Let's Take a Step Back and Appreciate What We Have

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Let's Take a Step Back and Appreciate What We Have

Whether we win the Super Bowl this year or not, I can honestly say that I've gained a whole new appreciation for Belichick this season.

We're not the most talented team but we're 5-1. There are more talented teams like the 49ers, Cowboys, Chargers, maybe even the Saints that wish they were 5-1. Two of those teams (49ers and Chargers) play in weak divisions and they still can't manage more than 2 wins.

I see the way the Saints are playing right now and the media blames it on injuries but I don't buy that one bit. It's one thing to lose players and lose games that you still battle through but that's not what the Saints are doing. Seeing that made me appreciate how great of a coach Belichick must be since his team always shows up to play; it doesn't matter if they won a title the previous year, went undefeated, lost in the Super Bowl, doesn't matter. They ALWAYS show up to play and I think even that's something we've taken for granted. The 2005 and 2006 teams had every reason to pack it in and play down to certain competition because they were this decade's dynasty. They still competed and came up short. In 2007, they met all of the media's expectations head on and came inches from delivering a 19-0 season. In 2008, they seemingly overcame the Super Bowl hangover and Brady's knee injury to make the playoffs if it weren't for a technicality.

Regardless of the game, situation, player's character, contract situation, whatever, Belichick never throws his player(s) under the bus. EVER. And he's had so many reasons to. I watched the Brad Childress press conference last night and saw him, an incompetent coach, throw a future Hall of Famer in Brett Favre under the bus. Favre deserved it no doubt but a great coach would never do that publicly.

You watch the Cowboys and Chargers play and you realize that you can't even remember the last time the Patriots looked that bad in a game when it came to lack of awareness, intelligence, execution or discipline. They show up, do their job, do what they were coached to do, and 71% of the time go away with a win. I know they got beaten bad by Baltimore last year but it had nothing to do with forgetting rules, forgetting plays, missing obvious assignments, etc. They just got manhandled by a team that was physically superior and seemingly wanted it more.

The way he handles the media is the butt of many jokes but it just goes to show how far he'll go to protect his players. He makes personnel moves and calls plays that are best for the team; if there's any backlash, he handles it allowing the players to just focus on football. This 4th and 1 call, if it were with Dallas or Minnesota, could you imagine the backlash and distractions? Not with Belichick and a Hall of Fame QB in Brady. They move on.

We're 5-1 in a tough AFC with half of our defense as either first or second year players. We shipped off a Hall of Fame receiverd, maybe the best ever, and beat two of the top 5 defenses in the NFL with one being 3,000 miles away in a hostile environment. Not to mention, any major holes we have right now will be addressed in April where we've managed to stockpile critical draft picks. This is rebuilding/retooling time people and we're 5-1. Please ask Detroit, Cleveland, Carolina, and St, Louis if it's always like that. Hell, ask San Francisco if great drafts and acquisitions always equate to wins.

I've always noticed these things about Belichick but for some reason, after seeing the other teams play this past Sunday, I suddenly became even more appreciative of what we have here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Let's Take a Step Back and Appreciate What We Have

Agreed completely. Co-Sign.

Been saying this the whole time.  Look at all the immature and under-prepared teams whom the media rave about over and over.

Look at the coaching, the immaturity, etc.  NE has no immaturity issues and for a D as young as this, it's impressive to see BB guide them into a very good young group.

We are so spoiled here.

The anti-BB media is running out of time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

In Response to Let's Take a Step Back and Appreciate What We Have:
    [QUOTE]This is rebuilding/retooling time people and we're 5-1. Please ask Detroit, Cleveland, Carolina, and St, Louis if it's always like that. Hell, ask San Francisco if great drafts and acquisitions always equate to wins. I've always noticed these things about Belichick but for some reason, after seeing the other teams play this past Sunday, I suddenly became even more appreciative of what we have here.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Great post.  What I quoted above sums it up for me.  The Pats have so many rookies and 2nd year players on Defense and Offense -- it's pretty amazing they are 5-1 at this point.  I also see this year as rebuilding/retooling; how could you not with so many kids playing?  It's been a fun season to watch so far.  The games are exciting and not Pats blow outs and that's to be expected with the current roster of young players.  To expect the Pats to dominate is over the top IMO.  I think the Pats will dominate maybe next year and beyond.  BB is a great coach and I appreciate being a Pats fan.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yeah, we got the best team in the NFL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Let's Take a Step Back and Appreciate What We Have:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let's Take a Step Back and Appreciate What We Have : sounds like you'd be happier as a Bills or Lions fan.  i'm sure they're accepting applications.
    Posted by Mike-J-D[/QUOTE]

lol!!

Mighty isn't one for really contributing to a thread.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I have to admit I thought this team would have some early growing pains, especially on defense, and especially after Warren and Bodden go on IR. I felt good about the offense, but then Fred Taylor gets hurt and they trade Maroney, and I wondered how the hell BJGE and a 5'8" division II running back would carry the load, and whether Mankins' holdout would be a crushing blow.  And then they trade Moss and I wondered if the "share the wealth" philosophy would work with this current corps of receivers.  Lots of questions have presented themselves, all I see is guys stepping up and getting the job done. 

For this team to win in Miami and in SD proves that they are a lot more composed than guys like me gave them credit for.  Lots of young guys are contributing, although the offense and defense plays poorly in spots due to young personnel, mistakes, or general ineffictiveness.  But they find a way to win.  We heard that countless times in the superbowl years -- that good teams find ways to win. 

I am still not sure what to expect for this year.  I never thought they would be a top 5 team even though I was optimistic for the next few years given the young guys and more high draft picks.  But based on what we've seen in after 6 games, is any team head and shoulders above this Pats squad?  Not really.  It's about as wide open as I can remember. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with most of the OP, except the part about the 49ers being more talented?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The other thing, as it has been noted is these tough wins take the mental toughness to get it done, which is big for a younger team.

Also, this builds the character for later in the season. Everyone says "this schedule is brutal", which it is.  But, don't look now, as they are in the meat of it and playing good ball.

The other good thing is, there is room to improve, so it gives BB more to make them chase down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

I like the thread and I am on board with it all. It makes a pleasent change from the general tone of discontentment after a W on the road (a long road actually).

We have had a number of "BB Rules" threads this year which is satisfying. Who do guys want in his place????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Let's Take a Step Back and Appreciate What We Have:
    [QUOTE]Whether we win the Super Bowl this year or not, I can honestly say that I've gained a whole new appreciation for Belichick this season. We're not the most talented team but we're 5-1. There are more talented teams like the 49ers, Cowboys, Chargers, maybe even the Saints that wish they were 5-1. Two of those teams (49ers and Chargers) play in weak divisions and they still can't manage more than 2 wins. I see the way the Saints are playing right now and the media blames it on injuries but I don't buy that one bit. It's one thing to lose players and lose games that you still battle through but that's not what the Saints are doing. Seeing that made me appreciate how great of a coach Belichick must be since his team always shows up to play; it doesn't matter if they won a title the previous year, went undefeated, lost in the Super Bowl, doesn't matter. They ALWAYS show up to play and I think even that's something we've taken for granted. The 2005 and 2006 teams had every reason to pack it in and play down to certain competition because they were this decade's dynasty. They still competed and came up short. In 2007, they met all of the media's expectations head on and came inches from delivering a 19-0 season. In 2008, they seemingly overcame the Super Bowl hangover and Brady's knee injury to make the playoffs if it weren't for a technicality. Regardless of the game, situation, player's character, contract situation, whatever, Belichick never throws his player(s) under the bus. EVER. And he's had so many reasons to. I watched the Brad Childress press conference last night and saw him, an incompetent coach, throw a future Hall of Famer in Brett Favre under the bus. Favre deserved it no doubt but a great coach would never do that publicly. You watch the Cowboys and Chargers play and you realize that you can't even remember the last time the Patriots looked that bad in a game when it came to lack of awareness, intelligence, execution or discipline. They show up, do their job, do what they were coached to do, and 71% of the time go away with a win. I know they got beaten bad by Baltimore last year but it had nothing to do with forgetting rules, forgetting plays, missing obvious assignments, etc. They just got manhandled by a team that was physically superior and seemingly wanted it more. The way he handles the media is the butt of many jokes but it just goes to show how far he'll go to protect his players. He makes personnel moves and calls plays that are best for the team; if there's any backlash, he handles it allowing the players to just focus on football. This 4th and 1 call, if it were with Dallas or Minnesota, could you imagine the backlash and distractions? Not with Belichick and a Hall of Fame QB in Brady. They move on. We're 5-1 in a tough AFC with half of our defense as either first or second year players. We shipped off a Hall of Fame receiverd, maybe the best ever, and beat two of the top 5 defenses in the NFL with one being 3,000 miles away in a hostile environment. Not to mention, any major holes we have right now will be addressed in April where we've managed to stockpile critical draft picks. This is rebuilding/retooling time people and we're 5-1. Please ask Detroit, Cleveland, Carolina, and St, Louis if it's always like that. Hell, ask San Francisco if great drafts and acquisitions always equate to wins. I've always noticed these things about Belichick but for some reason, after seeing the other teams play this past Sunday, I suddenly became even more appreciative of what we have here.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]Great Post. Very lucky to have this Owner, Coach and Team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

What's got two thumbs and loves being 5-1?