex is gutless, cause until he was caught. He didn't want anyone to Know what he did, 

The best thing is he knows people don't like games settled that way and that gets under his skin as he knows there are fans even in NY who have problems with him

And in RRG1 the pats didn't even have their top 4 defense men, and everyone knows that too

And for jests fans, the nfl can recognize the win, but as a pats fan I don't and my jet fan friends aren't too cocky about it at all. Either

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

or for short 

the RRG1 Game-

[/QUOTE]

No excuses. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes and whst I am saying is the normal practice is deeply flawed and it goes directly to the integrity of the league

and Rex is gutless, cause until he was caught. He didn't want anyone to Know what he did, 

The best thing is he knows people don't like games settled that way and that gets under his skin as he knows there are fans even in NY who have problems with him

And in RRG1 the pats didn't even have their top 4 defense men, and everyone knows that too

And for jests fans, the nfl can recognize the win, but as a pats fan I don't and my jet fan friends aren't too cocky about it at all. Either

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I think it's fine for coaches to complain about things they see on film or in a game.  But the league should share all those complaints and all instructions to the officials with all teams, so everyone hears the same information. 

Unfortunately, the league doesn't do that now, which is why there's nothing out of the ordinary about how they treated Rex or the Pats.  But I do agree, the normal approach isn't the best.  It would be far better to make all complaints and all directions public every week so no one has any unfair advantage and there's no appearance of bias. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

or for short 

the RRG1 Game-

No excuses. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I think it's fine for coaches to complain about things they see on film or in a game.  But the league should share all those complaints and all instructions to the officials with all teams, so everyone hears the same information. 

Unfortunately, the league doesn't do that now, which is why there's nothing out of the ordinary about how they treated Rex or the Pats.  But I do agree, the normal approach isn't the best.  It would be far better to make all complaints and all directions public every week so no one has any unfair advantage and there's no appearance of bias. 

[/QUOTE]

Correct, if I thought the game was fixed, I would no longer watch, and Rex is gutless no matter how they run things. and the call was still bush league. and there is nothing to be done cause the league is run be imbeciles

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Should we just end it with this:

Hate to say it but the flag was the right call.  Seriously, if you are the ref watching this how could you not make this call?

We need to learn the rules better.  Apparently there was a clinic held with the team explaining this new rule.  Why did we still do it?  Cost us the game.  Dumb decision by rex to kick a fg that far out.

[/QUOTE]

It was a call by the books but not a good call.

Look at the arm bar vs. NO on the last play. the replay shows Brady was releasing the ball befor the rusher would have gotten to him & arm bars are marginal & lots of holding on Chanlder Jones entire game == no call. The no call was the good call.

Message to refs: NEXT time a bizzar rule comes on the books please call it a couple times in the first quarter to give notice to ALL teams that its going to be enforced. PLEASE don't decide a game the first time it is called!!!  I mean for the pats or against the pats, any game any team.