Life After Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Life After Brady

Whether by attrition or age, I believe Tom only has 2 more years of quality productivity left, barring a serious injury.  He is still one of the top 5 QBs in the league, but is showing signs of physical decline. 

It could be plausibly argued that Brady should have at least attempted to rush for the 4 yards and a first down to keep the Patriots alive in the playoffs, and in fact, a younger and/or more mobile QB, like Kaepernick, RG3, Ryan, Rogers, Newton, Wilson or anybody else not named Manning, could have rushed for that first down.  

It doesn't seem like the Patriots are prepared for life after Brady, if they are serious about trading Mallet.  Maybe management has decided that Mallet doesn't have the tools to lead the team in the post Brady era. I don't know.  It just seems to me that finding a high quality franchise QB is very difficult to do, but makes the difference beween a great team that can compete for the super bowl every year or not.

The post Brady era will be upon us before we know it and I think this is a situation that the Patriots need to be planning for now.  Clearly we won't address this in the draft this year.  Its highly unlikely to pick up a franchise QB in FA, so I guess BB thinks he can get lucky in the draft in 2014 to begin grooming ??    

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Life After Brady

Send all concerns to bbelichich@newenglandpatriots.com

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Only 2 years? His contract is guaranteed so the Pats obviously feel he will play til at least 40. I think he can do it if the Pats tweak the offense, which obviously they are doing this year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

It could be plausibly argued that Brady should have at least attempted to rush for the 4 yards and a first down to keep the Patriots alive in the playoffs, and in fact, a younger and/or more mobile QB, like Kaepernick, RG3, Ryan, Rogers, Newton, Wilson or anybody else not named Manning, could have rushed for that first down.  

Brady was not going to make it.  He was going to get drilled, possibly decapitated.  Then the "Life After Brady" would have begun on the very next play.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Brady was not going to make it.  He was going to get drilled, possibly decapitated.  Then the "Life After Brady" would have begun on the very next play.

The problem with his running or lack thereof is that he waits too long to do it. Go look at how he handled those situations before his injury. Now, he waits, waits some more, runs to the side, and then waits some more for someone to break open, before actually running forward.

It's to the point where no one really respects the idea that he may run because they know he doesn't want to.

That's really the whole problem. There are numerous times in games where you can see he could run for 5 yards with ease and he still waits for guys to break open.

At his age you have to measure risk/reward, knowing his backup has not played any meaningful snaps.  If it was positively a first down to put a playoff game away then the reward is there.  Any other time I'd take a pass.  Pretty sure BB would too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Pointing to that play is so meaningless. Really. And assuming he only has 2 years left is a stretch.

The problem is you dont really know how much time he has. It could be one year it could be five. Who knows. But you do have to be looking for his replacement. If they do not trade Mallett maybe it is Mallett. He has a strong arm and he is learning. But if they trade Mallett then they need to start the search again. This may make sense (unless they beleive Mallett is a superstar in waiting) because it is unlikely a good QB would want to sit an additional 3-5 years.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

He'll be the Pats QB for at least another two years. I think three. that said, I'd really like them to get an extra first rounder next year as the draft then may yield a nice crop of QBs, that could take over  two to three years later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

So when he's gone we run the ball and hope we can get a game manager to replace him. Ray rice really helped flacco get where he is today.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The continuing clicking down of the window of opportunity for Brady is why I am so upset with the wholesale change in the WR corp. The Pats was one play away from winning the SB last year, and lost to the eventual winner of SB in the AFC Championship game (neither game saw the full service of Gronk) , after racking up impressive offensive stats in the regular season. The offense can use improvement by some addition, but did it need throwing out all the WR on staff and replacing them with second tier players (based on past performance) who had never played with Brady before?

It will be great if the new WRs turned out to be good, and my concerns were unfounded.  But if they cannot get on the same page with Brady because timing, chemistry and communication never developed, or they just cannot learn the playbook, it is not like BB can just say: we'll try something else again in 2014, when Brady will be 37, and other key players getting one year older as well.

People here were initially very enthusiastic about the signing of Llyod and Ochocinco,  ( Galloway? the returning Branch?) as well.  Wish the hope will match the reality when the season starts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The switch to a defense-centric Patriot's team will prolong Brady's career and chances of winning more rings.  Offense alone hasn't won us anything except regular season acclaim.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The switch to a defense-centric Patriot's team will prolong Brady's career and chances of winning more rings.  Offense alone hasn't won us anything except regular season acclaim.

That may be true, but if the offense stinks and running a lot of 3 and outs, the defense will eventually break. Balance is needed on both sides.

In addition to the brand new WR corp, which can affect Brady's ability to quoickly get rid of the ball, the Pats also lost Thomas, Woodhead, who picks up blitz much better than Ridley, Vereen or Bolden, and maybe Vollmer. Those may  increase vulnerabilty for Brady to get heavy hits from oposing defense, or god forbids, injury.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

RidingWithTheKing

So you do agree that the Pats were close in winning those big games. I do not put the blame solely on the WR or Welker, but the fix in the offense this year is primarily in the WR corp.

My feeling is that the Pats can improve the offense by addition and did not need to gamble with wholesale change at this stage of Brady's age and career.  It is a matter of faith to think the changes will force Brady to get better. It can just as easily lead to a further breakdown of the effectivenes of the offense because the new pieces do not fit. That is a gamble not needed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Im the REAL KING. Show Im the REAL KING's posts

I'm going to go out on a Limb here.

I was having a Divine moment reading my K Cup tea leaves and it said Tom Brady will be injured between week 3 and 6 of the regular football season. It will be a year ending shoulder injury..........................Wes Welker was crying so hard on it that it became totally soft and will fall apart.                  

Mr. Mullett,, sorry, Mr. Mallet will come in and actually throw the football so hard that it will go through Arron Hernandez body into Gronkowski's spine, bouncing off and knocking Amendola's left arm clean off!       I will consult the tea leaves for more information.      

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Let me guess. It's " erball " tea.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

TB did lock in on Moss and then Welker

But too, we also lost our toughest player
             - Gronk
    in the last SB and Raven Game so we did
    not had our dynamite TE's in either
    and in smash mouth games - it makes it to tough
    to win

LLoyd was a good signing, didn't work out
     - but it is
    the first time I heard there were behind
    the scenes issues- we do need real speed
    there

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Belichick is gone after Brady retires. He isn't going to sit through a rebuilding process

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

i disagree about him not making it, i think he could have/woud have, but that last sentence was hilarious lmao.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Send all concerns to bbelichich@newenglandpatriots.com

You might want to spell his name right.