Looking at the draft realistically

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Looking at the draft realistically

Rarely in a draft...even in the best draft classes of all time will you get everything out of all your picks.

2008 was considered a very good draft for the ravens...flacco, rice, zbikowski...they had 10 picks that draft.  everyone else drafted is either an okay backup, special teamer, or no longer on the team.

the pats had 5 guys drafted in the first 3 rounds...usually a round where you hope to get impact players.  unfortunately not all of these guys will pan out as we hope...
    lets be real...we see the potential in all of these players...but almost every player in the first 2 rounds has potential...thats why theyre taken there.
    WHO DO YOU TIHNK WILL WORK OUT AND WHO WONT

I personally dont see much in cunningham...i dont see him having much of an impact.  I see McCourty will be a servicable corner...i dont know if he'll be great but he should be okay.  Gronkowski i see having heath miller type numbers, i like the pick.  Hernandez i see playing the Ben WAtson type of role.  He'll be a mismatch, dunno how effective he'll be though.
    Spikes is interesting, hes got good football instincts and is supposedly a great leader...however, he played with a ton of talent around him in FLA which could have made him look better, his combine wasnt great either.

Taylor Price imho will either be a player who never takes the field for us or could be a great WR...

Im not trying to be a pessimist...but if you get 2-3 good players in a draft, its considered a good draft.  we have 13 picks....ive 2-3 are good players ill be happy.  but that would mean 10 picks didnt work out as we hoped

what do you guys think?  How do you see our guys working out.  And let me say, im hope im wrong.  I hope all these players turn out as BB hopes they do...but ir rarely works out that way

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoBS14. Show NoBS14's posts

Re: Looking at the draft realistically

I deny to jump in the hypewagon on any of these draft picks. I will believe it, when I see it --- come September.

Btw...on a side note....I am not sure about most, but I am really have a very tough time getting over the fact that we are still lacking pass rush and and IMPACT player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I love the draft, but you're right that you can't expect everyone to pan out.  I think the success of this draft very much weighs on how McCourty and Cunningham end up.  One of those two needs to turn into a starter for the Pats.  I think you're right about Cunningham being the biggest if, but he's a better candidate for OLB than Dunlap and he has shown a decent pass rush ability, so I think it's a good pick. It's just a relatively high pick, so if it doesn't work out, it's a bad pick to have wasted and it will hurt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: Looking at the draft realistically:
    I love the draft, but you're right that you can't expect everyone to pan out.  I think the success of this draft very much weighs on how McCourty and Cunningham end up.  One of those two needs to turn into a starter for the Pats.  I think you're right about Cunningham being the biggest if, but he's a better candidate for OLB than Dunlap and he has shown a decent pass rush ability, so I think it's a good pick. It's just a relatively high pick, so if it doesn't work out, it's a bad pick to have wasted and it will hurt.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Prior to three days ago I don't recall anyone saying Cunnignham was a better OLB candidate than Dunlap.  What changed?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Looking at the draft realistically:
    In Response to Re: Looking at the draft realistically : Prior to three days ago I don't recall anyone saying Cunnignham was a better OLB candidate than Dunlap.  What changed?
    Posted by sfpat

I think Dunlap is more of a down lineman. I think most people thought he was a better DE than Cunningham, but I think Cunningham is the more likely guy to convert to OLB.  I think that's why the Pats took him over Dunlap (who most people rated higher).