Light needs to go when Vollmer can return....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Light needs to go when Vollmer can return....

Of course other factors play into this but . . . .

Light       (3-4)    7 games 142pts  20.2 ppg
    Vollmer    (4-1)    5 games 186pts  37.2 ppg

Neal also needs to get healthy for the stretch run. NE's offense is not the same when he is not in the game . . . witness the SB two seasons ago when he left in the first quarter. Connoly is a practice squad offensive lineman.

As far as where they stick Light? On the bench for all I care. His pass-pro has degraded the last two seasons, and it seems the team is even having trouble running behind him this year -- which was his redeeming quality the last two years.

He is a charitable guy, a great teammate, and for a while defined the term 'technician' on the OL by winning battles with his mind and technique against superior athletes. But that isn't the case anymore.

Kazcur is terrib le. I mean awful. Two games have ended with him giving up a sack, and his play in the 4th Q against Indy basically lost that game on 'O,' but for some reason this offense works better with Vollmer.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Light needs to go when Vollmer can return....

In Response to Light needs to go when Vollmer can return....:
    [QUOTE]Of course other factors play into this but . . . . Light       (3-4)    7 games 142pts  20.2 ppg Vollmer    (4-1)    5 games 186pts  37.2 ppg Neal also needs to get healthy for the stretch run. NE's offense is not the same when he is not in the game . . . witness the SB two seasons ago when he left in the first quarter. Connoly is a practice squad offensive lineman. As far as where they stick Light? On the bench for all I care. His pass-pro has degraded the last two seasons, and it seems the team is even having trouble running behind him this year -- which was his redeeming quality the last two years. He is a charitable guy, a great teammate, and for a while defined the term 'technician' on the OL by winning battles with his mind and technique against superior athletes. But that isn't the case anymore. Kazcur is terrib le. I mean awful. Two games have ended with him giving up a sack, and his play in the 4th Q against Indy basically lost that game on 'O,' but for some reason this offense works better with Vollmer. Thoughts?
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

If he can truly play both sides, the team might benefit more overall from Vollmer replacing Kaczur instead of Light.

I know Vollmer is better than Light, but he's also much, much better than Kaczur.

Honestly, I just don't know anymore.

Force Light to get over his ego and move him to the right side.  Tell him it's either the right side or the bench.  Cut him if you have to so he doesn't take down the locker room.

Another idea would be to have Vollmer on the left and Levoir on the right - they seemed to do alright against the Jets (although Levoir came into that game to replace Vollmer - I haven't seen him play the right side)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

They tried Light at LT a long time ago and it didn't work well.  Vollmer could probably do better there.  It would be good however, if Light gave it another try.  Kaczur is not good.

As for Vollmer, his concussion has me worried.  They say that once you have had a concussion, more come easier.  He must have had a good one to keep him out of the lineup so long.  I really hope he doesn't become prone to repeated concussions.  The guy is a keeper.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Light needs to go when Vollmer can return....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Light needs to go when Vollmer can return.... : If he can truly play both sides, the team might benefit more overall from Vollmer replacing Kaczur instead of Light. I know Vollmer is better than Light, but he's also much, much better than Kaczur. Honestly, I just don't know anymore. Force Light to get over his ego and move him to the right side.  Tell him it's either the right side or the bench.  Cut him if you have to so he doesn't take down the locker room. Another idea would be to have Vollmer on the left and Levoir on the right - they seemed to do alright against the Jets (although Levoir came into that game to replace Vollmer - I haven't seen him play the right side)
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Playing Vollmer on the right seems like it might work. But for everything I have seen he has only taken reps at LT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They tried Light at LT a long time ago and it didn't work well.  Vollmer could probably do better there.  It would be good however, if Light gave it another try.  Kaczur is not good. As for Vollmer, his concussion has me worried.  They say that once you have had a concussion, more come easier.  He must have had a good one to keep him out of the lineup so long.  I really hope he doesn't become prone to repeated concussions.  The guy is a keeper.
    Posted by carawaydj

With the time he has missed, I can't help but think his neck is actually involved and it is not a simple concusion.

Plus BB is notorious for taking it easy on rookies.

Getting Kaczur off the field is priority #1. If the Pats' brass can't see this on film, they are blind. Denver, Indy, and Miami were three losses where Kazcur was simply blown up in the fourth Q when it was on the line.

Two plays in a row in Indy at that. If they have another Rt there, who is servicable, then they win at least two of those games.

However, the larger point is that the line is STILL better with Vollmer at LT and Light on the pine. So if it comes to it, Vollmer should play LT.

You shouldn't make two spots weaker instead of making one stronger. Just play your best LT at Lt and your best RT at RT. If for some reason Vollmer nor Light can play RT, then sit Light.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

If I were a Pats fan I would wholeheartedly agree. From what I've seen of him, I thought he's been doing much better than Light this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If I were a Pats fan I would wholeheartedly agree. From what I've seen of him, I thought he's been doing much better than Light this year.
    Posted by number1troll

I consider all of our frequent trolls Pats fans in a weird, somewhat sick kind of way.  Why else would you want to hang out with us so much?  Just admit it, you guys like us.  You might root for the Colts by day, but somewhere in one of your closets is a Pats Jersey you only wear in the house lol.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Light needs to go when Vollmer can return....:
    Of course other factors play into this but . . . . Light       (3-4)    7 games 142pts  20.2 ppg Vollmer    (4-1)    5 games 186pts  37.2 ppg Neal also needs to get healthy for the stretch run. NE's offense is not the same when he is not in the game . . . witness the SB two seasons ago when he left in the first quarter. Connoly is a practice squad offensive lineman. As far as where they stick Light? On the bench for all I care. His pass-pro has degraded the last two seasons, and it seems the team is even having trouble running behind him this year -- which was his redeeming quality the last two years. He is a charitable guy, a great teammate, and for a while defined the term 'technician' on the OL by winning battles with his mind and technique against superior athletes. But that isn't the case anymore. Kazcur is terrib le. I mean awful. Two games have ended with him giving up a sack, and his play in the 4th Q against Indy basically lost that game on 'O,' but for some reason this offense works better with Vollmer. Thoughts?
    Posted by zbellino
    I said three weeks ago. Move Light to right tackle and put Kaczur at right Guard. If NeaL can't stay healthy. Kaczur is better suited and would make a good Guard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"Neal also needs to get healthy for the stretch run."

Neal getting healthy is as close to a football oxymoron as you can get.  Even when healthy he always manages to get hurt in our biggest/final game of the year.  I don't think he has ever made it out of the first half of any of those games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

I read somewhere that light cant play right tackle and that vollmer can so i have to think vollmer will replace kaczur this season

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Bottom line:  the Pats have to draft a RT in this year's draft period!  Besides the fact that Kaczur is a liability out there, his salary is due to climb up to $5 mil for next season which is nearly as much as what Matt Light will be getting payed.  For this reason, I have to belive that Kaczur will become a cap casualty and therefore will be cut in the offseason.

As far as Neal is concerned, he's a free agent after this season so he's as good as gone.  I fully expect Mankins to be re-signed due to the fact that we don't currently have a whole lot of depth along the o-line like we did in the past, and when you consider how many of the current starters will be free agents either this offseason or the next, I think Mankins becomes a necessity if for no other reason that there needs to be some sort of continuity along the o-line in order for it to be successful.

Overall I fully expect two of the Patriots draft picks to be dedicated to the o-line in this upcoming draft.  I know that Belichick is from the Parcells coaching tree and thus knows that you build a successful football team through solidifying the trenches on the O/D-lines.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This year, we have the answer to fix the line on the roster but some though decisions need to be made.  I think Voll is the present and future once healthy on that LT side.  He can get snaps and gain the experience plus give BB what he needs to be convinced (as he's not already) that Voll is the LT for the Pats (a steal BTW).

In the draft we do need to bring some good roks to compete and rebuild that line although I think we have enough to put together a good line right now and let those guys sit for a year or two and learn.  I'm more concerned with the D line, we have nothing there to build on other than VW and he's just been asked to do too much and is getting tired later in games.  The best cover downfield is a good rush something we've been missing for years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

extending kaczur was a mistake

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

[QUOTE]extending kaczur was a mistake
    Posted by rebels1520[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but that really doesn't matter at this point.  As far as I'm concerned with 2010 shaping up to be an uncapped year, the Pats can afford to cut guys like Kaczur and Adalius Thomas (despite the immediate cap hit) with the idea of lowering the teams total salary cap figure.  Getting just those two salaries off the books should save at least $12 mil combined.

I think that you will see many other teams employ a very similar strategy such as with Oakland finally ending the Jemarcus Russel experiment etc.... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Put Vollmer next to Kaczur on the right side as Brady's "insurance".  This team doesn't use or need a Tight End anymore.  Belichick should bench Watson and play Vollmer to allow Brady sufficient time in the pocket to complete passes against the 3 man rush.