Linebackers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Linebackers

Maybin, Maulauga or Barwin would all be impact players for the Pats.

I would be happy with any of them. Maulauga would make the most immediate impact. The other 2 would take a little time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

Linebackers

I think that if the team goes OLB/ILB or ILB/OLB that our line backing unit could become a strength but that 2004 team was a bunch of play makers who always came up with a sack, fumble, short yardage stop or pick when it was needed and they were all veterans who had who played for at least 7-8 seasons except Colvin..

Thomas is a pro bowl caliber player who is as good on the outside as any of of those 3 and I think he is going to have a huge season.

Mayo has a chance to be special and Guyton has the speed that can be a huge factor in covering backs and te's and I think that they will both take a step forward although neither has the sledge hammer short yardage stuffage the Johnson brought to the table.

Not sure what to make of Woods & Crable and would have been happy to get a 2nd rounder for Woods if someone was to sign him to an offer sheet & I see Crable as Woods replacement after this season..

I hope the team stays away from Peppers. I would rather have the picks, the youth and the cap space..

Now if the team was to draft English / Cushing and they lived up to expectations in a year or so we could have the best deepest LB corp in the league just like 2003/2004

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Linebackers

I was watching the 2004 Superbowl, and it struck me how great the Linebackers were. I mean, I guess I knew that already, but, boy, they were great! Vrabel, McGinest and Colvin on the outside. Bruschi, Johnson and Phifer on the inside.

How does that compare to this year? Right now: Thomas, Woods and Banta-Cain (maybe Crable) on the outside and Mayo, Guyton and [an aged] Bruschi on the inside.

Even if the Patriots add Peppers or Taylor and/or a draft pick like English, Cushing, Sintim, Laurinaitis or Matthews, it doesn't compare to that 2004 group.

What do you guys think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Linebackers

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Linebackers

good way to look at the LB's Ritchie

Not that I'm all for the Peppers move BUT what IF?

Peppers/Thomas/Mayo/Crable,Barwin or English
    Big Sey/Wilfork/Warren
    was our front 7. Then slide Thomas back out to bring Guyton to the middle. I think that could be very nasty. I can't see any reason to put 8 in the box with these fronts. There would be so many ways to rotate and keep guy's fresh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Linebackers

I think no matter how it works out, we should be pretty excited. Peppers, Taylor, Barwin, or English will be added to the outside. We still have Crable, Woods, TBC, and Redd. Inside, we could either shift Thomas if the above OLBs work out, or we could draft Maualuga, Brinkley, Mauga, or some other prospect. Maybe Guyton steps it up. Perhaps Bruschi recovers some youth with a longer offseason.

Certain scenarios look better than others, I'll admit, but regardless of how it shakes out, I'm pretty optimistic about our LB corps. I think it can be every bit as good--if not better than!--the the '03 and '04 crew.

Let's go win another two in a row, shall we?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Linebackers

While we're talking linebackers . . .

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f5af7c

Enjoy! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Linebackers

Mayo and Ad Thomas are excellent.

As for Crable, I think he's going to be good. He has excellent physical tools. A year of studying and lifting weights will be good for him.

That fourth spot is a plug-in spot. Bruschi can play run on third and 1 but he can't defend against the pass. Seau plays run too, and surfer joe can only take about 4 weeks of pounding if BB calls him in December. Woods and Guyton are decent for undrafted free agents and would start for Indianapolis.

Given that BB needs 5 good linebackers on staff plus a linebacker-safety tweener for use against certain teams, I see 2 defensive end/linebackers and one flyweight linebacker being drafted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Linebackers

THe LB with the most potential is Maybin. He has a special kind of quickness.

The problem is that he left after sophomre season. He is raw.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Linebackers

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/22/san-diego-state-linebackers-stock-rising/

never would have thought the pats would have any intreast in a LB that weighs less then 240lbs.but they had some scouts there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

Linebackers

I always think about the Johnson surprise retirement as the biggest loss in that offseason, much more so than the OC, DC's. You are right about that 2004 team, though... I think it is easy to forget just how good they were and the true place of that 2003 & 2004 team in the whole history of the NFL. 21 straight!

I'm surprised that so many guys here actually think the Pats are going to bring in some of these 6'1 or 6'2 OLB rookie prospects... BB goes for size, and with 3 young OLBs 6'4+, 250+ with system experience I don't see us taking any OLB in the draft. If there is a guy that can slip into the ILB, with 'true' size and speed I think they will surprise us with ILB. With the injuries up front last year, I expect DL or OL help with the higher picks though, the Pats system starts in the trenches.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Linebackers

LT was the best football player to have ever played...IMHO....despite the fact he was a Jint.

Mauluga cannot sniff his jock. We cannot compare any LB to LT....its not fair.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Linebackers

- Richie_az

Nice comparision. You could also say that about our defensive backfield. Although it's young and has an upside it doesn't compare either. That's clearly where we need to go. Luckily we can get those players in the first three rounds of the draft.

Remember when you could get solid OL in rounds four and five!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Linebackers

- faucetman

I never thought I'd see Maualuga fall this far. I don't understand it. I never got involved in conversations on the guy because I thought getting him was fantasy. The Pats need to move to get this guy. He might move back up as the draft nears because the scouts start going back to game films and they have tons on this guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Linebackers

I just watched some video of Larry English and Michael Johnson.

Larry English has excellent speed around the corner. I would take him over Barwin, since English is more polished.

M. Johnson would be a Defensive End. He has the frame to bulk up and has great speed and quickness.

I would be happy with these 2 as out first 2 picks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Linebackers

I agree that Thomas and Mayo are excellent (I believe in a few years Mayo will be one of the top 5 ILB in the NFL).
    Bruschi is more a situational player now. He's real smart and doesn't miss a read, but he's certainly "lost a step" (as they say). Last year he played about 1/3 of the defensive snaps. He may not play even that many this year.
    Guyton had a few more snaps than Bruschi last year. How they got this guy as an undrafted rookie FA is beyond me. He played real well and has a lot of speed, but he's also got a long way to go before he's a legitimate starter. Hopefully he'll work very hard this summer and make some real strides.
    Woods isn't good enough to be a starter yet. If he keeps working hard and improving, he may one day be a starter. But right now he's a back up. He's a good player to rotate in to give the starters a breather, and he has a lot of value on special teams.
    Banta-Cain. Kind of a known unknown. He's got 15 starts, including 5 with the Patriots. 2006 was certainly his best year, and he looked like he might be a marginal starter. If he can return to that level of play, he might be a starter. Then again, he might not make the final cut. Who knows?
    Crable was a disappointment last year. Maybe this year he'll actually get to play a snap. He could surprise me and significantly improve and win the starting job. Or maybe he plays poorly and doesn't even make the team. Right now he's a big unknown.
    All the rest of the LBs, if they even make the team, will be back ups contributing on special teams.

So, as I see it, the real need right now is OLB. The Patriots need a starting OLB. If it's Peppers or Taylor or a rookie, who knows? But they do need someone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Linebackers

I'm watching another video of LT on youtube, and they keep praising him as a psychopath. Which linebacker in this draft best fits that "psychopath" description?

Maualuga
    ?

Does anybody else stand out as just a vicious hitter who relishes contact and destruction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDZE8LnjYI

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Linebackers

I wasn't comparing anybody to LT ability-wise, and certainly not a mid-first round inside linebacker. I'm just talking about a love for violent hits. I can't think of any other prospects that seem particularly violent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Linebackers

I don't see Peppers coming either. Very nice player but it would disrupt the cap practices the Pats have in place. I just see it blowing up. We wouldn't be able to resign anybody. Bye-bye.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Linebackers

Bring in J. Seau and J. Taylor and draft a talented ILB and OLB. Then the rookies can learn from the best. Let Bruschi retire. I think Seau is a beter backup than Bruschi. Maybe spice it up and let D. Brooks be OLB backup to J. Taylor. Then we will have both talent and experience.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Linebackers

if we get Peppers, we almost certainly will lose Wilfork and Mankins at the end of this season. So no way, dont even want him near our team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Linebackers

[Quote]GREAT Takes! I am hoping our LB Corp comes around this year.

BuzzCal
    "The Ultimate Sports Calendar"
    [/Quote] Do the calendars have pretty good up to date pics on them?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

Linebackers

GREAT Takes! I am hoping our LB Corp comes around this year.

BuzzCal
    "The Ultimate Sports Calendar"