Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour's future....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour's future....

Logan Mankins - All-Pro Quality Guard.  I doubt the Patriots will be able to pay him his market value especially with the big dollars offensive guards are getting.   The Patriots can franchise him next year and keep him around as long as possible or trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guard needy team.   The Patriots should draft a stud offensive guard in the 2nd round and hope he starts this season or the very least can replace Mankins in the future.

Richard Seymour - I don't see Seymour being a Patriot after next season.  He's getting up there in age and this will be his last big contract and there's always a crappy team that thinks by overpaying for a future Hall of Fame with some years left in him will be able to make them a contender.   Seymour has been great for the Patriots, but letting him go via free agency makes sense for the future of the franchise.

Vince Wilfork - He's young and unblockable.  The Patriots will never let him go. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour's future....

you have a bad sense of value man, everytime i read your threads and you talk about trading someone you are always way off the mark. Did you really just say that we can only get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Mankins? are you insane? Mankins is teh best LG in football and his best years are in front of him, if we were going to trade him which i dont think we will do we would get at the very least a 1st round pick if not more. Did you see what teh Eagles just gave up for Peters? Logan Mankins would get way more then a 3rd or 2nd round pick. And Richard Seymore is not even 30 yet!!! Last time i checked we signed guys that are way older, Gallaway is 37 years old. Roman phiffer was 37 when we finally cut him loose. Age means jack sh*t to Bill Belichick so Seymores age has nothing to do with his contract situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

You sign Mankins and Wilfork.  They are young and talented.  Seymour may be on his way out if some kind of agreement can't be reached.  That hurts.

This draft however should concentrate on the pass rush that was null and void last year.  Even after FA it still isn't fixed. 

The Pats will probably trade a lot of their picks of this draft to next year's.  Your arguement is a year early.  It looks like the Pats will be loading up for next year to me.  They'll trade what they can.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

You can't pay everybody, so the key to success in today's NFL is identifying quality and locking it up as best you can for as long as you can. The Pats have shown they won't be held hostage by guys like Deion Branch and Asante Samuel, so you have to pick your spots. Personally, I think Mankins is harder to replace than Seymour, but both of these guys are top-echelon at their positions. A nose tackle is, by definition, a certain physical type, and dominant ones are few and far between. Painful as it may be, out of the three, the most dispensible one is Seymour. Killa is absolutely right about the market value of a guy like Mankins, but you can't get your back over a barrel in contract negotiations (waiting too long) or other teams know your hands are tied (Matt Cassel). It's all timing, and when you have a key group of guys like this all looking for contracts at the same time, that devalues your bargaining position a little because there's only so much $$$ to go around. This is why the constant chatter about bringing Julius Peppers to the Pats is so annoying. Any discussion of Julius Peppers would have to start with the jettisoning of Richard Seymour, and in the Pats current scheme, that is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I find the Peppers talk annoying as well.  There just isn't enough cash. 

If Mankins plays hardball he's gone.  That is no secret.  This goes for Wilfork as well.  The Pats don't play that game at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

In a perfect world, Seymour would be a Patriot till he retires but with free agency and the salary cap that's impossible.  I would love for the Patriots to sign Mankins long term but if they can't, hopefully they get trade value for him if he does have to go like Deion Branch, Tebucky Jones, or Matt Cassel. 

Yeah if you can't get a 1st round pick for Mankins, you try to get a 2nd or 3rd pick for him, because it's better than letting him run away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]You sign Mankins and Wilfork.  They are young and talented.  Seymour may be on his way out if some kind of agreement can't be reached.  That hurts. This draft however should concentrate on the pass rush that was null and void last year.  Even after FA it still isn't fixed.  The Pats will probably trade a lot of their picks of this draft to next year's.  Your arguement is a year early.  It looks like the Pats will be loading up for next year to me.  They'll trade what they can.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    Why would the pats trade their picks away this year, for next year. That makes no sense. This is one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. The Value is in the 2nd and 3rd round of the 2009 Draft.I can maybee see the Pats trade #34 for a first round next year. But that would be it. Pats will be locking and Loading this year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

The Pats must keep Wilfork, its almost impossible to find a 3-4 nose of his caliber. Same for Mankins, keep him unless you can't.  Let Seymour walk, he's not as good as the other two, and it is much easier to find a DE replacement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

money,and cap-room will be the biggest factor.plus look to see what positions gets drafted this weekend.for they could be the future.as for wilfork.they are working on a new contract for him now.its just needs to take both sides to agree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]money,and cap-room will be the biggest factor.plus look to see what positions gets drafted this weekend.for they could be the future.as for wilfork.they are working on a new contract for him now.its just needs to take both sides to agree.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1167019&format=text

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

I don't blame Richard Seymour for going out for a break the bank type contract.  I mean he has a Future Hall OF Fame career, 3 Superbowl rings, if I was him, I'd want to make as much money as possible to end my career if that's with the Bengals or Raiders so be it, he's earned the right to cash in big time.     The one thing about the NFL we've seen, one team will always overpay. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Overpay? No one will overpay Seymore because you cant, he is worth every peny. We wont let him go cause he is not worht the money it will be because we need to resign our two younger players first and then there wont be anything left for him. If we had the money to pay him we would pay him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

woods signed his one year contract.its something like 1.59 million for one year.the pats were at 4 million under the cap.there is just not much they can do.unless they release someone else to free up some cap to resign some of these guys.this is also why they will trade away some of there draft picks.cap space.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

[QUOTE]I find the Peppers talk annoying as well.  There just isn't enough cash.  If Mankins plays hardball he's gone.  That is no secret.  This goes for Wilfork as well.  The Pats don't play that game at all.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately you're 100% right about cap space.  I think it's a major longshot but crazier things have happened in recent memory.  After the Vrabel trade I'm willing to open up to any possibility.  Right now, with an aging team, you're looking at older players who add less value to us but who would add a lot to another team. 

My darkhorse scenario for the draft would involve Seymour getting traded because, as this thread indicates, he seems to be the odd man out next year unless he's willing to play for less - and I know he ain't.  If we move him we get rid of a lot of cap room and I honestly feel he is overvalued on this team.  8 sacks this season is amazing but it's inconsistency in the pass rush that worries me.  A trade like this would shake the team but, from a black and white perspective, if it were Madden you would make the trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I think zbellino has pretty much proven that Seymour is the hardest of the three to replace.  How many stud 3-4 DEs are out there, in the draft or free agency?  How many even mediocre 3-4 DEs are out there?  It seems a lot easier to just throw bodies in at OG or DT than 3-4 DE.  Seymour had a monster year last year before hurting his knee again, so assuming he's healthy, he should be the top priority of the three.  Z, feel free to back me up ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]you have a bad sense of value man, everytime i read your threads and you talk about trading someone you are always way off the mark. Did you really just say that we can only get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Mankins? are you insane? Mankins is teh best LG in football and his best years are in front of him, if we were going to trade him which i dont think we will do we would get at the very least a 1st round pick if not more. Did you see what teh Eagles just gave up for Peters? Logan Mankins would get way more then a 3rd or 2nd round pick. And Richard Seymore is not even 30 yet!!! Last time i checked we signed guys that are way older, Gallaway is 37 years old. Roman phiffer was 37 when we finally cut him loose. Age means jack sh*t to Bill Belichick so Seymores age has nothing to do with his contract situation.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]   I agree with your theory. It's ability, production and  cost.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Richard Seymour cannot be replaced, look at all the teams that are going to a 3-4 D and how hard it is to put the 3 DL together.  We have 4 of the best for a 3-4, if we can't get them signed our D will not be good at all.  We need those guys.

If we can't keep them here are some guys that could be picked up in the 2nd round, if we get our OLB in the 1st round I wouldn't be surprised to see a NT and DE taken somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round.  We need an insurance policy, very good chance we are in for RS's last season as a Patriot.
    2nd Round prospects
    Evander HoodDE-6'4" 295 Listed as DT but in 3-4 would be a DE, he's been looked at by the Pats and has visited Patriot nation HQ.
    Jaron Gilbert DE-6'5" 285-Good against the run and average pass rusher.
    Ron Brace NT-6'3" 325-Played next to Raji so some questions if his success is do to been next to BJ Raji. 
    Paul Kruger DE-6'5" 265 might be too light to play that 3-4 end but an option at pick #58.
    Fili Moala6'4" 305 DT/DE-can play DT in 4-3 or DE in 3-4, late 2nd or early 3rd round.  Is experience and comes from that USC D.  Could be an interesting pick, I like what he brings and could develop to a solid player off the edge.
    3rd Round prospects
    Chris Baker6'2" 300-Another DT that will play DE in 3-4, can get into the backfield and disrupt the play.
    Ricky Jean-Francois 6'3" 289 DE good speed for his size, could be good as a rushing DE but will need work
    Terrance Taylor 6'0" 320 NT he is most likely a 4th rounder but could be the poor man's VW.

I know we can't bring in 11 guys in but I think there will be 7 to 8 guys picked up not necessarily because of needs this year but they will be insurance for next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

you would have to wonder if the pats were to move up,and land tyson jackson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]You sign Mankins and Wilfork.  They are young and talented.  Seymour may be on his way out if some kind of agreement can't be reached.  That hurts. This draft however should concentrate on the pass rush that was null and void last year.  Even after FA it still isn't fixed.  The Pats will probably trade a lot of their picks of this draft to next year's.  Your arguement is a year early.  It looks like the Pats will be loading up for next year to me.  They'll trade what they can.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

+1